Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man they are still using a bit too many stupid names for what appears to be every single unit. Like I can't even see the slightest reason for them to replace Bioelectric with Biovoltaic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also a shortstory.

https://malignportents.com/story/that-which-is-lost/

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Someone on FB compiled all the hints they could from the twitch stream for Idoneth:

quote:

Command trait unstopable fury: +2 attacks to one melee weapon in fight phase during high tide (battle round 3)

Ishalan Guard 14" move

King has option to use Falcon which he can use instead of his normal weapons (normal weapons give +1 to armor save). Basicly sounds like he can chose between being killy or tanky.
Falcon For king: 3 attacks 3+/4+/-/1
(great sword) weapon for King: 6 attacks (i think this is with the command trait) 3+/3+/ -1/ D3
King allows eels as battline
Command ability increase a units attacks by 1.

Leviathan Increase armor save.

One enclave: Reroll 1s depending on the turn, turn 2 reroll 1s to hit, Turn 3 Eels reroll 1s to wounds

Aspect of the sea (wizard): 15" shooting d3 attacks 3+/3+/-2/2
Side Trident 3 attacks 3+/3+/-2/2
scepter (multiple attacks, number not stated) 3+/3+/-1/1
Storm shale (cloak): 2d6 attacks 4+/4+/-/1
Dormant energies: IF he doesn't cast or dispel a spell this turn Heal d3 wounds.
wounds:12 3+ save
tsunami of terror: casting value 7: d6 enemy units within 12" -1 to hit rolls and bravery.
Sea mist: pick any unit within 12" if deepkin heal d3 wounds. Enemy unit do d3 mortal wounds

Idoneth spell:
Vorpal malestorm: cast 6: a point in 18" roll for each unit within 3" of that point, if less than the number of models in that unit it takes d3 mortal wounds.
Arcane Corrosion: Cast on a 6, measure to closest enemy unit. Depending on how far the enemy is they take a number of mortal wounds: 0-12 unit takes 1 mortal wound,12-24 2 mortal wounds, 24-36 3 mortal wounds, 36-48 4 moretal wounds.

artifact: arcane cawl: 5+ mortal wound save.

Tidecaster:
Riptide: until next hero phase -1 to hit rolls (to what or where??? they didn't say).
Special ruile as general: (not stated, apparently it's good)

Soul scryer:
Combat teleportation
Missle attack 18" 8 shots 5+/5+/-(?)/1(?)
melee attacks 3 3+/4+/-/1
Finder of the ways: instead of setting up on the battle field set them up in the ethersea. the soul soul scryer and up 2 two deepkin units can be set up off the table. Can be brought on 9" from an enemy and within range of a table edge (range of edge not noted).
Seeker of souls: In the charge phase picks an enemy units within 24" all deepkin add 3" to thier charge rolls. (Wtf <.< spooky...)
Has access to rituals:

Riturals: Tide casters or soul scryers:
roll 2d6 and on a 10+ you get to have the ritual effect. Priest add 1 to the roll, Near ship wreck add 1, if range of another hero add 1.
Rituals are:
1. Enemy doesn't get cover save
2. Heal 1 edolen wounds (all of your edolens??), reroll failed hit, and casting rolls.
3. Stop enemies flying

Gloom Tide Shipwreck:
Can put down at the start of the battle:
"at the start of the battle you can set up two ether tide vortexs" Basicly you can set up 2 full boats, or 2 half boats, or a full boat and a half boat.
Idoneth wholely within 6" get a 6+ save against all wounds.
Ether sea: any enemy unit within 3" on a 4+ takes 1 on a 6 take d3 mortal wounds.

Thralls (taken in this guys list as killy unit):
Profile not listed can be found on community site:
Sweeping blows: unit has a wound charateristic of 1, att 1 to the attack characteristic. IF they have wound characteristic of 4 or more add 1 to damage.
Max unit size 30(???)

Reavers:
Two shooting options: (don't know if different weapons, or two options for the same weapon)
18" 1 attack 4+/4+/-(?)/1(?)
9" 3 attacks 4+/4+/-(?)/1 (?)
Reavers reroll runs

Ishlan Guard: (defensive guard version)
Sword/shields
3 attacks 3+/3+/-/1
Eels: Fanged maw 1 attack 3+/3+/(?)/D3
Tail d3 attacks 3+/3+/-/1
14" move, 4+ save, 4 wounds, fly
Shield on community site, Ignore rend, 3+ save of charge.

Leviathan (turtle dude, i know it's not spelled that way, but spare me);
16 wounds, 3+ save, 12" move
2 harpoons:24" 3 attacks 3+/3+/-(?)/1(?)
Crushing claws: 1 attack 2+/2+/-2/d6
Any hit rolls of a 6 for the claws, does 6 mortal wounds.
Scythed fins: 4 attacks 3+/3+/-1/3
Spears of guys on top (don't know how many: 3+/3+/-/2
Void Dome(?): Any idoneth deepkin unit are treated as in cover wholly within 12" of the leviathan

I didn't watch the game after. So there could be more info there. Also didn't transcribe the lore stuff, but it's awesome.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Next preview: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/04/12/who-are-the-isharanngw-homepage-post-1/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Skaven this time.

https://malignportents.com/story/the-great-gnaw/

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Is there supposed to be another Generals Handbook this year? I want to start getting in to playing AoS this summer and was hoping for a rules update to patch some of the problems I have with it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Is there supposed to be another Generals Handbook this year? I want to start getting in to playing AoS this summer and was hoping for a rules update to patch some of the problems I have with it.

There should be one every year in the fall some time.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

“Loudsqueaker” is a thing of beauty.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

S.J. posted:

There should be one every year in the fall some time.

Chapter Approved and Generals Handbook every year confirmed by GW last year.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Tardigrade posted:

“Loudsqueaker” is a thing of beauty.

"Gnawhole" is a thing of nightmares

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Thanquol is still around?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pendent posted:

Yeah most of the Skaven survived the End Times. I think the only Skaven character confirmed to die was Queek. Because of them living between reality and because of their gods blessing I assume Seers like Thanquol can live a long time.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah most of the Skaven survived the End Times. I think the only Skaven character confirmed to die was Queek. Because of them living between reality and because of their gods blessing I assume Seers like Thanquol can live a long time.

That’s pretty cool. They had some fun characters

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Some Warscrolls for upcoming Deepkin stuff from New Zealand.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_Namarti_Thralls.pdf
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_Lotann.pdf
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_Eidolon_of_Mathlann_Sea.pdf
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_Eidolon_of_Mathlann_Storm.pdf
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_Gloomtide_Shipwreck.pdf

The Thralls seems like really good basic units.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 14, 2018

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Pendent posted:

yea he posts a lot in the painting thread

:twisted:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

The Thralls attack modifiers are neat. I'm wondering how they'd perform against Ogres and stuff but they look like a decent anti-horde unit.

For gently caress's sake they still insist on representing every single different weapon a model has in the unit rules. Just give the octopus 8 4+/4+ attacks, nobody gives a gently caress. It makes attacking with a unit take forever and the differences between the weapons are so tiny it's meaningless. Looking at the Liberator warscroll gives me a conniption for the same reason.

Lotann looks like you just sit him in a blob of Namarti and watch them absolutely murder everything. Sniping him with ranged units isn't going to happen so you'd have to dedicate a melee unit to killing him. Drop something on his head.

The Ediolons look like big beatsticks. The Sea aspect seems way more useful with the healing and the bravery debuff. If I had to guess, we're going to see this guy, Lotann and like a billion Namarti thralls do work.

Scenery rules are cool I guess, I've never used any.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

The Deleter posted:

For gently caress's sake they still insist on representing every single different weapon a model has in the unit rules. Just give the octopus 8 4+/4+ attacks, nobody gives a gently caress. It makes attacking with a unit take forever and the differences between the weapons are so tiny it's meaningless. Looking at the Liberator warscroll gives me a conniption for the same reason.

I agree lol, it's nuts that so many models have two weapons, beaks, etcetc

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Deleter posted:

The Thralls attack modifiers are neat. I'm wondering how they'd perform against Ogres and stuff but they look like a decent anti-horde unit.

Ogres and stuff seem to be the best anti Thrall units. So long as they are not too strong as Thralls get bonus damage against units that have 4 or more wounds, while getting bonus attacks against 1 wounds units. So pretty much 2 to 3 wound units are their weakness that they don't get bonuses against.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Sooooo, 40 Blood Warriors?!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

muggins posted:

I agree lol, it's nuts that so many models have two weapons, beaks, etcetc

gently caress it I'm going to expound on this because I have way too much time on my hands.

So Liberators have their weapon options divided up by sword and hammer. Their odds are 4+/3+ for the hammers and 3+/4+ for the swords. This obviously works out the same odds. With Lay Low the Tyrants, you have 3+/3+ for the hammers and 2+/4+ for the swords, which is marginally better odds for the swords by like a whole 4%. You can throw on a Lord-Celestant's command ability or a successful cast of Divine Light to add another +1 to hit, which will do nothing for the swords but leave Hammers at 2+/3+ - a huge jump from the swords. So at the most basic level of optimisation hammers are better. You can apply the same logic to the Grand Weapons as well.

However, I'm talking in terms of numbers that are, like, tiny, That huge jump I mentioned is 10%. That's an extra attack at most. All that wankshit nerdery is to highlight that the swords don't have any other bonuses. No extra damage, no extra rend, nothing. They exist because they put swords on the sprue. You could easily condense the weapons to a 4+/3+/0/1d hand weapon and 4+/3+/-1/2 great weapon, and your only choice would be the hit rerolls from double weapons or the save rerolls from shields.

It's the same for so much else. The profiles of the Lord-Celestant's weapons are the same way, except the runeblade has a point of rend and his hammer doesn't, because apparently we need the option to not have rend. A Stonehorn has a confusing array of extra attacks from its horns and hooves, and two different attacks from the Frostlord on top, that amount to a bunch of 3+/3+ bullshit. Saurus warriors have a single extra attack that is worse in every way for no reason. The octopus's cudgel and blade almost have the same problem as the Liberators.

It's not just that there's too many weapon profiles that differ slightly, resulting in people making multiple rolls and slowing the game down. Its also that most of the redundant ones are poo poo.

dexefiend posted:

Sooooo, 40 Blood Warriors?!

As someone who's seen your quest of insanity in the Keep Painting thread, god speed. :patriot:

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ogres and stuff seem to be the best anti Thrall units. So long as they are not too strong as Thralls get bonus damage against units that have 4 or more wounds, while getting bonus attacks against 1 wounds units. So pretty much 2 to 3 wound units are their weakness that they don't get bonuses against.

Flesheaters are basically stuffed since they don't have any troops with 2-3 wounds and Thralls basically steal their gimmick and do it better, but FEC are a a pre-Matched Play army so that's nothing new

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

The Deleter posted:

Saurus warriors have a single extra attack that is worse in every way for no reason.

I play skirmish with my five year old and I basically hand wave away his saurus warrior bite attacks as an extra hit. Every time I asked him to roll an extra dice for that he'd stare blankly at me

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Dude down at the shop today had one of the best looking freeguild armies I’ve ever seen. Had to set some shots to share.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I love the chunky highlights on those, that's awesome.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

Dude down at the shop today had one of the best looking freeguild armies I’ve ever seen. Had to set some shots to share.

holy poo poo thats a $texas of brazangas besiegers! dogs of war are the coolest squatted faction no one remembers

thats also a fantastic looking army btw

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I’ll try and get better pictures the next time I run into him. The entire army was awesome.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did he previously run those as Empire then re-base them? He's got an awesome mix of models there.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think so, yeah. He said the gold armor crossbowmen were the old dogs of war models. Some of the models are metal.

He mentioned he has an old Bretonnia Army as well.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
yea these are the pavise xbow dudes

there are some listings on ebay for them right now, roughly 170 bucks for 9, so slightly less than current gw model pricing

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I also noticed his Empire State Troops were the pre-8th or 7th or whenever-they-last-updated-them ones.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another preview for the Deepkin.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/04/15/raiders-kings-and-legends-next-weeks-pre-orders/

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I didn’t realize this until during assembly, but the Great Unclean One’s weapon options are easily magnetized. The entire weapon and arm for each option is included with no shared usage of parts.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Deepkin Lore

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/04/16/idoneth-deepkin-writer-insights-the-lore-apr-16gw-homepage-post-2/

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Painting progress cross post

dexefiend posted:

Up to 10 Bloodblooders!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Full rules leak for Idoneth. They look amazing:

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2896

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TKIY posted:

Full rules leak for Idoneth. They look amazing:

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2896

I am almost unbelievably excited about Fish Elves

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

dexefiend posted:

Painting progress cross post

some nice lookin sweaty bois you got there. now only ~190 to go right?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The only GW products I've bought up to this point are a box of Skaven at a garage sale for 2 dollars when I was 6 and some crackle paint, but I'm really into the Wet Elves for some reason so I tentatively ordered a few.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Same. Why the gently caress am I buying into aos though, gently caress you GW :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Resisted the urge so far. Only AoS related stuff I have is Shadespire. Might pick up the 17.50 ruin set though as they are nice generic ruins.

When they bring out skeleton pirates or a squig army I may crumble though.

• Locked thread