Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Hazeus is taken though, darn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Also, Sony is suing Knee Deep for their Breaking Bud beer that's been out for years

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

danbanana posted:

I am 500 times more likely to drink a beer from Stone out of a 55 gallon drum than I am to ever try Zenne.

Out dude had a couple of boxes of it for the tasting so it's out there, and they ship a lot to the US as their historical thank you so you never know. Unless you're already got the barrel of 'Stone of course.

Also this is going to be the best beer made this year clearly

https://northern-monk-brew-co.myshopify.com/products/sharknado

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

dphi posted:

Also, Sony is suing Knee Deep for their Breaking Bud beer that's been out for years

I don't blame them for not noticing till now; it's not a particularly remarkable beer

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

Aramoro posted:

Out dude had a couple of boxes of it for the tasting so it's out there, and they ship a lot to the US as their historical thank you so you never know. Unless you're already got the barrel of 'Stone of course.

Also this is going to be the best beer made this year clearly

https://northern-monk-brew-co.myshopify.com/products/sharknado

Lol, I don't think you're getting the picture, Zenne is a minimum 200-250 dollars on the secondary market, and trading for it is nearly impossible. If someone you know got a case or more for a tasting it's because Armand specifically hooked them up knowing it wasn't gonna leak out into the secondary.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Lol, I don't think you're getting the picture, Zenne is a minimum 200-250 dollars on the secondary market, and trading for it is nearly impossible. If someone you know got a case or more for a tasting it's because Armand specifically hooked them up knowing it wasn't gonna leak out into the secondary.

In this case I know Armand hooked him up because he wanted so much. Admittedly I don't know much about the secondary market, I get that it's expensive because people hoard it. But last year they bought 30 more sherry casks so they are producing a new edition, with higher volume so should be 'more' available. I mean it's always going to be expensive because of the method but not the crazy secondary market prices.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Aramoro posted:

In this case I know Armand hooked him up because he wanted so much. Admittedly I don't know much about the secondary market, I get that it's expensive because people hoard it. But last year they bought 30 more sherry casks so they are producing a new edition, with higher volume so should be 'more' available. I mean it's always going to be expensive because of the method but not the crazy secondary market prices.

Per lambic.info (this is a thing), they only did 250 cases total and I don't believe any were distro'd to the US. If your buddy got 1% of the total number of bottles, that's loving rad. But our comments aren't about how much the bottle retails for; it's how impossible it is to get in the US. Any bottles that are here are because someone hauled back from Europe and aren't likely to be changing hands without lots of money or some other rare-rear end beer.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

danbanana posted:

Per lambic.info (this is a thing), they only did 250 cases total and I don't believe any were distro'd to the US. If your buddy got 1% of the total number of bottles, that's loving rad. But our comments aren't about how much the bottle retails for; it's how impossible it is to get in the US. Any bottles that are here are because someone hauled back from Europe and aren't likely to be changing hands without lots of money or some other rare-rear end beer.

:agreed:

Given how much easier it is for you EU folks to get to Belgium, I'm surprised you don't go there more often. I'd trade everything in my cellar for variations of lambic and walk away, a happy man.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also considering that everyone in Europe gets about double the vacation time of people in the USA, I'm surprised why more people don't do three day weekend trips to Belgium all the time because it's only a two hour flight from pretty much anywhere or most of a day's train ride.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Is there much of an EU secondary market for beer? I would guess not but have no idea.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Conspicuous consumption doesn't seem to be a thing for Europeans, like the general vibe I get is that sort of thing is a faux pas and honestly I dig the way they approach beer. Just not a big deal to Pokemon hunt for it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

air- posted:

Conspicuous consumption doesn't seem to be a thing for Europeans, like the general vibe I get is that sort of thing is a faux pas and honestly I dig the way they approach beer. Just not a big deal to Pokemon hunt for it.

When I went to asturias I bought a case of cider from the local sideria my cousin thought it was weird as gently caress (Note: it was like 12eu total, I think they were 500-70mL bottles) . Maybe things have changed since I was last there, but the mindset was always "buy what you need" as nobody could really afford luxuries because you're either poor or obscenely rich due to how far your money goes, and how lovely the job market is and has always been.

I think England is more like the USA in terms of conspicuous consumption but now I'm curious as to how it's like in the rest of the continent.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

danbanana posted:

You're absolutely right I don't really understand what the market and distribution in the US. I'm not trying to be some Eurodick about it. Last I heard some Belgian breweries are trying to ship more to the US because it was the US that kept them in business in the 50s and 60s.

As for the secondary market in Europe personally I've never come across one, but I sure it exists in some form.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also considering that everyone in Europe gets about double the vacation time of people in the USA, I'm surprised why more people don't do three day weekend trips to Belgium all the time because it's only a two hour flight from pretty much anywhere or most of a day's train ride.

Brussels is a super boring city. Most of Belgium is pretty boring.

I’m a Belgian citizen so you have to accept what I say as fact.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

When I went to asturias I bought a case of cider from the local sideria my cousin thought it was weird as gently caress (Note: it was like 12eu total, I think they were 500-70mL bottles) . Maybe things have changed since I was last there, but the mindset was always "buy what you need" as nobody could really afford luxuries because you're either poor or obscenely rich due to how far your money goes, and how lovely the job market is and has always been.

I think England is more like the USA in terms of conspicuous consumption but now I'm curious as to how it's like in the rest of the continent.

Compusaurus posted:

Forget the day trip to Brussels because it is a boring city; one could do a quick pit stop in Belgium and then head to anywhere else in Europe that is far better, like Paris, which is really quite close.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Compusaurus posted:

That's why you make it a long weekend. But then I think Edinburgh is quite boring and we can't move for tourists in the summer so there's probably something to it.

The pit stop is something I am doing in May, going to Porto for a week, via Brussels for the flights.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Brussels sucks
Gooik owns
Bruges owns

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Also both Antwerp and Ghent own

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

LeafHouse posted:

Is there much of an EU secondary market for beer? I would guess not but have no idea.

Brussels is alright, but there are about a thousand more interesting cities withing two hours tbf.

Not really, no. As mentioned, the conspicuous consumption thing isn't as much of a thing.

Can someone explain this thing of what seems to he mostly US people making videos of them chugging rare/expensive beer?

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 19, 2018

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Spuckuk posted:

Can someone explain this thing of what seems to he mostly US people making videos of them chugging rare/expensive beer?

blame the French for helping us gain independence

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spuckuk posted:

Brussels is alright, but there are about a thousand more interesting cities withing two hours tbf.

Not really, no. As mentioned, the conspicuous consumption thing isn't as much of a thing.

I have more money than you, nana nana boo boo

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Spanish Manlove posted:

I have more money than you, nana nana boo boo

Also it's funny because people who take this "hobby" way too seriously get really mad.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Klaus Kinski posted:

Also it's funny because people who take this "hobby" way too seriously get really mad.

It's always seemed a bit

or wearing diapers to own the libs kinda thing though.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Necking a 750 of Cantillon really doesn't even seem like it would be fun at all though :(

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Perhaps there is some small group of people here who do this trading thing, but I've never encountered it. The local beer shop is happy to trade for rare stuff from faraway places though, and then they sell it. Prices are usually reasonable except for the big American bottles which are probably expensive over there too.

It's a more casual hobby here. There are big beer festivals that sell out but they are populated with people who go to such things a few times per year perhaps. I've never seen people line up for releases. Some people do drive over to Westvleteren to get a crate, I guess that's an experience. I've only gone to some famous Belgian places when I lived near Brussels for some months or when I was visiting Gent, Bruges etc. on day trips with friends. But I've never taken the effort to go out to De Molen for example, which is one of the most hyped breweries here that has many releases in the way that American breweries do. It's in a small town, not so far away, but if I drive there I can't drink, and by public transportation it probably takes a while. I should do this some time though.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 20, 2018

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Entropist posted:

The local beer shop is happy to trade for rare stuff from faraway places though, and then they sell it.

Yeah, this would be a quick way to lose your liquor license and/or be arrested in the US...

By the way, it's cool that the European folks have showed up here. Nice to hear new experiences that aren't all just dystopian American beer hell.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

danbanana posted:

Yeah, this would be a quick way to lose your liquor license and/or be arrested in the US...

By the way, it's cool that the European folks have showed up here. Nice to hear new experiences that aren't all just dystopian American beer hell.

Don't worry we're catching you up, one of the distributors here bought up an entire allocation of Goose Island beer and was selling it for like £20 a pop because it was so ~*rare*~ and they sold out in no time so undoubtedly it's going to start happening more.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
In Chicago briefly on business. I lived here for 10 years, so have some favorites I already bought to bring home (driving), but there is a lot of random new poo poo on the shelves from the area. Any of these companies I should actually buy?

P.S. I can't believe Finchs is still in business.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
A Dutch supermarket chain recently got in trouble with Westvleteren because they sourced 300 crates somehow (probably by having a bunch of people go and pick some up) and then selling the bottles in their supermarkets for 10 eur, which is quite a markup.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Paul Proteus posted:

In Chicago briefly on business. I lived here for 10 years, so have some favorites I already bought to bring home (driving), but there is a lot of random new poo poo on the shelves from the area. Any of these companies I should actually buy?

I generally stick to Rev, Half Acre, and Off Color because I'm that dude.

But I generally enjoy Maplewood's stuff, especially their pale ales. Marz does good things even though the price point is higher.

Are you in the city itself or burbs?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Paul Proteus posted:

the board removed the original owner (the dipshit i went to high school with) and changed the name slightly

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Entropist posted:

Perhaps there is some small group of people here who do this trading thing, but I've never encountered it. The local beer shop is happy to trade for rare stuff from faraway places though, and then they sell it. Prices are usually reasonable except for the big American bottles which are probably expensive over there too.

It's a more casual hobby here. There are big beer festivals that sell out but they are populated with people who go to such things a few times per year perhaps. I've never seen people line up for releases. Some people do drive over to Westvleteren to get a crate, I guess that's an experience. I've only gone to some famous Belgian places when I lived near Brussels for some months or when I was visiting Gent, Bruges etc. on day trips with friends. But I've never taken the effort to go out to De Molen for example, which is one of the most hyped breweries here that has many releases in the way that American breweries do. It's in a small town, not so far away, but if I drive there I can't drink, and by public transportation it probably takes a while. I should do this some time though.

Us Americans always take everything to their logical extreme - waiting overnight with a diaper on so we don't miss out on the latest dessert stout that we can flip for $800 on the black market.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
What's "can't miss" in LA? I'm staying in Orange for two nights and West Hollywood for a couple more. Breweries, bars, anything else?

Probably going to at least get to Bottle Logic since its a relatively close lyft from where I'll be staying. Everything else is so spread out I don't know whats worth visiting. Got my eye on Monkish and Highland Park but I don't know if I'll feel like driving all the way out somewhere that I can only have a flight at.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Highland Park for real do not question me

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Us Americans always take everything to their logical extreme - waiting overnight with a diaper on so we don't miss out on the latest dessert stout that we can flip for $800 on the black market.

The dessert stouts really get me. Like it's not as if they're hard to make. Make a stout and throw a bunch of poo poo in it, done. They're not using novel processes or rare ingredients. Like the Goose Island Barrel Aged Vanilla Stout, I get that's expensive as it's barrel aged etc and that costs money. They seem to be selling for ~$150 fair enough, but then I see people selling Three Floyds Marshmallow Handjee for $800 a bottle. Some of the Angry Chair stuff doesn't even seem to be barrel aged, it's just beer and it's north of a $100 a bottle. But it's rare I guess.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

So Cantillon recently posted that they were trying to stop mules from buying up St Lamvinus since it’s especially limited this year. You could buy a 3 pack online of 50n4e, Vignerrone and St Lam. Their plan to stop resellers was to make the bottles pickup only with proof of purchase.

Except they then said proxies would be allowed to pick up the bottles which defeats the point entirely. They’re woefully far behind in the beer flipper arms race.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Don’t forget the 187ml pips meadery bottles that have people lining up the night before and resell at $200+

187 mills what the gently caress. Over a dollar per thimble hahahaha Americans are such drat idiots.

I hear the next KBBS release is going to be packaged in perfume sample bottles. That way they can do 6 packs for $15 and still be under secondary.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

danbanana posted:

I generally stick to Rev, Half Acre, and Off Color because I'm that dude.

But I generally enjoy Maplewood's stuff, especially their pale ales. Marz does good things even though the price point is higher.

Are you in the city itself or burbs?

In the city itself, but I'll be driving around the city/south suburbs today. I hit up Half Acre and Revolution's breweries for stuff to take home already, since they were my favorites back when. Amazingly, Marz and Off Color actually distribute to where I live now (Louisville, KY).

I'll look at Maplewood. There is just so much "Chicago" poo poo and I haven't kept up with the trends.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

What's "can't miss" in LA? I'm staying in Orange for two nights and West Hollywood for a couple more. Breweries, bars, anything else?

Probably going to at least get to Bottle Logic since its a relatively close lyft from where I'll be staying. Everything else is so spread out I don't know whats worth visiting. Got my eye on Monkish and Highland Park but I don't know if I'll feel like driving all the way out somewhere that I can only have a flight at.

Highland Park is well worth the effort, for sure don't miss it

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

Papa John Misty posted:

Highland Park for real do not question me

Alright it's ~$15 ride out there, if it's that good I'll go for it. Any difference between the Chinatown/Highland Park locations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Aramoro posted:

The dessert stouts really get me. Like it's not as if they're hard to make. Make a stout and throw a bunch of poo poo in it, done. They're not using novel processes or rare ingredients. Like the Goose Island Barrel Aged Vanilla Stout, I get that's expensive as it's barrel aged etc and that costs money. They seem to be selling for ~$150 fair enough, but then I see people selling Three Floyds Marshmallow Handjee for $800 a bottle. Some of the Angry Chair stuff doesn't even seem to be barrel aged, it's just beer and it's north of a $100 a bottle. But it's rare I guess.

Brewing isn't rocket science, just look at how the Rare Barrel got their sour program up and running - 3 "base" sours malt bills, then add whatever fruit you want. Speciation, an up-and-coming sour brewery in Michigan, does the exact same thing.

Granted, if you're a poo poo brewer, your base will suck, but it's really not that hard for these breweries to brew one giant batch of a base beer and make adjunct changes to them after the fact.

The possibilities are endless.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 20, 2018