Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Edit: my husband thinks that he thinks I'm his mom because he will almost never leave my side and whenever I fall asleep on my stomach he gives me back massages from kneeding my back.

Sounds like your cat is in normal working order. Most cats have a particular favorite person, and Maine Coons besides being huge are known for being friendly and cuddly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
HEHEH Yeah if he's not ontop of my back hes laying by my feet and nipping my ankles or laying on the floor right next to me - He's right next to my bike right now and giving me the girliest meow I have ever heard! - He picked the right porch to howl on - I couldn't resist him.

Edit: Added a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDxV6G_ilw0

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 20, 2018

Handcranked
Aug 17, 2013

Organza Quiz posted:

A bengal/maine coon sounds like an absolute menace in the best possible way, please post pics of all the poo poo she gets up to. For now just spend time just quietly hanging out in the same room as her and let her decide when to interact with you.

Our little bengoon being an rear end in a top hat

So an update on Lil farty, had a vet check up on her at the same time she was in for her second shot, and everything was looking good.
She apparently loves taking car rides, she slept the whole way there, and home, wich is kinda shocking, because our previous cat hated cars furiously.
And, yes, she is an absolute god drat menace, she apparently loves heights, and playing fetch, and waking us up at 4 AM...

Edit: Oh, and heres a list of stuff shes destroyed the past two months
1. Some designer window decorations that my fiancee spent too much money on (Gave farty some treats for this one because i hated those loving things, good girl)
2. Two of my bluetooth headphones, and a couple of phone chargers
3. Some wallpaper in our bedroom, when she fell down from on top of our bedroom door
4. A clothes rack
5. Numerous tiny springs and screws have gone missing from stuff im working on at home
6. All our strings on our window blinds are currently either missing, or torn

Handcranked fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 20, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

HEHEH Yeah if he's not ontop of my back hes laying by my feet and nipping my ankles or laying on the floor right next to me - He's right next to my bike right now and giving me the girliest meow I have ever heard! - He picked the right porch to howl on - I couldn't resist him.

Edit: Added a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDxV6G_ilw0

Yup, sounds like a Maine Coon to me. Congratulations on your cuddlemonster.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hey all. Sancho is seemingly on a puke schedule. Every 7-8 days he pukes. So much so that on Wednesday I said to my fiancé “he’s due” and a shirt while later he did. My fiancé says that cats just puke sometimes but I think we should take him to the eat. Opinions?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

Hey all. Sancho is seemingly on a puke schedule. Every 7-8 days he pukes. So much so that on Wednesday I said to my fiancé “he’s due” and a shirt while later he did. My fiancé says that cats just puke sometimes but I think we should take him to the eat. Opinions?

Puking every 7-8 days seems pretty normal. Your fiance is right - cats just puke sometimes and it's not clear as to why. If he's otherwise healthy, don't worry about it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Check the puke, is there a bunch of hair in it? Since the weather is changing they might be shedding, and way more regular brushing might help.

Milly only gets pukey after a good brushing session since she has to fix all of the fur I touched. Sometimes its just a hairball, sometimes hairball with food, sometimes just water with a little bit of hair in it. Cats.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

nunsexmonkrock posted:

This kitty was howling on my porch - So I took him in - his microchip was never registered (it was installed somewhere in the Suburbs - I live in deep south philly). The place it was installed at couldn't tell me whose cat it was, contacted the ASPCA, PAWS and Project Meow along with posting flyers - no one ever claimed him - my Kitty now. We named him Pound Cake - we think he is part Main Coon because of his size. - he's only estimated to be no more than 2yo but probably around 1yo - FIV/Felv free and he uses the litter box properly.

Edit: my husband thinks that he thinks I'm his mom because he will almost never leave my side and whenever I fall asleep on my stomach he gives me back massages from kneeding my back.

What a handsome boy and a great name!!

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
^^^^ Yeah it took a lot of me arguing to agree on a name - my husband wanted to name him something stupid - but then he just shouted out "Pound Cake" and then I agreed. I've been up since 6am and Poundy is still sleeping ont the bed where my feet normally go.... not gonna bother him and just leave him alone - one because I want to let him rest and 2 because by hands and forhead are covered in purple manic panic.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pound Cake is wonderful and I hope you keep us posted on his adventures.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

It’s usually water with some freshly eaten food. It’s always after he eats in the morning.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

My cat gets matted during the summer. Definitely Google this, you can snip skin folds twisted up in the matt. Sometimes it's not too bad to try to snip the matt perpendicular. The trick is to tear the matt from the base. If you're pulling apart from the top and break through the knot you will make kitty very unhappy. I recommend using a fork to pierce the knots and if it seems pliable, gently pull out from the base, possibly holding the skin back so it doesn't pull out, but yah, poke a bunch of holes in it and it'll break up easier. Get a Furminator.

Thank you for this. I managed to cut out some of the easier mats, but now that I'm getting into the more entrenched ones she's starting to dislike the scissors. I have a knockoff furminator and remove about a cat's worth of hair every time I go in to check on/groom her. I'll try some perpendicular cuts. At the very least, when she gets spayed I'm going to ask the vet to shave off all her mats while she's under.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Not a bad idea. Seriously, try the fork too, though, it's easy to scrape along their skin and get up under the mat and anesthetic won't always be available so you'll need to get used to the maintenance.

The other thing is that while mats can be painful (my foofy one gets then under her armpits a lot), some breeds can self manage their coat or aren't as bothered by it...Sometimes the mats just grow out.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

Not a bad idea. Seriously, try the fork too, though, it's easy to scrape along their skin and get up under the mat and anesthetic won't always be available so you'll need to get used to the maintenance.

The other thing is that while mats can be painful (my foofy one gets then under her armpits a lot), some breeds can self manage their coat or aren't as bothered by it...Sometimes the mats just grow out.

Sarah is a foster, she's going back to her original owner (grumble) after she weans the kittens and is spayed. Nonetheless, getting her used to grooming is something that I'm going to try and do.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Pound Cake is wonderful and I hope you keep us posted on his adventures.

Sure will - this was his adventure today! Not very exciting - whenever he attacks the cat tree he's finished by the time I can find my phone to turn it on and record.

He's definitly happy inside and gives no fucks about anything.

Deteriorata posted:

Puking every 7-8 days seems pretty normal. Your fiance is right - cats just puke sometimes and it's not clear as to why. If he's otherwise healthy, don't worry about it.

Mine one cat pukes because I keep him on a diet and gorges himself - I have tried so many things to make him slow down eating but he doesn't want to use any of them and just constantly meows at me until I put the food in a plate or in a bowl. Then he vomits it up from gorging and eats what he vomited - silly cat.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 21, 2018

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

This looks like a big awesome happy cat.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Sure will - this was his adventure today! Not very exciting - whenever he attacks the cat tree he's finished by the time I can find my phone to turn it on and record.

He's definitly happy inside and gives no fucks about anything.

i would 100% lose my hands because i would not be able to resist THAT FLOOFY BELLY :kimchi:

quote:

Mine one cat pukes because I keep him on a diet and gorges himself - I have tried so many things to make him slow down eating but he doesn't want to use any of them and just constantly meows at me until I put the food in a plate or in a bowl. Then he vomits it up from gorging and eats what he vomited - silly cat.

yep is catte, cannot fix.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay actually you can do something. feed your cat one spoonful of food at a time

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay actually you can do something. feed your cat one spoonful of food at a time

Tell that to my porch kitty and he will bite your face off, not really, but really

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

At the vet with Pepper because she was being a sadsack under my bed instead of eating dinner. Only thing the vet could feel was that she has some lower back pain and a fever, so he’s giving her pain meds to see if that lowers her fever.

He did compliment her a lot on being the most compliant cat he’d ever examined so there is that. There better not be anything really wrong with her :(

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

nunsexmonkrock posted:

You not only look very eerily like me, but so does your cat.

Goddammit. I'm never going to find the right buy to marry and I'm going to die alone living with cats, aren't I? :sigh:

And Jackie looks SOOOO much like Pound Cake, and is also part Maine Coon. Here are a couple pics of Jackie:

You must admit there is some resemblance. I mean, Jackie is 12 so she's a bit bigger and she's polydactyl... I couldn't tell if your kitty was...

Anyway I'm more jealous. I may have a cat who considers me her mom but I don't have a husband. Can't seem to figure out that secret. I *could* have a husband, actually, I can think of one rich and successful but not so attractive man who may say yes and another younger much more sexually attractive guy who probably would say yes after 3 months. Maybe I am just afraid of making the EFFORT

but dammit. i dont wanna die alone and i really want to be part of a family again :cry:

PS: On a happier note, regarding Jackie's floofy bellly fur, YES she will let pretty much amyone bury their famcdx xvklls

kaworu fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 21, 2018

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

What's wrong with being single with cats??

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Beats the poo poo out of being single without cats.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Lucy's just woken me up at 4am Needing To Hunt Something. She's currently chasing shadows throughout the flat because I can't find the catnip mouse on a string be swayed.

I'm happy, though. Bolting up and down the place is a sign she's claimed it as hers.

Gorgar posted:

Beats the poo poo out of being single without cats.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

They kept her overnight and said she’s much better this morning and can come home, but also she’s a little anemic and has elevated calcium so I need to take her to her regular vet to check for cancer (they can’t find any lumps or anything). Well gently caress. Someone tell me there’s other reasons for elevated calcium.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Organza Quiz posted:

They kept her overnight and said she’s much better this morning and can come home, but also she’s a little anemic and has elevated calcium so I need to take her to her regular vet to check for cancer (they can’t find any lumps or anything). Well gently caress. Someone tell me there’s other reasons for elevated calcium.

Thanking Mr. Skeltal to excess?

(I hope she turns out to be ok!)

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Organza Quiz posted:

The most common cause is idiopathic hypercalcemia, which means you can do all the testing in the world and you won’t find a cause. Usually not a big deal. It’s still a good idea to see your vet to make sure it’s not cancer, especially with the anemia and not feeling good, but odds are pretty good that it may be nothing serious.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Crooked Booty posted:

The most common cause is idiopathic hypercalcemia, which means you can do all the testing in the world and you won’t find a cause. Usually not a big deal. It’s still a good idea to see your vet to make sure it’s not cancer, especially with the anemia and not feeling good, but odds are pretty good that it may be nothing serious.

Thanks, yeah I'm hoping it ends up with lots of tests and nothing wrong at this stage. Good thing I didn't get around to cancelling the insurance that should be covering 80% of all this!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

In light of my normally, uh... voluble posts about my cat Jackie and nothing in particular, I would like to share a Haiku with you that I composed about my cat when I came home just now.

*ahem*

My cat meows like
A dying stoner coughing
His very last cough

*bows*

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's a good way with dealing with a cord chewing habit? I've heard some suggestions of bitter apple spray, but also heard that stuff doesn't always work and some cats can take a liking to it.

My little (lovable) monster has had some cord chewing habits over the time I've had him - they settled down for awhile but they've come back with a vengeance. Despite measures to hide the cords under towels and just trying to tuck them as away as possible he seems to be finding ways to get them out. The other night he chewed my headphone cord enough to break it - thankfully it's a replaceable cord - and again despite thinking I had tucked it away nice and good, he managed to chew the replacement in half overnight.

I can't really scold him after the fact, and slathering a cord in something might be tricky/messy for something like my headphone cord which moves around a lot. I suppose I could try with a decoy cord, but will that be good enough to associate cords = don't play with?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Oxyclean posted:

What's a good way with dealing with a cord chewing habit? I've heard some suggestions of bitter apple spray, but also heard that stuff doesn't always work and some cats can take a liking to it.

My little (lovable) monster has had some cord chewing habits over the time I've had him - they settled down for awhile but they've come back with a vengeance. Despite measures to hide the cords under towels and just trying to tuck them as away as possible he seems to be finding ways to get them out. The other night he chewed my headphone cord enough to break it - thankfully it's a replaceable cord - and again despite thinking I had tucked it away nice and good, he managed to chew the replacement in half overnight.

I can't really scold him after the fact, and slathering a cord in something might be tricky/messy for something like my headphone cord which moves around a lot. I suppose I could try with a decoy cord, but will that be good enough to associate cords = don't play with?

Coating cords in pepper, bitter apple, etc can work. So can covering the cord with something less tempting: corrugated conduit tubes for example, for stuff that doesn't move much like TV or charging cables, maybe embroidery thread for the headphone cable (it'll help keep them from tangling, too).

Also just don't leave headphones out as much as possible. They need to go in a drawer or box or bag now.

Sometimes shaking a can of pennies when you catch it helps stop the behavior. For me, it only stopped misbehavior when I was around. Some cats need to have the punishment come from On High to realize they should not be doing something.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Putting away the headphones can be a bit tricky since the cord runs behind my desk - while it detaches from both ends, I'd need somewhere to hide the cord on the desk unless I want to crawl behind and re-plug every time. Even then I fear he'd just graduate to chewing the mouse or keyboard cords which I think he may have already done a few times (and I now fear he may be in the process of doing right now as I'm at work.)

My cat is absolutely 100% worse about doing it when I'm not around. He's gone after cords while I'm at the desk but I'll usually shoo, swat, or evict him from my desk. Perhaps i've not been harsh enough but it's definitely of those things where I'll step away and come back to catch him in the act and he seemingly knows he shouldn't be doing it?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

Putting away the headphones can be a bit tricky since the cord runs behind my desk - while it detaches from both ends, I'd need somewhere to hide the cord on the desk unless I want to crawl behind and re-plug every time. Even then I fear he'd just graduate to chewing the mouse or keyboard cords which I think he may have already done a few times (and I now fear he may be in the process of doing right now as I'm at work.)

My cat is absolutely 100% worse about doing it when I'm not around. He's gone after cords while I'm at the desk but I'll usually shoo, swat, or evict him from my desk. Perhaps i've not been harsh enough but it's definitely of those things where I'll step away and come back to catch him in the act and he seemingly knows he shouldn't be doing it?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Just-Scentsational-8-oz-Bottle-of-Coyote-Urine-Small-Animal-Deterrent-RS-8/204497425

I'm not sure how it will make the room smell, but it will probably work.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Punishing him harder won’t do anything but make him sad and also make him work harder to do it when you aren’t there. You need a solution that makes the action itself unpleasant/unrewarding to do, like the upthread suggestions of bitter apple spray or covering the cords. I’d try the spray, just because it doesn’t work on every cat in the world doesn’t mean it isn’t worth trying.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I use this stuff, have to re-apply every month or so but it definitely works. Good god though don't get it on your hands or accidentally breath it while spraying it tastes awful. It has the same stuff they coat nintendo switch cartridges with.

https://www.amazon.com/Scratch-Spray-Bitter-Scratching-Furniture/dp/B078R4F8GV

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Boogalo posted:

I use this stuff, have to re-apply every month or so but it definitely works. Good god though don't get it on your hands or accidentally breath it while spraying it tastes awful. It has the same stuff they coat nintendo switch cartridges with.

https://www.amazon.com/Scratch-Spray-Bitter-Scratching-Furniture/dp/B078R4F8GV

How do you apply it / what would be a good way to do it? Spray a paper towel and rub down the cord with it?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Oxyclean posted:

How do you apply it / what would be a good way to do it? Spray a paper towel and rub down the cord with it?

I hold thing at arm's length by the end that plugs into something and spray away from myself or anything else I might touch. Couch works well since it deters scratching there too. It dries in a couple of hours and you're golden.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Update on Brutus, the purry happy couch monster who won't come out;

He's been observed sitting openly in the lounge for hours at a time. We also have unconfirmed reports of him playfighting with one of his probably-brothers.

It's progress! Thanks for the encouragement to stick it out; based on that I pushed my parents not to give up on him and while I'm not sure exactly if they would have otherwise, I'm sure it didn't hurt. Let's hope he acclimatises further.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Fedule posted:

Update on Brutus, the purry happy couch monster who won't come out;

He's been observed sitting openly in the lounge for hours at a time. We also have unconfirmed reports of him playfighting with one of his probably-brothers.

It's progress! Thanks for the encouragement to stick it out; based on that I pushed my parents not to give up on him and while I'm not sure exactly if they would have otherwise, I'm sure it didn't hurt. Let's hope he acclimatises further.

This is great news and it makes me happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

That's good progress! I'm sure he'll keep it up.