Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-goblin-storm-modern

Better pull out your auntie's hovels out of your bulk bin as its about to up up up.

fehsunditty

deck seems like fun though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Retromancer posted:

eh, by the time you can cast a big empty the warrens you probably have plenty of mana.

Yeah but

What if you used it to cast an even bigger empty the warrens!?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Literally bought all the stuff for Goblin Fecundity before that video dropped. Good timing I guess?

His build does seem weird though. Seems a bit clunkier, especially with all the rituals. Although Auntie's Hovel does seem nice as a cheaper alternative to Blackcleave Cliffs.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Auntie's Hovel out of stock at Card Kingdom lol

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Yeah but

What if you used it to cast an even bigger empty the warrens!?

This but unironically.......

also replace the bigger empty the warrens with grapeshot

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it offends me that you'd use grapeshot instead of goblin bombardment, like c'mon stay on theme dangit

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mandatory lesbian posted:

it offends me that you'd use grapeshot instead of goblin bombardment, like c'mon stay on theme dangit

Not Modern legal.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cactrot posted:

Not Modern legal.

wtf, garbage format

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

mandatory lesbian posted:

wtf, garbage format

This is exactly what I said when I first heard that Modern doesn't have Goblin Bombardment.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I may have made a terrible mistake getting back into Magic in TYOOL 2018.

It’s way too easy to wake up in the middle of the night and end up dropping $100 on singles while trying to get back to sleep.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AnEdgelord posted:

This but unironically.......

also replace the bigger empty the warrens with grapeshot

No, we use Empty The Warrens so we can create a third, even bigger Empty the Warrens.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

BGrifter posted:

I may have made a terrible mistake getting back into Magic in TYOOL 2018.

It’s way too easy to wake up in the middle of the night and end up dropping $100 on singles while trying to get back to sleep.

Get out before it is too late

Grown adults with real jobs and wizard poker addictions do bad things with their money

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Walked posted:

Get out before it is too late

Grown adults with real jobs and wizard poker addictions do bad things with their money

“I don’t really need this bad rare but they’re $0.29 each... might as well buy a play set” x100.

At least I’m assembling playsets of Standard dual lands. That’s a somewhat sensible purchase unlike random janky pirate crap.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BGrifter posted:

“I don’t really need this bad rare but they’re $0.29 each... might as well buy a play set” x100.

At least I’m assembling playsets of Standard dual lands. That’s a somewhat sensible purchase unlike random janky pirate crap.

Don't buy standard cards with arena looming. Spend 100 bucks on modern instead.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Sickening posted:

Don't buy standard cards with arena looming. Spend 100 bucks on modern instead.

Arena won’t change anything for me till they release a Mac or iOS client unfortunately.

For now I’m sticking to Standard and Draft at FNM/weekends.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Get into Pauper.

Sir Mopalot
Jun 8, 2014
Speaking of getting into pauper, anyone have anything fun to play in that? Thinking about getting into the format and so I'm building a couple decks. Sultai land destruction seems fun to me but neither very good nor likely to convince my friends to play much.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I mostly went to the MTG Goldfish Metagame page and grabbed decks that looked interesting. Right now I have Affinity, Elves, Mono-White Heroic, Tortured Existence and a bunch of fringier decks built.

I'm planning to play Elves at the next Rags to Riches in May.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Some Numbers posted:

Get into Pauper.

Already in! Just bought a flip n tray double to carry both my Standard and Pauper decks.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm not sure exactly how, but this list seems pretty suboptimal to me.

E: I think Harbinger is actually potentially a really good addition but the best shell of the deck to me seems like laying down tokens until you can play Fecundity and combo off.

Bogart Harbinger is okay but if you're going to do black you want Viscera Seer too. Or maybe even instead. Certainly Viscera Seer is the best generic sac outlet in the format. I also tested with Grim Haruspex, yeah it doesn't draw on tokens but it does draw enough, but it wasn't really great. You still wanted Fecundity in play. Commune with the Gods is also a thing that helps find Fecundity but feels terrible to hit wile comboing off. Mostly the mulligan is your most powerful tool to get a hand that can combo, because without Fecundity in it you aren't likely to combo at all.

I tried the ritual ritual plunge (=ritual) deck too and while it's not bad it's all-in on comboing, which depend a lot more on the state of your opening hand than the aggro-combo version. The nice thing about going Aggro-Combo is that it sometimes can just win off of tokens and bushwhackers.

Also why the heck is Piledriver in that deck, that is just pointless.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheDemon posted:

Bogart Harbinger is okay but if you're going to do black you want Viscera Seer too. Or maybe even instead. Certainly Viscera Seer is the best generic sac outlet in the format. I also tested with Grim Haruspex, yeah it doesn't draw on tokens but it does draw enough, but it wasn't really great. You still wanted Fecundity in play. Commune with the Gods is also a thing that helps find Fecundity but feels terrible to hit wile comboing off. Mostly the mulligan is your most powerful tool to get a hand that can combo, because without Fecundity in it you aren't likely to combo at all.

I tried the ritual ritual plunge (=ritual) deck too and while it's not bad it's all-in on comboing, which depend a lot more on the state of your opening hand than the aggro-combo version. The nice thing about going Aggro-Combo is that it sometimes can just win off of tokens and bushwhackers.

Also why the heck is Piledriver in that deck, that is just pointless.

There’s a 4 mana eldrazi that draws cards on creature sacrifice too

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Smothering Abomination could work but slower is worse. I'll have to try it.

The thing that got me about the combo specifically is how it really wants to both draw a card and add a mana with as many cards as possible.

Draw a card is per creature. Like, Pyretic Ritual is +1 mana but doesn't draw a card. That's fine for storming up to an Empty the Warrens you already have in hand, it's not great without that component.

The cards that are at least at least replace the draw and mana are:
Krenko's Command (replaces itself and draws +1)
Dragon Fodder (replaces itself and draws +1)
Hordeling Outburst (replaces itself and draws +2)
Mogg War Marshal (replaces itself and draws +2 and mana +1)
Kuldotha Rebirth (replaces itself and replaces the artifact and draws +2 and mana +2)
Empty the Warrens (once you play one you have everything you need to draw and cast your deck)
Manamorphose (replaces itself)
Wild Cantor (replaces itself)
Any 1cc Goblin (replaces itself)

Kind of:
Chancellor of the Forge (replaces itself and mana +1... for the opening hand. otherwise is a super-clunky empty the warrens)
Krenko, Mob Boss (clunky empty the warrens)
Goblinslide... technically, if you play a lot of rituals (makes them replace themselves)
Infernal Plunge... not really (replaces the creature, does not replace itself, +2 mana)

So like, for me the clear winner is Mogg War Marshal, and I like Kuldotha Rebirth even though it's conditional. More Empty the Warrens is good because even Storm 1 is card-positive mana-neutral and Storm 2 is highly positive for both. After a playset of empty if I needed more I'd try would be Hordeling Outburst. And so on.

And in my supporting cards I'm looking for synergy with these cards. So like, Goblin Bushwhacker replaces itself if it's cast without kicker and can win the game with kicker, that's good. 1cc goblins > 2cc goblins.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Infernal Plunge is good, Goblin Grenade is good. Sometimes you just win with a huge Empty the Warrens after emptying your hand!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Infernal Plunge is probably the best ritual to run in the deck if you’re running any at all

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I think some amount of rituals is good if you're all-in. There are times where I was chaining together the 2 mana token spells but Hordeling Outburst & Empty the Warrens would get stuck in my hand because I couldn't find Mogg War Marshal to gain mana. Rituals let me win a game with a 1 land hand by going t1 Bushwhacker -> t2 Plunge Ritual Skirk Mogg Manamorphose land Empty Empty for 23 tokens

The Dirty Kitty deck looks cool, but seems like a different beast (and I can't really say much about tuning it).

e: In the above scenario I used Desperate Ritual because I have a few on MTGO and just 1 Plunge, but Plunge would have substituted fine by playing Mogg first

myDad fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 20, 2018

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Teferi and Seal Away are loving gas in Bant Approach.

God bless XMage

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Info on the NZ Arena code test in the Dominaria packs
https://magic.wizards.com/en/coderedemption

:siren:

quote:

Q: Is this test a preview of what players should expect for the full launch of code redemption?

Not necessarily. These rewards are our first test integrating codes into product and will likely be changed or tweaked in the future. This first implementation is intended to test the redemption process. As with any test, players should expect if and when we do this again that it will look different in some or all ways based on what we learn from the test.
:siren:

Tainen fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 20, 2018

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

quote:

Q: What do the codes give players?

The codes will provide players with one of two in-game items at the following drop rates:

10%: One (1) Dominaria booster pack - Mythic rareDominaria card drop rate 1:8

90%: One (1) Dominaria card (below) and 100 gold - Equal drop rate

Benalish Honor Guard

Syncopate

Drudge Sentinels

Ghitu Journeymage

Llanowar Elves

This is bullshit

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Cactrot posted:

This is bullshit

I guess I should've added sirens to the one piece from the page that I quoted...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Cactrot posted:

This is bullshit

It is certainly way too conservative. Not shocked considering WOTC has garbo leadership.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Why the gently caress is wizards so stingy with their online products? It's honestly baffling.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Matsuri posted:

Why the gently caress is wizards so stingy with their online products? It's honestly baffling.

They're afraid of accidentally cannibalizing their paper market.

I think it is idiotic, but outside of just plain incompetence, it is the best idea I have.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Madmarker posted:

They're afraid of accidentally cannibalizing their paper market.

I think it is idiotic, but outside of just plain incompetence, it is the best idea I have.

This is the only explanation. Like do they not look at loving Pokemon CCG? It's doing drat well for having redeemable packs and also their awesome promo sealed products.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
You missed another gem in the faq:

quote:

Q: How many codes can a player redeem?

MTG Arena accounts will only be able to redeem up to ten (10) of these codes. Attempts to redeem more than that will be rejected by the system.

Assuming you can't tell what the item is before redeeming, you get on average one booster pack, 9 cards, 900gold, and then you are done redeeming,.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Lmao, buy $50 of real-world packs to get not quite two packs in-game.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
loving called it. Also there's gonna be more wipes so it doesn't matter. Lol at anyone who had different expectations.

E: also it's just an experiment so it doesn't mean anything.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Did nobody read the part where they said this was intended as a test of the code redemption system and nothing more

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Hopefully the collective screams of everyone will make them change it, since it's still beta and they have actual time to change it instead of loving us down the line.

What am I saying, ofcourse they're gonna sodomize us hard down the line.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also no joke, I'm pretty sure the mtgo economy is actually better than arena for someone who wants to play fun decks with only a small amount of money spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I know we like to be angry about things but being upset about a test that only a few thousand people in the world get to take part in for items that they clearly state are not indicative of the final product seems like a bit much.