Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MizPiz posted:

This is coming off like someone who's addicted to prescription medicine complaining about be lumped in with all the other addicts because their drug was approved by a doctor.

Never had amphetamines, just annoyed that with all the factors he took out for his stupid scare photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I love that book, it's definitely a great walk through the thoughts of conspiracy-minded fools.

You also learn a lot about the Knights Templar.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/murderbryan/status/986851278419611648?s=21

America, where college is famously free

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Katt posted:

I wanted this quote to be fake so badly but it turns out it's real.

Teachers are being underpaid and the problem is government these dang rappers

It's pants mania 2.0.

To be fair, a lot of current "rap" is extremely bad, and we should stop rewarding mediocrity.
It's kind of a dumb statement, but I feel like it's grounded less in "they need to pull up their pants" and more "teachers put in serious work for nothing, and some people make millions by mumbling over a beat and not actually rapping, which requires talent and skill, and this makes absolutely no sense to me."

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Yes music these days is so bad, it was so much better when you, personally, were younger

That's right, you, the person reading this! That music you like? Objectively good. The music now? Objectively bad.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Katt posted:

I wanted this quote to be fake so badly but it turns out it's real.

Teachers are being underpaid and the problem is government these dang rappers

It's pants mania 2.0.

Yeah exactly what the guy above me said. SLJ is saying we need to pay rappers less and teachers more. Like pay them so much we are overpaying them. He just worded it a little fucky.
He's still cool and we are still cool for thinking he's cool.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yes music these days is so bad, it was so much better when you, personally, were younger

That's right, you, the person reading this! That music you like? Objectively good. The music now? Objectively bad.

Well it's about drat time someone recognised that!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's super okay to like Mumble rap, but I'm not convinced that it should actually count as hip hop.

Like, if you aren't keeping the poem rules, and the hard eight and all that, it should just be called something else. It's closer to House.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Stairs posted:

SLJ is saying we need to pay rappers less and teachers more.
Those two things are entirely unrelated though. It's not like there's a big set of sliders somewhere that adjust the relative income levels of various careers and if only we moved the "rapper" slider down then we could move the "teacher" slider up. It's just tacking "I don't like a thing" onto a point about undervaluing teachers to make people conflate the two and make your personal (unpopular) opinion seem more reasonable. Like, if you just said "modern rappers are bad and earn too much" then probably most people just think "OK, you don't like modern rap, so what?" but if imply that there's some connection between how much money musicians make and how much money teachers make then it kind of seems like you're making a valid point instead of just complaining about kids these days not liking the same sort of music as you.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Rap?? More like crap if you ask me.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

someone on sa said mumble rap was the hair metal of hip-hop, which I think is pretty apt

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
"I'm sorry, Ms. Jones. I understand you finished your Master's degree in Science Education, but we can't give you a raise because the School Committee voted to send the money to Lil Yachty."

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Sniper Party posted:

Ever read Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco?

The Illuminatus Trilogy is (rumor has it ) the inspiration for that book and written by actual conspiracy theorists, for another take on it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
"Rap today is just awful" I scream as the Pulitzer goes to Kendrick Lamar.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hawowanlawow posted:

someone on sa said mumble rap was the hair metal of hip-hop, which I think is pretty apt
That is pretty accurate, except hair metal is hilarious and mumble rap is just kinda grating.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Screaming Idiot posted:

Username/post combo, etc.

yes, I did get the sarcasm

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Stairs posted:

Yeah exactly what the guy above me said. SLJ is saying we need to pay rappers less and teachers more. Like pay them so much we are overpaying them. He just worded it a little fucky.
He's still cool and we are still cool for thinking he's cool.

Where does he think rappers' paychecks come from and how is he proposing to redirect that money to teachers' paychecks? This is basically oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Yawgmoth posted:

That is pretty accurate, except hair metal is hilarious and mumble rap is just kinda grating.

Also hair metal owned and still is great to listen to.

Brb, kick starting my heart.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Everyone should get the same paycheque regardless of what they do for a living. Work is work. Financial equality for all!

:colbert:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The ideal solution s everyone is given a livable allowance and if people want more money they can choose to work. The others who are comfortable with th allowance would be free to pursue their own interests. It’s a win win.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

oldpainless posted:

The ideal solution s everyone is given a livable allowance and if people want more money they can choose to work. The others who are comfortable with th allowance would be free to pursue their own interests. It’s a win win.

I know the thing I'm supposed to do is come up with a "more like oldsomethingorother" but no, I will unironically agree with this.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I'm pretty sure he's not saying take money from rappers and give it to teachers guys, hes just making the point that why are rappers getting huge amounts of pay and not teachers. I mean it's a valid point to make that people like teachers shouldn't have to spend their own tiny paychecks on crayons while Kardashians, rappers, and sports stars get billions. I understand where he's coming from in that regard.

Disclaimer: I like rap, I am a bit too into Khloe K and how her baby is doing, and I'm a Liverpool supporter so I'm not trying to be all "entertainment is crap" etc.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

RoboRodent posted:

I know the thing I'm supposed to do is come up with a "more like oldsomethingorother" but no, I will unironically agree with this.

Oldstateless.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

oldpainless posted:

More like OldRightIdea.....more?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Stairs posted:

I'm pretty sure he's not saying take money from rappers and give it to teachers guys, hes just making the point that why are rappers getting huge amounts of pay and not teachers. I mean it's a valid point to make that people like teachers shouldn't have to spend their own tiny paychecks on crayons while Kardashians, rappers, and sports stars get billions. I understand where he's coming from in that regard.

Disclaimer: I like rap, I am a bit too into Khloe K and how her baby is doing, and I'm a Liverpool supporter so I'm not trying to be all "entertainment is crap" etc.

This is really just another version of "why should burger flippers make as much as paramedics?!" There's no reason to conflate two different careers, especially when one's salary is set by the state and the other makes wildly varying amounts of money with very few actually becoming rich. The point that if teachers were paid more, we'd get better quality teaching is true. But as someone else said, there's no reason to attach that to disliking rap. This isn't a zero sum game where teachers are being oppressd by rappers, or actors, or any other job people point to as making too much even though like 1% of people doing it ever become successful.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

but my self worth is based on making GBS threads on others, not improving myself

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RoboRodent posted:

Everyone should get the same paycheque regardless of what they do for a living. Work is work. Financial equality for all!

:colbert:

But that’s communism! Anti-American trash!!!

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
*This cartoon except only one lever called wages and teachers/rappers at the ends*

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Arivia posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Stairs posted:

I mean it's a valid point to make that people like teachers shouldn't have to spend their own tiny paychecks on crayons while Kardashians, rappers, and sports stars get billions.
It's not a valid point at all. If you stopped at the word "crayons" it would be, but what do celebrities have to do with it? Are you arguing that there should be some kind of special "rich entertainers that I don't like" tax that directly funds teachers? There's no connection between what celebrities earn and what teachers earn. What's the point of that comparison? Are you saying that every teacher should earn $2,500,000 a year because that's what Kim Kardashian makes (according to the infobox on her Wikipedia page)? How is Lil Yachty's income relevant to the question of whether teachers should be paid more?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
"This incredibly popular form of music is terrible" screams the goon nearing his forties.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GMI and a cap on personal wealth/income, imo.

Who What Now posted:

"This incredibly popular form of music is terrible" screams the goon nearing his forties.

Gucci Gang is a bad song and if that makes me 100 years old, so be it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Arivia posted:

Good thing I'm Canadian then!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This music detail is tiresome. Let us all agree that John Denver’s “country roads” is the best song ever and now this topic is closed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tiggum posted:

It's not a valid point at all. If you stopped at the word "crayons" it would be, but what do celebrities have to do with it? Are you arguing that there should be some kind of special "rich entertainers that I don't like" tax that directly funds teachers? There's no connection between what celebrities earn and what teachers earn. What's the point of that comparison? Are you saying that every teacher should earn $2,500,000 a year because that's what Kim Kardashian makes (according to the infobox on her Wikipedia page)? How is Lil Yachty's income relevant to the question of whether teachers should be paid more?

I think it's a point about how society has a distorted sense of value in which people who do difficult, vital jobs are considered to be interchangeable automatons worth less than the ground they walk on and having to struggle to prove that they deserve a cent while sufficiently popular musicians and actors are able to become millionaires in a month if the current culture deems them the latest trend.

Lil Yachty's income is relevant in the sense that it provides an example of someone who's arguably providing less of a vital service but makes 100,000% more money.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm almost 40 and as a lifelong fan of rap and hip hop I can assure you this mumble rap poo poo is total garbage. But like every other genre of music there's always some good stuff, you just gotta look around for it.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

oldpainless posted:

This music detail is tiresome. Let us all agree that John Denver’s “country roads” is the best song ever and now this topic is closed.

You meant to say "Rhinestone Cowboy" right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Update on former Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney

Still nuts.

Also apparently John McAfee is the irl version of the jumper cables dad reddit meme

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/986762250710069248

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/986733546671878144

zoux has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Apr 19, 2018

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Is a ziocon a Zionist conservative? I can't keep track of all this poo poo anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I don't get this

is it drugs?

Or Exhibit A?