Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Serotonin posted:

Hmm. The closest to nearest painted is world eaters. Not quite sure I've got quite enough time depending on what counts as painted. Although I've only actually got two character models unpainted and even they have base paint on.

Do it. I believe in you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do it. I believe in you.

Challenge accepted.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Elysian Drop Troops are being squatted. Forgeworld has added them to the 'Last Change to Buy' category.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
RIP Lawn Dartsmen

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Endman posted:

The Elysian Drop Troops are being squatted. Forgeworld has added them to the 'Last Change to Buy' category.

Motherfucker those were the coolest guardsmen! I have the copy of White Dwarf with them fighting a Speed Freeks army. I guess they're basically usurped by the Scions now but what a drat shame. :(

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
At least they added a cool new mechanized transport for Imperial bullet catchers https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-AU/Aurox-Pattern-Armoured-Transport-2018

Behold the mighty firepower of a single heavy subber.

(I like the model though)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Deleter posted:

Motherfucker those were the coolest guardsmen! I have the copy of White Dwarf with them fighting a Speed Freeks army. I guess they're basically usurped by the Scions now but what a drat shame. :(

It’s ok, they’ll still be easy to buy.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

DancingShade posted:

At least they added a cool new mechanized transport for Imperial bullet catchers https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-AU/Aurox-Pattern-Armoured-Transport-2018

Looks lik a 40-50 point transport reminiscent of an early Rhino for £58.

Well Solar Auxilia players are used to everything being super expensive.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

only trust your fists, crowd sourcing will never help you

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Meanwhile the Elysian Drop Troops are going away. :(
Still wish I had the guilt free funds to buy at least one squad or team of them.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
They're apparently LCtBing a bunch of Solars Aux stuff as well.

I'm assuming (hoping) that it's a die re-tool since they just released the Aurox?

:ohdear:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Should I get the box of 10 Reivers so I can either field 5 with knives or 5 with carbines? I'd imagine it's not worth fielding 10 at a time. I play a gunline mostly, but I'd like to be able to put pressure on pests in my opponents backline, especially those in high buildings

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Schadenboner posted:

They're apparently LCtBing a bunch of Solars Aux stuff as well.

It's because they're squatting Imperial Guard, FW just hosed up and put the notice out too early.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Thanqol posted:

It's because they're squatting Imperial Guard, FW just hosed up and put the notice out too early.

This would be cool if they also changed it so Primaris Marines cost as much per model as Guardsmen used to.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Thanqol posted:

Damnit, jiggled again.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

This would be cool if they also changed it so Primaris Marines cost as much per model as Guardsmen used to.

In points, yes. In dollars, no.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Someone tell me I am dumb/smart for thinking about shelving my Primaris project to put together a Necron force for NOVA.

Are there any big, dumb, expensive Forgeworld things that take up a lot of points but are good?

I think necrons have like 2 things that are possibly sweet from forgeworld. I dont think the centipede looking things are questionable but they do look awesome.

The Pylon has already been spoken about, a very neat centerpiece for a necron army, and the only viable lord of war up until the codex. Now the vault could be a more competitive choice, but even it doesn't compare to the anti-vehicle power a gauss pylon puts out.

The other model you might want to look into would be the tesseract ark. It has a 5++ save and quantum shields, which just make it a huge pain to kill. It has a gun that shoots in 3 modes: flamer, assault cannon, and a heavy D6 S8 -3 D6 damage lascannon. 260 points for what may be one of the better antivehicle guns in the army. It also blows up real easy because the gun I mentioned is apparently a 'stable' tesseract power source.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

It does for me. I just select Cawl as my warlord, then give it to someone else.

Hmm, that's odd. Once I make Cawl my warlord, if there's any attempt to give my Tech-Priest Dominus a Relic, it makes the roster invalid and says: "Roster has 1 too many selections of Relic. (maximum 1)."

I'll trust you guys. I just assumed you got 1 Relic in your Army. If you didn't have Cawl, you got to pick one and put it on a character. If you took Cawl, his Relic counted as your Relic. It made sense to me at the time.

Thanks for the clarification.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I could be mistaken, but it's only warlord traits that require you take the unique trait a character has if you make them your warlord, whereas if a character has a unique relic they dont *need* to take it over other relics. Also I dont believe that theres any situation where making a model your warlord demands that you also take a relic for them; characters usually just have their fancy named toys baseline.

Checking battlescribe myself it seems like Cawl's addition was just poorly formatted in general; typically when you make a character a warlord they immediately get their trait added to the sheet with no choice on your part (and if they dont have a unique you get a new list of choices added below the warlord toggle), whereas with Cawl making him a warlord then requires you click the warlord trait (this is usually reserved for leader models in units to customize them separately), then having to pick his unique trait despite having a list of other incompatible traits available (unless AM can give warlords multiple traits?). I imagine the relic situation is similarly sloppy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I really hope GW puts out an army builder soon.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

TheBigAristotle posted:

Should I get the box of 10 Reivers so I can either field 5 with knives or 5 with carbines? I'd imagine it's not worth fielding 10 at a time. I play a gunline mostly, but I'd like to be able to put pressure on pests in my opponents backline, especially those in high buildings

I did this. I honestly prefer the carbines for look and performance. But having a couple of units to drop on backlines/objectives is a good idea, and Primaris in cover are hard to shift.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Battlescribe is generally pretty good (IMO the android app is miles ahead of the PC version in terms of accessibility), it's just that expensive units (generally forgeworld stuff) typically get sloppier additions and revisions because there's fewer people focusing on getting them up to date (on account of their niche existence).

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I really hope GW puts out an army builder soon.

It is pretty insane that they don't, honestly. Even one that had a nominal fee that actually got updated when the new books release wouldn't be bad. I definitely goof around on Battlescribe on my phone more than I play games.

Although I am glad there isn't a 6x4 table in the bathroom at work.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It is pretty insane that they don't, honestly. Even one that had a nominal fee that actually got updated when the new books release wouldn't be bad. I definitely goof around on Battlescribe on my phone more than I play games.

That's a lot of boxes you're taking into the restroom with you, Lord_Hambrose. Is everything ...ok?

:stare:

E: Actually, we could make this work. What are the dimentions of those 'Koala Care" changing stations?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

EvilBeard posted:

Hmm, that's odd. Once I make Cawl my warlord, if there's any attempt to give my Tech-Priest Dominus a Relic, it makes the roster invalid and says: "Roster has 1 too many selections of Relic. (maximum 1)."

I'll trust you guys. I just assumed you got 1 Relic in your Army. If you didn't have Cawl, you got to pick one and put it on a character. If you took Cawl, his Relic counted as your Relic. It made sense to me at the time.

Thanks for the clarification.

Hrm. That's weird. I'm using the PC version, so maybe that's what's doing it? Here's a screen grab - no error messages.

You get 1 free relic per army, unless you have a way of taking more. As far as I'm aware, the named weapons on characters don't count as relics, and you're free to give a relic from the list to another character. It just specifies that named characters can never replace their wargear with relics.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Even if you're not into Warmachine/Hordes, take a look at the Battleroom 2 app they put out. Privateer Press's official app has the complete rules for all models, tracking of every model you own and every model you've painted, and you can use that tracking to simplify building an army. And it has in game support too, including wound tracking and connecting to your opponants army if he's using the app too.

The fee is not nominal. While the basic units from their beginners kits have free rules, for complete armies it's something like $10 per army. The bundle for every unit in the game is around $100. The fee includes all rules for new models released within the edition (save 5-6 year life cycle as GW). And it auto updates the rules when changes are made.

GW probably won't do this because they want to sell codexes. But they should. It puts the old way of keeping army rules up to date (going through with a pen and stick notes) to shame.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
Edit: misread never mind

DotyManX fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 20, 2018

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Building a WarmaHordes app is way easier, though.

Pick your unit.
Does it have the Minimum Number of Guys, or the Maximum Number?
Does it have a Unit Attachment?

That's literally it. No force organizations, no weapons options, no special little equipment options for your Warcaster.

40K you have to also deal with "Up to 2 nerds in this squad can replace XYZ War gear with ABC options" and tons of specialty logic along those lines.

Before I knew BattleScribe was a thing I mulled around the idea of building my own list builder for just my own faction and quickly said "gently caress this".

GW making an official app would be a huge project they have to outsource and support when it's implemented incorrectly or needs modifications.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 20, 2018

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Only downside with the War Room app is loading the rules passages is slow as hell because it just loads the whole rules PDF into a lovely reader sub-app. The old version was much faster where they had it as just text. Most ability rules are just rendered on the cards, of course.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Building a WarmaHordes app is way easier, though.

Pick your unit.
Does it have the Minimum Number of Guys, or the Maximum Number?
Does it have a Unit Attachment?

That's literally it. No force organizations, no weapons options, no special little equipment options for your Warcaster.

40K you have to also deal with "Up to 2 nerds in this squad can replace XYZ War gear with ABC options" and tons of specialty logic along those lines.

Before I knew BattleScribe was a thing I mulled around the idea of building my own list builder for just my own faction and quickly said "gently caress this".

GW making an official app would be a huge project they have to outsource [b] and [/] support when it's implemented incorrectly or needs modifications.

Absolutely, the way Warmachine/Hordes is designed makes it easier to build an app. They still have to deal with groups, attachments, casters who change form etc. and all sorts of oddball rules, but nothing on the level of equiping war gear on individual models.

So a 40k app would be a lot more work. And yes, GW will have to ourtsource parts of it.

They absolutely should do it, and as part of the effort build an inhouse team to support the app going forward.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Endman posted:

dont worry, anvil industry has you covered

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Council Marine heads with the Load Vest bodies look fukkin sw8:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
They should have given elysian troops conehead helmets.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Warmachine app works well from what I remember, but the Malifaux one is great.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

Hrm. That's weird. I'm using the PC version, so maybe that's what's doing it? Here's a screen grab - no error messages.

You get 1 free relic per army, unless you have a way of taking more. As far as I'm aware, the named weapons on characters don't count as relics, and you're free to give a relic from the list to another character. It just specifies that named characters can never replace their wargear with relics.

I hadn't refreshed my data for the FAQ. It must've updated in the last day or so. Updating to the FAQ version fixed that issue.

It's good to know I can get a free relic now.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Beer4theBeerGod finish your Primaris Marines. It will be worth it, I am mad at myself for not starting them sooner.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Are las/missile vendreads as good as they seem?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Artum posted:

Are las/missile vendreads as good as they seem?

They seem like overpriced garbage so yes?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Uroboros posted:

Beer4theBeerGod finish your Primaris Marines. It will be worth it, I am mad at myself for not starting them sooner.

I will. Tentative plan is to get 1K done, then add big stompy robots, then see how much time I have left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, loving GW, get your poo poo together.

According to the community team posting on facebook, they've talked to the people in the studio and say that even though the FAQ wording says that units redeploying count as having arrived from reserves, they don't really, so you can use things like upon wings of fire or da jump to deep strike outside your deployment zone turn 1.

quote:

This is direct from the studio, Logan: 'Treat these units as having arrived from reserves' which really is shorthand for 'these units cannot move again for any reason (including Warptime) and counts as having moved for firing heavy weapons.'.