Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Would be a crime not to post this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3E3Y3LW0X4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Ooh, heres a compilation:

http://vid46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/renir/titotalklast_zpsrb29kfam.mp4

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Tito speaking is one of the true great joys that remain in my sad life

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
These numbers for Bellator are pretty drat dire. https://twitter.com/shaunalshatti/status/986356290355052544?s=19

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Combate Americas is also in Fight Pass if I recall.

Edit - nevermind its their old stuff.

Its a shame Bellator is being mishandled by Viacom & Coker, but not at all surprising.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 18, 2018

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I thought Coker did ok with Strikefore.

Or is that just rose tinted glasses?

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

good news for everyone that cops will get a season 31

TheReverend posted:

it seems to me like there's a pretty great template out there to build a cost effective promotion, and it's the WEC model of just having the lighter weight classes because they put on really fun and exciting fights and there are a lot of them. however, coker really loves fedor

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
That thing talks about Michael Chandler, and he's good, but he's not the reason why anybody watches Bellator, it's the old guy freak shows

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dr. Abysmal posted:

That thing talks about Michael Chandler, and he's good, but he's not the reason why anybody watches Bellator, it's the old guy freak shows

So the Coker Fedor courting is sound. Hmm.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

TheReverend posted:

Strikeforce was cool and gave us Matt Lindland getting knocked into an actually disabled person by Vitor.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
One of Coker's strengths in Strikeforce was that he had a pretty good head for what would make for the most exciting matchups. Nick Diaz basically made his career off of it. At Bellator it's just two old, fat guys you vaguely remember fighting above twelve guys called Shamil Alkaramovogoff, who fight once every six years.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
They should've got rid of the tournaments but not got rid of the weekly show structure. Airdropping Coker in to recreate Strikeforce after they'd already established their own small niche was dumb, not because there was anything wrong with Strikeforce but because interest in MMA is waning and the talent is even more concentrated in the UFC (largely due to the death of Strikeforce)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah. Tournaments are the best idea on paper and the worst idea in practice.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I think tournaments have some promotional utility. They're good for a new organisation to quickly contextualise a division and give it an initial pecking order. The problems are that stuff constantly goes wrong, and if you do what Bellator and Glory did/do and run them year after year, you get one winner and 7 losers. Glory are starting to get that message, thankfully.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Captain Log posted:

Strikeforce was cool and gave us Matt Lindland getting knocked into an actually disabled person by Vitor.

That was the short lived Affliction organization actually. Sorry to be that guy.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I think tournaments have some promotional utility. They're good for a new organisation to quickly contextualise a division and give it an initial pecking order. The problems are that stuff constantly goes wrong, and if you do what Bellator and Glory did/do and run them year after year, you get one winner and 7 losers. Glory are starting to get that message, thankfully.

I was thinking mostly of the constant injuries and replacements, but you're right, they've worked very well on occasion.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The UFC saturated the market. Even diehards on this forum skip events. There isn’t room for smaller promotions because of fatigue.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I can do maybe one mma event a week and it has to be weird or borderline z league. 6 fights between dudes that look like they were born in the gym just doesn’t do it for me.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Triticum Guzzler posted:

One thing Kurohashi and i always talked about was tournaments with large prizes to the winner maybe being enough to lure talent away from the UFC. Like if I can pull a few top-15 bws and put them in a tourney with a few other dudes who are decent but not noteworthy yet, that's gotta at least draw some interest because everyone always thinks they can beat everyone else. I also think there is some kind of prestige factor when you have tournaments in that it is bound to make someone at least marginally more famous when they eventually win that is useful to any promotion too. It's an easy way to build stars, if only a little bit. It's kind of like how vaunted Shogun was after the 2005 grand prix.

I guess the alternative, as someone mentioned, is that no one is initially going to tune in or care and signing the fedors of the world is going to be the quickest way to get views. But to keep paying big bucks for fading talent at the end of their careers is such a bad way to build a division or championship picture. Like they sign Tito for big money, he comes in for a few fights and looks like total dogshit, and then he's off to get more neck surgeries and call out Chuck on instagram and there is no value for anyone created because of it. In fact, it made shlemenko, who previously looked like he might have some talent, look bad because the fight was so weird and bad.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Coker sets up matches in such a way that he needs a particular result; Joe Silva set up matches so that every result would be good. The problem with most tournaments is that they end up with the former, and you're hosed after late replacement Steve Jennum wins because everyone who anyone has heard of gets injured.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

El Roncho posted:

That was the short lived Affliction organization actually. Sorry to be that guy.

It's ok, I knew something sounded off.

Affliction was bad rear end. Strikeforce was trashy Fedor fights.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Affliction had two events that were headlined by Fedor finishing Andrei Arlovski and Tim Sylvia, which is about as trashy as it gets.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
strikeforce had hendo vs fedor, affliction had paul buentello vs kirill sidelnikov

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Dan Didio posted:

One of Coker's strengths in Strikeforce was that he had a pretty good head for what would make for the most exciting matchups. Nick Diaz basically made his career off of it. At Bellator it's just two old, fat guys you vaguely remember fighting above twelve guys called Shamil Alkaramovogoff, who fight once every six years.

It's because the real brains behind matchmaking at Strikeforce was Bob Cook.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

This is the b league thread, you meant to post this about the ufc

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

strikeforce had hendo vs fedor, affliction had paul buentello vs kirill sidelnikov

PRECISELY!

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Bellator had some great seasons until the US banned the entire Rusfighter camp for war crimes

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The finish to Hendo vs Fedor should be replayed on a big screen in public once a month.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Let's all revisit it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFo6pXG9aMw

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

I remember being wasted and jumping up and laughing in my usual sirenesque fashion while at my buddy's place. He, being a huge Fedor fan wearing his new Fedor t shirt, immediately started protesting the stoppage while telling me it's not funny like at all.

It was though. It was very funny.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bluedeanie posted:

This is the b league thread, you meant to post this about the ufc

In the ufc the guys on top are Colby Covington instead of Royce Gracie

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I remember there being another angle shown where its legit no question that Fedor was out cold. From that angle the stoppage looked premature.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

TheReverend posted:

They had a lot of really good fights with most of the best fighters in the 'heavier than a full sized dog' weight classes not already in the UFC. Their cards ran very smoothly and didn't have a billion hours of ads in them. Whether or not their business decisions were sound behind the scenes idk, but I enjoyed their product.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 22, 2018

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I don't recall my Strikeforce history very clearly at this point but I believe even with ever expanding Fedor contracts it was still making money, but the San Jose investors wanted out of MMA and they had a pile of debt. I think the deal Zuffa struck for Strikeforce was basically paying back the investors plus a few million for Coker. They may have missed out on the peak of Rousey hysteria but ultimately I think they probably side stepped a lot of waves that would've crashed on them eventually. Like I just can't imagine the increase in oversight we see these days going well with all the incestuous aka business, accidentally putting Nazi child molesters on TV, drug testing etc

That said, they did a lot of cool stuff, and once they merged the talent pools there were a load of good matchups made possible

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Correction, the nazi guy only weighed in then got pulled from the card when it became known he was a nazi.

Unless it was someone other than the midwestern "White Steel" tattoo guy.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Correction, the nazi guy only weighed in then got pulled from the card when it became known he was a nazi.

Unless it was someone other than the midwestern "White Steel" tattoo guy.

You're wrong about that

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/3/3/2843153/brandon-saling-nazi-tattoo-strikeforce

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Huh go figure. Must've mixed it up with someone else.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 19, 2018

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

WSOF also accidentally let a Nazi fight, but he got dunked on by a Grazie so I think they tried to play it off like that waa the plan.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Strikeforce had a bunch of weirdo fighters that couldn't get along with Dana White so it was fun seeing people have fun fights and simultaneously upsetting Shouty Bald Man #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Bluedeanie posted:

WSOF also accidentally let a Nazi fight, but he got dunked on by a Grazie so I think they tried to play it off like that waa the plan.

WSOF also had Thiago Silva fight after his armed police standoff