Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Day two. I scraped the dress and started over three times. Still not happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Keret posted:

Hey art goons, I started drawing again after a pretty long art drought, so I decided to try out a portrait to get the gears turning again. This is graphite and CarbOthello black pastel, on ye olde printer paper. I'm pretty sure I hosed up the eye placement, but aside from that, any thoughts/suggestions?

Also, trying to get a cell phone picture to reflect the value range of the actual page is a huge pain in the rear end.

04.19.2018 | Graphite + CarbOthello Pastel on Printer Paper by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

I think the placement of the eyes is ok in terms of height, but they are just a little too small and a little too far apart.

Apart from that, I would just say to lighten the front part of the hat a bit, so the form has the same lighting/shadow pattern as the face. Especially given that the shadow on his left side is really interesting.

Fake Edit: I mean like actually interesting and well done, not like "hmmm...interesting" in a bad way.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Just a quickish drawing of some random thing I sketched during class.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Neon Noodle posted:

If the proportional division of the head is wrong, everything within those divisions will be wrong.

I agree.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
More rocks, I think I"m already getting the hang of things better, as far as the planes of the rocks go.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Bright white might be too strong, should try an off-white to match that sketchbook feel

Sharpest Crayon posted:

gently caress yesss now gimme some pink on that tongue

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/987393439842164736

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

:pusheen:

..what is he training the cat to do? It's way too fat to hover.

I was trying to do like a wraith-vampire character concept artz but didn't quite get it where I wanted it.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I was trying to do like a wraith-vampire character concept artz but didn't quite get it where I wanted it.

Feels too elf-like, and not really vampirey at all. I'd say fangs are the obvious-low-hanging-fruit solution here, but I also think that experimenting with different poses and emotional expressions could help too. Even just enlarging the mouth bit a bit to give prominent bulges/protuberences where the fangs should be would help drive home that it's a vampire.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Vinegar Tom. Tom was a witch's familiar, described, “like a long-legg'd greyhound, with the head of an oxe.” This was the description the woman gave after being deprived of sleep for four days.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sketchy ape in a biker outfit.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
what day is it ha ha

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
Bargue plates seem to be helping with accuracy.

Thanks to whoever it was that mentioned J.C. Leyendecker. I borrowed a huge book of his prints from the library and I want to draw them all.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/987794733836701697

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

this is another one i'm doing for trade

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

MTV Crib Death posted:

Bargue plates seem to be helping with accuracy.

Thanks to whoever it was that mentioned J.C. Leyendecker. I borrowed a huge book of his prints from the library and I want to draw them all.

What up, "Taking Ryan Nimtz' Portrait Class" buddy.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 22, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

this is another one i'm doing for trade

I realize we're probably in hologram territory here, but I instantly read that as glitch ghost and :stonk: that's terrifying

dog nougat posted:

Feels too elf-like, and not really vampirey at all. I'd say fangs are the obvious-low-hanging-fruit solution here, but I also think that experimenting with different poses and emotional expressions could help too. Even just enlarging the mouth bit a bit to give prominent bulges/protuberences where the fangs should be would help drive home that it's a vampire.

Excuse me, elves can be turned too, which is exactly what happened here. :colbert:
Ugh, but on everything else you're absolutely right, essentially teeth are the whole gist of vampires. I didn't have a clear direction when making this. I planned to make the teeth visible behind the lips, sorta make some of the muscles and skin translucent, like someone caught in between the transformation from a corporeal body to an etheric being. Like ghosts come from corpses right? Right! I got lost in the making though, skin didn't work out and I was pissed off about it and gave him half a shirt, which ALSO did not work. HAHAHA my entire thought process during this was a shitshow of frustration.

Moving on, I still like the idea of a transformation between solid corpse and fancy ghost and I just need to find the right balance.

I do not want to ditch the fine lips, because I still want him to read "was obvs a pretty boi before all that poo poo happened" but I did make the fangs obvious under them.
Now I think I went too far into ghost territory, but I'm happy with the attractiveness/monsterness ratio of the face.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I realize we're probably in hologram territory here, but I instantly read that as glitch ghost and :stonk: that's terrifying

i mean, who's to say it isn't both :shrug:

(thanx for the advice on the animation earlier, btw, i realized i forgot to thank you for that but it was very helpful)

oh and

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

JoshTheStampede posted:

What up, "Taking Ryan Nimtz' Portrait Class" buddy.

I don't know who that is but I understand why he would use this photo reference. She's stunning.

edit:

wake and draw baby

MTV Crib Death fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 22, 2018

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
That is a compelling likeness of Weird Al

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

Neon Noodle posted:

That is a compelling likeness of Weird Al

Hooray! I think this is literally the first time someone has recognized the model I used.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

MTV Crib Death posted:

I don't know who that is but I understand why he would use this photo reference. She's stunning.

Oh, heh. He's a Udemy instructor and his portrait class uses that exact photo for the black & white study.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
old man in hat

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

This my friend is the Zybourne Clock

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

smallmouth posted:

Day two. I scraped the dress and started over three times. Still not happy.

Something in the shading or the way the dress should fall on her belly doesn't catch that she's lying with her legs up on the chair, for me. It looks like an optical illusion, like she's floating with a chair in the background.

Keret posted:

Hey art goons, I started drawing again after a pretty long art drought, so I decided to try out a portrait to get the gears turning again. This is graphite and CarbOthello black pastel, on ye olde printer paper. I'm pretty sure I hosed up the eye placement, but aside from that, any thoughts/suggestions?

Also, trying to get a cell phone picture to reflect the value range of the actual page is a huge pain in the rear end.

04.19.2018 | Graphite + CarbOthello Pastel on Printer Paper by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr
First things that come to mind. The wrinkles in the forehead and cheek are way too dark, looks like cracks in a clay vase. Not enough texture in the hair. The jawline and chin seem too smooth of a curve, too gradual a transition to me. The shadow line on the forehead seems too abrupt. I would think there should be more shadow on the bottom of the nose to give it depth.

--------
OK here are some drawings I made. Same old same old.

Is there an ethical issue with dating a nude model from a small public figure drawing workshop? E.g. if you're innocently taking the same route home and you strike up a conversation with the model after the session that has nothing to do with their naked body you just saw, just chatting, and it turns into something more? Or if the model comes back next week as an artist to practice drawing, and you sit next to each other and talk and decide to hang out later? What if you are one of the people who helps organize the life drawing workshop? Maybe there are other threads more devoted to romance/ethics but I figure this is the thread where people are most familiar with the tone and social context of a figure drawing workshop.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Holy poo poo this rules, I love it!!

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/988180994749620226

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Radio du Cambodge posted:

Something in the shading or the way the dress should fall on her belly doesn't catch that she's lying with her legs up on the chair, for me. It looks like an optical illusion, like she's floating with a chair in the background.

Thanks for the input. I need to take another look at it this week.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

GenJoe posted:

old man in hat

Usually people do too much detail on a face, which makes the subject look older when you render too many wrinkles that normally people don't see when they look at a face. You've gone the exact opposite, judging from the way the skin hangs, you've made this fella look younger than he is by softening all the shadows on the skin. I think that it would look great if you gave some of the darkest shadows a well defined hard edge to give the piece more .. I'm lacking a word here, posture? Structure? Someone help me here. What's it called when you stop hunching over and neaten up? Anyway, you've got the proportions right, there's nothing that stands out looking wrong on the face. Old people are so interesting to draw.

Radio du Cambodge posted:

Is there an ethical issue with dating a nude model from a small public figure drawing workshop? E.g. if you're innocently taking the same route home and you strike up a conversation with the model after the session that has nothing to do with their naked body you just saw, just chatting, and it turns into something more? Or if the model comes back next week as an artist to practice drawing, and you sit next to each other and talk and decide to hang out later? What if you are one of the people who helps organize the life drawing workshop? Maybe there are other threads more devoted to romance/ethics but I figure this is the thread where people are most familiar with the tone and social context of a figure drawing workshop.

You could try E/N? I mean yeah people here might know the social context better, but the advice might be better there generally.
If anyone wants to chime in here with their incredible dating insight, go ahead though nothing stopping ya.

Sketching.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

The mexican presidential candidates as monsters. I want to be an editorial cartoonist when I grow up.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

This my friend is the Zybourne Clock

I think you may have missed some commas. In any case, I have no idea what you are talking about.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 23, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Did another crayon drawing because I felt like it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

been really happy with my output this weekend

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Pentaro posted:

The mexican presidential candidates as monsters. I want to be an editorial cartoonist when I grow up.

I enjoy these and this is some solid work.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I'm still not back in my rhythm it seems, but at least I'm still trying to draw daily.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/988540336346730496

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

I do not know anything about mexican presidential candidates, but this dude seems like he's so goddamn lame he wouldn't even make a good monster. Like he's got all the charisma of a wet sponge and none of the good looks. I expect that at any moment he's gonna politely and weakly ask everyone to be nice and pay taxes to fix the economy.
If I got any of that right, good job bringing that out.

sigma 6 posted:

I think you may have missed some commas. In any case, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Zybourne Clock was a goon group project to create The Best Game Ever. They made it two weeks. It was steampunk. There's a SAclopedia entry and everything.
I'm sorry for this but thought I'd point it out:

I flipped and rotated the pic so the head's straight so it's easier to see. When you can't flip a pic 'cause you're not working on a computer, lift it to a light and look through the backside to spot if anything's going wonky. I personally tilt my head to match the head tilt of a character I'm drawing if it's on a computer, or shift the paper if drawing analog so the head's straight-on because tilting facial features is hell on earth.

I felt like drawing a fat birb.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I drew some not hotdogs today!

Radial-mouthed tentacle alien eating cheeseburgers. I'll call it Burgerpuss.

Cannibalistic Cheeseburger raiding the burger nest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/988845278710071297