Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

cookiefulloarsenic posted:

Your description sounds a lot like an episode of the 1960s Boris Karloff tv series Thriller, “Pigeons from Hell.” It opens with two young men camping out in an abandoned house overnight. Two older men become involved in the story later.

https://youtu.be/vOG7D1r412M

That’s not it but he’s super happy to have a new deep cut to watch. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Your description sounds a lot like an episode of the 1960s Boris Karloff tv series Thriller, “Pigeons from Hell.” It opens with two young men camping out in an abandoned house overnight. Two older men become involved in the story later.

I read a graphic novel of this years ago and it was legit scary.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The two old men thing doesn't fit, but just in case, Eraserhead?

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

The two old men thing doesn't fit, but just in case, Eraserhead?

Nope! I’d like to point out that he never came across it through four years of film school. It’s going to be loving obscure, but mayyyybe there’s a chance that despite the lovely lack of details will still twig someone’s memory. It’s worked before!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Could it be something by Guy Maddin?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

If he's gone through film school, the solution is obvious. Make the movie himself and wait for the copyright suit.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Help me find the name of a UK actor.

I think he's Irish. Sort of mangy looking/thin. He played the lead role in a bunch of movies in the mid 90s possibly late 80s where it's Ireland and the whole IRA thing and poo poo is always hosed and he's just running around trying to get by. He's not a hero or anything but he's still the main character.

I can't even be sure what the movies are a about but he did a bunch of them and he's always playing a sort of good guy but a very ordinary guy and just not very capable.

The guy looks really mangy. Probably in his mid 40s to early 50s.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Stephen Rea?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Torquemada posted:

Stephen Rea?

Skinnier and paler shorter hair. The IRA and their conflict with the military was often a big part of the movies. Even if the main guy was just caught in the middle.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sounds like In The Name of the Father from that movie description. Daniel Day Lewis?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Pete Postlethwaite is also a mangy lookin dude

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sounds like In The Name of the Father from that movie description. Daniel Day Lewis?

No this guy was in his 40s at the time and the movies were't really high budget stuff. They were more like a British TV series in quality.

While looking through a site of Irish actors I found this picture of Domhnall Gleeson

Looks very much like the guy I'm thinking of but in his 40s in the 90s I know his father is an actor but looks nowhere close to him.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Pete Postlethwaite is also a mangy lookin dude

Too dark haired.

Katt fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 19, 2018

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Jason Flemyng?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Katt posted:

While looking through a site of Irish actors I found this picture of Domhnall Gleeson

Looks very much like the guy I'm thinking of but in his 40s in the 90s I know his father is an actor but looks nowhere close to him.

Probably wasn't in his 40's, but David Thewlis?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 19, 2018

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

Probably wasn't in his 40's, but David Thewlis?

Holy poo poo spot on. You are a wizard.

I have to go look up these movies so I can re-watch them.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yay! I got one :)

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Looking up his stuff I can't even find the movies I'm citing. Maybe I dreamed them :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Here's a weird one, and I don't even know if it's possible, might only be a music request.

Years ago, in Media Studies class, we saw a short film, almost like a music video, about some guy who mailed himself to his girlfriend, as he had been away for quite a while. To open up the box, however, she takes a huge knife and plunges it into the top, which ends up stabbing him in the head.

Now, I don't actually remember if this was a student film or professionally made, could have been either, but it was really good. Also, it was set to a song by a famous folk musician, don't know if it was Neil Young, Bob Dylan, or whoever, but I believe the song itself was about what was happening (rather, someone made the video based on the story of the song).

Help! I specifically remember one shot which was a closeup of the guy's face as he gets stabbed. It's not crazy violent, but slo-mo and a line of blood runs down his face as he stares at the camera.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Here's a weird one, and I don't even know if it's possible, might only be a music request.

Years ago, in Media Studies class, we saw a short film, almost like a music video, about some guy who mailed himself to his girlfriend, as he had been away for quite a while. To open up the box, however, she takes a huge knife and plunges it into the top, which ends up stabbing him in the head.

Now, I don't actually remember if this was a student film or professionally made, could have been either, but it was really good. Also, it was set to a song by a famous folk musician, don't know if it was Neil Young, Bob Dylan, or whoever, but I believe the song itself was about what was happening (rather, someone made the video based on the story of the song).

Help! I specifically remember one shot which was a closeup of the guy's face as he gets stabbed. It's not crazy violent, but slo-mo and a line of blood runs down his face as he stares at the camera.

The Gift.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy poo poo, THANK YOU! :toot:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's the song it's adapted from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qkM7Tp3IvY

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Katt posted:

No, David Thewlis is 😂😂👌💯

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Huh. Is that any good? I have a friend who's been quoting that song at every occasion for the last 15 years and he might enjoy that. I also might, for that matter.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Bet his wand is a broken bottle and a mean disposition.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Metaline posted:

That’s not it but he’s super happy to have a new deep cut to watch. Thanks!

Based on the story by Robert E Howard, the creator of Conan the Barbarian

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I read a graphic novel of this years ago and it was legit scary.

There was a adaptation a couple years back by Joe R Lansdale, whose novels are the basis of the show "Hap & Leonard"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Katt posted:

He’s amazing in Fargo S3.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

therattle posted:

He’s amazing in Fargo S3.

Fargo got a tv series? That's amazing.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Katt posted:

Give the first season a couple episodes to settle in and you should be good to go.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Katt posted:

Looking at his filmography I don't see any Troubles movies.

I liked Gangster No. 1 with him in it, fwiw. Malcolm McDowell and Paul Bettany (it was his first starring role) are also good in it.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 19, 2018

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Katt posted:

3! And they are all fantastic.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Looking at his filmography I don't see any Troubles movies.

I liked Gangster No. 1 with him in it, fwiw. Malcolm McDowell and Paul Bettany (it was his first starring role) are also good in it.

TV series maybe?

I remember him and some girl running around somewhere in Ireland or London being chased by armed people. Multiple movies/episodes like that. It was like a lower budget Snatch minus the comedy. Contemporary 80/90s Britain. Gangster and stuff and certainly the IRA which he may have inadvertently assisted but not because he cared. The girl might have been IRA too.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Trying to remember the name of a character actor. He was never particularly famous, but I remember him having small parts in comedy movies and maybe even a show of his own on either the WB or UPN back in the mid to late 90's. White guy, lanky, tall, short dark hair. Best I can describe him is he kinda looked like a thinner, less goofy-looking version of Harland Williams. For whatever reason, I remember him in a suit. For the life of me, I can't think of his name or anything specific he was in. If he's done any films in the last 10 years or so I'd be surprised. If he has, it's probably like horrible straight-to-DVD comedies or something. Hopefully someone knows who I'm talking about!

Edit: I'll probably get suggested Tom Cavanagh. It's not him. Think dorkier / more awkward than Cavanagh.

Edit 2: Solved it! It's Anthony Clark.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 20, 2018

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

codyclarke posted:

Trying to remember the name of a character actor. He was never particularly famous, but I remember him having small parts in comedy movies and maybe even a show of his own on either the WB or UPN back in the mid to late 90's. White guy, lanky, tall, short dark hair. Best I can describe him is he kinda looked like a thinner, less goofy-looking version of Harland Williams. For whatever reason, I remember him in a suit. For the life of me, I can't think of his name or anything specific he was in. If he's done any films in the last 10 years or so I'd be surprised. If he has, it's probably like horrible straight-to-DVD comedies or something. Hopefully someone knows who I'm talking about!

Edit: I'll probably get suggested Tom Cavanagh. It's not him. Think dorkier / more awkward than Cavanagh.

Fred Stoller?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Nah, love him though. Think a thin, non-hunky Tom Cavanagh, with a slightly goofy face.

Edit: Solved it! It's Anthony Clark.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 20, 2018

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Katt posted:

TV series maybe?

I remember him and some girl running around somewhere in Ireland or London being chased by armed people. Multiple movies/episodes like that. It was like a lower budget Snatch minus the comedy. Contemporary 80/90s Britain. Gangster and stuff and certainly the IRA which he may have inadvertently assisted but not because he cared. The girl might have been IRA too.

He doesn’t have anything like that in his Imdb credits. He did play a soldier in a Paul Greengrass film, but it’s not what you’re describing. Any chance you’re confusing him with another raggy rear end English guy?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Torquemada posted:

He doesn’t have anything like that in his Imdb credits. He did play a soldier in a Paul Greengrass film, but it’s not what you’re describing. Any chance you’re confusing him with another raggy rear end English guy?

Could be I suppose. He looks the part but this was 20 years ago so maybe too young still.

Katt fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 20, 2018

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
E: couldn't recall the name of army of darkness, annoying as gently caress

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 20, 2018

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm banging my head on the wall here. Trying to remember the name of an old fantasy action comedy film, there's like one hero in it and he fights skeletons and zombies and stuff? Might be a curse and/or a witch involved too.

It for sure isn't Army of Darkness is it?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Skyscraper posted:

It for sure isn't Army of Darkness is it?

That's the one, thanks. Was driving me crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That's the one, thanks. Was driving me crazy

Oh, nice! Enjoy!