Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I was a yuge nigga with an afro and somehow I got the feeling that I get spotted and hit too easily. Rolled a black bald woman and now I'm top 1%!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The real meta is switching to solo after playing duo all season. I went from constantly getting killed by snap headshot demigods to winning twice in an hour and a half (at one point I shot at a car and the guy killed himself jumping off before it was fully stopped).

Good thing MMR is separate for each mode.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Map selection is a thing: https://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/3229520292645744467

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Will it remember my preferences? Or do I have to reselect them between every game?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

People obsessed with the war mode and think the regular game needs more loot should probably just play a different game. The whole genesis of BR games is from the survival genre.

Agree. The natural conclusion of the Savage discussion is "get rid of loot and have people spawn with gear" which is exactly not what this game is. Just go DM somewhere if that's what you want.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'm not sure how more littered with microtransactions it can get over how it currently is with Bluehole.

This game has just about the least invasive mtx possible. It is in no way "littered"

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

CS had deathmatch mode too and it was a great way to get some practice in and learn the (really obscure) shooting mechanics. It didn't ruin the game or turn it into COD.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Mash posted:

then spend 3000 BP on top to turn your character into a bald black woman, to minimize silhouette and maximize camouflage.

Not sure how much good baldness does, given that you'll be wearing a helmet 90% of the time. But yeah, dressing in bright red pants has gotten me killed at least once that I know of so there is a lot to what you're saying.

Edit: Is there any difference in the hitbox size between the male and the female model? Otherwise not sure how the gender would matter.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 19, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the big burgundy coat is the perfect camo and also my brand so do not steal

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Tens of millions of matches analyzed, researching all around the world, scrapping multiple versions because they didn't fit the bill, and we finally end up with:

"Select one or more maps"

Jfc Bluehole

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Dress in bright colors and orange guns so people shoot at you and then you can kill them imo. I like being seen.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Dress in bright colors and orange guns so people shoot at you and then you can kill them imo. I like being seen.

Doesn't work when I'm a bad shooter and die.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I also don't think bright clothes and orange guns really makes you any more visible than dressing in beige. When I see people I see them because of movement, not because of some red pants 450m away. Apparently that's just me though. :shrug:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Tens of millions of matches analyzed, researching all around the world, scrapping multiple versions because they didn't fit the bill, and we finally end up with:

"Select one or more maps"

Jfc Bluehole

Wait what is the problem? This is exactly what people were asking for and it's a fine solution.

They're just saying that they (supposedly) ran some numbers to make sure you wouldn't have 15 minute queues for matches because of this, which ... is a good thing.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

No Safe Word posted:

Wait what is the problem? This is exactly what people were asking for and it's a fine solution.

They're just saying that they (supposedly) ran some numbers to make sure you wouldn't have 15 minute queues for matches because of this, which ... is a good thing.

I found it pretty ridiculous too. Multiple versions scrapped? What? It makes it sound like they sunk thousands of hours into figuring out map selection, and then gave us literally the most basic idea of map selection ever, in which you get to select what map you want to play via a checkmark.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thom P. Tiers posted:

in which you get to select what map you want to play via a checkmark.

*design not final, solution may differ when implemented

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I found it pretty ridiculous too. Multiple versions scrapped? What? It makes it sound like they sunk thousands of hours into figuring out map selection, and then gave us literally the most basic idea of map selection ever, in which you get to select what map you want to play via a checkmark.

This is what I mean. The simplest and easiest solution, which we all want, took them hundreds of man hours to finally arrive at. That's what's ridiculous.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I also don't think bright clothes and orange guns really makes you any more visible than dressing in beige. When I see people I see them because of movement, not because of some red pants 450m away. Apparently that's just me though. :shrug:

This might help.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

huh I took this test and it said I tested postive for Mild Protan. What the gently caress is that. Dammit, why did I take that test.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
At this point there’s literally nothing blue hole can do without some idiots coming out to say it’s poo poo.

God forbid they spend time and make sure a potentially game killing (and thus studio closing and everybody losing their jobs) feature is the right thing to do or not.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Yea, I have normal color vision and extremely good sight. My point was that whether you have red pants on or beige pants on, I am going to see you. Beige pants do not make it harder for me to spot you.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

fyallm posted:

huh I took this test and it said I tested postive for Mild Protan. What the gently caress is that. Dammit, why did I take that test.

Look at the bright side, at least now you have an excuse to wear gaming goggles and look as cool as elite gamer 'n0thing'

I also took that test hoping it'd explain why I'm bad at pubg but nope, I can apparently see colors.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

This is what I mean. The simplest and easiest solution, which we all want, took them hundreds of man hours to finally arrive at. That's what's ridiculous.

That's design for you, especially if they want hard data to go off of and not just tummyfeels.
I would assume most of that time went towards figuring out the impact to their game if they implemented it, not just the design of the UI. There's always a risk that they split their player base too much or otherwise starve a map of players if they find that people only want to queue up for Erangel or whatever.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Old Binsby posted:

Look at the bright side, at least now you have an excuse to wear gaming goggles and look as cool as elite gamer 'n0thing'

I also took that test hoping it'd explain why I'm bad at pubg but nope, I can apparently see colors.

They are actually just filtering blue light which is harmful to your eyes and fucks up your circadian rhythm.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

SalTheBard posted:

They are actually just filtering blue light which is harmful to your eyes and fucks up your circadian rhythm.

Pshhhhhhh more like filtering headshots from his brain to his index finger.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Hrm yes let's defend Bluehole against the jokes about how much effort it took to come up with what basically amounts to a checkbox that your average day 1 programmer would use

That's the line right there

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So it does what those sleepytime desktop apps do that turn my screen orange after sundown?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hrm yes let's defend Bluehole against the jokes about how much effort it took to come up with what basically amounts to a checkbox that your average day 1 programmer would use

That's the line right there

no, really, if you knew anything about design and how easy it is to gently caress things up UX-wise you'd know that it is in fact worth it to know for sure that the easy, obvious solution turns out to be the right one

especially in this case, where the game lives and dies on people actually continuing to have full 95+ player matches and many games have historically killed their playerbase by splitting up matchmaking pools too much

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
As I was reading that map selection post I was thinking to myself the whole time: Oh god, so much context, what stupid loving idea did they come up with this time to gently caress up the easiest possible solution. And then... they gave us the easiest possible solution. So, I guess, good on them. But they really didn't need to write an article about it. They came off dumb as hell.

Yes, I understand they wanted to make sure that they weren't going to increase wait times for a map with map selection. But the player base is enormous right now, that's not going to happen. Also, the best way to gather data would have just been to give us map selection for a week and see how it goes. If it killed a map, then you can spend hundreds of hours analyzing gameplay or whatever.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

people don't actually think all bluehole had to do was add a few, "<input type="checkbox">"s to their UI to implement this right

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

As I was reading that map selection post I was thinking to myself the whole time: Oh god, so much context, what stupid loving idea did they come up with this time to gently caress up the easiest possible solution. And then... they gave us the easiest possible solution. So, I guess, good on them. But they really didn't need to write an article about it. They came off dumb as hell.

Yes, I understand they wanted to make sure that they weren't going to increase wait times for a map with map selection. But the player base is enormous right now, that's not going to happen. Also, the best way to gather data would have just been to give us map selection for a week and see how it goes. If it killed a map, then you can spend hundreds of hours analyzing gameplay or whatever.

Pretty much this right here.

Just the article making it seem a herculean effort for a checkbox made me laugh

But seriously the strong defense of Bluehole right now is kinda blowing my mind too

Tweak posted:

people don't actually think all bluehole had to do was add a few, "<input type="checkbox">"s to their UI to implement this right

The front end is literally a website

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's also likely they were testing worst-case scenarios and seeing what they'd need to deal with in the future when they have more than the two released maps, since it's very hard to put a feature out there and have to roll it back once people have had it for a while

Tweak posted:

of course they do

edit:

But seriously the strong defense of Bluehole right now is kinda blowing my mind too

just because you don't like a company doesn't mean that literally everything they do is incorrect and bad, and just because people are telling you that the situation might be more complex than your kneejerk reaction warrants doesn't mean they're fawningly defending said company

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 19, 2018

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

The front end is literally a website

oh my god people do think that was all it took :psyduck:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's almost like PUBG is literally an asset flip made by chinese toddler slaves

oh wait

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it's almost like PUBG is literally an asset flip made by chinese toddler slaves

oh wait

this post is as old and boring as micspamming

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Tweak posted:

oh my god people do think that was all it took :psyduck:

yes yes yes it's a well known fact lay people have no clue of the magnitude of effort potentially involved in any 'simple' feature request BUT

they literally had to add that "<input type="checkbox">" and they'd have been done. Maybe a patch later on so it would actually work but just the checkbox at first would have been good enough to ship in their style of iterative development. Besides, toggling which map is preferred can't have been a ~5 month effort no matter which way you look at it and people have been clamoring for this since the miramar release, there's just no way.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

did I miss some press release where they said, "Yea we totally have the infrastructure ready to go to accommodate user map selection we just haven't added anything to the UI yet" because it still certainly seems like people think that check box was all it took to put you into a queue for a map you selected

edit: like holy poo poo adding yes the check box was the easiest thing to do, it was also the last loving thing to do once they finished the MOUNTAIN OF OTHER poo poo required to actually make the check box *do* something

Tweak fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 19, 2018

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

ITT people who don't know poo poo about software development and supporting a large install base of paying customers

Just because it took them a while to do it doesn't mean they were actively working on it the whole time. They mentioned millions of games and whatnot but that's just the data they used, which was the right thing to do. The new map's only been out like 4 months so even if they had backlogged the concept/idea for map selection at that point you still have to then do a lot more than just put it in the UI. Even if you're taking the "just put in the minimum viable product and iterate" approach, you still have to do other poo poo like: language translation, update the matchmaking algorithm, and smoke test things like performance/stability. Plus that second thing (matchmaking) is A Big Deal and that's what they spent time on analyzing before putting in the work.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Old Binsby posted:

yes yes yes it's a well known fact lay people have no clue of the magnitude of effort potentially involved in any 'simple' feature request BUT

they literally had to add that "<input type="checkbox">" and they'd have been done. Maybe a patch later on so it would actually work but just the checkbox at first would have been good enough to ship in their style of iterative development. Besides, toggling which map is preferred can't have been a ~5 month effort no matter which way you look at it and people have been clamoring for this since the miramar release, there's just no way.

am I completely wrong or are you saying they could've just added a checkbox to the UI that did absolutely nothing and it would've been good and done

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

god bluehole just add, "maps: ['miramar', 'erangel']" to the request for starting a game, how hard can that be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

flatluigi posted:

am I completely wrong or are you saying they could've just added a checkbox to the UI that did absolutely nothing and it would've been good and done

I was being facetious but it's not like Bluehole have never introduced non-working features before. Probably never purposefully but who the gently caress knows