Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
just talk to jim about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sepist posted:

This got overlooked but :lol: sorry that happened to you.

Must've been a hell of an offer or you guys are quite dysfunctional.

I've been put in charge as leading a few projects here but my bosses boss keeps referring me to people and using their short name like I will understand who these people are in a company of thousands of which I interact with 3 or 4. Like dude tell me their full loving name I just started.

Well I honestly would not be surprised if there wasn't actually another offer on the table and he just lied and ran for the hills.
We used to be a team of 12 that was short 2 people.
Today, it was just me and my coworker in the office. Things here are hella dysfunctional.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Condolences on your Ford Ranger, Charlie.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

adorai posted:

just talk to jim about that.

:argh:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That $250 paycheck direct deposited a month from now is gonna be hella sweet

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Taking my eJPT test next Tuesday, then working on the eCPPT, the CEH for HR purposes, and then the OSCP.

Learning a lot!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well I honestly would not be surprised if there wasn't actually another offer on the table and he just lied and ran for the hills.
We used to be a team of 12 that was short 2 people.
Today, it was just me and my coworker in the office. Things here are hella dysfunctional.

Yeah, I'm going to go with "he bailed."

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Sepist posted:

I've been put in charge as leading a few projects here but my bosses boss keeps referring me to people and using their short name like I will understand who these people are in a company of thousands of which I interact with 3 or 4. Like dude tell me their full loving name I just started.

My boss did this when I started ~6 months ago and I finally had to just straight up say at the end of the first week, "I don't know who that is and I'm not sure why anyone would think I know who that is. You usually won't have to tell me something multiple times but you do have to tell me AT LEAST ONCE."

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Sepist posted:

This got overlooked but :lol: sorry that happened to you.

Must've been a hell of an offer or you guys are quite dysfunctional.

Have you ever taken a job and within the first day or two you realize that everything they said in the interview was a sham and they are in fact a directionless garbage company with little to no process control with a terrible culture?

My last gig was like that. I knew within the first two days that I had made a horrible mistake. But I stuck with it in the hopes that I could be the change. Nope. poo poo company with poo poo culture likes being lovely.

So glad I’m out of there. Didn’t even make it a year.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

very stable genius posted:

Have you ever taken a job and within the first day or two you realize that everything they said in the interview was a sham and they are in fact a directionless garbage company with little to no process control with a terrible culture?

My last gig was like that. I knew within the first two days that I had made a horrible mistake. But I stuck with it in the hopes that I could be the change. Nope. poo poo company with poo poo culture likes being lovely.

So glad I’m out of there. Didn’t even make it a year.

That was my last company. Good people just piss poor management since its operated by the sales guys.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sepist posted:

Good people just piss poor management since its operated by the sales guys.

This is truly the darkest timeline.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Vargatron posted:

Condolences on your Ford Ranger, Charlie.

Mr. Ranger was such a good truck. :(

Someone just pulled my coworker into their office for 15 minutes because they couldn't get to their favorite mahjong website.
Are you loving serious right now? gently caress off with that poo poo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Mr. Ranger was such a good truck. :(

Someone just pulled my coworker into their office for 15 minutes because they couldn't get to their favorite mahjong website.
Are you loving serious right now? gently caress off with that poo poo.

Hey I drive a ford ranger! It only has 160k miles, could potentially fall apart at any time (not really but maybe), and the suspension is completely hosed because I used to haul busted concrete to the dump with it.

One day I'll have a vehicle that is less than 10 years old, maybe.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
In a weird chance of scheduled vacations, sickness, and family emergencies the entire helpdesk/desktop/whatever staff isn't here today. Nobody is around to do anything basic. Someone just asked me for an extension cord 20 minutes ago and I told them they have as much knowledge of extension cord storage as I do. No, I am dealing with new relic synthetics today, I don't give a gently caress that your keyboard is broken.

I got my new "office" which is just these fancy glass panel walls all around it. Its like I am in a fish bowl. This office does have a door though and I have locked it. People now knock on the door and I look at them in the eye as I shake my head and keep doing what I am doing. I am about to print off a sign that says "Sickening doesn't do that". The only 5 people above me in the chain of command and only the CFO is here today.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
These things may not be your job, but you'd be wrong if you think your coworkers care.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

These things may not be your job, but you'd be wrong if you think your coworkers care.

See that is the wonderful thing, I don't care if they don't care. Its a care battle and my locked office door trumps it all. I don't give a poo poo if they form a mob outside my office with loving pitchforks. I got my wireless headphones on and doing what I set out to do today while posting on something awful. Today is a good day.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The new lead developer we hired last week quit already. I’m assuming he got a better opportunity elsewhere because this company is cool as hell and he seemed genuinely into it at the lunch and learn we did last week on Kotlin.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

In a weird chance of scheduled vacations, sickness, and family emergencies the entire helpdesk/desktop/whatever staff isn't here today. Nobody is around to do anything basic. Someone just asked me for an extension cord 20 minutes ago and I told them they have as much knowledge of extension cord storage as I do. No, I am dealing with new relic synthetics today, I don't give a gently caress that your keyboard is broken.

I got my new "office" which is just these fancy glass panel walls all around it. Its like I am in a fish bowl. This office does have a door though and I have locked it. People now knock on the door and I look at them in the eye as I shake my head and keep doing what I am doing. I am about to print off a sign that says "Sickening doesn't do that". The only 5 people above me in the chain of command and only the CFO is here today.

I don't know why but this seems so specific to IT. If all of AR is out, you don't go asking the CFO to do AR's job. If the warehouse manager is out, the VP of Operations isn't suddenly on the floor directing production. If the helpdesk is out, the IT Director doesn't just take over as helpdesk

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

“Why are you making this so difficult? Do your job! This is affecting production!”

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Kashuno posted:

I don't know why but this seems so specific to IT. If all of AR is out, you don't go asking the CFO to do AR's job. If the warehouse manager is out, the VP of Operations isn't suddenly on the floor directing production. If the helpdesk is out, the IT Director doesn't just take over as helpdesk

But if the Janitor calls in sick you are sure as hell going to get the CTO to clean the toilets!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kashuno posted:

I mean, I would ask the CFO to handle something if the entire finance department is out, but then again we're on the same work trivia team.

It is amazing how everybody just assumes IT is the catch-all for "I don't know who to ask about this" stuff though. We just got done with an office move and the amount of people asking me questions about their desks and chairs was loving astounding. The office manager would send out an e-mail with info and people would literally walk to my desk to ask me questions about it.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 19, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sickening posted:

This is beautful, I salute you "Give No Fucks Man", for you are the hero we need.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Inspector_666 posted:

The office manager would send out an e-mail with info and people would literally walk to my desk to ask me questions about it.

In our org when this happens it's kind of understandable because we spent effort creating documentation for Facilities/Building Management to set up desks in a standard config with monitors, dock, kb/m etc and they handle it all now. Way cheaper to pay a facilities contractor to plug in cables and crawl under desks than a level 1 IT tech (in our part of the country at least). So we get confusion around who handles what in this regard (mostly new hires and desk moves).

My favorite is when I spend an hour crafting simple but effective documentation with screenshots and an email about an upcoming change, and they reply asking something that's already in the email.

Now we send-as the "ITNoReply" mailbox which has an auto-reply "This isn't monitored, please go to the IT Service Bar Walk-Up or call the IT phone number".

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 19, 2018

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

very stable genius posted:

The new lead developer we hired last week quit already. I’m assuming he got a better opportunity elsewhere because this company is cool as hell and he seemed genuinely into it at the lunch and learn we did last week on Kotlin.

It's national quit your new job week. The reverse-YOTJ

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so i just discovered GAM and about 45 minutes worth of scripting later I automated all the gsuite departure items

I'm weirdly miffed that all this time I had no idea that this tool was out there. Sooooo much time wasted, agh.

The worst part is, some folks on my team knew about gam and even had some custom scripts for it and I guess just never told anyone while the rest of us peons were slaving away manually :v:

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

The worst part is, some folks on my team knew about gam and even had some custom scripts for it and I guess just never told anyone while the rest of us peons were slaving away manually :v:

It's above your pay grade :smug:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My issue with GAM is that Google won't go near it and their 'official' way to do something they haven't exposed in the pretty awful UI is to write calls against the API. They could really do with a web-based console for G Suite that they document and are happy to support.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

The Iron Rose posted:

so i just discovered GAM

I had pretty good luck with GAM and some very basic tasks. I used it to backup a bunch of settings and update group members for hundreds of groups, and it was VERY slow for this sort of thing. I'm sure someone with some real scripting skill could have made it go much faster for me, but it took hours to run every day.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
gShell is pretty great too, although GAM actually has some more robust stuff I wish gShell integrated (GAM can check if a thing is a group or user and gives you more control over group permissions.)

gShell is way easier to integrate into the rest of your Powershell stuff and has much better error reporting, though. Writing a wrapper for GAM that scraped the output and regex'd error codes felt so wrong.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 19, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thanks for the links, we're migrating to G Suite later this year and this is useful.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

I had pretty good luck with GAM and some very basic tasks. I used it to backup a bunch of settings and update group members for hundreds of groups, and it was VERY slow for this sort of thing. I'm sure someone with some real scripting skill could have made it go much faster for me, but it took hours to run every day.

If it was over ~5000 api calls Google probably rate limited your account. you can get around this by setting up multiple gsuite admins by feeding multiple oauth2.txt files into your script. For only a few hundred groups... might be worth expanding the amount of GAM threads to 20 rather than the default 5?

https://github.com/jay0lee/GAM/wiki/BulkOperations

^^ the wiki has a very good teardown of a way to parallelize (parallelise?) large operations too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Kashuno posted:

But it's all just "computers"! You do "computers", right?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Darchangel posted:

But it's all just "computers"! You do "computers", right?

gently caress I wish it was all just computers.
In my experience it's anything that runs on electricity.
...and furniture.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Doesn’t in house IT control the thermostat? Fix it. It’s too cold in here.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

jaegerx posted:

Doesn’t in house IT control the thermostat? Fix it. It’s too cold in here.

We actually do. :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Most of our stats are fake. They were installed so employees could raise and lower without affecting the temp at all. Shh

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The office thermostat at my old job was located in the Controller's office, who was going through menopause. It was either a meat locker or felt like the surface of the sun.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

isn't it lovely when the first thing you do to fix a problem actually works?

Our WSUS server synchronized yesterday and downloaded about 5000 new updates with no status before crashing and 503'ing all over the place.

Restarting the WSUSPool application pool and bumping up the fault tolerances brought it back online pretty much within 5 minutes. Still not sure what the gently caress about the other 6000 updates, but it's online and that's the important part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Vargatron posted:

The office thermostat at my old job was located in the Controller's office, who was going through menopause. It was either a meat locker or felt like the surface of the sun.

My old office, before I started working remote 100%, had its temp controlled by a secretary who sat right outside a conference room kept at 60 degrees (I don’t know why it was kept so low). Because she refused to wear a sweater or jacket in the summer she would crank her thermostat way up. There were 2 of us shoved in to an 8x8 office with 3 PCs, 5 monitors, and a coffee maker. It wasn’t unusual for my office to hit 85 on a hot summer day which wasn’t fun when you had to wear dress shirts every day. We asked maintenance to disconnect our heat but they refused.