Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Voyager had a great premise and pissed it all away. Enterprise had a dumb premise and stayed dumb. Points for consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Animal-Mother posted:

Voyager had a great premise and pissed it all away.

gently caress you

----------------
VOYAGER CREW

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
crimson carrots! i was goin through some boxes in my storage unit and made a most fortuitous discovery - my long lost TOS science officer bath robe is lost no more! thank the prophets! i'm now high as titties and only just a little bit severely depressed, all burritoed up like a fat guac-smeared cannabis reeking meatman in my soft velvety trek tortilla

open hailing frequencies

this is gatekeeper captain of the something awful starship cum tsunami on a mission of peaceful exploration- explorin uranus with my mouth :bigtran: set a course for chilled out brosephs and brosephines gettin so high that we break orbit and then puttin our mouths upon each other's warp nacelles and sucklin' long deep and hard because the future is right motherfuckin'now and surprise!: it's fully automated luxury gay space communist turtles all the way down. so lets boldly go bareback like the suckfucking starfleet superstars we were born to be and trust in riker's trombone that we won't get burned by anything that Bev's hypospray can't clear up.

gatekeeper out

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

gently caress you

He's not wrong. I watched all of Voyager and I don't regret it, but it's telling at The Fight is one of the better episodes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cool robe, powerful hair.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

The General posted:

The Fight is one of the better episodes.

Mods?!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Fight is cool (for Voyager)

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Animal-Mother posted:

Voyager had a great premise and pissed it all away. Enterprise had a dumb premise and stayed dumb. Points for consistency.

Enterprise had a great premise and went insane for 3 seasons due to 9/11 I guess before settling down, but you don't get to take 3 seasons to settle down especially with a horribly miscast lead. TOS was so vague in terms of setting that they had a LOT of room to work with in terms of a prequel and reconciling TOS/TAS and TNG/DS9/VOY. That's also why I think Discovery could maybe be ok, TOS was basically an allegorical sci-fi anthology series and doesn't really handcuff a prequel too badly continuity-wise.

I really like the Voyager cast and I wish they had been given better writing to work with. A-koo-chee-moya!!!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Enterprise needed some smaller stakes and I think a Temporal Cold War is too big a concept for it and they don't quite find something that gels. In some ways, I think it lessens the overall Trek mythos a bit, too. The name of the show also doesn't help.

I do think that's why Voyager and Enterprise invite a lot of fanfic rewrite/reimaging. There's a concept there you can explore with the settings they've created, but neither show really feels like they do that as well as they could.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Hector Beerlioz posted:

gently caress you

Well, double dumbass on you!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I was just watching the TNG episode "A Matter of Perspective"

I thought I had seen it before.

Then I realised: it's regurgitated in "Ex Post Facto" from VOY with a different ending.

There was another episode that I thought I had seen but it turned out to be VOY. God drat, no originality whatsoever.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Baronjutter posted:

Cool robe, powerful hair.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

JediTalentAgent posted:

Enterprise needed some smaller stakes and I think a Temporal Cold War is too big a concept for it and they don't quite find something that gels. In some ways, I think it lessens the overall Trek mythos a bit, too. The name of the show also doesn't help.

I do think that's why Voyager and Enterprise invite a lot of fanfic rewrite/reimaging. There's a concept there you can explore with the settings they've created, but neither show really feels like they do that as well as they could.

The temporal cold war would have been better as one of those Shamalam style twist moments, where you realise lots of small but inconsequential details had been manipulated expertly by time surgeons.

Like a manifold failed one episode and it lead to then meeting someone they otherwise would have met. Or someone else being recommended that they investigate an anomaly which the Enterprise is also investigating. Or information passed to Enterprise's enemies is why they "accidentally" stumbled into one of their patrols.

Instead they start with "someone committed 1,000 9/11s and they will 9/11 the entire planet if you don't stop them!" and the reveal isn't there is this subtle back and forth between powers manipulating events unbeknownst to the enterprise crew, it's that they are literally coming back in time and saying "Hey dudes, go and 9/11 earth please".

Like that Klingon crashes on earth and gives Archer a chance of positive first contact with Klingons (before they turn blue, then humans in black face, and then back to best Klingons).

Maybe originally what should have happened is that the Klingon ship gets stuck on its way back from some mission to spy on earth, and Enterprise captures him and hands him back over peacefully. The Suliban want to use it as a chance to cause a war, so they cause the ship to explode. However future federation uses some of their tech to save the Klingons life, to ensure archer can rescue him.

Then as they are going to Quo'nos the klingon ship sent by the Suliban to witness the destroyed ship meets archer due to a slight course correction needed to avoid an uncharted nebula. They then meet and have a great first contact.

The you reveal it all at the end of the cold war plot that these events were all nudged along, and all these throw away lines or tension points the entire time was out of their control. Like maybe Trip isn't such an engineering genius and actually there's some future dude with a future spanner making it work and giving him the credit.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
"Captain Archer, it turns out you're a terrible captain and it was all these poor time travelling agents could do to stop you from accidentally flying the ship into a sun and killing everyone on board"

*Archer looks at camera with a "can you believe his guy?" face*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm future dude with my time spanner

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kitchner posted:

"Captain Archer, it turns out you're a terrible captain and it was all these poor time travelling agents could do to stop you from accidentally flying the ship into a sun and killing everyone on board"

*Archer looks at camera with a "can you believe his guy?" face*

The end of a random episode has Archer suddenly talking to someone who isn't there named "Al", there's a bright flash, and suddenly he's replaced by a new actor playing Archer for the rest of the series. The crew are only confused as to why he seemed to be speaking to someone named "Al" about "leaping", but otherwise notice nothing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kitchner posted:

*Archer looks at camera and says "oh boy"*

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still keep picturing Sterling Archer.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The end of a random episode has Archer suddenly talking to someone who isn't there named "Al", there's a bright flash, and suddenly he's replaced by a new actor playing Archer for the rest of the series. The crew are only confused as to why he seemed to be speaking to someone named "Al" about "leaping", but otherwise notice nothing.

Explaining away enterprise as an episode of quantum leap is not only what they should have done but they should also say the same for star trek discovery.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I expected Frakes to walk into the last Frame of Discovery. I was sad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Is Discovery dead already?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is Discovery dead already?

They're filming season 2 at this very moment.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it would only have died after one season if it was good

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The only good thing about Discovery is Captain Killey and maybe Saru

And we also get to see a sexy Constitution class too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They really should just do a new Star Trek TAS. You can even use CGI for it and it'd be true to the franchise's aesthetic.

hell, I'm drunk and I'm gonna watch it

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Saru was great, Tilly and the Fun Guy grew on me greatly, and the rest of the crew that never gets to talk or do anything because we need MORE MICHAEL LOOKING CONSTIPATED managed to touch me more than 80% of the cast of Enterprise, somehow, especially when they were really onboard with being proper Starfleet guys and gals rather than hard men and women.

If the show could just resolve its major writing and focus problems, it has the material to be ok, not just as a show, but as Trek.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The good news is that the expanse is back and already kicking rear end and boy they're showing off a higher effects budget already

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I expected Frakes to walk into the last Frame of Discovery. I was sad

Hes directing episodes so don't give up hope

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Hes directing episodes so don't give up hope

I just hope its all a Holodeck Simulation again and Chubby Frakes will end it all.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
all of star trek is a riker jerk off program

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Was great that the CGI TMNT show had a Star Trek TAS spoof in the first season.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

MA-Horus posted:

The good news is that the expanse is back and already kicking rear end and boy they're showing off a higher effects budget already

Really? My Netflix still only has season 1 and 2. Or did you mean they are filming?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Kitchner posted:

Really? My Netflix still only has season 1 and 2. Or did you mean they are filming?

No season 3 is started already, 2 episodes in

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
On the topic of other sci-fi shows, I'm surprised that the new Lost in Space remake is actually good. Like, really, really, good. It's nice to see a sci-fi/adventure show that actually let's the protagonists succeed sometimes instead of trying to be all grim-dark serious drama because of Battlestar Galactica :emo:.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On the topic of other sci-fi shows, I'm surprised that the new Lost in Space remake is actually good. Like, really, really, good. It's nice to see a sci-fi/adventure show that actually let's the protagonists succeed sometimes instead of trying to be all grim-dark serious drama because of Battlestar Galactica :emo:.

This show was pretty alright.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You must have been watching another show, because the Lost in Space I watched was boring as poo poo with ultra-predictable plot points, bad acting, and a robot suit that looked like a power rangers movie reject.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking of checking out the new Lost in Space this weekend, is it closer to STD or The Expanse?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is it closer to Space Cases or Firefly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I watched like 15 minutes of that poo poo. It’ll put an STD in your Expanse :downsrim: