Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
How do you even play Morrowind on a phone? That sounds terrible and amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lmao OpenMW works on Android phones with touchscreen controls now. That sounds awful but also what a world

Huh, I thought that they explicitly told Bethesda they didn’t plan to do that.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
They could do it without any problems just as long as they didn't promote it.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

raminasi posted:

Huh, I thought that they explicitly told Bethesda they didn’t plan to do that.

afaik it's some guy on the openmw forums and not the team themselves

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Apparently it doesn't play half bad, people are saying the frame rates aren't that bad and there's one guy who says he's getting 50fps with mods installed even.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Peoples gonna be playin Morrowind on their watches ya'll

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Peoples gonna be playin Morrowind on their watches ya'll

We have achieved with Morrowind what Todd Howard could not with 50 re-releases of Skyrim

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

game's still a looker; who needs mge? openmw having a nice water shader in lieu of shadows does help to dull the pain :smith:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Is openmw now the best option if you just want to play vanilla style without much fluff?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The only problem I noticed with OpenMW is that it seems to accellerate the "Slowly shifting into the wall/off a cliff" NPC problem. The Balmora silt strier npc disappeared after only a few hours for me. Just keep typing RA into the console every so often I guess.

CADR
Aug 11, 2017

Agents are GO! posted:

The only problem I noticed with OpenMW is that it seems to accellerate the "Slowly shifting into the wall/off a cliff" NPC problem. The Balmora silt strier npc disappeared after only a few hours for me. Just keep typing RA into the console every so often I guess.

There were some edited animation files out there that fixed this bug. Don't remember what they were called, but if you can find them they sure beat having to type RA again and again.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Is openmw now the best option if you just want to play vanilla style without much fluff?

mostly. it's perfectly playable the whole way through; the main issues I've really noticed have been with npcs/pathfinding. the original game's pathfinding is pretty bad but it works mostly - since openmw isn't exactly replicating the way the original game does pathfinding at this point it gets a bit hosed. there's a fair bit of enemies failing to find a path to you and subsequently running back and forth. not game-breaking but it's a little weird looking. they also sometimes can't open doors that it looks like they should. overall I'm very pleased with it tbf - means I can play morrowind on a mac without loving about with wine and hasn't crashed once in the 20 something hours I must have put into this playthrough

Agents are GO! posted:

only really noticed this in the sadrith mora mages guild where all the npcs are ever so slightly off from where they started

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 22, 2018

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Just find one of the nightly builds https://openmw.org/2018/solution-ai-problems/

That video is nuts, perfect pathfinding better than vanilla, no loving pathgrids needed

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Now that I've had my fun dicking around Vvardenfell, someone tell me what class I should roll for my "let's actually finish the main quest" dunmer playthrough.

In my head a female dunmer is the only nerevarine.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Just find one of the nightly builds https://openmw.org/2018/solution-ai-problems/

That video is nuts, perfect pathfinding better than vanilla, no loving pathgrids needed

yeah I posted this earlier in the thread; need to try it out. apparently it has quite a noticeable impact on performance?

do the nightly builds have the WIP shadows/distant land implementation as well? would kind of like to gently caress about with that. honestly a testament to the game relative to oblivion/skyrim that I've managed to almost complete the main quest without turning the thing into a complete modded frankenstein

simmering
Nov 12, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Now that I've had my fun dicking around Vvardenfell, someone tell me what class I should roll for my "let's actually finish the main quest" dunmer playthrough.

In my head a female dunmer is the only nerevarine.

Battlemage and join the temple imo

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
As always, my advice is to make a custom skooma addict class

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Junk Merchant. Grab every worthless piece of garbage you can find and sell it and corner the Vvardenfell market.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

become the morrowind version of diogenes of sinope

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

theyve gamified morrowind modding for this years may modathon

https://www.reddit.com/r/Morrowind/comments/8eujz9/morrowind_may_modathon_month_2018_celebrating_16/

expect some wacky stuff over the next month lol

highlights from last year:
a lot of great dungeons and models
immersive madness questline (winner, most deservedly so)
randomizer (my own mod that no one uses but that i'm proud of)

expected this year:
a lot more mods
a TR release
a project tamriel release

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiUmOZqjVUw

:stonk:

pulsating corprus meat

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
:stonk:

Well, I know what I'm adding next playthrough.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the new mwse is really really good, did I mention you can now make morrowind mods in lua

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45608
configurable save system

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45624
potion nerf mod
Vanilla NPC: The default module. Like vanilla NPCs, the player can drink a new potion only once every 5 seconds. Attempting to drink a potion before 5 secondshave passed will show a message and prevent drinking.
Oblivion Style: This module attempts to replicate the behavior of Oblivion's consumption restrictions. The player is allowed to have up to 4 active potions, with the longest effect duration on the potion used for the cooldown calculation.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Sometimes I'm confused why I play other video games.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

anyone know why Morrowind keeps resetting my controls and resolution?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Whorelord posted:

Run as admin?

Or alternatively your ini file is broken, which is actually fairly annoying to fix. Get a second install of the game by moving it somewhere else (presuming steam), replace the morrowind.ini file with the one from the fresh install, move game back, reactivate mods and reconfigure settings.

e: VVVVV
or that

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 7, 2018

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Whorelord posted:

Your Morrowind.ini might be set to read-only

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

the new mwse is really really good, did I mention you can now make morrowind mods in lua

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45608
configurable save system

I saw this one a few days ago. Interface looked pretty convoluted at first glance, but on a closer look it doesn't seem too bad.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Can't remember if this was posted here or elsewhere, but someone spent years using pathfinding algorithms to create a speedrun to finish as many faction questlines as possible.

They finally finished and released the run a couple days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHM-pJaIf50

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Can't remember if this was posted here or elsewhere, but someone spent years using pathfinding algorithms to create a speedrun to finish as many faction questlines as possible.

They finally finished and released the run a couple days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHM-pJaIf50

technology rules

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm reinstalling Morrowind

-Why should I use OpenMW and why shouldn't I use it (mods?)

-Can I play through tamriel rebuilt areas as a low level character for a fresh play through feeling

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

This latest reinstall has been the longest playthrough I've ever attempted. I ended up getting super distracted from the main storyline and now I'm the Telvanni and Mages guild heads (which in retrospect shouldn't be possible but hey gently caress you I'm a wizard.) I COULD go back to the story now but I might gently caress off to Solstheim, because I've never done the expansions.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Glagha posted:

This latest reinstall has been the longest playthrough I've ever attempted. I ended up getting super distracted from the main storyline and now I'm the Telvanni and Mages guild heads (which in retrospect shouldn't be possible but hey gently caress you I'm a wizard.) I COULD go back to the story now but I might gently caress off to Solstheim, because I've never done the expansions.

A word of warning since it seems you're playing a mage character: there are some enemies in the expansions with high levels of magic reflection, and even 100% in some notable cases.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Thanks for the heads up. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine, I haven't neglected weapon skills entirely so I should be able to stab a motherfucker if I need to. I've already been hitting magic problems with like, Golden Saints and such the couple of times I've encountered one. Speaking of weapons and armor, I don't entirely get how bound gear works. I've been leaning on it pretty heavily but as I understand it bound stuff ignores your actual skills or something and pretends your skill is some static number or something? So should I be working on getting some new, permanent gear? (Also as I understand it, Unarmored doesn't scale as well as light or heavy, and medium sucks?)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Glagha posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine, I haven't neglected weapon skills entirely so I should be able to stab a motherfucker if I need to. I've already been hitting magic problems with like, Golden Saints and such the couple of times I've encountered one. Speaking of weapons and armor, I don't entirely get how bound gear works. I've been leaning on it pretty heavily but as I understand it bound stuff ignores your actual skills or something and pretends your skill is some static number or something? So should I be working on getting some new, permanent gear? (Also as I understand it, Unarmored doesn't scale as well as light or heavy, and medium sucks?)

Yeah pretty much. Pick an armor type and go with it, you're only limited by your encumbrance, so if you have low strength maybe go light.

Medium is realistically only useful for roleplaying purposes

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Medium is realistically only useful for roleplaying purposes
It's called Fashion Souls these days and I will never give it up. Also, the Ebony Mail is my favorite piece of gear, because it puts sparkles constantly in your field of vision.

Glagha posted:

Speaking of weapons and armor, I don't entirely get how bound gear works. I've been leaning on it pretty heavily but as I understand it bound stuff ignores your actual skills or something and pretends your skill is some static number or something? So should I be working on getting some new, permanent gear? (Also as I understand it, Unarmored doesn't scale as well as light or heavy, and medium sucks?)
Bound Armor, I'm pretty sure, just isn't of any particular type (light/medium/heavy), so it gives you a flat armor number no matter your other skills. It's also weightless, and I think you get Unarmored experience for getting hit while wearing it. Unarmored sort of theoretically scales really well, and if you use Fortify Skill spells/enchantment you can get armor levels comparable to top-tier armor sets without any weight, but since Morrowind doesn't have a restriction on wearing armor with clothes, there's really no point except the aforementioned Fashion. Top-tier Light and Heavy armor are relatively easy to find, I think? Medium's gated behind expac content, quests, and/or taunting a capital city guard. I can give specifics if you'd like specifics.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bound armor (the full set anyways) gives you a fixed 65 defense and doesn't cover the whole body, but is weightless. Bound weapons are as strong as daedric, weightless, fortify the relevant skill, and are dirt cheap to cast. They're pretty rediculous.

The Dark Brotherhood armor makes everything belows this irrelevant, if you get a set at level one you won't take it off until you find glass, but you should probably mod out the early DB attacks.

Medium is the most useful armor for most of the game. Light (DB armor aside) comes in rear end, and glass, and by the time you can get glass you can afford a trainer to boost your light armor skill to something worthwhile. Heavy armor either doesn't provide more defense than medium (everything below dwemer) or weighs too much to ever be relevant (ebony, daedric). Given that orcish shits on dwemer, there's very little reason to go heavy. Again, DB armor aside, the options added by the expansions don't really change this.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Should I use OpenMW if I want a heavily modded playthrough? Is it just better than the original?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Vavrek posted:

It's called Fashion Souls these days and I will never give it up.

I believe you mean Fashion Scrolls, yes? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Should I use OpenMW if I want a heavily modded playthrough? Is it just better than the original?

Use OG Morrrowind if youre gonna do heavy modding. OpenMW isnt quite there yet (but its close!)