Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
when you're skydiving you fall faster the more directly downward but can travel further across the map the more you're looking towards the horizon, you can usually make it to the top 25 just by picking a far-off location from the bus route and throwing yourself all the way over there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
In pubg I try to jump when the map marker is exactly perpendicular to the plane. I wonder if in Fortnite it makes sense to jump sooner then that and start aiming down to gain speed and head for valleys?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Enderzero posted:

In pubg I try to jump when the map marker is exactly perpendicular to the plane. I wonder if in Fortnite it makes sense to jump sooner then that and start aiming down to gain speed and head for valleys?

I tend to just hard dive a good distance away and glide from there. You can travel an absurd distance on your glider, unlike in PUBG, so you can easily cross a named area or two before landing.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Enderzero posted:

Depending on elevation i think you can typically make it around two grid squares from the bus dropping straight down.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i use one grid square as my distance guess, but i usually try to land on buildings or hills so i need a bit more clearance

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Enderzero posted:

It's a pretty different strategy from PUBG since you can glide anywhere (at almost the same horizontal speed as no glider). There is no need to get perpendicular to maximize your flight distance. It also means you should be jumping before the plane is perpendicular to get there sooner. There is a sweet spot that varies depending on the distance from your target. I'm sure someone has figured out a formula using the bus' speed, falling speed, and the Pythagorean theorem; but it's easy to get a feel for it if you play squads. The people who jump correctly will beat the people who jump too early or jump when the plane is perpendicular.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
yeah when i first started playing i'd try and get as close as possible to where i was going before jumping but pretty quickly i worked out you can reach a huge area just by hitting space when the jump prompt first becomes available

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/8d9l3q/the_meteors_audio_spectrogram_produces_this_image

And yes, it's a real thing. :v:

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I swear sometimes I log in and I'm a half second behind everyone else. My ping is still in the 30s and 120fps, but it's like I'm playing Quake on 56k against LPBs.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Switched.on posted:

The only correct thing was that the minigun is trash.

I know it's a page or two ago discussion, but yea, the minigun is mostly trash. It can do plenty of damage, but that half second warm up before it starts shooting bullets is basically all it takes for the other guy to kill you.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Enderzero posted:

Depending on how you do it, you can go up to 15 squares away from drop zone. Fastest arrival time is through a wallet within two squares, except for Tilted rooftops where the optimal jump is almost outside of it.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
50v50 mode is great. We built a huge fort and then the server crashed i think.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

My pro jump strat is to try and have my glider pop about a map square from where I want to land which usually gives me time to scope out a convenient air-visible chest location like the doghouse in Pleasant or the little shrine on the hill in Lucky before I have to take a gamble on a roof maybe or maybe not having a chest. Every chest has a weapon and if you've got one from a good spot in the first two seconds you're on the ground you're gonna be in a good spot for the early fights. Unless you get a really unfortunate random weapon like any sniper or the grenade launcher that you just can't use in that early close quarters fighting.

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 19, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/v3-5-content-update

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
My kneejerk reaction to 50v50 V2 is that I preferred there not being a suggested line halfway across the map. I really liked how the entire map in the original 50v50 was a total dangerzone, this time around it's mostly just been 8 minutes of inaction followed by an explosive finale.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So far it's been full of assholes who troll each other with remote explosives destroying buildings trying to kill their teammates.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

socialsecurity posted:

So far it's been full of assholes who troll each other with remote explosives destroying buildings trying to kill their teammates.

The pubbie skurg has been doing this in squads too.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

They un-broke peeking! :toot:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

tote up a bags posted:

They un-broke peeking! :toot:

Yessss goddamnit it was so annoying having an apparently clear cursor and hitting my own building, especially as it gave targets extra time to react.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
Has anyone used the new light machine gun? Is it any good or just another mini gun?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Electrical Fire posted:

Has anyone used the new light machine gun? Is it any good or just another mini gun?

It seems like it will be pretty lovely on the face of it considering the lower damage; it will get beat out by ARs except the scoped rifle, but scoped AR is made for plinking fools at longer ranges anyway.

But, maybe I'm wrong perhaps the firing rate is good enough that it will be useful in medium range engagements, I just doubt it, especially considering it competes for ammo with the ARs.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Let's just say, LMG does decent damage at close range.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ExuberantOddRavenKappaClaus

Not enough experience yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if people started using LMGs over Shotguns, specifically people who have a hard time tracking bunny hopping people close by. If you miss your pump shot in that situation, you're 100% dead against LMG I'd say.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
50v50 is still bad, just people trolling teammates and tryhards dunking on kids.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Tryhards?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

el B posted:

Tryhards?

People who are good at the game, and thus are clearly putting way too much effort into being good.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
TryHards has 2 definitions in my opinion:

1) people who take the poo poo way too seriously. They are good, but more importantly, they are the ones who are like “Enemy in bravo sector! Flanking positions! Do not break character! You’re doing it wrong!” etc...

2) anyone better than you that you’re salty about...

:)

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I meant the first one really. I play a ton of this game, but I am very chill about it. I've seen plenty of streamers being...awful shitbags about this game while not being very good.

Sorry if anyone felt personally attacked by the tryhard comment.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

When people are referred to try harding they've gone past the intensity of playing for fun. Often what happens is someone goes from a team trying to improve (serious effort, everyone on the same page) to a pub/pick-up game and expects or tries to enforce that level of effort. Or they want that level of effort but don't have a team, and expect the random people to meet that intensity. Their goal often involves doing whatever is most optimal to win and no consideration for enjoying the game (if they got a great loadout early they'd probably go hide somewhere and just wait).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

99% of the time I laugh when I die. It’s always funny because I know the exact moment I hosed up and then I die.

It’s never unfair, it’s never frustrating. I just laugh it off and jump into another game. I’m not even good at this game.

Fortnite is not like Call of Duty or Battlefield where the enemy team can spawn camp and slaughter your team over and over again.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I haven’t played much but I feel like especially early on a lot of deaths are just poo poo luck that someone else got the drop on ya. Of course I can’t finish anyone off with my terrible aim so I am the exception.

Unrelated, but I feel like Fortnite and now mobile PUBG may carve the way for how many games are priced. I’d like to think they’ve struck a happy medium between completely F2P and greedy like EA was for Battlefront 2. Although they just might have been in the right place with at the right time by being the first BR game to be free and then charge for cosmetics. While I don’t think $25 million is going to be kept consistent, I feel like staying power comes from making good changes and interesting game modes.

poo poo, if people realized this is how you should monetize or buy into a game then mobile gaming as a whole would benefit instead of companies pumping out simple anime titty candy skinner boxes.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
^ding ding ding we got a winner.

Its pretty much why this is the only game I'm playing now and have spent money on merchandise.

It was free to get, friends are playing it, weekly updates, fun gameplay, etc etc..

It's all around a fun time playing and also my aim is poo poo.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Do squad challenges count in 50v50?

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

They went out of their way to say "50v50 won't count towards squad based challenges" in the patch notes.

quote:

Due to this being a “large squad” mode, Profile Stats will not be tracked. Daily & Weekly challenges will still work, with the exception of the Squad-based challenges (‘Place Top 6 in Squads’, etc.).

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

cage-free egghead posted:

Unrelated, but I feel like Fortnite and now mobile PUBG may carve the way for how many games are priced. I’d like to think they’ve struck a happy medium between completely F2P and greedy like EA was for Battlefront 2. Although they just might have been in the right place with at the right time by being the first BR game to be free and then charge for cosmetics. While I don’t think $25 million is going to be kept consistent, I feel like staying power comes from making good changes and interesting game modes.

I imagine it's gotta trip some of the industry big wigs though. After years of blaming piracy for declining game sales, it turns out the people will actually voluntarily give money to publishers for games that are actually fun...

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I wish PvE had BR's monetization system. Like in the alpha before Tencent started spreading its cancer.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

cage-free egghead posted:

I haven’t played much but I feel like especially early on a lot of deaths are just poo poo luck that someone else got the drop on ya. Of course I can’t finish anyone off with my terrible aim so I am the exception.

poo poo, if people realized this is how you should monetize or buy into a game then mobile gaming as a whole would benefit instead of companies pumping out simple anime titty candy skinner boxes.

Some bussines models only make sense if you are one of the top 2 games in a genre, but not solid enough for others

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Honestly the best part about the way they've monetized it is that I spent the ten bucks or whatever to get the season battle pass and now, through doing challenges, have accumulated enough vbucks to buy next season's pass (assuming they keep it the same price).

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I have this bad feeling that some giant investor is going to take over and gently caress everything up but ayeeeeee who knows?!???!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
50v50 pubbies are the worst. You get half you team congregatibg around a 500 vending machine waiting for someone to harvest and try and buy something so they can steal it. Only to watch them wipe themselves out in the storm.