Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Okay, but real talk: one of my cockatiels is going through puberty. I'm dealing with a two year old who is also a teenager. He alternates between loving me and wanting me to be near me always and hating me for existing in his personal space, and then when he's done sitting on top of the bookcase and screaming because I won't let him murder himself walking over the stove top, he goes to try to kill his toy bell and then masturbate on his favourite perch.

I love him. But I also want to send him to the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kenshin posted:

2 decades is still plural. ;)
That's fine, I just mean they seem a lot more manageable than a cockatoo or a parrot, from my limited research. 20 years is just two rabbit-lengths, the commitment doesn't scare me off.

I'm most concerned about bird dust, since my GF has some allergies. How bad is it, and how much can it be cleaned? Also there's probably a ton of other things to consider, but I'm still at the very beginning stages. I'm not rushing into anything.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Cockatiels are dusty but not as dusty as cockatoos just because they're not as large :v: But they're probably the dustiest small bird I've been around.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm most concerned about bird dust, since my GF has some allergies. How bad is it, and how much can it be cleaned? Also there's probably a ton of other things to consider, but I'm still at the very beginning stages. I'm not rushing into anything.

With just one bird, it should be pretty manageable. Your commitment if she has difficulties with allergies will be to clean the cage often. A tiny vacuum or one with the right attachments to get in corners will be helpful. They get everywhere, but you can vacuum them right up. My wife has a ton of allergies and has never had trouble with budgie dust, though. They're a lot easier than cats or dogs that way.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's fine, I just mean they seem a lot more manageable than a cockatoo or a parrot, from my limited research. 20 years is just two rabbit-lengths, the commitment doesn't scare me off.

Yeah, I'm allergic to drat near everything and bird dust didn't activate mine

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Tendai posted:

Cockatiels are dusty but not as dusty as cockatoos just because they're not as large :v: But they're probably the dustiest small bird I've been around.

I didn't really understand what a dusty bird meant until Spencer came home. And now we have a HEPA filter running 24/7.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RoboRodent posted:

I love him. But I also want to send him to the moon.

new thread title

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Agreed, it perfectly sums up parrot ownership.

Also how is Ama so loving cute.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tendai posted:

Agreed, it perfectly sums up parrot ownership.

Also how is Ama so loving cute.

dark sorcery (I assume)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bird mod is a wizard, the legend is true

And also a cockatoo?!?!?!

Tendai fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 16, 2018

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Tendai posted:

Bird mod is a wizard, the legend is true

And also a cockatoo?!?!?!

I printed out this photo and had it next to our cockatiel's cage for a couple of months. He really liked having his wizard friend.

The photo has now been replaced with a photo of himself

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

The Narrator posted:

I printed out this photo and had it next to our cockatiel's cage for a couple of months. He really liked having his wizard friend.

The photo has now been replaced with a photo of himself

That I'm sure he constantly tries to fight. :)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I can't take full credit for the phrase. A friend of mine has been known to threaten her much-loved but brain-damaged cat with the moon as well.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Captain Log posted:

That I'm sure he constantly tries to fight. :)

Naw, he goes right up to it and sings. Everyone's gotta be their own biggest fan...

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

ey im walkin simulator here

Tendai posted:

I used to foster some birds (budgies, cockatiels, and some conures) and agree with this. Because of that issue it's generally a good idea to put them in a busy room, but not one you sleep in. Bird dust isn't too bad but still might be better to avoid breathing it in all night.

I'm in college now so I don't plan on getting a bird until I move out, but I'm really thinking about getting a dusky conure when I'm settled. It's a long shot though because I'll have a full time job, so I may end up with pigeons instead - both dork birds that I love c:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Judas Horse posted:

Because of that issue it's generally a good idea to put them in a busy room, but not one you sleep in.

I recommend this either way if your living situation allows, for so many reasons.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I live in a one-room apartment :cry:

(Well, they're at the other end of the room from my bed. And there's a room divider. At least there's that.)

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

We've had him for about 6 weeks now and this is the first feather Spencer has lost. Is it normal for Cockatoos to keep their feathers for so long? Scout has lost a bunch of feathers (not a plucker) and seems to be losing one or two every day.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

mikerock posted:

We've had him for about 6 weeks now and this is the first feather Spencer has lost. Is it normal for Cockatoos to keep their feathers for so long? Scout has lost a bunch of feathers (not a plucker) and seems to be losing one or two every day.

Yeah Teeka doesn't lose feathers that often so I think that's normal. Cockatoos make up for not losing big feathers by constantly getting dust and down everywhere, lucky you!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They just carefully, spitefully pulverize each feather individually.

later edit: the birb memes youtube channel is a treasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yYHoMilz5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peQqiTICXDk

Tendai fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 18, 2018

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/h6JXApP.mp4

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
https://youtu.be/25bvAtOScLc

This made me happy...
And want a cockatiel.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAer4rDnA6I

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Uhh is obesity something I should worry about with finches? I've been noticing that my hen is looking huge these days. Possibly increasing in size... just look at her, she's THICC!

It's not really that visible in the pics but she seems significantly larger than my male at this point... They're let out of the cage to fly daily and are mostly fed pellets (harrison's high potency super fine)...

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Finch: Beep *heavy breathing* beep.

I can't tell if that's floof or fatty deposits. I'm going to assume you can't get ahold of her and feel around because finch.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You know how to do a visual inspection of a zeebie's fat deposits?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
No. No I do not.

So um. My budgie recently started this thing where if I speak to him, he'll stop what he's doing and flies/walks up right to my mouth and preens my lips and it's super weird but cute.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Finch: Beep *heavy breathing* beep.

I can't tell if that's floof or fatty deposits. I'm going to assume you can't get ahold of her and feel around because finch.

hahaha and yes.

No idea about this really...

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I keep not posting in this thread but update on Samba:

Alive and pooping

Only registered members can see post attachments!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Uhh is obesity something I should worry about with finches? I've been noticing that my hen is looking huge these days. Possibly increasing in size... just look at her, she's THICC!

It's not really that visible in the pics but she seems significantly larger than my male at this point... They're let out of the cage to fly daily and are mostly fed pellets (harrison's high potency super fine)...

Can you do the thking with finches where you feel their keel bone?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I keep seeing GCCs on Imgur and half of them are PI posters.

Also when we had Zebra finches our cute fat one died prematurely of fatness.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Oh my GOD

Where was this? Where can I purchase such a fountain?

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

underage at the vape shop posted:

Can you do the thking with finches where you feel their keel bone?

Unsure. Haven't really picked them up, as I haven't had the need before/they freak out if you make sudden movements towards them... They'er super cute tho

If it's obesity though, what can I do to get her back in shape? Change up foods? Give them less to eat? Try to activate them more?

also, those gccs :3

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Unsure. Haven't really picked them up, as I haven't had the need before/they freak out if you make sudden movements towards them... They'er super cute tho

If it's obesity though, what can I do to get her back in shape? Change up foods? Give them less to eat? Try to activate them more?

also, those gccs :3

Less to eat.

Fyi you can see the fat deposits though the skin. Turn the birb over and lift/peek through the neck and keel feathers. Compare the amount of fat you see on healthy and the overweight birb. Feed them for only 20 minutes twice or thrice daily; if the healthy one looses any weight whatsoever, give it more time with a food dish with a cage divider if you have one.

Do you have an envelope scale and a small cage / terrarium?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 20, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Zeebies don't need to be fed ad libitum, fyi. That bored guy might be boredeating.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

Potato Salad posted:

Less to eat.

Fyi you can see the fat deposits though the skin. Turn the birb over and lift/peek through the neck and keel feathers. Compare the amount of fat you see on healthy and the overweight birb. Feed them for only 20 minutes twice or thrice daily; if the healthy one looses any weight whatsoever, give it more time with a food dish with a cage divider if you have one.

Do you have an envelope scale and a small cage / terrarium?

Thanks a mill! Haven't got a paper scale, but it's been on my list of stuff to get for a while. I'll report back if/when I make any progress!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

artichoke posted:

Oh my GOD

Where was this? Where can I purchase such a fountain?
no idea, it came from the internet

voomvoomvoomvoomvoom

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Last night, I heard the cockatiel having its first night fright. By the time I made it to the living room (my legs are messed up, it takes a minute) the birds had calmed down. They seemed agitated, but good.

Today I wake up to this -

One parakeet of the two broke out of her water door. She was sitting on my only teflon covered pot, and had been so all night from the appearance of droppings. One wing had some dried blood. She is doing just fine.

Cockatiel had a worse bloody wing. But it was all dry and no feathers appear out of place. She is resting a little more than normal, but eating and preening just fine.

So, I've never had a bird get a night fright this bad. Any recommendations other than moving my noisemaker for tinnitus to the living room?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

Last night, I heard the cockatiel having its first night fright. By the time I made it to the living room (my legs are messed up, it takes a minute) the birds had calmed down. They seemed agitated, but good.

Today I wake up to this -

One parakeet of the two broke out of her water door. She was sitting on my only teflon covered pot, and had been so all night from the appearance of droppings. One wing had some dried blood. She is doing just fine.

Cockatiel had a worse bloody wing. But it was all dry and no feathers appear out of place. She is resting a little more than normal, but eating and preening just fine.

So, I've never had a bird get a night fright this bad. Any recommendations other than moving my noisemaker for tinnitus to the living room?

Nightlights work for some birds, as will making sure they’re covered completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

DarkHorse posted:

Nightlights work for some birds, as will making sure they’re covered completely.

I've read a ton of articles today echoing the light, but more than half said to try leaving the cage cover off one wall.

No idea if it's good advice or bad.