Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
"Échec et mat, la gauche :smug: " - Macron at the end of that press conference, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Joke's on him, I didn't watch or listen to anything he had to say

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One thing I did not see coming was Macron and Trump competing on who can break my jaw first

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Joke's on him, I didn't watch or listen to anything he had to say
Got something against Mediapart? I feel the journalists did a good job confronting him on several aspects. Not only did it provide a few :lol: moments, but it helps me to have heard Macron's first hand answers when arguing with my French acquaintances.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/PaulineBock/status/985629491157504000

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

I actually came here to say that Macron is a bastard for having a last name extremely similar to one of my favourite biscuits, but upon seeing the above I genuinely got the dry heaves. Once my stomach stops spasming, I'll just eat different pastry.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/986147499667701761

lmao @ "le sexe même"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
is that actually pronounced may-may

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

No, mehm

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JustJeff88 posted:

I actually came here to say that Macron is a bastard for having a last name extremely similar to one of my favourite biscuits,

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

is that actually pronounced may-may

That's how you pronounce the French for "granny".

Le sexe mémé!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That makes a lot of sense

Also I bet nothing makes Macron lose popularity like approval from the British

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

As a nation, we don't actually give much of a poo poo about what the Brits think, although for some reason they--and a large part of the English-speaking world--are absolutely convinced we do. (I was really surprised for instance at how much British telly played up the supposed rivalry with France when I lived in the UK)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Pretty much. For me, it's more that the media outlets who usually express that kind of approval are neoliberals who also think Thatcher and Blair did a good job. Don't know if that paper is one of them, though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

lost in postation posted:

As a nation, we don't actually give much of a poo poo about what the Brits think, although for some reason they--and a large part of the English-speaking world--are absolutely convinced we do. (I was really surprised for instance at how much British telly played up the supposed rivalry with France when I lived in the UK)

I don't know my grandmother-in-law stated quite solemnly after Brexit that now that the UK had left Europe she could pass away in peace. She really hates the British, it's definitely some old-school thing too, she's real proper upper-crust Parisian.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't know my grandmother-in-law stated quite solemnly after Brexit that now that the UK had left Europe she could pass away in peace. She really hates the British, it's definitely some old-school thing too, she's real proper upper-crust Parisian.
Some old people are still angry over "l'Attaque sur Mers el-Kébir". 1 295 morts. I mean we weren't even in a war and Churchill's fear that the French navy would later integrate the Reich's navy was proved totally paranoid later. So while i can understand his fear, he still sunk half the french fleet and killed 1000+ french sailors in Egypt.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

Some old people are still angry over "l'Attaque sur Mers el-Kébir". 1 295 morts. I mean we weren't even in a war and Churchill's fear that the French navy would later integrate the Reich's navy was proved totally paranoid later. So while i can understand his fear, he still sunk half the french fleet and killed 1000+ french sailors in Egypt.

What? I never heard of that event. That's atrocious. I get scuttling your navy but why did he have to kill the sailors?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What? I never heard of that event. That's atrocious. I get scuttling your navy but why did he have to kill the sailors?
Because it's hard to sink the ship with the sailor on board without killing some. He was afraid that former allied France would align with Germany in 1940 and England would have to face both the French fleet and the German fleet. So England's control of the channel was more or less solidified when the English fleet attacked by surprise the French fleet in Tunisia near their refuel base, sinking the ships that could have been used by Germany to invade England.

Of course many of the ships who weren't sunk there ended up sabotaged and sunk by the order of French Admiralty after the German annexation of the southern sector of France in 1942 and the rest just joined De Gaulle's the Free French Army.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It wasn't the first time the British pulled something like this, either.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

Because it's hard to sink the ship with the sailor on board without killing some. He was afraid that former allied France would align with Germany in 1940 and England would have to face both the French fleet and the German fleet. So England's control of the channel was more or less solidified when the English fleet attacked by surprise the French fleet in Tunisia near their refuel base, sinking the ships that could have been used by Germany to invade England.

Of course many of the ships who weren't sunk there ended up sabotaged and sunk by the order of French Admiralty after the German annexation of the southern sector of France in 1942 and the rest just joined De Gaulle's the Free French Army.

Again the fact that it was a surprise is what shocks me. I can almost get it, but of course the French would either scuttle their own ships or continue the fight. Why would an ally willingly give up their munitions/military to an enemy if they can help it? That's like assuming after capitulation the French soldiers would all just join up with the Nazi's allowing for fully French units to fight side-by-side with the Germans.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Again the fact that it was a surprise is what shocks me. I can almost get it, but of course the French would either scuttle their own ships or continue the fight. Why would an ally willingly give up their munitions/military to an enemy if they can help it? That's like assuming after capitulation the French soldiers would all just join up with the Nazi's allowing for fully French units to fight side-by-side with the Germans.

Because technically Vichy France was in charge, and could have tried ordering the French forces around, which hypothetically could have worked.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Man, who cares about the British
The REAL ennemi héréditaire is the lowly German

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
J'ai fait une version ebook acceptable de la note des économistes atterrés sur la réforme de la SNCF, pour mon usage personnel.
Maintenant que c'est fait autant que je la poste ici.

I figure the audience for that kind of litterature in this thread on those dead,gay forums is going to be on the low end of the single digits but it's done so

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

poo poo I really should get in on this whole blocage action

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Ouais mais pas aujourd’hui : aujourd’hui il y a grève

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/WardDPatrick/status/986767307866288129?ref_src=twsrc%25piss

Macron gets it

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Macron has really taken to Trump-style politics. I wondered what he would've been like had Trump not completely turned the political world on its head (say by not having been elected).

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Macron has really taken to Trump-style politics.

What no, Trump style politics is chaos, incompetence and corruption. So far and unfortunately Macron seems capable of implementing his policies

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

unpacked robinhood posted:

What no, Trump style politics is chaos, incompetence and corruption. So far and unfortunately Macron seems capable of implementing his policies
Pretty much, i don't think Trump, before the elections, even planned to win but the high competency of Clinton's team managed to make him win with a few million fewer votes.

Also, holy poo poo, it looks like Tariq Ramadan, our modern day Tartuffe, is down for good. The third rape victim presented her proofs, and allegedly he currently considers admitting to an extra conjugal affair with that woman.

Liberation posted:

La ligne de défense de Tariq Ramadan - en détention provisoire depuis plus de deux mois et dont l’AFP confirmait mercredi soir qu’il souffre de sclérose en plaques mais qu’il peut être soigné en prison - est semble-t-il en train de bouger. Depuis le week-end dernier, l’un de ses principaux lieutenants a pris contact avec les cercles proches du prédicateur, préparant le terrain à un revirement de situation. «Tariq Ramadan admettrait avoir eu des relations sexuelles avec la troisième femme qui a porté plainte contre lui», explique à Libération une source proche de Musulmans de France (l’ex-UOIF, branche française des Frères musulmans).
A man who defended stoning women for adultery. :golfclap:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

unpacked robinhood posted:

True. What I mean is the way he deals with the media strikes me as Trump-like. It somehow makes sense he'll be speaking first to Fox News, even though their pundits were the loudest anti-French "journalists" during the Iraq War.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Yeah, if we're making comparisons to US political parties, Macron is clearly a Democrat. Pretends to care but ultimately only there to help the rich.

The GOP is like if the FN and LR merged together.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

The GOP is like if the FN and LR merged together.
More or less, yes

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It somehow makes sense he'll be speaking first to Fox News

That's the one guaranteed way to have Trump tweet about something and forget about it instantly.

Meeting him is pointless though, unless you're hoping to score prestige points at home maybe ?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

The boy fancies himself a diplomat.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

salut les gars

quote:

Just under a year ago, a 39-year-old underdog shook up French politics to become the youngest-ever President of the French Republic. His movement, built from scratch in just a few months, quickly doubled down by winning a large parliamentary majority, giving the new government a mandate for change.

Using this unique window of opportunity, President Macron has swiftly begun to implement an ambitious set of reforms intended to boost economic growth, reduce high unemployment and transform France into a more dynamic, competitive and inclusive economy. His vision of a strong Europe also has added fresh momentum to the integration effort—which has become all the more critical in our increasingly fragmented world.

Challenges abound. Migration, terrorism, climate, digital transformation and inequality are forcing new fault lines on our societies. But based on the policies he has implemented to date, I am convinced that Emmanuel Macron can help create the multilateral solutions that will make the planet a better place for all.

Lagarde is the managing director of the International Monetary Fund

There's also a five minute video with macron talking about a variety of subjects in a very, very stupid way. Like how he undermines his first point about the importance of international cooperation when talking about the EU by immediately following it up by saying Trump's decision to pull out of the Paris Agreement is irrelevant because the private sector will pick up the slack. What's the point of international cooperation then? His diagnosis of terrorism is also deeply troubling, but not at all surprising. He also talks about the distance he's required to maintain as president and how he can't listen to anyone but himself, the elevated godking.

I hope he falls down a well.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Manuel Valls étudierait une offre de devenir candidat pour la mairie de Barcelone:

https://twitter.com/LaVanguardia/status/987243261369647104

Je trouve que c'est une honte d'exporter des déchets toxiques vers un pays voisin comme ça.

Edit: Faut pas faire chier Jupiter:

quote:

Un homme de 61 ans a été interpellé ce mercredi et placé en garde à vue par les policiers de Saint-Dié. Le sexagénaire, retraité, a fait un doigt d’honneur au président de la République, Emmanuel Macron, lors de sa visite dans la cité déodatienne. « L’outrage à une personne dépositaire de l’autorité publique », passible de six mois d’emprisonnement et de 7 500 euros d’amende, a eu lieu lors d’un échange sur l’augmentation de la CSG (Contribution sociale généralisée) pour les retraités. Durant son audition, le mis en cause a très vite reconnu les faits. Inconnu de la Justice, l’homme est convoqué, le 28 mai prochain, au tribunal de Saint-Dié, devant le délégué du procureur pour un rappel à la loi. L.M.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 20, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
qu'il y reste

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/laprovence/status/987605700133220353

On peut prier pour une avalanche.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010