Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't use it a lot except for things I can't get elsewhere, but due to geographic reasons, shipping costs and price gouging I'm likely an outlier.

Of course, it's likely people in similar locations, lifestyles and situations will use or not use it for similar reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, I wasn't posting that as a judgment or anything, it's just legitimately unusual nowadays. All the way back in 2016, 43% of US adults were shopping online several times per month or more. 79% were shopping online at least some of the time. In 2017, 45% of US adults did most of their holiday shopping online. It's probably going to be a majority or close to it this year.

It's worth pointing out from that second link that the percentage of people shopping at locally owned stores is actually declining more rapidly than the number of people shopping at big box, outlet, or department stores.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably declining with the locally owned stores full stop.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Cheesus posted:

My wife has the same attitude but i had to ask: Is it really better to not pay Amazon and instead pay Walmart or Target or any other major corporation? In my area, Amazon is at least contributing locally by paying the USPS for deliveries.
Around here, it's possible to shop at smaller stores. We have independently owned and operated hardware stores, sporting goods stores, clothing stores, etc. We also have supermarkets whose employees are unionized.

If I were actually saving money by using Amazon Prime (and other people certainly do), then maybe it would make sense to take the money saved and give it to charity. But given the fact that in our situation the cost is the same, I can choose to direct that expense to sustaining my hometown instead of "maximizing efficiency".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, I wasn't posting that as a judgment or anything, it's just legitimately unusual nowadays. All the way back in 2016, 43% of US adults were shopping online several times per month or more. 79% were shopping online at least some of the time. In 2017, 45% of US adults did most of their holiday shopping online. It's probably going to be a majority or close to it this year.

It's worth pointing out from that second link that the percentage of people shopping at locally owned stores is actually declining more rapidly than the number of people shopping at big box, outlet, or department stores.

im not talking about how unusual it is or not, i just think the guy saying the only reason to not shop amazon is being anti-capitalist or poor is an idiot

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

mandatory lesbian posted:

im not talking about how unusual it is or not, i just think the guy saying the only reason to not shop amazon is being anti-capitalist or poor is an idiot
Good thing I never said that then. Whew.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Neon Noodle posted:

We had prime for a while but then did the math and found out it was a wash. Now if we need stuff from Amazon we just wait and build up larger orders for free shipping. But also we’re getting more conscientious about buying locally from independent stores. I live in Boston so that is more possible than it is for a lot of people. I would rather give that $100 per year to the stores in my area by paying a slight price premium. Better they get the $ than Bezos.

Everytime I try to buy from a store, they inevitably end up not having what I want and I have to go on Amazon anyway.

Like, I was trying to get some soccer cleats. I went to a *soccer store*, and they barely had any cleats in my size at all. Went a giant mall, same thing. Ended up going on Amazon and just getting it there. I tried man, I loving tried. This also happens to me with pants. I went to a 2 or 3 stores looking for a slacks that would go with a suit. They carried literally every combination of size and length but 34x36. I'm in this weird area where I don't fit in the normal range of sizes but I'm also not fat. Again, I ended up ordering through Amazon anyway and would have saved time and gas if I didn't even bother with the store.

I also wanted some catnip seeds so I can attract the little bastards to my yard :catdrugs:. A hardware store and the pet store next door both didn't have it. It's like c'mon man. Seems like unless you want something super common, you're ordering it online and that's it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Paradoxish posted:

I feel like you've posted something along these lines in this thread before (or maybe it was someone else), but this is really, really unusual. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but it's not common at all to largely abstain from online shopping at this point and I honestly don't know anyone who does it. Not coworkers, not friends, not parents, not my parent's friends. If no one in your social circle routinely shops online in 2018 then your social circle is an outlier.

it's really a function of how much poo poo you're buying

if the poo poo you buy can't be had in a local store, then you're going to get it online

pretty much none of the poo poo i buy isn't carried in a store near me. i live in a very metro area but also i dont buy a lot of poo poo, so

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

I feel like you've posted something along these lines in this thread before (or maybe it was someone else), but this is really, really unusual. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but it's not common at all to largely abstain from online shopping at this point and I honestly don't know anyone who does it. Not coworkers, not friends, not parents, not my parent's friends. If no one in your social circle routinely shops online in 2018 then your social circle is an outlier.

Seriously. I'm actually a late adopter of this stuff. I knew about Ebay and Amazon and the rest of them in the late 90's and I didn't actually start buying anything online until around 08. The floodgates really didn't open until 2014.

It is odd if it hasn't been integrated into your buying habits at this point.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I've started buying less and less stuff from Amazon lately. I've been comparing prices often and Amazon is not the cheapest anymore, most local retailers or smaller, specialty online shops have what I need cheaper. And I live a mile from an Amazon DC and get my stuff same day or next.

I've probably bought more from BestBuy and Walmart in the last 2 years than I have in the decade before.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

boner confessor posted:

It's also a function of specialization. In addition to buying English poo poo in Germany online, I'm a skinny nerd and buying pants that fit is hard even on the internet, IRL it's nearly impossible (except at Uniqlo). Online ordering is a loving godsend for anyone with needs outside the norm.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

FCKGW posted:

I've started buying less and less stuff from Amazon lately. I've been comparing prices often and Amazon is not the cheapest anymore, most local retailers or smaller, specialty online shops have what I need cheaper. And I live a mile from an Amazon DC and get my stuff same day or next.

I've probably bought more from BestBuy and Walmart in the last 2 years than I have in the decade before.

I'm mostly the same, unless it is really esoteric stuff I buy stuff in store these days. Even when Amazon is slightly cheaper I tend to go for the brick and mortar since I trust it more. I've gotten some dodgy items from Amazon and I don't trust their reviews since they aggregate it for product (sometimes across a wide range of models too) and their shipping practices are atrocious.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

boner confessor posted:

if the poo poo you buy can't be had in a local store, then you're going to get it online

pretty much none of the poo poo i buy isn't carried in a store near me. i live in a very metro area but also i dont buy a lot of poo poo, so

Maybe. That first study I linked to found that the primary driver for online shoppers was price. Even heavy online shoppers were more likely to purchase something in store if they could find it cheaper. This seems to track with big box stores being the most popular place to buy things by a large margin after online shopping. People are just buying their poo poo wherever they can get it the cheapest.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cicero posted:

Are you poor, or do you hang out with a really anti-capitalist crowd?

I dropped it a long while back when 2 day delivery became 3-5 day. Not worth paying for at that point. Then Amazon got absurdly bad about being a clearinghouse for knockoff product, and I quit shopping there entirely.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I'm really surprised at how many of you guys are saying that Amazon Prime takes longer than two days. I buy a ton of stuff from Amazon and I can't remember ever having something take longer than two days to reach me. Most of the time I get my order next day. I wonder if there are particular regions that are especially bad for some reason?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Paradoxish posted:

I'm really surprised at how many of you guys are saying that Amazon Prime takes longer than two days. I buy a ton of stuff from Amazon and I can't remember ever having something take longer than two days to reach me. Most of the time I get my order next day. I wonder if there are particular regions that are especially bad for some reason?

I live in LA. Once in a while I would get things next day even on 2 day shipping, but I guess they figured it out and make drat sure it's 2 days, no more and no less.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Probably depends on how far a fulfillment center is. Once Amazon built one in the Minneapolis area the majority of my packages get to me next day.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It is shocking how I rely on a 2 day delivery time and my purchases are made with that expectation in mind.

Like I broke a mic stand last week so I ordered a new one on Tuesday because I have practice tonight. I got home from work and it wasn’t there but 10 minutes after that someone rolled up in a minivan and delivered it.

If you come to expect reliable delivery windows amazon becomes a crutch because of how easy the ordering process is.

That said, I had to read dozens of reviews and search through a bunch of “related products” to wind up at a mic stand that wasn’t clearly absolute poo poo. Basically if you know exactly the brand and mode you’re looking for amazon is fine but if you search “microphone stand” they know they’ve hooked a complete rube that they can swindle for a lovely product.

E: ok the ordering process sucks rear end when you consider my last point.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I live on a remote backwater island so anything shipping related is slow and over priced.
We used to have a postal distribution centre on the island but they closed it down, so now if you want to mail something to someone down the street it ends up going all the way to the mainland by ferry or plane, then all the way back. I've run into a ton of shipping problems when online shopping where there will be huge sticker-shock customs fees or random unexpected semi-illegal COD charges. Had a small package sail over the sea like 6 times because I didn't want to pay their outrageous fee, got them to waive it, but the package got stuck in a loop in their system. When it came to local delivery it was flagged as "refused COD, return to hub" but at the hub centre on the mainland it was flagged that the COD has been overridden and deliver it anyways so they kept playing ping pong with my package and no one I called knew how to fix it.

USA/Canada shipping is a god drat nightmare. Meanwhile I can order tons of stuff from anywhere else in the world and it often comes faster, cheaper, and never with surprise fees.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
There are waaay too many poo poo alibaba-rebranded products on amazon with pumped up fake 4 star reviews. I would compare it to the google play store in regards to levels of garbage.

I shouldn’t have to plug every item I’m considering into a site like fakespot to see if it’s the real deal or not.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

There are waaay too many poo poo alibaba-rebranded products on amazon with pumped up fake 4 star reviews. I would compare it to the google play store in regards to levels of garbage.

I shouldn’t have to plug every item I’m considering into a site like fakespot to see if it’s the real deal or not.

At least you can filter down to just 1 star reviews with Amazon unlike Google Play. The Google Play store reviews are completely unusable because they make it impossible to usefully sort them.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Baronjutter posted:

USA/Canada shipping is a god drat nightmare. Meanwhile I can order tons of stuff from anywhere else in the world and it often comes faster, cheaper, and never with surprise fees.

I'll second that emotion. I'm a Canadian-born Brit who lives in the Great Lakes region of the US now, and everything I order from Europe always comes noticeably faster than anything from Canada... despite the intervening ocean and the thousands of extra kilometres it has to travel. I once ordered a book from Germany and another from Montréal, both via Amazon on the same day; I did not have tracking information for either so I could not follow them or know when they were actually sent from the seller. The book from Germany arrived 6 calendar days later; the one from Canada took 17.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I buy clothes irl but just about everything else on Amazon these days. Running errands just takes too long in the city traffic and adding more stores to the route would mean I spend all my time at work, at a store, or in traffic.

And prime video is p sweet

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
You know what I like about shopping on Amazon? I don't have to be clothed or sober. I can shop drunk at 4 a.m. in my underwear and nobody will care.

Then they'll deliver it right to my door! It's incredible.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You know what I like about shopping on Amazon? I don't have to be clothed or sober. I can shop drunk at 4 a.m. in my underwear and nobody will care.

They actually do care.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Bah, I can do that at the all-night Kroger.

I don't have an Amazon account, much less prime, and have maybe 2-3 times asked a friend to get me something I couldn't find anywhere else through theirs. I avoid it mostly for ethical reasons, but the lovely search function makes it a lot easier. It makes for kind of a fun holier-than-thou thing to bring up in the smugger affluent liberal gatherings.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Paradoxish posted:

You don't have to abstain from online shopping to order little enough that Prime is a bad deal. That goes double if you check prices on places that aren't Amazon, or want stuff that's hard to sift through on Amazon(aka 'basically everything that resists their super-basic categorization options' and 'any product type that has a ton of dodgy sellers on Amazon'). Just like how some retail shoppers got fooled into thinking Walmart's always the cheapest, lots of people don't seem to realize that Amazon isn't always the cheapest or best place to shop online. loving Best Buy managed to beat Amazon's price on something for me recently, as an example. Only by a couple dollars, but still.

I'd have to actively buy tons of crap I neither need nor want to make Prime worth it for me. As it stands I buy maybe one or two things from them a month, and don't see the point in paying extra for 2-day shipping when stuff gets here in less than a week anyway. :effort:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Haifisch posted:

You don't have to abstain from online shopping to order little enough that Prime is a bad deal. That goes double if you check prices on places that aren't Amazon, or want stuff that's hard to sift through on Amazon(aka 'basically everything that resists their super-basic categorization options' and 'any product type that has a ton of dodgy sellers on Amazon'). Just like how some retail shoppers got fooled into thinking Walmart's always the cheapest, lots of people don't seem to realize that Amazon isn't always the cheapest or best place to shop online. loving Best Buy managed to beat Amazon's price on something for me recently, as an example. Only by a couple dollars, but still.

I'd have to actively buy tons of crap I neither need nor want to make Prime worth it for me. As it stands I buy maybe one or two things from them a month, and don't see the point in paying extra for 2-day shipping when stuff gets here in less than a week anyway. :effort:
This is the mistake everyone keeps making. Prime now is way more than just shipping. Free streaming with a ton of great content, free music, free twitch, many other services. If you don't use any of that it's not a great deal, but for us prime video seals the deal.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's especially bad. You do not want to become too dependent on any one company's ecosystem.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Prime video is pretty lame as far as included with prime for free content goes

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

NaanViolence posted:

That's especially bad. You do not want to become too dependent on any one company's ecosystem.

What's this bullshit. There's rarely any advantage to intentionally shattering your service usage. And besides a lot of things Amazon has now weren't Amazon's when Prime first started (and incidentally cost a good grip less).

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah Prime Video sucks. But Twitch Turbo was $99/year and is now included in Prime so that's $99 less each year just on that service. There's also the Washington Post which is $120/year for a digital subscription, now $24/year for Prime members.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

When I lived in England I used Amazon to buy nearly everything except food. If I wanted to buy something specific from a brick-and-mortar store it meant a 20-minute drive, paying to park, then walking to the store (5-10 minutes), and usually finding that the stores didn't carry whatever I was looking for because they're naturally space-constricted and have limited stock. Countless times I would attempt to support local business and end up going home empty-handed to buy poo poo off Amazon instead.

Whereas out here in the American Midwest if I want something I can rock up to one of these massive warehouse sized department stores and they often have what I'm looking for because they're loving huge.

Except for books because B&N's selection is terrible.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pay for twitch? Isn't it a thing to watch other people play video games?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Pay for twitch? Isn't it a thing to watch other people play video games?

Yes, and you can pay money to the streamers you watch all day if you want

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:thermidor:

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Raldikuk posted:

Prime video is pretty lame as far as included with prime for free content goes

It'll lose it soon but they've had all of HBO sans GoT and a few other recent series for the last few years. And some of their originals are are really good. Plus random good movies/TV. As part of the combined Prime value bundle it's a great deal.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Zachack posted:

And some of their originals are are really good

The Marveolus mrs. Maisel owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Fame Douglas posted:

In regards to credit card rewards: I feel we should strictly limit the fees debit/credit card companies are allowed to take, just like the EU. Credit card fees are extremely high in the US. Should be significantly less than 1%

On which end, for the merchant or the consumer? It isn't hard to get around credit card fees if you know what you are doing, hell my mom min/maxes credit card rewards in order to get the most out of the benefits without paying a penny in fees or interest.