Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Toffile/status/986760562100105216

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Oh wow, who knew vampires bounced

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Oh wow, who knew vampires bounced

Only Canadian ones.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

I remember when Lex Luger and Giant were feuding

And then they were like nah it's cool we're bros now and a tag team

Then Giant joined nWo again and started smoking cigarettes on his way to the ring and Lex joined the red nWo and they hated each other

WCW was weird

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Only Canadian ones.

:golfclap:

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I'm pretty sure the Giant Moonsault is a myth just on the grounds of who the gently caress would actually take that move? I know there's Vader and other fat guy moonsaults, but for some reason Show doing it seems far more deadly.

Not to say he wasn't athletic as hell. I think the rumor probably comes from that he probably believed he could pull off the motion, pitched it, and as above he was told 'yeah, no, don't do that.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKABblKDu-4

That's not the prettiest dropkick, but it's a pretty drat good height.

I actually really love finding little freak agility feats from guys who typically never leave the ground. Like the fabled Kane Hurricanrana, or the Spinning HHHeel Kick before he went all super-body builder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K2StLubKAs

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Only Canadian ones.

Seems a shame he never starred in classic Canadian Cinema like Zombie Nightmare

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NameHurtBrain posted:

I'm pretty sure the Giant Moonsault is a myth just on the grounds of who the gently caress would actually take that move? I know there's Vader and other fat guy moonsaults, but for some reason Show doing it seems far more deadly.

Not to say he wasn't athletic as hell. I think the rumor probably comes from that he probably believed he could pull off the motion, pitched it, and as above he was told 'yeah, no, don't do that.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKABblKDu-4

That's not the prettiest dropkick, but it's a pretty drat good height.

I actually really love finding little freak agility feats from guys who typically never leave the ground. Like the fabled Kane Hurricanrana, or the Spinning HHHeel Kick before he went all super-body builder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K2StLubKAs

Smaller guys like Jericho have said they practiced moves like that on duffel bags with towels in them (it's how he practiced the Lionsault when he started doing it), and the Power Plant had money for stuff like dummies and whatnot I'm sure, so it's still certainly possible

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I dunno, if Brock could do a shooting star, I'm sure Show could do a backflip with 4 feet of clearance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Giant moonsault rumors were going back in the late 90s. If it happened it happened at the Powerplant and honestly what dudes do loving around in training shouldn't surprise people.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I remember seeing Show do top rope flying tackles and stuff during his early WWF run and it was insane. The entire ring suddenly looked tiny and fragile when he took to the ropes.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's also that match where he does that slingshot rope jump to enter the ring, he does a decent dropkick on Test, and murders him in less than a minute

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

aww, all those ads promoting WCW Backstage Assault.

That.....was not a good rasslin game.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

D.N. Nation posted:

aww, all those ads promoting WCW Backstage Assault.

That.....was not a good rasslin game.

Name another wrestling game where you get to play a backstage hardcore match between Bobby Heenan and Vince Russo :colbert:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I imagine Vince Russo still owns a copy of that game and plays it one-handed. It’s literally what he wanted to do with WCW (get rid of the rings) which is why it was made that way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

coconono posted:

I remember seeing Show do top rope flying tackles and stuff during his early WWF run and it was insane. The entire ring suddenly looked tiny and fragile when he took to the ropes.

The highlight of his sad little WWF title match with Boss Man was when he "nipped up" or "kipped up" or whatever it is. It's that thing where Shawn Michaels or other little guy somehow magically get to a standing position with...I guess it's leg strength and agility?

But yeah, needless to say, Big Show is a lot bigger than Shawn Michaels or the other guys you typically see do this. It was loving amazing to see him do it.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

NikkolasKing posted:

The highlight of his sad little WWF title match with Boss Man was when he "nipped up" or "kipped up" or whatever it is. It's that thing where Shawn Michaels or other little guy somehow magically get to a standing position with...I guess it's leg strength and agility?

But yeah, needless to say, Big Show is a lot bigger than Shawn Michaels or the other guys you typically see do this. It was loving amazing to see him do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0j3vrnq2EQ

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

JR's call on that was perfect.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

NikkolasKing posted:

It's called a kip-up. It's about core strength and body control.
Tried to do them in gym once as a kid....nope, nothing doing.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I noticed WCW Saturday Night is now on the network but only 1992 and 1993, does anyone know if more are coming?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaybackJack posted:

I'm going by the Observer reports and according to those, the deal only fell apart when the TV got canceled. It does mention that a cancellation was planned previous but it was a planned move to TBD. It also notes that Fuscient was trying to shop the program to Fox immediately after the cancellation was announced but couldn't make the deal in time. I don't see why they'd try to shop the product to Fox if they didn't want to purchase the company by that point.

If you got some more information to share, than what's printed in the Observer then by all means share it.

Dude, I already have. One of the Fusient backers got cold feet after the looking at the books. The offer that had been agreed to was pulled and a new offer that was 90% deferred payments was being negotiated. Some of it was in the form of stock. The deal called for guaranteed time slots which would have been a problem since Thunder was being cancelled and if they could get by this there was still the problem they'd need to guarantee Nitro being on the air for years to come even though it produced (sinking) average ratings and no revenue. Pretty much all of this is in those Observers, read. Dave even says the negotiations were on the rocks!

Fox didn't want the show. No one wanted the show. Fox had already passed on a WCW show in 2000 and they passed again in 2001. FX passed. USA had no interest in wrestling. No one wanted it.

It's really simple, with all of this in mind Fusient was not a reliable partner for this sale. They couldn't afford the company and Time Warner had to know if they sold they were never seeing a dime of that deferred money. Why wouldn't a guy who did not like wrestling cancel at this point, it was completely justified given his predecessor had already made the call to can Thunder.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
It's pretty sad than even when Wrestling was at its all-time peak of mainstream popularity, virtually no networks or sponsors of any repute wanted anything to do with it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shiki Dan posted:

It's pretty sad than even when Wrestling was at its all-time peak of mainstream popularity, virtually no networks or sponsors of any repute wanted anything to do with it.

At this point the public knows we are post peak. WWF is on fire business wise but viewership is down following the move to TNN.

In early 99 WCW almost got on NBC for a series of primetime specials. WWF had just signed a major deal with Viacom for shows on TNN and MTV the year before. WCW had been attracting decent sponsors until they completely fell apart. It is all on them for not being able to find an outlet in 2001. When it was peaking networks did want them, now, no one did and rightly so.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I take it when New Japan was almost ruined by Inoki TV Asahi kept them on the air cause of loyalty, them not being on the hook for the losses and also cause it was being aired late night....

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Japanese TV programming decisions make absolutely no sense to me unless they get a cut of the show's merchandising.

I still think the early successes of Eric Bischoff's tenure are repeatable with any idiot exec amidst mid life crisis. They coulda turned WCW into weird corporate perk. Serve your overlords well and you might get to run a wrestling company for a few years. WCW shut down amidst weird corporate america excesses like live DJs for hold music and famous artists busking on corporate campuses.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MassRafTer posted:

Dude, I already have. One of the Fusient backers got cold feet after the looking at the books. The offer that had been agreed to was pulled and a new offer that was 90% deferred payments was being negotiated. Some of it was in the form of stock. The deal called for guaranteed time slots which would have been a problem since Thunder was being cancelled and if they could get by this there was still the problem they'd need to guarantee Nitro being on the air for years to come even though it produced (sinking) average ratings and no revenue. Pretty much all of this is in those Observers, read. Dave even says the negotiations were on the rocks!

Fox didn't want the show. No one wanted the show. Fox had already passed on a WCW show in 2000 and they passed again in 2001. FX passed. USA had no interest in wrestling. No one wanted it.

It's really simple, with all of this in mind Fusient was not a reliable partner for this sale. They couldn't afford the company and Time Warner had to know if they sold they were never seeing a dime of that deferred money. Why wouldn't a guy who did not like wrestling cancel at this point, it was completely justified given his predecessor had already made the call to can Thunder.

This entire argument is just about sunk cost. It wasn't worth it to hold on.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

MassRafTer posted:

There's no implication of that in the March 26, or April 2nd, Observers. Dave doesn't make any mention of Fusient being a company unable to purchase the company or continue paying money on a purchase, had they gotten tv. Even if they never say a dime of the long term money, the money they'd receive up front would have been a million dollars more than WWE's offer. I really don't think my points are out of line and if Dave knew Fusient wasn't going to actually be able to afford the company, he never outright states it or even hints at with his usually mocking disdain.

March 26th Observer posted:

In his first major act as CEO of Turner Broadcasting, Jamie Kellner, who has always disliked pro wrestling, made the decision to cancel all pro wrestling programming. In doing so, it nearly ended negotiations that had been rocky, with Fusient Media Ventura, to purchase the company, a sale that was prematurely announced in January by Fusient President Brian Bedol, WCW President Brad Siegel and Eric Bischoff, so as to make it public literally hours before the official consummation of the AOL/Time Warner merger.

Finalizing the deal between the two sides had many rocky points, in particular, the second round of due diligence, when the January books were examined by Fusient, found the company in a far worse financial state than Fusient had been led to believe from the original projections made by Time Warner. In addition, it scared away some of the original investment money, both of which caused Fusient in recent weeks to back away from the original $70-75 million purchase price and make an offer of $48.7 million for the company, which was close to finalization, although there were stumbling blocks, before Kellner made the decision. Just one year ago, when SFX was interested in buying WCW, the negotiations fell apart quickly when Time Warner was asking for $600 million for the money losing company, which in around a one year period during 1999 went from being enormously profitable and clearly the No. 1 pro wrestling company in the world to a huge money loser. The final deal, to WWF, is likely to be for a figure less than half of what Fusient had offered just days earlier because so much of the company value had been erased without the Turner television behind it.

Even as late as mid-week, there were signs the sale to Fusient was close to being finalized, for $5.7 million down and $2.15 million per year in payments over 20 years. Everyone was proceeding as if this was the case, with plans of building up new talent after a shutdown at the end of the month, which likely would have led to a re-opening sometime over the summer, and searching for locations in Las Vegas to be permanent homes for both Nitro and Thunder (which, perhaps unknown to Fusient, a decision had already been made to cancel more than a month earlier as reported here as a probability). The contract included provisions for Time Warner to maintain a minority interest in the company as well as a multi-year agreement where the Turner networks would continue to carry WCW programming. After the decision made by Kellner, who believed pro wrestling not to be upscale enough programming for what he wanted TBS and TNT to become, the original deal was dead. Stuart Snyder of the World Wrestling Federation had been back involved in negotiations to buy the company in recent weeks. The company was on the verge of being sold to Vince McMahon late last year, but a clause in its television contract with Viacom, guaranteeing that company's stations exclusivity on WWF programming, and Viacom not approving of McMahon producing programming for rival cable stations and the Turner Networks wanting to keep wrestling programming due to the better than average ratings, killed the deal and put Fusient back into the game.

quote:

Where things stand at press time is this. Time Warner is going to sell the company, within days, maybe two weeks at the most, almost assuredly to the WWF. It appears that Fusient officially backed out of the deal for good on 3/20 a desperation attempt to finalize a solid television deal on FOX after two days of meetings in time, which, without television, made it economically imprudent to put together a strong enough bid. FOX has negotiated with Bischoff on-and-off for more than one year, but has never finalized a deal.

April 2nd Observer posted:

This past week, TBS and TNT canceled wrestling. Fusient Media Ventures, the company that had been announced in January as the buyer for WCW, still was in the game trying to buy the company. All they had to do was clear a cable outlet. With several major stations out there, and this is wrestling, and it's ratings are still strong, one would think people would beg for the product. But, as ECW found out months earlier which caused Paul Heyman to throw in the towel and accept the verdict the current landscape had given, that wasn't the case. USA Network publicly washed their hands of it, and didn't even want to negotiate. E! had no interest. And after a last-ditch attempt to make a deal with FOX, for FX, failed, Fusient had to pull out.

quote:

Exactly how good faith the negotiations were from the WCW side is still a question. It is believed that Brad Siegel of Time Warner and Stuart Snyder of WWFE (who formerly worked for Time Warner) began negotiating the deal in late February. Since their previous deal fell apart because of WWFE's exclusive television contract with Viacom, even before Jamie Kellner made his statement killing wrestling on the station, they must have been leaning in that direction based on opening the serious aspect of the negotiations back up. Snyder was told in the negotiations weeks before it came out publicly, that they were not going to sell to Fusient, even though Fusient was still negotiating with the idea they were likely to close the deal.

quote:

Once Fusient pulled out due to its inability to close a television deal, WWFE finalized the deal within days, likely at a fire sale price. No terms were announced, however with the WWFE being public, the figures should be able to be deciphered eventually in either the quarterly or annual business reports.

Reading the March 26th or April 2nd issues I don't see how you can conclude my points aren't justified while if the information you're saying is there; is at best, written between the lines(2nd to last paragraph). Also, I never said Kellner wasn't right to sell the company to WWE; from his perspective it made plenty of sense.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 21, 2018

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Petitioning Jerusalem to rename this thread to If only the Buff Daddy pennant could have kept WCW's flag waving

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Look, it's me ok.
I killed WCW.
That 6 months in 99' when Rick Steiner came out every week and cut the same promo broke me.
I had second thoughts in 2000 but then Jeff Jarrett won the world title.
And then, Reno.
What I'm saying is you're welcome.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaybackJack posted:

There's no implication of that in the March 26, or April 2nd, Observers. Dave doesn't make any mention of Fusient being a company unable to purchase the company or continue paying money on a purchase, had they gotten tv. Even if they never say a dime of the long term money, the money they'd receive up front would have been a million dollars more than WWE's offer. I really don't think my points are out of line and if Dave knew Fusient wasn't going to actually be able to afford the company, he never outright states it or even hints at with his usually mocking disdain.

Reading the March 26th or April 2nd issues I don't see how you can conclude my points aren't justified while if the information you're saying is there; is at best, written between the lines(2nd to last paragraph). Also, I never said Kellner wasn't right to sell the company to WWE; from his perspective it made plenty of sense.

You ignored every reference in there to the negotiations being rocky. I have no idea why you bolded "all they had to do was clear a cable outlet" because the Observer makes it clear they were not going to do that.

The Fusient down payment was not bigger than the WWF's offer because the WWF was also purchasing several million in ads on the Turner networks.

Yes, Dave doesn't make mention that Fusient may not have been long term viable. It's an article from 17 years ago. More has been learned about the company and seriously, read between the lines. Fusient was a company that normally made investments in the low million dollar range. They were taking on a company losing MILLIONS OF DOLLARS PER MONTH. They had just lost one of their key investors in the project because of the financials. If you only want to go off Observers from the time and ignore everything else I am telling you, the headline of the 3/19/2001 Observer is THE QUESTIONABLE FUTURE OF WCW. That issue makes it clear the deal may not go through. Any time he does a mailbag question that asks what he thinks would have happened if the sale went through he says he has no idea if they'd have made it. But hey keep bolding stuff while completely ignoring other stuff that shows the opposite and pretending no one learned anything about the situation in the following 17 years.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
if only wcw was kept on in a clip show that no one watched on sunday afternoons that was bumped for nascar, baseball, and basketball

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave and PaybackJack were both wrong. WCW would have lived if only they had made more Buff pennants available to the general public to buy. All of the lost money would have been made back in triplicate

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

You ignored every reference in there to the negotiations being rocky. I have no idea why you bolded "all they had to do was clear a cable outlet" because the Observer makes it clear they were not going to do that.

The Fusient down payment was not bigger than the WWF's offer because the WWF was also purchasing several million in ads on the Turner networks.

Yes, Dave doesn't make mention that Fusient may not have been long term viable. It's an article from 17 years ago. More has been learned about the company and seriously, read between the lines. Fusient was a company that normally made investments in the low million dollar range. They were taking on a company losing MILLIONS OF DOLLARS PER MONTH. They had just lost one of their key investors in the project because of the financials. If you only want to go off Observers from the time and ignore everything else I am telling you, the headline of the 3/19/2001 Observer is THE QUESTIONABLE FUTURE OF WCW. That issue makes it clear the deal may not go through. Any time he does a mailbag question that asks what he thinks would have happened if the sale went through he says he has no idea if they'd have made it. But hey keep bolding stuff while completely ignoring other stuff that shows the opposite and pretending no one learned anything about the situation in the following 17 years.

So is there any way in which Vince's plans for WCW being a separate brand works? Also, my understanding is Joey Styles, Don Callis and a couple other people had signed contracts to work for the new verison of WCW. Those deals were not honored because they never performed, correct?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 21, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So is there any way in which Vince's plans for WCW being a separate brand works? Also, my understanding is Joey Styles, Don Callis and a couple other people had signed contracts to work for the new verison of WCW. Those deals were not honored because they never performed, correct?

Who knows with Vince's WCW. I assume it lasts a year and they do a big storyline at WM 18 where the WWF wins everything back. I don't think the Styles and Callis contracts were actually signed and if they were they just waited out their 90 day cycles.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

"The wcw" - bret hart

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I just finished reading through every 96-2001 observer over the past few months and legitimately believe WCW was always impossible to save. The one thing that finally brought it some profit - bringing in Hogan and other big names - was simply a ticking time bomb designed to destroy it.

Due to how WCW was managed and the fact that Turner and other suits were involved, no booker, Bischoff included, would ever have the power necessary to actually fix the product. Send guys like Hogan and Nash home and pay them to stay off TV? Some suit is going to come down on you and demand you put them on TV because of their salaries. Think you can slot them down the card? No way Jose, creative control. Also, now you're paying Hogan a huge PPV percentage to NOT be the main event and the bean counters are going to notice that. Everyone knew who was really in charge. That's why Nick Patrick blew the fast count and Nash was smart enough to not cross Hogan, even when doing an nWo split feud.

I could go on and on, but ultimately I believe WCW was doomed because there couldn't be a Vince figure, a guy who would fire/bench people who crossed him and who refused to do business, popularity be damned. The only person Vince ever took that poo poo from was HBK and I think it was because he was at his lowest point and terrified of losing yet another star. WCW folds and why should Bischoff care? he's still rich and will get some other job. Vince would not have the same cavalier attitude letting his empire die, he is the WWE.

Those few years of profitability in WCW were the outlier. For almost all of its history, it was a constant struggle and revolving door of bookers trying to deal with big contracts, egos, and office suits who didn't know about wrestling. All the systemic problems there before the boom period (constant wrestler no-shows, terrible house shows and mis-advertisement, sloppy tv production and storylines, guys refusing to job) were still there during the 96-98 highs, but the product was hot enough to hide them in the back. When WCW cooled off, the same old problems came back with a vengeance to kill it.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Cavauro posted:

"The wcw" - bret hart

Who are you to doubt El Dandy?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tato posted:

I just finished reading through every 96-2001 observer over the past few months and legitimately believe WCW was always impossible to save. The one thing that finally brought it some profit - bringing in Hogan and other big names - was simply a ticking time bomb designed to destroy it.

Due to how WCW was managed and the fact that Turner and other suits were involved, no booker, Bischoff included, would ever have the power necessary to actually fix the product. Send guys like Hogan and Nash home and pay them to stay off TV? Some suit is going to come down on you and demand you put them on TV because of their salaries. Think you can slot them down the card? No way Jose, creative control. Also, now you're paying Hogan a huge PPV percentage to NOT be the main event and the bean counters are going to notice that. Everyone knew who was really in charge. That's why Nick Patrick blew the fast count and Nash was smart enough to not cross Hogan, even when doing an nWo split feud.

I could go on and on, but ultimately I believe WCW was doomed because there couldn't be a Vince figure, a guy who would fire/bench people who crossed him and who refused to do business, popularity be damned. The only person Vince ever took that poo poo from was HBK and I think it was because he was at his lowest point and terrified of losing yet another star. WCW folds and why should Bischoff care? he's still rich and will get some other job. Vince would not have the same cavalier attitude letting his empire die, he is the WWE.

Those few years of profitability in WCW were the outlier. For almost all of its history, it was a constant struggle and revolving door of bookers trying to deal with big contracts, egos, and office suits who didn't know about wrestling. All the systemic problems there before the boom period (constant wrestler no-shows, terrible house shows and mis-advertisement, sloppy tv production and storylines, guys refusing to job) were still there during the 96-98 highs, but the product was hot enough to hide them in the back. When WCW cooled off, the same old problems came back with a vengeance to kill it.

The one exception I would make to their profitability being a ticking time bomb is Goldberg. He gave them a way out of all of that. While there was still a minefield in the form of those contracts, they had a hot act that was generating obscene amounts of revenue.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

El Dandy won the lottery to face ric flair and gave up his championship aspirations to Rey Mysterio who fucken wasted it so don't send me quotes about El daddy being "doubted" by me. Bret Hart is the one who sucks and sucked and I doubt he could even do anything. God drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Oh yeah, Goldberg was a lucky life preserver that somehow makes it even sadder that they hosed it up. But Hogan and Nash were very smart in expertly sabotaging him. Not only did they find a way to make him less over after winning the belt, but eventually turned him into a paranoid dude who refused to do jobs as well. I think they would have been just as successful in sabotaging any other phenoms WCW lucked into.

Lots of gently caress ups, but Bischoff not caring anymore thanks to losing the ratings war and giving Nash the book was the fatal wound they just took a few years to bleed out from. The damage he did to the brand and the viewer patterns in that period were immense.