Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
One of my favorite plants in my garden right now is the huge lush crimson clover. If I had a lawn type area, I'd be tempted to cover the area with something like that. Or a mint lawn. Or thyme.

Every spring I try to stop myself from going crazy buying plants. I did get a lot of seeds and some plants this year, but I'm trying to fill out my garden this year by splitting up last year's perennials and relocating the stray self-sowed flowers that have all seemed to root in the gravel paths. Unfortunately, this means my garden will be mostly California poppies and borage, but at least it's something stopping the weeds from trying to take over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just seeded crimson clover in my garden yesterday!

Also, a mint lawn will NOT work.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Hubis posted:

e: BTW, I've got nothing against the "natural" lawn approach. What makes me shakes my drat head is my neighbor who insists on mowing his Bluegrass/Fescue lawn at like 0.5". He puts so much effort into it -- I saw him going around this weekend with one of those manual core aerators doing the whole thing by hand :sigh:

Lol!

Not a fan of lawns myself, especially not in areas where they do poorly and people still insist on having them.

I wouldn't mind a small circular patch of lawn in a backyard. But I love wildflowers too much to care, otherwise.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I just seeded crimson clover in my garden yesterday!

Also, a mint lawn will NOT work.

Lol every seasoned gardener hates mint. Its only my second year, but maybe some day I too will understand.

Nice, the bees will love it later this year! I think it's beautiful, and the leaves are so huge and plush. Going to try and save the seed

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My wife tried to make a little herb garden full of various things. She ignored my pleading and put some mint in. A year later there was only mint. Then a tree fell on it and put it out of its misery, thank god.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Yeah when we grow mint I absolutely make sure it remains in a pot. For things like mint and Aegopodium, of you absolutely need to have it in the ground, make sure it's contained in something. Yeah they can still potentially creep out and escape but having the plants safely sequestered in a burried plastic pot really slows the spread.

Now to figure out why anyone would plant Virginia Creeper. That took over one of our old yards like nothing else.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like virginia creeper a lot when it's confined to trees and natural areas. It shouldn't be anywhere near an organized garden or any sort of structure. I let it go wild on patio last year, and it was really cool, but I had to cut it back this year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We've always struggled to keep our mint alive and it dies easily if we don't take care of it so I always find these mint comments weird. I think probably in our hot California climate mint is way less of an invasive mess.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Yeah when we grow mint I absolutely make sure it remains in a pot. For things like mint and Aegopodium, of you absolutely need to have it in the ground, make sure it's contained in something. Yeah they can still potentially creep out and escape but having the plants safely sequestered in a burried plastic pot really slows the spread.

Now to figure out why anyone would plant Virginia Creeper. That took over one of our old yards like nothing else.

I guess mint seems less awful compared to the Himalayan blackberry, Aegopodium, and bindweed contantly trying to get in my garden. Hopefully some day mint will be the worst weed I'm dealing with.

I've been weeding in between rain showers this last week, and I've seen some monster earthworms! Love the guys.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Schmeichy posted:

I guess mint seems less awful compared to the Himalayan blackberry, Aegopodium, and bindweed contantly trying to get in my garden. Hopefully some day mint will be the worst weed I'm dealing with.

I've been weeding in between rain showers this last week, and I've seen some monster earthworms! Love the guys.

Worms seem a lot bigger these days vs childhood. Must be the GMOs.

Aegopodium. I remember the day our Herbaceous Plants instructor covered it in her class. She scrawled "DO NOT PLANT THIS EVER" across the board and moved on to the next plant.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Leperflesh posted:

We've always struggled to keep our mint alive and it dies easily if we don't take care of it so I always find these mint comments weird. I think probably in our hot California climate mint is way less of an invasive mess.

Definitely. When I was playing with sub-irrigated planter designs I made one with not nearly enough drainage. It was way too soggy. I transplanted some mint into it and the wetter the soil the more it thrived.

Schmeichy posted:

At least when you are pulling out mint it smells wonderful!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bees on Wheat posted:

Bulby buddies! These things are so adorable it's killing me.

Although, I might put a different plant in the one on the right. This one is kind of leggy and weird, and that ruffly succulent in the bottom left of the photo looks like it would be a much better choice for this pot.

What is the plant on the right (with the blue mushroom) called? I have one of those and I can't figure it out.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is the plant on the right (with the blue mushroom) called? I have one of those and I can't figure it out.

Looks like Haworthiopsis attenuata (zebra haworthia, how worthy!) I won't embarrass myself by attempting to guess the cultivar.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I switched to liquid fertilizer, was a little worried I'd shock the plants that had slow release mixed into the soil but my cherry tree was very happy and practically doubled in size over a week.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
Is this a good place to ask about growing hot peppers, or is there a more appropriate thread?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is cross over but there are some gen-u-wine pepper experts in the veg thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672&pagenumber=286#lastpost :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dandelion is quite edible, at least if your garden isnt facing a busy road. Learn to eat dandelion and just pull them up for free greens?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Dandelion should be killed to death with no mercy given. I did not dig a tonne of compost into my borders for you dandelions.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I didn’t show you my baby yet, this was a shapeless lump that had never ever had a single dead leaf removed when I moved in.

Cordyline australis

(Guest starring Bug)

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

wish I had more bugs like that in my garden :3:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
happy spanial by learnin curve, on Flickr

:haw:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I would not object if everyone shared their garden dogs.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

They’ll dig up all the beds :colbert:

Ooooh but they’ll have so much fun doing it! I’d take garden dogs over squirrels of any sort.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I picked up a Salvia Clevelandii "'Winnifred Gilman' to put in a container since it is something of a dwarf variety. I originally was not interested in Cleveland Sage since it gets absolutely HUGE and I dislike the funky smell, but I came across this variety and wow, the smell is so good. It is this lemony mint smell with just a hint of a smoky tang and I can't get enough of it. Supposedly it is a tough variety to grow but I've got it in a mix that is almost half Perlite (gently caress that stuff is pricey) so it better do well.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I recently got into container gardening of drought tolerant plants capable of withstanding a lot of full sun and I’m not doing well. I bought 3 medium sized Texas Sage and i think I’ve overwatered them. Leaves are drooping and some are yellowing and falling off. Is there a chance they’ll come back if I just lay off the water for a week, or are they done?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I recently got into container gardening of drought tolerant plants capable of withstanding a lot of full sun and I’m not doing well. I bought 3 medium sized Texas Sage and i think I’ve overwatered them. Leaves are drooping and some are yellowing and falling off. Is there a chance they’ll come back if I just lay off the water for a week, or are they done?
Maybe. What kind of soil are they planted in?

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Miracle grow potting soil mixed with some sand and mulch 😕

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Dandelion should be killed to death with no mercy given. I did not dig a tonne of compost into my borders for you dandelions.

Counter point: when dandelions are starting to bloom, it is the same time that bees start re-emerging, and there isn't a lot else in bloom for the bees to feed on. I leave my dandelions alone to help feed the bees illegally kept in by neighbor's yard(stupid animal bylaw here says the only animals you can keep are domesticated dogs and cats. All others are prohibited). The bees have a hard enough time without the extra kick in the rear end of us removing scarce early season food.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Counter-Counter point: I just planted 30m of bee friendly hedging - Buddleja, Lilac, mock orange and so on and have over 200 spring bulbs that are all in bloom along with my mini-orchard. :smug: 🐝s 4 life.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I want to get better at identifying the various native bee species that visit my garden. There are so many of them, and they're all so tiny.

I need to learn hummingbirds too.. we have a big coral honeysuckle wall that they fight over constantly.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
In the great dandelion struggle of 2018, I come to offer a point on the benefits of dandelions.

picture from a person on the internet's blog

Dandelions can be food and good. :yum:

Unrelated but I also did not spend a couple of days taking photographs of beautiful ephemeral spring weeds. Nope. Not at all.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 24, 2018

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Dandelions are also good for the soil.

Unlike the goddamn catchweed which is taking over my yard.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No! Things with tap roots are terrible for the soil and you all have Stockholm syndrome :colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its got those cute seed heads, look! PUFFFFFFF

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've got ragged, patchy grass in an area I'm want to build a short raised bed over, (6" deep) - do I need to get all the grass out of the earth, or can I just flip it over? To add fury to the mix, there's only about 3" of soil before it hits clay so it's hard as balls to dig. I've already got the bed walls in place, and big bags of compost and topsoil.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 24, 2018

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No dig. :D

Get cardboard and place it over the top of the grass, and then put your compost topsoil mix on top. The cardboard will rot down and take the grass out. For the first year stick to shallow rooting annuals, next year you can put in stuff like shrubs and roses.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Excellent, I did that before but had 12" or so of room to play with. If I can get away with a more shallow bed for the first year I'll absolutely get that done. Thank you!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

learnincurve posted:

No! Things with tap roots are terrible for the soil and you all have Stockholm syndrome :colbert:

Interesting - why? Do the taproots end up increasing compaction?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Hubis posted:

Interesting - why? Do the taproots end up increasing compaction?

As a general rule they are deep rooted hungry plants that eat all the nutrients in the soil - roses for example need a phenomenal amount of feeding, although they have nothing on trees like conifers which tend to have roots as spread out as wide as the plant is tall, and willow that seems to be able to smell water and sends its roots in looking for it. (If you have bog you can plant willow and the tree will make the soil usable for you) Dandelions are so good at thier general plantiness because they evolved to compensate for thier soil destruction by spreading far and wide via the wind - that way the babylions have a good shot of getting to some nice fresh soil, unlike Buddleja which are a bit thick and tend to spread outwards from the parent plant.

If you want to break up the soil in a clay area then plant potatoes, they do the digging for you and it’s easy to replace what they ate by digging in manure or compost while you dig them up.

Plants are so freaking cool

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Uk goons: 5 buddleja in 9cm pots for £15 but for a 10% discount use the code GW10 https://www.jparkers.co.uk/5-buddleia-collection-1005209c