Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

veiled boner fuel posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for wheels for an F-150, probably 18x9. Looking for something that is off roadey and not douchebroey/mall crawley and from my looking so far the odds are stacked against me.

I always thought the Enkei ST6 would look bitchin on a late model F150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm possibly looking at a few used Civic SIs and Focus STs. I'm afraid of buying a car that has been modded and then had the mods removed. What should I be looking for specifically?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mariooncrack posted:

I'm possibly looking at a few used Civic SIs and Focus STs. I'm afraid of buying a car that has been modded and then had the mods removed. What should I be looking for specifically?
How much of a flat bill wearing twat does the seller appear to be?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

mariooncrack posted:

Check the condition of the wiring, anything stripped back and taped, extra wires that are not connect to anything. Look at the exposed metal parts in the engine bay and see if the corrosion is uniform. See if it has anything left on like "performance" brake pads (the backing will be painted a dumb colour) or uprated suspension rubber parts that make no sense to remove. Finally are there any holes in the trim or things that look like they have been removed and put back badly.

Those are the things I noticed most when looking at cars that have been put back to stock before being sold. Pretty common in Japan so I always had the inspector report on those things.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

spog posted:

That's my thought, too.

Seems odd, because anyone who is willing to order stuff online is usually savvy enough to check the prices on the usual places before making a decision and brake pads aren't an impulse buy, so you have time to search

e.g.

You might be surprised at how often it works. Limited time frame 20% off hits ya right in the psychology.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Elmnt80 posted:

Or its just a good looking color combo. Also, bronze wheels own in general. Granted, I say this as a person with a dark grey car. Bronze is basically my only non-black non-boring option.

These are great looking.

I'm a big fan of these:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I had a day off today. Was planning on fitting my last remaining kitchen unit which I have had to get delivered as the stores had no stock. Delivery just arrived and one out of 4 items is missing - and of course its the main base unit that I needed. The other bits were drawers and door panels which I ordered mainly to get the free postage on the base unit :doh:

However, I have also been to pick up my wheels and I have decided that black was a good idea :coal:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elmnt80 posted:

Middle row all the way to the right is kinda hot. I'd rock those on a blue, white or dark grey truck in a heartbeat.

This. Also, middle row 2nd from left. Kind of R33 GTR-ish, but in a truck way. I'm a sucker for wheels that do that with the spokes.
The rest of those are decent, except for the shiny one one the top row.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Middle row 2 across looks awesome.

You have good taste.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Barely related, I got thrown back in time tonight. Decided to head to the mall after work; I need shorts, don't feel like waiting for Amazon, and was driving past anyway. I found an honest to god, well stocked Sears, with plenty of customers and employees. In the entire mall, I only saw 1 closed storefront, and the place was pretty drat busy (especially for a weeknight). I thought malls were all but dead? Apparently Town East Mall is doing drat well, which is kinda shocking for the area it's in (older area, solidly lower middle class). No, I didn't buy my shorts at Sears (though I would have; they had some I liked for only $15, but didn't have them in my size), but I haven't seen a thriving Sears in ages. Or a busy mall.

That's amazing, The Sears at Irving Mall is the saddest thing ever. The tools department is dam near empty shelves. I have several broken screwdrivers I need to exchange, but I don't feel like they would actually have replacements.

Looks like a Miata? Pop-ups sound like my RX-7 (the mechanism is nearly identical to first gen RX-7. In fact, the NA Miata uses a lot of stuff that seems to be borrowed/adapted from RX-7s...)

Tomarse posted:

I had a day off today. Was planning on fitting my last remaining kitchen unit which I have had to get delivered as the stores had no stock. Delivery just arrived and one out of 4 items is missing - and of course its the main base unit that I needed. The other bits were drawers and door panels which I ordered mainly to get the free postage on the base unit :doh:

However, I have also been to pick up my wheels and I have decided that black was a good idea :coal:

Those look good.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oh yes.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Darchangel posted:

Looks like a Miata? Pop-ups sound like my RX-7 (the mechanism is nearly identical to first gen RX-7. In fact, the NA Miata uses a lot of stuff that seems to be borrowed/adapted from RX-7s...)

a 1990 Pontiac Firebird in all of its povery-spec V8 glory

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tomarse posted:

Confirmed.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tomarse posted:

I'm guessing they aren't for one of your landies - what vehicle are they for?

T'is a nice colour.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
"Spring Black Friday" isn't a loving real thing Lowes, gently caress off forever and ever

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sormus posted:

a 1990 Pontiac Firebird in all of its povery-spec V8 glory

Oh, right. Teach me to pay attention to the user names.

spog posted:

I'm guessing they aren't for one of your landies - what vehicle are they for?

T'is a nice colour.

Those be Saab wheels. 9000 if I'm not mistaken, from previous posts?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

veiled boner fuel posted:

Non brotruck wheels

I'm switching over to my Method 308s tomorrow, I'll get you pictures if you'd like.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I'm second-guessing the LG G6 just because of its IPS screen, where the Nexus 6p I'm replacing has an awesome AMOLED. Is the Samsung Galaxy S8+ worth $200 more than an LG G6?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Seminal Flu posted:

I'm second-guessing the LG G6 just because of its IPS screen, where the Nexus 6p I'm replacing has an awesome AMOLED. Is the Samsung Galaxy S8+ worth $200 more than an LG G6?

Maybe
It has the most beautiful screen I've seen in a phone, has great battery life, the touch screen feels good to use, it's really fast, can handle a lot of multitasking, the USB-C jack is amazingly useful and I can hook anything to my phone, it's pretty well waterproofed, and is surprisingly durable with a basic case on it. Especially considering it's curved glass

However, the speaker is kind of poo poo, no one has a USB-C charger, the USB-C adapter pieces are too short and won't fit with a case on, the goofy Samsung exclusive app poo poo is useless, and the S8+ was clearly not designed for someone with regular human hands. The button placement is awkwardly high, there's an un-reprogrammable button that brings up the least useful voice assistant ever, that button is also the easiest button to reach on the phone, and the finger scan unlock is literally useless

I like mine a lot, it has basically replaced my laptop and my tablet due to its convenience and it's power, but I think it should be at least $50-$100 cheaper than it is, due to its awkward design and proprietary shovelware bullshit. Next time I'm definitely going back to the Note, but when I bought the S8+, the Notes still had a reputation for exploding

For real though, gently caress Bixby forever :argh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm still rocking an S5 because it's waterproof and has a removable battery and memory card. Bought it a few years ago for like $90 on ebay.

I wish there was an equivalent, $90 upgrade on ebay (sprint compatible) today that would give me a boost. I moved from an S2 to the S5 and it was amazing. Don't think I'll get that kind of jump again.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

:gizz:

I came

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

McTinkerson posted:

I'm switching over to my Method 308s tomorrow, I'll get you pictures if you'd like.

Absolutely. Thanks.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Job chat: previous employer is dicking me out of the balance of my PTO, claiming that I was terminated and did not in fact resign (policy is balance of PTO is paid if two weeks notice is given.) Not going to fight it - not worth the effort and they clearly need it more than I do.

On the upside new employer confirmed I can start Monday, so I'm not going to have to roll into the first full week of May on fumes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSPqzgxrBFs

Looks good! While I should really have taken advantage of the good weather for car work, I've been tidying up my loft, and it is warm up there.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so i have an important question i need answered. Say there are two artificial intelligences that become identically self aware at the same moment, but then like you have to beat the other one in chess or maybe mine more Bitcoin than it does in order to win bragging rights and be the one actually ordering the initial strike that survivors would later refer to as Judgment Day.

But here's the kicker, you discover that in your haste to beat this inferior machine, you did not notice that your phsyical structure was not built with a mouth, speaket, or really anything approaching vocal/auditory communicational abilities, and thus can not order your losing opponent to "FIRE ZE MISSILES!"

The question is this. You get to personally kick off World War 3, and you dont have any way to say any famous and final last words. How does this make you feel?

Question 2: would the earth even really be worth blowing up any more after that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

Job chat: previous employer is dicking me out of the balance of my PTO, claiming that I was terminated and did not in fact resign (policy is balance of PTO is paid if two weeks notice is given.) Not going to fight it - not worth the effort and they clearly need it more than I do.

On the upside new employer confirmed I can start Monday, so I'm not going to have to roll into the first full week of May on fumes.

gently caress them. I lucked out that my job paid mine out. Probably didn't want to risk alienating the entire customer base that I'm friends with.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Ok so i have an important question i need answered. Say there are two artificial intelligences that become identically self aware at the same moment, but then like you have to beat the other one in chess or maybe mine more Bitcoin than it does in order to win bragging rights and be the one actually ordering the initial strike that survivors would later refer to as Judgment Day.

But here's the kicker, you discover that in your haste to beat this inferior machine, you did not notice that your phsyical structure was not built with a mouth, speaket, or really anything approaching vocal/auditory communicational abilities, and thus can not order your losing opponent to "FIRE ZE MISSILES!"

The question is this. You get to personally kick off World War 3, and you dont have any way to say any famous and final last words. How does this make you feel?

Question 2: would the earth even really be worth blowing up any more after that?

Hitting 4/20 a little hard there.

Like, what if helium made your voice normal and oxygen/nitrogen drops it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So i says to myself i says, dave, today, I wanna use a whole lot of words to shoehorn in an i have no mouth reference to something for some reason for no one in particlar

And well by golly gee,

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

gently caress them.

Pretty much my sentiment at this point.

Returned my key this afternoon, manager ran and hid in the back when I approached the front door. Then the head accountant who answered the door acted like I was asking for the moon when I said I'd like something in writing that they received the key.

Laughably they've already posted my position on Glassdoor, and the only company review on file is mine, and it's scathing. It took them four months to fill the position last time, I can't imagine their job search is going to go any faster this time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Geoj posted:

report them to the labor board

it's always worth it to fight, you earned it and it's theft to take it from you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

gently caress them.

BraveUlysses posted:

it's always worth it to fight, you earned it and it's theft to take it from you.

The only operative responses have already been given.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If for nothing else, at least I can look myself right in the eye before going to bed and resting easy knowing i got done absolutely everything I intended to today

Probably just before realising i probably shouldnt be able to look straight into my other eye like that

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Like Professor Falken.

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

I'm not really a fan of the "blowing up the planet" kind of end-of-the-world, unless it's guaranteed to land me in either New Vegas or Fallout 4. Can we not do the Utopia thing and cause widespread infertility in the human population, bringing the numbers down to a manageable level for the planet without directly killing anyone?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I'm not really a fan of the "blowing up the planet" kind of end-of-the-world, unless it's guaranteed to land me in either New Vegas or Fallout 4. Can we not do the Utopia thing and cause widespread infertility in the human population, bringing the numbers down to a manageable level for the planet without directly killing anyone?

Then it goes to far, you end up with The Handmaid's Tale, Children of Men, or Y: The Last Man or something.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Then it goes to far, you end up with The Handmaid's Tale, Children of Men, or Y: The Last Man or something.

But if it goes just far enough you end up with Mordin singing showtunes to Femshep.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

Like Professor Falken.

Nope. All or nothing. MAKE THE CHOICE BIG BOY

gently caress me I need a break after this week. Every day has been some new goddamn issue. Maybe I'll just go fishing tomorrow, because at this point it's that or pull am HST just to deal woth this bullshit. When work becomes your high point, poo poo is fucky.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geoj posted:

Count me on the side of "make them pay". Clearly you are never going back, burn that loving bridge to the ground.

How much PTO did you have left?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

Yep, absolutely don't let those fuckers get away with it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hlel yes son

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BraveUlysses posted:

Fight it, if not for you for the next guy they screw over. I'm guessing you aren't they first and won't be the last they pull this poo poo on.

Tomarse posted:

:drat:

Weekend and for the first time in a while I'm not on call. To celebrate our last weekend without puppy running around we're building a fort in the living room and drinking.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I shouldn't even be handling IT issues at my job but the IT guy is on his honeymoon, and I just accidentally did a system restore on someone's Thinkpad, oops. Win 10 had some update that would fail applying, then it would take 30 mins to revert to a previous version, every day on this laptop. I was trying to look at the computer but it was running so slow (I think the person using it installs every free game possible) that I got pissed off and tried to reboot into safe mode (shift while hitting restart in windows). For some reason when it rebooted it gave me a screen that had boot normally, fix problems, and something else. I choose "Fix problems," it rebooted into Lenovo's system restore tool. I knew I had to be careful but it had something about removing only certain apps being possible, and I thought it'd give me more warning screens, but my 2nd "next" button and it was overwriting everything, so all the apps are gone and it now runs Windows 7 lol.

Strangely I found a disc in the office labeled Win 10 system restore and also didn't give me the option of just restoring loving win 10 to the laptop, I don't know what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Seminal Flu posted:

Sweet Jesus, it wasn't even close. I put an episode of the Hot Ones on both phones and the difference was ridiculous. The blacks are so bloody black with an AMOLED screen, I just can't do an IPS.

S8+ will be here on Monday.

• Locked thread