Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That was last year right? Not quite the same as if it were coming from the deputy PM

Also lol if you've smoked for 60 years you're one of the lucky ones who's basically gotten away with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

bike tory posted:

That was last year right? Not quite the same as if it were coming from the deputy PM

Also lol if you've smoked for 60 years you're one of the lucky ones who's basically gotten away with it

yeah, stole it from this good listicle https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/13-04-2018/all-the-things-national-mps-think-are-virtue-signalling/

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Wait is he implying Peters was like 12 when he started smoking?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Varkk posted:

Wait is he implying Peters was like 12 when he started smoking?

It wouldn't be that weird, I'm only 41 and I started smoking around 13.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Keep in mind Winnie was born in 1945, and those old "9/10 doctors recommend Camels" style ads ran right up until the 50s. I know both my grandfathers started smoking when they were like 12.

Unrelated, but the investigation into Catriona McLennan is a steaming pile of poo poo:

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2018/04/12/104616/lawyer-i-will-not-be-silenced-on-domestic-violence

TL;DR she criticised a judge for issuing a discharge without conviction to guy who assaulted his wife, daughter and another man. The judge went as far as to say “Really, this is a situation that does your wife no credit and does the [male] no credit” and “There would be many people who would have done exactly what you did, even though it may be against the law to do so.” So far nothing has happened with the judge although the police have appealed the case higher up. Catriona McLennan is likely facing consequences for criticising this ruling

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I know this ain't the thread for sportsball related things, but if you want a chuckle, read the community page for TVNZ's Commonwealth games coverage: https://www.facebook.com/pg/TVNZCommonwealthGames/community/

People are rightfully pissed.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
People complain when sports are exclusive on SKY but when it's free to air look what happens

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is mostly teething issues anyway with inexperienced crews (in terms of live sports) and not getting the exact ad ratio and timing right. It wasn’t as if Sky got it right in these regards either.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/14-04-2018/bombing-syria-will-never-bring-peace-nz-must-stand-up-against-ad-hoc-violence/

Golriz Owns

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Varkk posted:

It is mostly teething issues anyway with inexperienced crews (in terms of live sports) and not getting the exact ad ratio and timing right. It wasn’t as if Sky got it right in these regards either.

For all Sky's faults their sports coverage is always very good with experienced crews and has no ads interrupting the events. They would have done a much better job with the comm games with more channels and HD quality instead of tvnz which has seemingly been using potato cameras but of course that would have caused mass complaints about the pay wall.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

credit where it's due

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

credit where it's due

You got me all excited for some good Barry Soper schadenfreude but turns out he'd just forgotten to submit good ESTA it whatever in time

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I want to make a submission to the tax working group but I'm lazy, has anyone seen a good model submission that I could steal from?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Y'all are no use so I wrote one myself: https://pastebin.com/BM7jzyYE

I'm no tax expert so if there's anything in there that's misinformed or something that I missed then lmk, I haven't submitted anything yet. feel free to steal any/all of it to make your own submission to submissions@taxworkinggroup.govt.nz

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Gave it a scan, doesn't seem out of place.

You've definitely got the right govt to submit it to.

(No sarcasm, generally supportive of increased taxation, even if I'm the one hit).

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

Gave it a scan, doesn't seem out of place.

You've definitely got the right govt to submit it to.

(No sarcasm, generally supportive of increased taxation, even if I'm the one hit).

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
looks good :buddy:

i'm thinking of submitting something that suggests taking a longer-term view of the revenue required to pay for e.g. superannuation, infrastructure, disaster recovery. i'm also interested in shifting the burden of 'sin' taxes to the producer rather than the consumer.

also suggest writing your own thing rather than copying someone else's word-for-word.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

i'm also interested in shifting the burden of 'sin' taxes to the producer rather than the consumer.

How would that work?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
idk the best way to implement it, but i'm thinking of sugar in particular here. rather than taxing consumption (which is inevitably going to be regressive), producers should be incentivised to make their products healthier. the same goes for taxes designed to have environmental/climate benefits – trying to influence individual consumer action through increased cost is less fair and probably less effective than tackling the problem closer to the source.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
what if we taxed corporations, especially overseas ones, correctly

hahaha

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

idk the best way to implement it, but i'm thinking of sugar in particular here. rather than taxing consumption (which is inevitably going to be regressive), producers should be incentivised to make their products healthier. the same goes for taxes designed to have environmental/climate benefits – trying to influence individual consumer action through increased cost is less fair and probably less effective than tackling the problem closer to the source.

There's no way to make alcohol and cigarettes "healthier" though. With sugar you could put the tax on producers but it's still going to get passed on to consumers. Generally sin taxes arent particularly good at changing individual behaviour, unless they're particularly high like we have on cigarettes now

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

what if we taxed corporations, especially overseas ones, correctly

hahaha

Read the bit of my submission about that and make your own in a similar vein if you actually believe this. It's almost certainly going to be a focus of the working group, unlike land tax or something which are a pipe dream tbh, so if you make a submission on anything that'd be a good one.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 17, 2018

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

bike tory posted:

Y'all are no use so I wrote one myself: https://pastebin.com/BM7jzyYE

I'm no tax expert so if there's anything in there that's misinformed or something that I missed then lmk, I haven't submitted anything yet. feel free to steal any/all of it to make your own submission to submissions@taxworkinggroup.govt.nz

How would 5. work in practice? I agree with the sentiment, but in regard to "single-use or temporary-use plastics" where is it taxed? The manufacturers are surely all overseas, would it be on individual business (restaurant, takeaway etc), on something like office max/catering supply entity?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Xik posted:

How would 5. work in practice? I agree with the sentiment, but in regard to "single-use or temporary-use plastics" where is it taxed? The manufacturers are surely all overseas, would it be on individual business (restaurant, takeaway etc), on something like office max/catering supply entity?

Dunno really but I guess there are a few ways you could do it. Simplest would be to enforce a flat charge at point of sale, like 10c or whatever, with the hope it'll change consumer behaviour. That way you can exempt small businesses. Probably more effective would be import tariffs, but then there would be issues downstream.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'll stop using plastic bags when supermarkets can install self-service checkouts that don't require waiting for an attendant to authorise using cloth bags.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Why don't we just change to paper bags, which are actually sustainable? Manufacturing one reusable bag is equivalent to about 100 plastic bags. So if you lose one before using it over 100 times you are doing much more harm to the environment.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
In aussie somewhere they have banned single use plastic bags. So, the supermarkets are now giving away plastic bags that are almost identical to single use except they are a tad sturdier making them able to be used more than once, but I bet no one does, and it just uses more plastic so its actually worse.

I am not saying we should use single use plastic bags, but we shouldn't ban them explicitly.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

How do the re-usable ones work with online shopping?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

klen dool posted:

In aussie somewhere they have banned single use plastic bags. So, the supermarkets are now giving away plastic bags that are almost identical to single use except they are a tad sturdier making them able to be used more than once, but I bet no one does, and it just uses more plastic so its actually worse.

I am not saying we should use single use plastic bags, but we shouldn't ban them explicitly.

The UK put a 10p charge on plastic bags (at businesses with more than 250 employees) and their use dropped 85% in 6 months.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
we use about 300 bags a day in the deli because stupid loving cunts don't understand "a handful" isn't a measurement

klen dool
May 7, 2007

bike tory posted:

The UK put a 10p charge on plastic bags (at businesses with more than 250 employees) and their use dropped 85% in 6 months.

Holy poo poo really? Wow. I wouldn't have thought 10p was enough, that's only 1 pound for 10 bags.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

It's to do with human behaviour. We work hard to avoid losses even if the amount is small.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup. That's why putting a toll on massively congested roads makes a good chunk of the traffic magically disappear.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

It's to do with human behaviour. We work hard to avoid losses even if the amount is small.

I think it's particularly effective when things go from free to some cost, because it makes people think about just how often they're using whatever free thing, even if it's only a small cost. But if your Dunkin' donuts 6 pack goes up by even a couple of dollars you're still likely to get it because you're used to paying a fair bit for it anyway.

I have no actual evidence of this so maybe I'm wrong but that's the way it seems to me.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Hello thread. Sorry to barge in like this but this is the only NZ thread on these dead gay forums.

Is anyone here working in IT in NZ and willing to answer a few questions for me? If so, please PM me. Thank you for reading and namaste

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Weatherman posted:

Hello thread. Sorry to barge in like this but this is the only NZ thread on these dead gay forums.

Is anyone here working in IT in NZ and willing to answer a few questions for me? If so, please PM me. Thank you for reading and namaste

Just do as vaark said below.

The Rabbi T. White fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 19, 2018

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah, there are a few of us here. Just ask a few questions in the thread.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Champion, thanks folks.

The wife and I are looking to emigrate to NZ from Japan by mid-2020 at the latest. I'm a dual Australian-NZ citizen but have never lived in NZ. We've both visited several times though and are dead set on moving. I'm fixed on Wellington for the proximity to nature while the wife would prefer Auckland since she's a city girl. She also wants to buy a house though so I am thinking "definitely not Auckland". If that's where the work is, though, that's where we'll have to go.

I'm a very-generalist who does sysadmin work on mostly Microsoft products but have experience in networking, storage, cloud infra, user support, etc. The role I'm in now is short-term-project-style "roll out a system for the client that will do this, and have it done by X". A good role for learning the ins and outs of the products in that particular project. Since it's a Japanese company with big (conservative) clients, we need to have everything fully designed and documented (down to the "these are the checkboxes that are selected" level) before starting out, and what would usually be a 15-minute install ends up being an hour or so since we take screenshots and notes and all that stuff along the way. I'm 38 this year and haven't had a management role yet but would be comfortable leading a small team.

We last visited NZ in 2015 and were told by a couple of the locals that there was a shortage of skilled IT folk, and the news I've seen on the topic hasn't changed since then. So on that note:
- Is that still true?
- What's a general salary range someone like me might expect to see? Do companies ever pay relocation allowances? (The latter is a "would be nice but no biggie")
- What's the best way to go looking for positions -- through a recruiter or by visiting companies' pages directly? And if the former, are there any recommended recruiters?
- How likely is it that a company would do all but the final interview over Skype or something like that?
- Lastly, is there any demand for this kind of IT work outside the two major cities?

Thanks again for your time.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Can't help with the IT stuff, but as someone who has lived in and loved bigger cities overseas and has an aversion to smaller centres, definitely try and talk your wife into moving to Wellington over Auckland. I've lived in both and Welly is better by far. It's big enough to feel like a real city and has loads of great cafes, bars, galleries etc, but is compact and easy to get around compared to the sprawling traffic-clogged shithole and soulless waterfront full of suits that is Auckland. Christchurch also exists and is a similar size to Welly, so you could also look at that as one of our major cities. It's been pretty hosed since the quake though and doesn't really offer the same kind of city lifestyle as Wellington. The rebuild is slowly coming along though and that might mean work in your field but idk.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 19, 2018

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
wellington 0wns, even though it is "the tech city" of nz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Go to Wellington if you can. Auckland is a mess and I have to live with it. The line about lack of IT workers is BS as they just aren't willing to stump up the money for support even though we are as critical as any builder or trades person. IRD is in the process of shedding staff right now with IT getting the biggest hit.

• Locked thread