Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Nice rims.

Good to hear they are ok if a bit bruised though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Diesel Railcar Sim has me watching weird videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5xiM0LYtA

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
Five minutes walk from my house this morning, I think I someone shouted hello from the cab (excuse shaky phone vid, I was balancing on a fence):

https://youtu.be/3d-9n3-k_uU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

inkjet_lakes posted:

Five minutes walk from my house this morning, I think I someone shouted hello from the cab (excuse shaky phone vid, I was balancing on a fence):

I think this might be the only modern video of a steam train I've seen where they haven't been overfuelling it and/or running the blowers to make an impressive column of smoke and/or steam.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

IPCRESS posted:

I think this might be the only modern video of a steam train I've seen where they haven't been overfuelling it and/or running the blowers to make an impressive column of smoke and/or steam.

I think they save that for arriving at stations

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

IPCRESS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp-b4Ce4Mf4

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IPCRESS posted:

They save it for a.

inkjet_lakes posted:

I think they save that for arriving at stations

and B. specified photo op areas. Or the long and short of it: the excursions plan out several spots where they're going to run rich for the big clouds, so the railfans who aren't on it can figure out where to set up for the "classic" steam picture of a big cloud coming out of the stack.

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006

stevewm posted:

Relevant....

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7ttKX46nJxUeXZ0aoD4Q5g

I will admit to having watched every episode.
Thank you for linking to this. It's surprisingly fun to watch.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

pr0craztinazn posted:

Thank you for linking to this. It's surprisingly fun to watch.

Geoff also has his own personal channel where he posts some random train/transport related videos regularly.

https://www.youtube.com/user/geofftech2

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Another poo poo train.

Literally, a train full of poo poo. That sat in a luckless Alabama town for 2 months due to a bureaucratic deadlock:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/19/nyregion/poop-train-alabama.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

stevewm posted:

Geoff also has his own personal channel where he posts some random train/transport related videos regularly.

https://www.youtube.com/user/geofftech2

He also runs/hosts the Londonist channel which is often mostly about trains too or just former and upcoming infrastructure in london

https://www.youtube.com/user/Londonistvids

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Axeman Jim posted:

Another poo poo train.

Literally, a train full of poo poo. That sat in a luckless Alabama town for 2 months due to a bureaucratic deadlock:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/19/nyregion/poop-train-alabama.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Another? That's the same one I posted about on the last page. Glad it's resolved!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

drunkill posted:

He also runs/hosts the Londonist channel which is often mostly about trains too or just former and upcoming infrastructure in london

https://www.youtube.com/user/Londonistvids

Yep! That is how I originally discovered him and all the stations.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

inkjet_lakes posted:

Watching that got me this in the recommendeds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9mDv-QR0eo

Not the sort of thing you'd expect down a little alleyway between two houses.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Saukkis posted:

This could contain few interesting pictures, "Taking the Train from China to Switzerland (or How to Avoid Jet-Lag)". Currently four parts have been posted.

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

quote:

Mongolian border in the middle of the night: the entire train including passengers is lifted up and the wheels exchanged to fit the Mongolian railway system.

:stare:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Not sure if this belongs in here, the people you share the road with, or cycle asylum.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-county/bs-md-train-motorcyle-crash-white-marsh-20180508-story.html

quote:

A motorcyclist reportedly tried to outrun a CSX train in White Marsh Tuesday afternoon but crashed instead, according to Baltimore County Police.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Itzena posted:

Watching that got me this in the recommendeds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9mDv-QR0eo

Not the sort of thing you'd expect down a little alleyway between two houses.

I bet the trespass figures for that line are interesting.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/05/08/only-on-2-angry-drivers-forced-to-wait-while-train-engineer-brakes-for-food

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

that train driver is alpha as hell

I love that the guy who reported it is all "I was pretty angry at the time but looking back it was actually pretty funny"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hey when it's time for a lunch break, it's time for a lunch break

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
When the yard master tells you to go to beans, but they have special instructions saying you have to eat it in the cab.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
We did sort of the same thing when they made our paid 30 min lunch break into an hour of unpaid.
This was during a shunting(?) shift at a yard so when it got close to lunch time we just left poo poo wherever, took the engine to its parking spot a mile or so away, shut it down by the book (which is a 20 min or so process) and walked to the break room, changed to civilian clothes then clocked out.

gently caress yo lunchbreak.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
As expected the UK government has been forced to re-nationalise the East Coast Main Line for the second time in a decade, presumably permanently this time since there's no talk of it going back out to tender.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44142258

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hopefully that doesn't mess with my Virgin Trains East Coast ticket that I bought for my trip in August.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

In the US it would be a case of "lol free market has spoken, no more train service!"

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Went to a hump yard today:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

In the US it would be a case of "lol free market has spoken, no more train service!"

Counterpoint: Conrail

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

iospace posted:

We're talking about passenger service. Before you reference Amtrak, how many passenger service routes have been shut down since Amtrak's inception?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

iospace posted:

like bovine noted, there is a massive difference between a passenger line curtailment or shutdown and the penn central bankruptcy. gigantic differences. penn central serviced something like 50% of the population of the united states. had the govt not stepped in to form conrail, the economy would have been wrecked. further, the penn central, as conrail, proved that the market it serviced could be profitable but it was constrained in such a way that it couldn't make money until legislation changed.

read: the men who loved trains and the great railroad revolution. they both do a much better job of explaining the situation.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

vains posted:

like bovine noted, there is a massive difference between a passenger line curtailment or shutdown and the penn central bankruptcy. gigantic differences. penn central serviced something like 50% of the population of the united states. had the govt not stepped in to form conrail, the economy would have been wrecked. further, the penn central, as conrail, proved that the market it serviced could be profitable but it was constrained in such a way that it couldn't make money until legislation changed.

read: the men who loved trains and the great railroad revolution. they both do a much better job of explaining the situation.

Also, if you're into it, the "Rail Act of 1980 Background Materials", which was prepared for the Committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce during the build up to the Staggers Act, is interesting reading into how the whole mess evolved and how bad it got.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015081188693;view=1up;seq=22

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

As expected the UK government has been forced to re-nationalise the East Coast Main Line for the second time in a decade, presumably permanently this time since there's no talk of it going back out to tender.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44142258

Unfortunately not- from that BBC article:

Auntie Beeb posted:

"For the next two years the operator of last resort, overseen by the Department of Transport will operate the East Coast Main Line.

It will be advised by the engineering firm Arup.

In 2020 there will be another tender process for operating the franchise.

Mr Grayling would like to see closer co-operation between the state-owned Network Rail which owns the track infrastructure and the private train operators.

Despite their failure on the East Coast Main Line, Virgin and Stagecoach will be allowed to bid for future rail franchises.

So the private sector will have another crack at running it. Although that 2020 timescale is an election year, and Labour's preferred process of nationalising the railways is to simply take back franchises as they expire...or not give back the ones the government already has, perhaps?

I'm also liking the fact that the branding for the ECML in Government Ownership Take #2 is London & North Eastern Railway, since the original LNER was nationalised by the 1945 Labour government to form British Railways. Shadows from history?

vains posted:

conrail, proved that the market it serviced could be profitable but it was constrained in such a way that it couldn't make money until legislation changed.

Was that removal of common carrier legislation, by any chance? One of the things which hamstrung British Railways was that it laboured under Victorian-era common carrier laws put in place when the railways had a complete monopoly on large-scale long-distance transport, which BR inherited from the private companies. So BR was legally required to transport any goods, of any amount, between any two stations on the network at legally-enforced and publically published rates. It was originally supposed to prevent the railways price-gouging, cherry-picking only maximally-profitably traffic, failing to serve sparsely-populated rural areas or simply ignoring small-scale businesses and individuals who needed to transport small amounts of cargo. But when rail freight was struggling under booming road transport and the growth of the motorway network that just locked BR into a death-spiral, since the road carriers could adjust their prices on the fly (and simply undercut BR's published rates) and turn down business that made no (or too little) profit to be worth their while. As the roads took more and more freight traffic BR was still lumbered with having to provide, maintain and staff goods depots all over the country which were generating less and less revenue but were legally required to exist. BR didn't get rid of those legal shackles until 1962 when it was given legal freedom of contract, immediately leading to BR almost overnight ceasing to bother with piece-load, wagon-load and even mixed-load traffic. It was all about block trains moving between dedicated and mechanised loading/unloading facilities.

The private rail companies had repeatedly asked for the repeal of the common carrier legislation in response to the Great Depression and rising road competition in the 1930s and the failure of the government to do so was one of the reasons that the two big companies were in such a delicate financial state even before WW2.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

BalloonFish posted:

I'm also liking the fact that the branding for the ECML in Government Ownership Take #2 is London & North Eastern Railway, since the original LNER was nationalised by the 1945 Labour government to form British Railways. Shadows from history?

This is far from the first time that this has happened - in fact, if this goes ahead, every Big Four member except the LMS will have a franchise using it's name, logo and or scheme;

Great Western Railway

Southern

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

BalloonFish posted:

Was that removal of common carrier legislation, by any chance? One of the things which hamstrung British Railways was that it laboured under Victorian-era common carrier laws put in place when the railways had a complete monopoly on large-scale long-distance transport, which BR inherited from the private companies. So BR was legally required to transport any goods, of any amount, between any two stations on the network at legally-enforced and publically published rates. It was originally supposed to prevent the railways price-gouging, cherry-picking only maximally-profitably traffic, failing to serve sparsely-populated rural areas or simply ignoring small-scale businesses and individuals who needed to transport small amounts of cargo. But when rail freight was struggling under booming road transport and the growth of the motorway network that just locked BR into a death-spiral, since the road carriers could adjust their prices on the fly (and simply undercut BR's published rates) and turn down business that made no (or too little) profit to be worth their while. As the roads took more and more freight traffic BR was still lumbered with having to provide, maintain and staff goods depots all over the country which were generating less and less revenue but were legally required to exist. BR didn't get rid of those legal shackles until 1962 when it was given legal freedom of contract, immediately leading to BR almost overnight ceasing to bother with piece-load, wagon-load and even mixed-load traffic. It was all about block trains moving between dedicated and mechanised loading/unloading facilities.

The private rail companies had repeatedly asked for the repeal of the common carrier legislation in response to the Great Depression and rising road competition in the 1930s and the failure of the government to do so was one of the reasons that the two big companies were in such a delicate financial state even before WW2.

a big piece of it was deregulation of railroads.

distilled down to a paragraph:
by the 1960s, the north eastern railroads were being outcompeted by other modes for passenger traffic. as the northeast began to deindustrialize, the railroads were competing for an ever shrinking share of freight with trucks who were faster and more responsive. the icc, as a body appointed by congress, was heavily influenced by the demands of constituents and generally moved at a glacially slow pace. the nyc/prr were unable to increase revenue by raising rates because those were set by the icc. they were unable to reduce costs by abandoning lines, curtailing service or reducing crew sizes in response to technological advances because the icc also regulated service and crew size. the icc also regulated mergers and prevented some from occurring that might have forestalled, but not prevented, the collapse of the penn central.* by 1970, the penn central had been locked into a vicious cycle where they weren't making enough money to reinvest and maintenance was deferred. deferred maintenance led to slow orders, derailments, stopped trains and bad order locomotives/cars. these lead to poor velocity and congestion which increases costs which further reduces money available for maintenance. between 1973 and 1981, 3 acts were passed(3-r, 4-r and the staggers act) which deregulated the railroads and created conrail.

the two books i suggested above, both available on kindle for a reasonable price, cover this in much more detail.

*the c&o had courted the prr or nyc as a merger partner. this would have created a network with little duplication and strong coal revenues. further, as part of the nrc/prr merger, the prr had to sell their stake in the virginian, a highly profitable coal hauler. the penn central also had to take on the failing new york, new haven and hartford as part of the terms of the merger.
edit: might not have been the virginian, but they had a stake in a profitable coal hauler that they were forced to divest.

vains fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 18, 2018

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

hackbunny posted:

barricaded one posted:

I don't think I have seen this posted; but anyways, it's insanely detailed railwaymaps: http://www.openrailwaymap.org/

Oh come on it's even got tram lines :monocle:

Tram lines? Its even got the different animal enclosures at the zoo I take the train to get to in Holland labeled correctly.

(And I know I'm months behind, but still! )

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

hackbunny posted:

Ika posted:

Oh come on it's even got tram lines :monocle:

Tram lines? Its even got the different animal enclosures at the zoo I take the train to get to in Holland labeled correctly.

(And I know I'm months behind, but still! )

Someone's taken it a bit far

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I guess locomotives get bondo too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Patch jobs are the best.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

These are the bicyclists you share a tunnel with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTEry6zdyBo

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Amazing.

Although a curved tunnel with no recesses for people is a bit dangerous. Recesses for workers though, not cyclists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

drunkill posted:

Amazing.

Although a curved tunnel with no recesses for people is a bit dangerous. Recesses for workers though, not cyclists.

He probably could have laid down in the bottom corner of the tunnel and been fine, but panic is a hell of a drug.

Edit: Got to see some steam locomotives a couple weekends ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJyIADihTtg

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 31, 2018