Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Schlesische posted:

I'll believe they're into global streaming after the next round of rights negotiations.
If Fox offers you more than you know you're gonna get in subs for Australia (which is a distinct possibility), you're gonna take that even if it means a lost opportunity to grow your brand here; I mean, hell, F1 has to sell the rights to the AusGP to a free-to-air network here so Fox already has an in by offering to give an FTA network the Aus GP at a super cut rate while giving Fox the remaining races.

Liberty gave ESPN the rights in the US for free. That's how much it wants to launch its streaming service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Honestly WEC is so unknown in the US that it makes me wonder if Velocity are actually paying or if it's like a time-buy or some poo poo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Honestly WEC is so unknown in the US that it makes me wonder if Velocity are actually paying or if it's like a time-buy or some poo poo.

Right but that’s the sort of niche well-served by...a well-priced dedicated app.

Oh :v:

The US is a pretty big market for WEC viewership, from the WEC survey in the off-season it wasn’t that far behind Europe and Asia in interest. Almost a miracle.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Got confirmation in a FB group from a WEC representative. Geoblocked in the US due to exclusivity agreement with Velocity.

God. loving. Dammit.

Time to start getting a refund for the 50 euros I already paid them.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I don't know how :filez: it is, but services like Unlocator may help in instances like these.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I'll likely use a VPN, or just grab a pirate stream off of reddit.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Seems like they could just block anybody with a U.S. credit card from purchasing the live coverage in addition to geoblocking if they really want to be dicks about it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gret posted:

Seems like they could just block anybody with a U.S. credit card from purchasing the live coverage in addition to geoblocking if they really want to be dicks about it.

Usually they don’t, streams and apps are strong enough about location services now to not need that. Even if you have legitimate credentials.

That sucks. The app is a good deal and good coverage, so it’s a shame it’s cut like this for the US.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

U.S. racing fans really get the short end of the stick. Fox tape delayed last week's Formula E race by a whole day, so there was no legal way to watch it live (because the official streams are geoblocked). The IMSA telecasts are chock full of commercial breaks and cutting to pit lane interviews or to other irrelevant videos instead of showing the on-track action, while fans outside of the country get an uninterrupted way to watch the race. And now once again we get screwed with this WEC geoblocking of what was a genuinely fantastic way to watch the races. The only bright spot seems to be the commercial free F1 races on ESPN.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

gret posted:

U.S. racing fans really get the short end of the stick. Fox tape delayed last week's Formula E race by a whole day, so there was no legal way to watch it live (because the official streams are geoblocked). The IMSA telecasts are chock full of commercial breaks and cutting to pit lane interviews or to other irrelevant videos instead of showing the on-track action, while fans outside of the country get an uninterrupted way to watch the race. And now once again we get screwed with this WEC geoblocking of what was a genuinely fantastic way to watch the races. The only bright spot seems to be the commercial free F1 races on ESPN.

You know what you must do, burn down nascar hq

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

orange juche posted:

You know what you must do, burn down nascar hq

Or emigrate to a real country.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
goddamnit

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

gret posted:

Also they stream FIA World rallycross free on youtube but nope its geoblocked for us and we have to choose a $20 a month service that doesn't even bother streaming the qualifying sessions.

gently caress flo racing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gret posted:

U.S. racing fans really get the short end of the stick.

For real. If I lived in the States now, I would be running a VPN for IMSA TV and the WEC App now too during the big races, and would have the cheapest way to get NBCSN and ESPN logins. At least y’all get the Nismo TV YouTube feed of Super GT.

And that ignores the time zone issue. Any Europeans bitching can move to the west coast for a few weeks and see how they like it (the weather and quality of life is wonderful, but the races starting at like 5 am...).

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
In Australia the bulk of any daytime running happens while we are asleep as the race starts at like 10pm. You get some daytime running the following day but once again only if you’re prepared to stay up way late to watch it go down. We do get access to nismo tv streams though so it’s not all bad.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

In Australia the bulk of any daytime running happens while we are asleep as the race starts at like 10pm. You get some daytime running the following day but once again only if you’re prepared to stay up way late to watch it go down. We do get access to nismo tv streams though so it’s not all bad.

Whenever a new F1 season starts, it's always the same for me: I feel like a giant idiot fan (which I am, but mostly of WEC and DTM) for staying up super late to catch each and every free practise plus quali plus race (in australia and asia), only to realize that basically most of the rest of the world has to do the same for the majority of the season. It adds some kind of race-watching-nerd-rank (like at least +1) over here and makes the first races feel a bit special, watching them super tired, trying to stay awake while basically nothing happens.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Hmmm WEC actively sabotaging itself, who would have thunk it? :thunk:

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

tuo posted:

Whenever a new F1 season starts, it's always the same for me: I feel like a giant idiot fan (which I am, but mostly of WEC and DTM) for staying up super late to catch each and every free practise plus quali plus race (in australia and asia), only to realize that basically most of the rest of the world has to do the same for the majority of the season. It adds some kind of race-watching-nerd-rank (like at least +1) over here and makes the first races feel a bit special, watching them super tired, trying to stay awake while basically nothing happens.

Its actually easier for me to watch the endurance races around the world than it is to watch anything else. Supercars and F1 have very few races to watch unless you want to pay for foxtel and I refuse to give money to the company so I miss out. Anything 24hr based is easy as to access because the only time geoblocking comes in is while the 12hr race at Bathurst is on. Used to be that it'd be locked off forever but it's now available the day after the race which is good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tuo posted:

Misc Auto Racing 2018: trying to stay awake while basically nothing happens

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
JMW are running the WeatherTech entry at Le Mans this year.

I wonder why they were chosen...

Cooper MacNeil posted:

We came close [to winning] last year with a third place finish. But, the JMW Ferrari was too quick for us to catch, as was the second place car.
ah

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Misc Auto Racing 2018: Money can't buy skill, but it can buy Platinum co-drivers

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Cooper MacNeil is the racing equivalent of those teenage girls whose wealthy fathers pay obscene amounts of money to music producers to transform their mediocre singing into a full-blown vanity album

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
But DAAAAAAAAAADDD you promised me a championship!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

an oddly awful oud posted:

Cooper MacNeil is the racing equivalent of those teenage girls whose wealthy fathers pay obscene amounts of money to music producers to transform their mediocre singing into a full-blown vanity album

You could have just said Lance and Chloe Stroll.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nfPQ8WKdg

3 hours left from this point, the Blancpain series is at Monza

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/autosport/status/988100966514913280

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
They don't need no fancy schmacy engineering they just new a Loeb!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Pikes Peak record is my favourite car maker dick swinging contest.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IMSA joining IndyCar/NASCAR on NBC on a 6 year deal:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/149065-imsa-moving-to-nbc-sports-in-2019-149065

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Everything on NBCSN, plus 9 hours on NBC. IMSA says it wants to spread that out over three races. All streaming moves to the NBC platform.

Consider the possibilities of IMSA (race) and Indycar (qualifying) coverage happening on the same day, especially at Long Beach or Detroit.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I can see them running the start and finish of Daytona on NBC, then the entirety of Long Beach and Detroit on NBC coupled with IndyCar.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Hell yeah, gently caress fox

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, is it just me, or does it feel like NBC gives any sort of poo poo about motorsports these days?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Is that a rhetorical question?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

iospace posted:

Also, is it just me, or does it feel like NBC gives any sort of poo poo about motorsports these days?

None of them truly give a poo poo, but the rights are cheaper than ball sports and the commentators are cheaper than hot take artists.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

I think it's a smart strategy for them. Sportscar racing and IndyCar both have small but strong niches, and the sponsors involved are getting better. There's a case to be made for it, I think. Plus as mentioned it's cheaper than the rights fees for other sports while still providing a large amount of content.

Fox is all over the board, and the only reason I think ESPN got the F1 deal is because of Liberty's connections there (and because NBC wanted to keep content for its online streaming platform, which should tell you something as well). It's well-trodden discussion in the IndyCar threads as well, but once "ABC Sports" and "ESPN" became one operational entity in the early 2000s, ESPN hasn't prioritized racing in the same way.

As long as the IMSA deal maintains the global IMSA TV deal, I'll still be fine. But this sounds real big for domestic rights and viewing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
ESPN got F1 because it's at a time generally where they'd have no other live content aside from talking heads, and it's free. They just load up the broadcast and do nothing (except the time they did and pissed off literally everyone.)

Once some of the poo poo contracts die, F1 will be full streaming and I doubt anyone in the US will carry it whatsoever.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

ESPN got F1 because it's at a time generally where they'd have no other live content aside from talking heads, and it's free. They just load up the broadcast and do nothing (except the time they did and pissed off literally everyone.)

Once some of the poo poo contracts die, F1 will be full streaming and I doubt anyone in the US will carry it whatsoever.

...and because Liberty Media’s marketing guy was formerly at ESPN. That helps.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

...and because Liberty Media’s marketing guy was formerly at ESPN. That helps.

I guess but I’m pretty sure no one else even bid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
As much poo poo as everyone gives ESPN—and I got several emails about the fact they didn’t show quali this weekend—I’m actually loving it. The Apple TV app has had all the sessions live (and replays) and the fact they don’t interrupt the races with as breaks has really boosted my enjoyment of the season. Plus I don’t have to listen to Leigh Diffey’s relentless boosterism.

It’s odd, I really don’t mind NBC’s IndyCar coverage (including Diffey); maybe it’s because the alternative was terrible ABC/ESPN coverage? Yet for F1 it was horrid compared to Channel 4 or Sky.