Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

George Lucas posted:

Smuggling was really the result of the Empire, which has such stringent rules about tariffs, and the trade companies, which are so strong, so monopolistic. Most legitimate operators were squeezed out of the business. So Han could be described as a smuggler, but in reality he’s a free-enterprise small businessman who is trading between systems without benefit of a proper license from the trade unions.

Is this the closest canon statement we have on Han's class position?

I'm trying to figure out how George Lucas envisions galactic commerce. A strong central government, a few monopolies, and powerful but compliant unions makes the Empire seem like post-war US industry. That would then make Han basically into the type of business owner that fueled libertarian ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

Is this the closest canon statement we have on Han's class position?

I'm trying to figure out how George Lucas envisions galactic commerce. A strong central government, a few monopolies, and powerful but compliant unions makes the Empire seem like post-war US industry. That would then make Han basically into the type of business owner that fueled libertarian ideology.

The evidence seems to suggest that, yeah. Lando pretty much created a state of Jefferson.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lord and Miller should’ve made the Boba Fett movie and had MC Chris do the soundtrack.

Goddamn. It would’ve been hilarious.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Lorde and Millar are CelticPredator's Zack Snyder.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Can't Fett even afford a new paint job for his Vet?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

UmOk posted:

Lorde and Millar are CelticPredator's Zack Snyder.

Pretty much!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Every time those guys get brought up I have to look up what they've made. Two cartoons, one of which is good, an alright comedy and its sequel. I don't see what's so great about them.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

UmOk posted:

Every time those guys get brought up I have to look up what they've made. Two cartoons, one of which is good, an alright comedy and its sequel. I don't see what's so great about them.

Jump Street is regarded as sort of a modern comedy classic, The LEGO Movie went in a different direction from what people expected a toy franchise movie to be, and Clone High might actually be one of the best animated series ever made for adults. More importantly though is that all of them comments on their genre and medium in entertaining ways.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All their films hit a perfect sweet spot for me in regards to comedy and sincerity. The fact that they can make good movies out of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, The Lego Movie and the Jump Street films is something of a feat on its own.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

UmOk posted:

Are you talking poo poo, about Clone High, my dude

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Bleck posted:

Are you talking poo poo, about Clone High, my dude

I am not. Mostly because I have no idea what that is.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

UmOk posted:

I am not. Mostly because I have no idea what that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHvN25QPWGE

edit:
Battlefront 2 added an Ewok vs Stormtrooper mode and it's effectively a horror game if you play as a stormtrooper.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/getting-hunted-by-ewoks-in-star-wars-battlefront-ii-is-1825372193
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EMJEd1fKp0.
The freaking wisties from Caravan of Courage becomes terrifying in this game. Or useful, if you play as an ewok.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 20, 2018

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Uncle Wemus posted:

How come the empire never tried to wipe out the hutt crime syndicate

I kinda figured Jabba in the OT was lying low a bit compared to his glory days - in the Phantom Menace, he's the guest of honor at a major sporting event, but in Return of the Jedi, he's hiding out in a pretty rough-looking palace out in the boondocks. The Empire might not have wiped out the syndicates, but he's under a bit more pressure than he was when Tattoine was independent. He's still big in the underworld, but he's not a de-facto civil leader anymore.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I just always figured, the whole galaxy is so huge, so so so huge, that the empire just probably doesn't give a single gently caress about random mobsters out in the rear end end of the galaxy. Theres probably some spice bootleggers out in bumfuck omega that are also running wild.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Uncle Wemus posted:

How come the empire never tried to wipe out the hutt crime syndicate

Because when Lucas originally envisioned the Empire, they were "America 10 years from now, after gangsters were elevated to power in a rigged election." Jabba's probably just got Palpatine's piss tape frozen in carbonite somewhere.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How could a guy with so many good political ideas fail so badly at getting them into his movies? The only contemporary politics anyone ever read into any of them was the Ewoks being the Vietcong.

Serf
May 5, 2011

business hammocks posted:

How could a guy with so many good political ideas fail so badly at getting them into his movies? The only contemporary politics anyone ever read into any of them was the Ewoks being the Vietcong.

i know this is a big thread, but people have been reading all sorts of politics into the movies for a long time

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Serf posted:

i know this is a big thread, but people have been reading all sorts of politics into the movies for a long time

And to be fair there's a huge amount of willful misunderstanding. There were and still are tons of conservatives who read the Rebellion as the United States, in spite of, well, everything. A huge number of people couldn’t let go of the idea of Jedi as perfect do-gooders, so they understand every example of hypocrisy and snobbish short-sightedness in the prequels as some kind of plot hole or other mistake.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

But the rebels are Americans. They’re all white and pretty and have perfect teeth, and they save the day by reenacting a World-War-II dogfight movie with their space airplanes.

The empire is British nazi uniforms, plus Dracula capes.

Plus, you know there’s that whole thing where American identity is founded on a national myth where a bunch of plucky white rebels defeat a foreign empire.

It’s possible to read the movie the way Lucas intends, but the mixed images on the screen mean that you have to ignore a lot if you want to get there.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Yes, the idea is to make a white western audience sympathize with a group of rebels who hide out in a jungle and face total annihilation from a rain of fire, and this is done by inserting avatars of this audience into the Vietcong roles. The goal is to not cause viewers to reflexively side with or rationalize for the evil Empire, and instead make them imagine being on the opposite side of a conflict where, in real life, “their side” is the bad guys.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
As we all know, the Vietcong were aristocrats who wanted to restore theocracy.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

edit whoops wrong thread

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I really don’t think it undermines the point to have a bratty aristocrat character who becomes a revolutionary and slowly gets over herself. Nor is it a problem to have it eventually revealed that the royal snob and the backwater farmboy are actually equal heirs to the same power, and yet the poor farmboy is the one who's first chosen for the task (because the guardians of the old liberal order think he’d be easier to manipulate) and is actually best for it (because he has the moral grounding to grow beyond his teachers).

Sometimes the trappings of classic mythology, with princesses and knights and inheritances and the like, are workable metaphors for more modern political sensibilities.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zoran posted:

I really don’t think it undermines the point to have a bratty aristocrat character who becomes a revolutionary and slowly gets over herself.

Your reading falls apart at the start. Leia is as revolutionary in A New Hope as she is in The Last Jedi. Your interpreting her contempt for her rescuers as some kind of a classist position. What's really happening is that she's justifiably angry at how badly her rescue attempt is going.

If you pay attention to their actions, the Rebels are people who want to restore Senatorial rule and a theocratic police force. The most insightful characterization given to the Rebels is that they have supporters in something called "the Imperial Senate".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zoran posted:

Yes, the idea is to make a white western audience sympathize with a group of rebels who hide out in a jungle and face total annihilation from a rain of fire, and this is done by inserting avatars of this audience into the Vietcong roles. The goal is to not cause viewers to reflexively side with or rationalize for the evil Empire, and instead make them imagine being on the opposite side of a conflict where, in real life, “their side” is the bad guys.

I just don’t think that works very well in the American context, where guerrilla rebellion and celebration of successful overwhelming violence define the dominant, conservative national character. Like Americans at once believe they are plucky underdogs and that they can and will defeat any military opponent because they’re always right.

I guess this is also the problem with America’s understanding of the actual Vietnam war, though, and that Americans got really mad at anyone suggesting that the vietcong were successors to the spirit of the American Revolution.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

UmOk posted:

Every time this Edgar Wright guy gets brought up I have to look up what they've made. Two parody movies, one of which is about zombies, and a comic book movie. I don't see what's so great about them.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

But the rebels are Americans. They’re all white and pretty and have perfect teeth, and they save the day by reenacting a World-War-II dogfight movie with their space airplanes.

The Rebellion is depicted as pretty diverse by RotJ when the threat of the Empire is appropriately depicted as effecting more than just humans. You got your fishmen and Admiral Trap Meme, Nine Nubs, you got your Manny Bothans, It's Gonna Blow Black Pilot, background female pilot, redubbed and regendered female pilots and Lando Calrissian to round it out.

A far cry from the all white with perfect teeth Rebellion of ANH and ESB.

Rogue One even went and retconned that by filling out their ranks with more than just caucasian pretty boys.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 20, 2018

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I always liked that old grey-haired rebel trooper that gets a close up on the Tantive in Star Wars.

Pablo, let me write his origin story. His name is going to be Louie Itzalt. Decades later, soldiers are still invoking his last name for courage in the face of certain defeat in the trenches of Crait

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

Every time this Edgar Wright guy gets brought up I have to look up what they've made. Two parody movies, one of which is about zombies, and a comic book movie. I don't see what's so great about them.

The Babby Driver guy?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Saw this at the LEGO Store today.

Han’s gonna drive Babby’s First Falcon.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

Edgar Wright far surpasses the guys who did the loving Lego movie. Christ.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah that was the point of his post.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

You ever think about how the cantina was a stabby dive but they had a live band playing in the middle of the day

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

You ever think about how the cantina was a stabby dive but they had a live band playing in the middle of the day

turns out jizz-wailing is star wars' equivalent to loud, noisy punk that only gets play at dives

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
People in Star Wars generally seem desperate for employment and willing to work "below their station" cash, even play in dive bars despite being a pretty big band. From what we see in the prequels of how robot companies own galactic commerce it's easy to infer that the reason people don't want Droids in the Cantina is that they took everyones jobs like their starting to do in the real world and everyones pretty mad about it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ingmar terdman posted:

Believe it or not there were actually two EU short stories which explained exactly why the band was there. (The bandleader is a gambling addict who bet the band's instruments against a fan who wanted them to play exclusively in that bar every single day and cheated him in a card game.)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

Ever been to New Orleans?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Darko posted:

Ever been to New Orleans?

The jizz-wailing mecca of the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
So what are the odds that Solo will feature Chewie pulling the arms off a droid when he loses and similar "it was mentioned before so we should show it occurring exactly" things?