Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Iron Crowned posted:

Origin stories can be good, but we don't need them every drat time.

Right, and it doesn't happen every drat time. It happens when and to a narrative extent that filmmakers believe it's fertile ground for character development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Given all the hologram stuff Jem is based around you'd think you could get the Hatsune Miku people on board and steal some scripts from any one of the eighty zillion idol/magical girl animes.

Reminded of how the Josie and the Pussycats movie was apparently a brutal satire of the music industry that got zero marketing.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
An origin sequence for a super/bat/spider-man etc reboot could be done behind the opening credits and leave the film for something interesting

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

They're okay. They sort of feel like episodes of a non-existent Darkman television series from 1993.

However, they do reveal that Darkman now has this little train he rides around in the subway to get about New York.

There actually was a pilot for a Darkman TV series, starring Christopher Bowen and Larry Drake. It was 30 minutes long, and was a basic retelling of the movie, except it eliminated the character of Strack and Julie (!).

The four spin off novels from 94-95 were much better.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Surprised nobody mentioned John Wick as an example of a film that goes out of its way to NOT be an origin story, and actually appears to be telling the hero's journey in reverse as the series progresses.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Davros1 posted:

There actually was a pilot for a Darkman TV series, starring Christopher Bowen and Larry Drake. It was 30 minutes long, and was a basic retelling of the movie, except it eliminated the character of Strack and Julie (!).

There's a couple uploads online but they all seem to be lovely VHS rips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-af1-KXfDE

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

The original movie benefits enormously from Liam Neeson's bizarre facial expressions and weird accent.

Definitive Darkman scene.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Darkman never had a series, but this Marvel (technically Malibu) character have dozens of episodes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5LhB2X0cuA

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Batman '89 had the best origin sequence because the film starts with a mugger stalking a family down a dark alley and you think it's Joe Chill and the Waynes but then Batman swoops in and saves the family who turn out to just be some random people. The actual origin sequence is a brief flashback halfway through the film.

Superman 1978 takes a little more time to go through the whole Krypton and Smallville sequences but Superman pulls on the tights and is flying around Metropolis saving Lois from dying in a helicopter crash and catching criminals and getting a little girl's cat out of a tree (and dropping the worst quips) at a little over 1 hr after the opening credits.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

starkebn posted:

An origin sequence for a super/bat/spider-man etc reboot could be done behind the opening credits and leave the film for something interesting

The two superhero movies that did this were the 2008 Hulk movie and Batman v Superman. Neither one is particularly beloved.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Exterior. Gotham alley. Night. JOE CHILL approaches a wealthy family.

CHILL: Give me your money and your pearls as well!

THOMAS WAYNE: It's ok. Everything is ok. We'll give you what you want.

BRUCE WAYNE: Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot.

CHILL: What's this kid saying? Give me those pearls!

MARTHA: Oh no not my pearls!

(CHILL points the gun at MARTHA and reflexively THOMAS tries to wrestle it away)

BRUCE: To combat crime I'll have to be something more than a man, a symbol.

(CHILL shoots THOMAS and MARTHA, killing them)

BRUCE: I must become a bat

(JOE CHILL runs away, confused)

Interior. Gotham PD. POLICE COMMISSIONER GORDON comforts BRUCE

GORDON: Listen, son. We're gonna do everything we can to catch that guy. You're gonna be taken care of, I promise.

BRUCE: There's a storm gathering in this city, commissioner.

GORDON (beat): Let's- let's get you some hot chocolate.

(GORDON turns around to get a mug. The lights flicker. When he turns back around, BRUCE is no longer in his office)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Batman Begins seems like almost an afterthought nowadays compared to TDK and TDKR, though. (Not sure if the latter movie is necessarily better, but it's certainly interesting)

One of the things I like about TDKR is that I feel it's as much a direct sequel to Batman Begins as it is to TDK, with it building off stuff like Ra's al-Ghul and the League of Shadows and the legacy of Batman's training that TDK didn't touch at all. I feel like a lot of trilogy third-parts kind of just feel more like part two of two.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The original movie benefits enormously from Liam Neeson's bizarre facial expressions and weird accent.

Definitive Darkman scene.

The definitive Darkman scene is unquestionably Ted Raimi getting splattered

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Now I wanna watch Darkman, but I don't know if it's on Blu-ray :argh:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I've got it on HD-DVD! :downs:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Iron Crowned posted:

It looks like Shout! Factory has a blu!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Superman 1978 takes a little more time to go through the whole Krypton and Smallville sequences but Superman pulls on the tights and is flying around Metropolis saving Lois from dying in a helicopter crash and catching criminals and getting a little girl's cat out of a tree (and dropping the worst quips) at a little over 1 hr after the opening credits.

I know they were (mostly) filmed back to back, but was Superman always supposed to be two movies or was it intended as a big epic length feature with an intermission?

As I recall, replacement-director Lester had previously wanted to do a four-hour roadshow version of The Three Musketeers adapting the novel in full, but they split it up instead.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The MSJ posted:

Darkman never had a series, but this Marvel (technically Malibu) character have dozens of episodes?

Oh hey, the President is on this show

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It looks like Shout! Factory has a blu!

The Blu is amazing, and there's more special features than what's listed on the back. New interviews with Liam and Frances, for one. The only sad thing is there's nothing recent from Sam Raimi, only footage from an old EPK that came out when the movie was released.

Highlights: Frances talking about being unsure about about being interviewed for the Blu-Ray, until she asked her make up artist if he had ever heard of Darkman, and the make up artist saying how much he loved Darkman.

And Liam revealing that he still owns the hat and coat.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I have thought that Reboot was always terrible. I think it was just a product of it's time, CGI was new and neat and so were computers.

Origin stories can be good, but we don't need them every drat time. Pre-existing superheroes just tend to be the worst at it because most people have some concept of it through cultural osmosis.

I think a more modern origin story of Ghostbusters today would be starting at Venkman's childhood, and a fascination with decks of cards led him to be the skeeviest psychology professor in the tristate area.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The MSJ posted:

(Executive at Batman control panel)

(Turns “Bats” dial to 0)

(Turns “saxophone” dial to 11)

“I am a genius.”

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shageletic posted:

I think a more modern origin story of Ghostbusters today would be starting at Venkman's childhood, and a fascination with decks of cards led him to be the skeeviest psychology professor in the tristate area.

The first thing I thought of was Magic The Gathering.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

CHILL: Give me your money and your pearls as well!

THOMAS WAYNE: It's ok. Everything is ok. We'll give you what you want.

BRUCE WAYNE: Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot.

CHILL: What's this kid saying? Give me those pearls!

MARTHA: Oh no not my pearls!

(CHILL points the gun at MARTHA and reflexively THOMAS tries to wrestle it away)

BRUCE: To combat crime I'll have to be something more than a man, a symbol.

(CHILL shoots THOMAS and MARTHA, killing them)

BRUCE: I must become a bat

(JOE CHILL runs away, confused)

Interior. Gotham PD. POLICE COMMISSIONER GORDON comforts BRUCE

GORDON: Listen, son. We're gonna do everything we can to catch that guy. You're gonna be taken care of, I promise.

BRUCE: There's a storm gathering in this city, commissioner.

GORDON (beat): Let's- let's get you some hot chocolate.

(GORDON turns around to get a mug. The lights flicker. When he turns back around, BRUCE is no longer in his office)

What I like best about it is how time efficient it is.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Can we have that as an actual movie? With Gary Oldman and David Mazouz? Because that's how it's cast in my head.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know they were (mostly) filmed back to back, but was Superman always supposed to be two movies or was it intended as a big epic length feature with an intermission?

Donner did film the two movies together based on the massive script from (Godfather writer) Mario Puzo.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

It was decided to film both Superman and its sequel Superman II (1980) simultaneously, with principal photography beginning in March 1977 and ending in October 1978. Tensions arose between Donner and the producers, and a decision was made to stop filming the sequel, of which 75 percent had already been completed, and finish the first film.[4]

Lester's stuff is mostly reshoots to give the sequel a more comedic tone.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

whydirt posted:

Not casting Kesha as the lead of the Jem reboot was a missed opportunity.

Come one, she's perfect as Pizzazz!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IFFiU5GFnY

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

whydirt posted:

Not casting Kesha as the lead of the Jem reboot was a missed opportunity.

Isn't Kesha trying to get away from her previous image since it was a manufactured byproduct of sexual and emotional abuse?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

TWIST: Joe Chill never existed and Bruce killed his own parents to give himself a "reason" to be a monster.

(somebody's done this in the last 80 years right)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SimonCat posted:

Come on, she's perfect as Pizzazz!

This sounds like a folksy mom phrase.

"Mom, do I have to wear this? I feel so lame."
"Aw honey, you look as perfect as pizzazz!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thwomp posted:

Donner did film the two movies together based on the massive script from (Godfather writer) Mario Puzo.

From Wikipedia:

Right - so it was always intended as two movies, filmed back to back, rather than one big movie?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Thwomp posted:

Some director-for-hire stepping in to make a Superman movie "more comedic"? Unprecedented!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lester is probably a better director than Joss Whedon, though. Better track record going in, certainly.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Lester is probably a better director than Joss Whedon, though. Better track record going in, certainly.

Hard Day’s Night alone is better than everything Whedon has been associated with, and I’ll cop to Buffy and Angel being some of my favorite soap operas as a teenager. And that’s probably not Lester’s best movie

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh I wasn't insulting him at all.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Right - so it was always intended as two movies, filmed back to back, rather than one big movie?

They were actually filmed simultaneously , the Salklinds had done that before with their "The Three Musketeers" and "The Four Musketeers" film. And got into some legal trouble for the Musketeers films, since the paid everyone for just one film, since they were filming everything together.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This looks like big news. And big news has big guts. Rip and tear.

https://twitter.com/ninabergman/status/986377088989937664

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will cross my fingers in the hope that they make a good movie out of that. Mostly being a kickass space marine lady blasting the hell out of demons on Mars, if the most obvious solution I can think of comes to pass.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The MSJ posted:

Ooh I bet some movie marketing department is pissed as hell that news about this was revealed on Twitter

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Shooter Scene From Wreck-It Ralph Only Unironically: the Movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

:stwoon: