Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Darth Walrus posted:

Sri Lanka got away with it when they smashed the Tamils, didn’t they? I recognise that this may end up being a little more extreme, though.

Sri Lanka for all it's sins is not ethnically cleansing the Tamils away, or keeping them cordoned off in a statelet.
The Tamils are citizens of Sri Lanka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Grape posted:

Then I'm not sure how Israel is white supremacist against Arabs.
:shrug:

White people are supremacist against other, lesser whites all the time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DudeSlater/status/987011778818265089

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

If there's only one track then what's the lever even for?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The only difference between liberal and conservative zionists is the timetable.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Gilad Erdan cautions Natalie Portman that snubbing Israel is the first step towards becoming a sith lord:
https://twitter.com/giladerdan1/status/987386093631762432?s=19

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If there's only one track then what's the lever even for?

It's for show.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Gilad Erdan cautions Natalie Portman that snubbing Israel is the first step towards becoming a sith lord:
https://twitter.com/giladerdan1/status/987386093631762432?s=19

Is this a member of I sraeli government or something?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

quote:

Gilad Menashe Erdan (Hebrew: גִּלְעָד מְנַשֶּׁה אֶרְדָן‬, born 30 September 1970) is an Israeli politician who serves as a member of the Knesset for Likud and the Minister of Public Security, Strategic Affairs and Minister of Information.

Oh. So Israel has a literal fascist as the minister for public security. Cool. This crap that Erdogan would spout.

e: speaking of, my opinion about israel is now identical to my opinion of turkey.

lollontee fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 21, 2018

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i'm stoked to be a subject of queen neta-lee's dark sith diaspora

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Grape posted:

Hey buddy, I got another place with Greeks and Turks you might wanna check out. Where people are essentially pro-unification. Where people discuss right to return minus war drums, where ethnic cleansing occurred way more recently. And gosh it's like right next to Israel/Palestine too.

The Cyprus deal, which was rejected, doesn't let the refugees come back.

lollontee posted:

Boycotts, Disinvestment and Sanctions are in indeed discriminatory, they discriminate against an apartheid state that refuses to alter its policies. BDS discriminates against the only actors with the power to end the occupation. Which is Israel, in case you weren't aware. It is both right and correct to discriminate against those who, by their explicit behaviour and politics, deserve it.

BDS perpetuates the occupation by empowering the Israeli far right. It's like voting for Jill Stein in a swing state to "burn the system down." Lol indeed.

quote:

It's a bit rich to hear the people with absolutely all the power in this relationship claiming they're afraid of the people they oppress and enslave. Yeah, no poo poo, and you should be. Because you're the tyrants, and if you don't give up your power voluntarily, they will come and take it from you with violence. And guess what, negotiating for a peaceful resolution at that point will be a tad too late. Which I assume in your mind is the fault of the oppressed, yeah?

You're openly, eagerly hoping for violence, and giving the side that you claim has all the power zero incentive to negotiate.

Your Parents posted:

And don't even pretend, the only Jews who aren't white are the Ethiopians being sterilized and deported.

Behold, Benjamin Netanyahu's base. "White" Jews vote for the left in Israel, they're basically all Natalie Portman. (Who gave an excellent statement and I support 100%, and will have thousands of times the impact of BDS because she actually has credibility.)

mcmagic posted:

There IS NO peace process. There IS NO two state solution that would end up in any kind of equitable distribution. It's complete and utter fantasy land and a figleaf for people who know the status quo is morally unacceptable but don't really want to solve it.

Netanyahu keeps winning by razor thin margins, yet you're determined to give him a massive propaganda victory.

quote:

What are you trying to convince people of here?

That the actual affront to justice is to not treat all human lives as equal, and only care about abuses by certain parties while giving others complete passes. I didn't see you post a few weeks back when Assad killed a bunch of Palestinians.

quote:

At least BDS trying to apply pressure to make the status quo just a little bit uncomfortable for the perpetrators. Nothing else is...

You're advocating doing something for the sake of doing something, in the face of overwhelming evidence that it'll make the situation worse. There is a crystal clear path to ending the occupation and BDS is among the bigger obstacles to that happening.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Kim Jong Il posted:

You're advocating doing something for the sake of doing something, in the face of overwhelming evidence that it'll make the situation worse. There is a crystal clear path to ending the occupation and BDS is among the bigger obstacles to that happening.

Surely if you want to claim a reason to oppose BDS it'd be that it does nothing and is therefore unproductive. You yourself claimed that divestment had no effect in South Africa.

Oh, I get it. BDS empowers Likud. And Fatah empowers Likud, and Hamas empowers Likud, and Hezbollah empowers Likud, and Iran empowers Likud, and the terror of treating Palestinians as human beings empowers Likud. No doubt when all of those forces have been destroyed Israel will magnanimously grant an equitable peace.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
stop opposing fascists and they'll get bored and go away, sounds like a plan

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kim Jong Il posted:

BDS perpetuates the occupation by empowering the Israeli far right. It's like voting for Jill Stein in a swing state to "burn the system down." Lol indeed.

You're openly, eagerly hoping for violence, and giving the side that you claim has all the power zero incentive to negotiate.

For fucks sake man, listen to yourself. This is an argument a child would make. How can you be this stupid I cannot fathom, because I don't for a moment believe you're smart enough to be saying this ironically.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Go to your room and think about what you're saying!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Yeah see the issue is not opposing the far right would also empower them. You don't beat the bully by ignoring his attacks when the bully actually wants you dead (or at least ran out of town).

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

KJI is just a giant sand trap of a poster.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Kim Jong Il posted:

The Cyprus deal, which was rejected, doesn't let the refugees come back.

"The Cyprus Deal". The Annan Plan was in 2004, there's been ongoing current talks since like 2015. In which right of return issues are on the table.
These issues which aren't inherently blood soaked horror.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Israel is in the international assassination game again, allegedly:

Mossad Blamed for Death of Hamas-Affiliated Engineer in Malaysia

quote:

Hamas-affiliated Palestinian engineer from the Gaza Strip was shot dead on Saturday near the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur in an assassination blamed on the Mossad.

Hamas threatened retaliation against Israel for the slaying.

The dead man was an expert on attack-drone and rocket systems, according to Israeli sources.

Education Minister Naftali Bennett said Dr. Fadi Muhammad al-Batash must not be brought to burial in Gaza until bodies of Israeli soldiers Hadar Goldin and Oron Shaul are returned to Israel for proper burial.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

lollontee posted:

e: speaking of, my opinion about israel is now identical to my opinion of turkey.

Come on, Turkey got better food than us.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

sorry about your country :(

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/asafronel/status/987955083294990337?s=21

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Welp now we can actually have an official apartheid system and not just an implied one.
Does anybody feel like explaining to all us deluded cucks here how Israel is not as bad as old South Africa?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Welp now we can actually have an official apartheid system and not just an implied one.
Does anybody feel like explaining to all us deluded cucks here how Israel is not as bad as old South Africa?

"Israel managed to win."

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Not for long.
I remember going through the apartheid museum there was a massively armoured car on display, the regime there looked as imposing and powerful as can be too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So is this a genuine attack on Israeli Arabs? Because that seems like quite the escalation. Is there an English article on this?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Here's the relevant bit:

"The government may allow a community, including those of one religion or one nationhood, to have a separate communal settlement."

E: that sub clause is under "preservation of heritage" naturally.:jerkbag:
Also: this proposal is for a constitutional law which by it's nature overrides lesser laws.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 23, 2018

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

So is this a genuine attack on Israeli Arabs? Because that seems like quite the escalation. Is there an English article on this?

There isn't a recent one, partially because (as far as I can tell) it hasn't actually been passed yet, and it got coverage back when they first started discussing it months ago. Looks like it's going to be raised in the new Knesset session starting today, along with the bill for nerfing the Supreme Court's power and probably a few other things on the far-right's wish list. Seems like Bibi's coalition is shaky after all his big talk on deportation was torn to shreds, and now he needs to woo the extremist parties again to avoid elections.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

There isn't a recent one, partially because (as far as I can tell) it hasn't actually been passed yet, and it got coverage back when they first started discussing it months ago. Looks like it's going to be raised in the new Knesset session starting today, along with the bill for nerfing the Supreme Court's power and probably a few other things on the far-right's wish list. Seems like Bibi's coalition is shaky after all his big talk on deportation was torn to shreds, and now he needs to woo the extremist parties again to avoid elections.

I see. So it hasn’t been passed yet, just prepped for debate?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The fact that it was actually been written up and submitted speaks volumes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think the big difference is whether this is something they’re just throwing out and expecting to fail so the far-right can rage-wank happily away, or whether they’re likely to make a serious push for this to be committed into law. Both are bad, but one would be a seriously disturbing escalation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is this also trying to make certain settlements legal or something?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

I think the big difference is whether this is something they’re just throwing out and expecting to fail so the far-right can rage-wank happily away, or whether they’re likely to make a serious push for this to be committed into law. Both are bad, but one would be a seriously disturbing escalation.

Liberman has been making this law his public raison d'etre for a while, several years at least, but with him and Netanyahu you can never know for certain whether an action is sincere or if it's just some legislative sleight of hand, passing bills that will 100% be striked down by the Supreme Court is a propaganda trick both pulled up before, it prevents international backfire while allowing both to maintain their nationalistic cred.

I'd say it's a 'wait and see' situation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fun fact: South Africa still has a whites-only town founded just before the first democratic elections.

It's pretty much what you'd expect

quote:

"It's very safe here. We sleep with the doors unlocked. You can walk in the street at 3am without any fear. You don't have that where you live," he tells me.

He blames FW de Klerk, the last Afrikaner to rule South Africa, for the plight of his people.

"He gave away the country for nothing. We had the army," he says and stops abruptly, beginning to shake his head.

Inside the dimly-lit pub, a game of rugby is on the TV, apart from a few odd glances, no-one seems to pay much attention to Stanley or me.

A few more locals do come over to our table and conversation is polite and largely politically correct, much like in the rest of South Africa.

The pernicious issue of jobs and pro-black policies rears its head.

One local explains it as "reverse racism".

"We can't get jobs. It's like we are being punished for the past," he says.

They seem oblivious to the oppression of black South Africans during apartheid. For them it was a system that gave order.

"It [apartheid] didn't affect me. So many people get aggravated now for things they didn't even witness. It's over, move on," says Yolandie Jonk, 29, a call centre agent.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Sounds like the sort of lame place that black people would avoid for lack of style.
And probably they might get shot there too.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Y'know I've kind of wondered about this.
I've eaten my way around the East Medd in recent years, and Greek, Turkish, Cypriot, Syrian, Lebanese, and heck even Bulgarian food are all basically the same general idea. Change out some of the stuff, change up the names, specialize on some stuff, and of course claim your culture alone invented it all. Yadda yadda. But very much the same genre.

But Israeli food I don't know, and I gotta wonder because of the country in part just kind of popping out of almost nowhere in the last 100 years... how different is it from the rest of the Eastern Medd/Levant food wise?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Lots of fusion because of the sudden influx of West and East European food culture into the region.
Also at one time Tel-Aviv had the most sushi restaurants in any city outside of Japan, Israelis really took to it.
There are some original Israeli culinary inventions, such as toasted pasta bits (there was a shortage of rice and other grains) and the Jerusalem mixed grill.

Basically Israel got plenty of interesting food but most of the ethnic restaurants are a far cry from what they have in the region.
Probably as bad as the restaurant situation in bumfuck, Iowa.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 25, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Lots of fusion because of the sudden influx of West and East European food culture into the region.
Also at one time Tel-Aviv had the most sushi restaurants in any city outside of Japan, Israelis really took to it.
There are some original Israeli culinary inventions, such as toasted pasta bits (there was a shortage of rice and other grains) and the Jerusalem mixed grill.

Basically Israel got plenty of interesting food but most of the ethnic restaurants are a far cry from what they have in the region.
Probably as bad as the restaurant situation in bumfuck, Iowa.

Give me some examples of staple dishes, I'm curious if any line up with the uh.... Byzantine/Ottoman cuisine or whatever we'd call the native regional style.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You should be able to find falafel, shawarma, pizzas, hamburgers and sandwiches pretty much anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Off the top of my head:
Falafel and shawarma/grilled meats are the favourite street food.
Chicken schnitzel (chicken fried steak?) Is popular both at home and when eating out.
The best hummus can only be found in Arab villages or a handful of restaurants, Jerusalemites often go nearby Abu-Gosh specifically for hummus and other 'arab' food.
A good hamburger and a lovely McDonald's cost the same which about twice the cost of a decent shawarma.
I never encountered a Mexican restaurant worthy of that definition, also most Chinese places are awful and really expensive.
We do have plenty of good cheeses and olive oil and fresh vegetables, meat is much more expensive and in lower quality then in the US. Which explains why charcoal grills are the norm.

E: and the common hotel Israeli breakfast has: fresh salad, a selection of cheeses, egg dishes, orange juice and breads.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 25, 2018