Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Chute for the stars.

son of a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Spider webs? No thanks! “Let’s try to climb out,” you suggest quickly.

“Yeah. At least we know that chute goes back up to the road. Give me a boost, will you?” Liz asks.

You boost her up to the mouth of the chute. She finds a handhold and hauls herself into the darkness.

A moment later her hand reaches out and clasps yours. Huffing and puffing, she pulls you up until you can grab some handholds yourself.

You pull yourself into the chute and peer ahead. The chute looks as if it goes almost straight up! “I don’t know if we can do this,” you pant.

In answer, Liz points down. You look where she’s pointing. A hideous skull-face is grinning up at you from the stone cell. Axel! How did he get down there? you wonder. His hands are reaching for you... only inches from your ankles!

“Go, go, go!” you yell, pushing Liz from behind as you scramble frantically up the chute.

quote:

Taking two steps up, sliding one step back, you make the long climb. Liz slips. You slip. You pick yourselves up and go on.

All the while, the hair on the back of your neck is standing straight up. Is Axel behind you? Are his fingers about to clamp around your ankle?

Suddenly Liz breaks the silence with a joyful shout.

“We’re here!” she exclaims gleefully. “We made it back!”

You look past Liz. “Hey!” you cry. “We’re back in the museum!”

Sure enough, you’ve popped out in the lobby in front of the Wicked Wax Museum. In front of you is a familiar red door. It’s wide open. Open into darkness.

“Aaaaaauurghhhh! Help!” A long, choking scream comes out of the dark. You and Liz grin at each other.

“Nice try, Jake,” you yell. “But we know it’s just a joke.”

“NO!” Jake’s voice sounds so terrified you start to wonder. “Not this time! HELP ME!”

Then there’s a thud. Then silence. Then a motor starts up.

You stare at Liz and wonder if your face is as pale as hers.

“I think it’s for real,” she whispers.

From here, the plot progresses as if we'd followed Jake in the first place.

quote:

No time to lose. Jake needs your help! You step into the darkness. Liz clutches your arm.

“I – I don’t like that motor sound,” she stammers.

You don’t like it either. But it’s too late to turn back now. The heavy red door slams shut behind you. A thick bolt slides into place on its own.

You’re locked in!

Slowly, your eyes adjust to the strange red light that fills the room. Then you see what’s making the motor sound.

Ahead of you a conveyor belt moves slowly through a velvet-streamered opening into a black tunnel. It reminds you of those luggage carousels at the airport. But there are no suitcases on the conveyor belt. Instead, there’s a body. Jake’s. And it’s moving slowly away from you!

His red sneakers are disappearing into the tunnel.

Then you notice something else. Out of the corner of your eye, you see something move. Across the room. It’s only a shadow, but there’s definitely something there! What is it?

If you want to find out what's moving through the shadows, turn to PAGE 93.

If you ignore it and just go after Jake, turn to PAGE 18.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
Accidentally phoned up the guy who kidnapped us.
Driven off the side of a cliff.

Achievements
None yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Wait, so Jake went into the museum, faked being in danger, came outside and saw us get kidnapped, went back into the museum, got into danger for real, and

:psyduck:

You know what, let's just try and ignore the logic of all of this.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Check out the shadows

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Go after Jake. Also, jeez, so I guess there's only one choice where the "get in the car" branch doesn't either kill you or loop you back around?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Android Blues posted:

Also, jeez, so I guess there's only one choice where the "get in the car" branch doesn't either kill you or loop you back around?

For what it's worth, that branch gets really good after you go through the locked door.

quote:

“Jake!” you shout. You lunge to pull him back by his feet. Before you can grab his sneaker, a steel door slams down over the opening. You pull your hand back just in time.

Kneeling on the low platform in front of the conveyor belt, you bang on the steel door. “Jake!” you shout again.

The door slides up. The conveyor belt starts moving forward. You’re so startled, you lose your balance. SPLAT! You fall flat on your face. You’re on the belt! “Liz!” you cry in terror. “Get me off this thing!”

Liz jumps up onto the belt to pull you off.

The belt speeds up! Now both you and Liz are being dragged along through the tunnel.

Up ahead, Jake lies motionless on the moving belt. And at the end of the tunnel a sign flashes on and off. It reads: THIS WAY TO STEAMING ROOM.

quote:

“Steaming Room?” you ask Liz. “What do you suppose that is?”

Liz only shakes her head. In a conveyor belt comes to a sudden stop.

You squint, trying to peer ahead in the darkness. You’re about to call out Jake’s name when you hear voices.

“Let’s get him off this belt,” says one man.

“Dr. Wicked wants this one steamed right away. We’ll do him first and then get the others,” says a second man.

“Steamed?” you gasp.

“And we must be the ‘others”!” Liz cries.

“Shhh! Listen!” you say as the voices begin to argue.

“Maybe we should skip the steaming,” one man says. “If Dr. Wicked wants us to be finished in time for the opening tomorrow, we might just have to go on to the next step.”

“No way!” says the other man. “You know we can’t skip any steps. If the steaming is skipped, nothing goes right.”

“Okay, okay. Let’s just get this kid into the tube.”

You and Liz glance at each other in horror. Jake’s always had a knack for getting into trouble, but this time he’s out of his league!

quote:

“We’ve got to see what they’re doing!” you whisper.

You and Liz tiptoe along the conveyor belt. Finally you can see the room at the end of the tunnel. Two men are lifting Jake off the conveyor belt. His body hangs limp. You watch in terror as they load him into a tall glass tube and shut the door.

The room is filled with these human sized tubes. They look like big test tubes, but they have doors. Each tube also has a clear hose sticking out of the top, connecting it to a big pipe on the ceiling. And Jake is inside one of them!

“How can we get him out of there?” Liz whispers.

Before you can answer, the conveyor belt starts up again with a jolt. You and Liz are knocked off your feet and carried down the tunnel... toward the test tube room!

Then you notice that the air around you is getting damp and heavy. And you’re feeling sleepy. Very sleepy!

You spot purple smoke hissing from under the conveyor belt. Sleeping gas! It registers in your brain, but your body is now helpless to do anything about it! It’s all you can do to rock your head to the side so you can see where you’re going.

No surprise there. You and Liz are headed straight into the waiting hands of two men in gloves and doctor’s masks!

quote:

The two men in doctor’s masks drag you and Liz off the belt. “Two more for steaming,” says one. “Dr. Wicked will be pleased.”

They roughly load you and Liz into separate test tubes, close the glass doors, and seal them. “They’re going to steam us!” your mind screams. “We’ll die!”

Already you have to fight for breath. You’ve always been frightened of enclosed places. It’s hard not to panic!

Your mind races, trying to come up with a plan. Now that you’re away from the sleeping gas, you feel strength returning to your arms and legs. Maybe you can break out of this contraption! But what about the two men?

Besides, once the steaming starts – whatever it is – you’ll probably need all the strength you can muster. Maybe you should lie low, try to conserve air and energy, and hope you come out alive...

What'll it be?

If you fight to escape, go to PAGE 107.

If you stand perfectly still to save oxygen, go to PAGE 47.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Disregard steaming, acquire oxygen.

Also, seems like we stumbled into a wildly different plot.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

We're not going down without a fight!

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Oxygen is for chumps. Stand and fight.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, seems like we stumbled into a wildly different plot.

We did. Like I said, climbing the chute takes us to the same page as if we'd followed Jake at the beginning.

quote:

You pound on the glass, fighting to escape. A sudden rush of steam whooshes in through a hose in the top of the tube.

You can’t breathe! Sweat drips down your forehead. Your fingernails scrape across the glass as you claw at the door. The steam is getting thicker and there’s no way out!

“I’m suffocating!” You choke out the words. “Let me out!”

You beat the glass with your fists, but your hands are limp and useless. The steam has softened them too much. You’re shriveling like a prune. This steaming process is shrinking you. You’re the size of a Barbie doll!

“Help!” you cry. Even your voice is smaller now. The two men in doctor’s masks can’t hear you. They glance at your test tube and shake their heads. “Another goner!” says one man, matter-of-factly. “I guess this one couldn’t take the heat.”

You feel a little sick. A little tired. A little little. When they open the door, you’re just a speck on the bottom of the test tube. The good news is, your steaming is finished.

The bad news is, so are you.

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Trapped in a steaming tube and shrunken into a speck.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Don't get in the limo.
  • Try the locked door.
  • Find out what's moving in the shadows.
  • Stay still to save oxygen.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Let's not get in the limo.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose
Let's try the locked door in the trap room.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

AweStriker posted:

Let's not get in the limo.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Try the locked door

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Locked door!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

No more locked doors, gracias.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“We already know where the other end of the chute comes out. So I guess we should investigate the locked door,” you say reluctantly.

“If you say so,” Liz agrees. “But I’m not going first.”

Just what you hoped she wouldn’t say. Oh, well.

Clenching your teeth, you brush the sticky spider webs aside until you can see the padlock. You hold it in your palm.

Something brushes the underside of your hand. You look down.

A big, hairy black spider crawls over your palm.

“Yecchh!” You shudder from head to foot.

Then the spider sidesteps to another part of the web. And the rusty padlock crumbles in your hand!

“Nice going!” Liz cheers.

“No problem,” you answer modestly.

But the next step isn’t so easy. Because you don’t know what’s on the other side of that door.

Taking a deep breath, you give the door a push. It creaks open. Liz stands back. You step inside and gasp.

You can’t believe your eyes!

quote:

“What is it?” Liz cries, moving up behind you. Then she sees what you see. “Oh, wow!” she mutters. “Too strange!”

You’re in someone’s bedroom. Everything is purple. The walls. The furniture. The bedspread is lavender. Two doors in the far wall are painted dark plum. But it’s not the purple that’s getting to you. It’s not the fact that there are no windows, either. It’s what’s on the walls.

Dozens of giant, blown-up photos – and they’re all of your face and Liz’s!

You and Liz walk slowly around the room, studying the pictures. They’re all marked up. Your nose, your eyes, your mouth are covered with circles, arrows, and measurements. Someone has penciled notes next to them. “Excellent nostrils.” “Correct lower lip. Upper lip good.” “Adjust eye color.”

Liz calls you from across the room. “You’ve got to see this,” she says. “It gets worse!”

quote:

Liz is staring at a framed, yellowed newspaper clipping that hangs on the wall. “It’s about a terrible fire at Dr. Wicked’s lab, three years ago,” she whispers. She points at a photo. “That was his daughter. He was teaching her his secret method for making lifelike wax dummies.”

You lean forward and peer at the photo. It shows a girl with long black hair. Her face has been cut out of the picture. “Sybil Wicked, age 14, was lost in the blaze,’” you read.

You feel very cold all of a sudden. “Liz,” you say. “Didn’t Axel say he works for Sybil Wicked?”

Liz nods. Her freckled face is pale.

“But how?” you ask. “How can he work for someone who’s... dead?”

quote:

“I’d rather not find out,” Liz declares. “We’ve got to get out of here! Come on, let’s try those doors.”

“Wait a second,” you call. You’ve spotted a blueprint tacked to the wall by the bed. You cross the room for a closer look. Liz is right behind you.

Detailed drawings show a machine that looks like a steel octopus. Eight robotic arms reach out from a round, stainless steel cylinder. Each arm has a different function and is labeled clearly: FACE PEELER, EYE POPPER, LIP RIPPER, EAR ERASER, NOSE NIPPER, CHIN SKINNER, BONE BREAKER, SKIN SCALER.

The machine is labeled: THE FACE LIFTER.

“Oh, gross!” Liz exclaims. “It lifts the features right off your face! Do you think that’s what happened to Axel?”

Before you can answer, you hear footsteps outside the room. It’s hard to tell which direction they’re coming from. You need to hide. But should you risk going through one of the doors and maybe running into someone? Or should you dive under the bed?

If you go for one of the doors, turn to PAGE 11.

If you dive under the bed, turn to PAGE 90.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Trapped in a steaming tube and shrunken into a speck.

Achievements
None yet.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Open a door... or several.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hiding under the bed can't steer us wrong again.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Best place to hide from a monster is under the bed.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 16, 2018

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

AceOfFlames posted:

drat right it is.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Bed,” you decide. “The doors are too risky.”

You and Liz dive under the bed. It’s a tight fit. The springs sag, making it hard to move. And the dust is so thick you figure it hasn’t been cleaned since the last ice age!

Next to you, Liz makes a strangled sound. She must be trying not to sneeze, you think.

“Shhh!” you hush her.

You hear a door opening, though you can’t tell which one. The footsteps are in the room now. You hold your breath.

Liz’s arm is smushed up against your face. It feels kind of... wet. Gross! You reach out to shove her away.

Your hand sinks into something slimy. Something that pulses gently. Something that’s making a gurgling sound, so quietly that only you can hear it.

Something that isn’t Liz!

quote:

There really are monsters under the bed!

You want to scream in terror. But you can’t, because then whoever is in the room will hear you. So you battle the slimy thing under the bed in silence. Kicking. Shoving. Even biting.

The trouble is, the more you struggle, the more the sticky goo gums up your hands, your face, every part of you.

Soon your mouth and eyes are sealed shut with the goo. You think it might be wise to yell now. But it’s too late. You can’t yell. You can’t even move. You can only lie there, helpless, as the slime monster wraps itself around you and starts digesting you whole.

Oh, well... easy come, easy goo!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Absorbed by a slime monster under a bed.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Don't get in the limo.
  • Go through one of the doors.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Don't get in the limo

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Limos are for nerds.

AceOfFlames posted:

So much for that theory. :v:

I guess Liz was eaten, too. Or maybe she was a slime monster the whole time.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Limos are for nerds.
So much for that theory. :v:

I was kind of expecting this outcome. :ssh:

Let's not get aboard the S.S. Date Rape.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 16, 2018

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Limos are for people with too much money.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Guys, we still have to explore this second "Limo" path.

Enter the doors, with extreme prejudice

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I guess Liz was eaten, too. Or maybe she was a slime monster the whole time.

My understanding was that the "strangled noise" Liz made was from the slime monster eating her first.

quote:

“I can’t get in this car,” you say reluctantly. “I’d get in big trouble with my parents.”

“What?” Liz explodes. “Jake’s in danger and all you can think about is what your parents will say? You wimp! Fine, stay there. I’m getting into the limo.”

She climbs into the long black car. You stand on the pavement, feeling like an idiot. Then you hear her give a cry of surprise. “Jake!”

Huh? You bend down and peer into the car’s interior. Sure enough, there’s Jake, lounging on the buttery leather seat with his red sneakers propped on an embroidered footrest. He raises his soda can to you. “See you later, sucker,” he calls.

“Wait! How do you get there?” you demand. But it’s too late. The car door slams in your face. Dimly through the tinted window, you can see Liz and Jake inside. It looks as if they’re laughing. Laughing at you, probably.

A deep, threatening voice behind you makes you spin around.

quote:

It’s Mr. Dunning! The rest of your class is standing behind him. Everyone is staring at you.

“I thought I told you to stay inside!” he yells. “This is the last straw. You’ve had it this time.”

“But I – but –“ you sputter.

“No buts,” Mr. Dunning orders. “I’m calling your parents right now!” And he marches back to the lobby.

The kids from your class are still there, staring at you. “What a loser,” someone mutters. A couple of them start to snicker. You feel about two inches tall.

Looks like you made the wrong choice in...

THE END

Remember, kids: only losers refuse to get into cars with suspicious strangers! I'm counting this as a bad ending because that's clearly how the book means for us to take it, but I personally feel like the ridicule of our peers is a small price to pay for not getting our face torn off.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Absorbed by a slime monster under a bed.
:siren:Derailed the plot by not making suicidally bad choices.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Go through one of the doors.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

This time, try the doors.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I'm glad we got hoisted by Schrodinger's Limo. Also Jake and Liz are probably in for much worse seeing as they straight up left the property. Try a door.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How did he teleport into the car? How did they set up a limo? :psyduck:

serefin99 posted:

This time, try the doors.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
I would love to see an explanation about how to possible make this Schrodinger bullshit work.

Also something about taking the door.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Let’s risk the doors,” you decide. “You never know what might be lurking under a bed!”

Grabbing Liz’s arm, you race to the right-hand purple door and throw it open. It’s a closet! And it’s full of row after row of identical purple robes.

The footsteps are right outside the room. “No time to waste,” Liz whispers. She crowds into the closet with you. Then she pulls the door closed. The only light comes through a large keyhole that’s just at eye level.

Even with that little light, you can tell that the closet is deep. In fact, you can’t find the back wall at all.

Then the light vanishes. Something is blocking the keyhole. Something that shines faintly.

An eye! Someone is looking through the keyhole!

What should you do now? If you stay very still, maybe the eye won’t see you. Or maybe this is the time to find out how far back the closet goes.

You’d better decide fast!

If you stay still, get someone to turn to PAGE 21 for you.

If you explore the closet, feel your way to PAGE 38.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Derailed the plot by not making suicidally bad choices.

Achievements
None yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Let's go searching for Narnia.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

:yeah:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
I understand this is meant to be horror, but I can't help but feel that this can easily be read as an endorsement of extremely reckless behavior.

Wait, this isn't Narnia, there's a giant factory with monsters here!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

How can you stay perfectly still when you’re shaking like a blob of Jell-O? You decide look for another way out.

Shoving Liz ahead of you, you push through the purple robes. Behind you, the closet door flies open. A familiar voice calls out, “Peekaboo, I see you. And I’m coming to get you!”

It’s Axel! “Hurry,” you mutter.

“Hey!” Liz exclaims. “There’s something here. It’s a –"

The rest of her words are cut off. You charge toward the back of the closet, batting hanging robes out of your way. “Liz!” you shout. “Where are you?”

Then you smash into a flat, smooth surface. It feels like glass. And it’s moving. You’re in a revolving door!

You spin through the revolving door and stumble out the other side. Ahead of you stretches a long room. But you only get a glimpse of it. Because there’s nothing under your feet. You’re falling!

quote:

“Aaaaaahhhh!” you yell. Your voice trails away behind you as you plummet down. Down. Down.

SPLAT! You land on something soft. And squishy. And smelly.

“Peee-yew!” Liz’s voice complains next to you.

“Liz!” you cry. You struggle to sit up. “What happened? Where are we?”

“In the garbage,” Liz tells you.

You gaze around. You’re surrounded by mountains of banana peels, coffee grounds, chicken bones, and rotting vegetables. Giant, buzzing flies swarm around your heads. Yecch! You must’ve fallen through a trap door right into a Dumpster.

With a jerk, the Dumpster starts to move. Liz peers over the side. “We’re on some kind of train track,” she reports. “And we’re headed for that dark tunnel up ahead.”

Dark tunnel? “Maybe we should get off now,” you suggest. Then you think again. “Or maybe we should stay put. This Dumpster could be our ticket out of here!”

If you decide to stay put, turn to PAGE 29.

If you decide to get out now, turn to PAGE 76.

I'm still not entirely sure why Stine always capitalizes "dumpster". Maybe he thinks it's a brand name or something.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Derailed the plot by not making suicidally bad choices.

Achievements
None yet.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Ride it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Nothing bad will happen if we stay put.