Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife absolutely looooves Toby Stevens so is this lost in space worth checking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Baronjutter posted:

My wife absolutely looooves Toby Stevens so is this lost in space worth checking out?

It's true to the original in that it's a fairly light family adventure show, so if you're looking for serious or hard sci-fi then Lost in Space isn't it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

I'm thinking of checking out the new Lost in Space this weekend, is it closer to STD or The Expanse?

Neither, it’s more like ABC Family doing a really boring version of The Martian.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You must have been watching another show, because the Lost in Space I watched was boring as poo poo with ultra-predictable plot points, bad acting, and a robot suit that looked like a power rangers movie reject.

Well lets amend the original statement. If you aren't a bitter cynical rage monster that seeks perfection in all things then ten episodes of some interesting sci fi is worth a watch despite having some issues.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Flatscan posted:

It's true to the original in that it's a fairly light family adventure show, so if you're looking for serious or hard sci-fi then Lost in Space isn't it.

Yeah it doesn't sound like something either of us will like but she might watch a couple to support her Toby. She just liked him in that pirate show he was in which was very much not a light family adventure show.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Lost In Space looks great but desperately needs a new script

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Well lets amend the original statement. If you aren't a bitter cynical rage monster that seeks perfection in all things then ten episodes of some interesting sci fi is worth a watch despite having some issues.

It isn’t interesting at all because it purposely ignores all of the interesting elements it sets up (where is the Robot from?, how will they deal with Smith?, where is the Resolute and how do they reunite?) until the finale. The middle 8 episodes are filler that focus on forced family drama driven by idiotic characters who never learn anything.

If hating that makes me a “bitter cynical rage monster”, then so be it.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It isn’t interesting at all because it purposely ignores all of the interesting elements it sets up (where is the Robot from?, how will they deal with Smith?, where is the Resolute and how do they reunite?) until the finale. The middle 8 episodes are filler that focus on forced family drama driven by idiotic characters who never learn anything.

If hating that makes me a “bitter cynical rage monster”, then so be it.

People in this thread unironically like Enterprise and Voyager. Lost In Space is Citizen Kane in comparison.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I only have room in my life for one bad sci-fi show at a time, and right now that’s Discovery :shrug:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
i'm a cynical rage monster because i hate discovery though

that show is bad and nobody should like it

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
So what you're saying is that it's better than STD

I really liked Toby Stevens in Black Sails too which is basically the main reason I'm curious

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On the topic of other sci-fi shows, I'm surprised that the new Lost in Space remake is actually good. Like, really, really, good. It's nice to see a sci-fi/adventure show that actually let's the protagonists succeed sometimes instead of trying to be all grim-dark serious drama because of Battlestar Galactica :emo:.

im enjoying it too but there is a severe lack of mincing from dr smith

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

update from several pages back:

klingon girl was definitely and demonstrably initiating flirtations

thanks goons

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
discovery makes me mad due to how bad and wrong it is. lost in space is mostly just boring family drama.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
yeah i changed my mind it's okay to hate tv shows if it's star trek discovery or any episode of DS9 with Vic Fontaine

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

yeah i changed my mind it's okay to hate tv shows if it's star trek discovery or any episode of DS9 with Vic Fontaine

omg

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Someone mentioned it in this or one of the other Trek threads but I had never quite caught that Sisko not wanting to go to Vic's happened AFTER Far Beyond the Stars, which makes it even better.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DS9 with Vic Fontaine

Vic Fontaine is good and nice

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
yo that one where they crossover with The Time Tunnel got weird

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

shovelbum posted:

Someone mentioned it in this or one of the other Trek threads but I had never quite caught that Sisko not wanting to go to Vic's happened AFTER Far Beyond the Stars, which makes it even better.

You know this mutes my mild quibble that by the 24th century his objection should be muted into the absurdity of being angry about how your Hugonaut ancestors were treated by Charles X. I guess if you quantum leap into the 1570s that might make it fresh again.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Baronjutter posted:

Vic Fontaine is good and nice

*transports to an alternate reality*

Wow, it seems we are in an alternate reality where everyone who is good is evil, and everyone who is evil is good.

*Vic fontain walks around the corner changed from hologram to human but is still a chill guy*

Hey dudes, wassup

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Owlbear Camus posted:

update from several pages back:

thanks goons

Qa'pla!

(I actually wrote the last sentence in my English 30 final exam in Klingon, borrowing a copy of the dictionary a friend brought with him on exam day as a joke. My exam scored a perfect 100 and was ranked the highest rated in the province I lived in (apparently they do that, it was news to me), and I won an award for it at the school's follow-up ceremony for that year (coming back post-graduation for the ceremony a few months later.)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

how is it possible to be so wrong and so right at the same time

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

EimiYoshikawa posted:

how is it possible to be so wrong and so right at the same time

I'mma let you finish but real quick, The only thing worse than Vic Fontaine is Lwaxana Troi

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I'mma let you finish but real quick, The only thing worse than Vic Fontaine is Lwaxana Troi

No sorry the best star trek is when the characters parents are dtf, her, rikers dad, dukat rolling up saying banged ur mom at 3am

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

what the everloving gently caress

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

reported

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
So when I'm bartending on thursdays I'll turn the channel to TNT so i can watch basketball while i work. Unfortunately for me this means watching two full hours of NCIS New Orleans, featuring scott bakula as, uh, i don't know what his name is on this show. The main guy. Todd. Whatever.

Anyway it's pretty inoffensive and has a lot of bakula, and frankly i like the guy in spite of how terrible he was in ENT. So I'll watch a bit while I'm setting things up.

This week in New Orleans was rough though. The plot is always pretty standard CSI stuff, but with more terrorists. The important thing is that the terrorists were trying to blow up a big boat but spunky girl cop? saved the day. And then the episode ends. This is important.

Bakula is in his bar. He is wearing unbuttoned shortsleeves with a wife beater underneath. He is bantering with this lady. He decides to play the piano and sing Old Time Rock And Roll to a bar filled with ancient old black men. They all love his song.

I poo poo you not while hes doing his ray charles routine, he looks back over his shoulder at the lady he was talking to and does the archer "can you believe this poo poo" smirk. No dude. I can't believe it either.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kitchner posted:

*transports to an alternate reality*

Wow, it seems we are in an alternate reality where everyone who is good is evil, and everyone who is evil is good.

*Vic fontain walks around the corner changed from hologram to human but is still a chill guy*

Hey dudes, wassup

I love how that episode has Rom question what the gently caress is going on with the Mirror Universe and everyone else is all '...you know what, we have no loving idea'.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i'll be goddamned if Quark shrieking when he is remotely threatened never fails to make me do a sensible chuckle

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Ferengi screaming like babies certainly has its moments. ...and then there's when Nog gets wounded.

First episode of TAS, exploring an ancient empty alien vessel and they come across an airlock, Spock just draws a phaser and shoots the goddamn lock out.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
the ferengi fearsqueal was always so silly and funny, and you'd think it would have destroyed all the tension when Nog got shot in the leg - it was such a dramatic moment and the comical squeal *should* have been totally out of place - but Nog sold it completely and it felt very real, somehow his squeal made an already heavy scene feel even more tense and dramatic.

oh and on the subject of wrong opinions about Vic Fontaine, an awesome dude who only fools dislike, i always thought mirror Vic was an android instead of a hologram. everyone always says he was a human, but i distinctly remember seeing all sorts of sparks and poo poo when he got shot. my reaction was "ahahaha awesome, mirror Vic is an android instead if a hologram, that's so perfect" and i was super confused afterwards when i read poo poo online and everyone was saying "wtf, mirror Vic is a human, thats weird as heck!" i still prefer my interpretation of the scene bc android Vic owns and human Vic is just meh.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Kitchner posted:

*Archer looks at camera with a "can you believe his guy?" face*

archer mugging at no one in particular is always my favorite part of any enterprise episode. i'll never stop laughing at the cold open from the episode with the party vulcans, the vulcan captain is all "ooh boy im so psyched to meet you archer!" and archer makes the funniest face and just looks around the bridge, mugging at everyone and no one, saying "get a load of this guy!" with his face so hard that he's in danger of his face getting stuck like this: :smugmrgw:

Baronjutter posted:

Cool robe, powerful hair.

thx. my hair is the source of all my power, like david lynch

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's Only A Paper Moon apparently got Nog's actor receiving fan mail from real wounded veterans saying he played the part so well and recognisably for a wounded soldier with PTSD. His whole arc was just super well done.

I mean hell, you're basically looking at a young minority who signs up to a foreign military seeing it as the only alternative to a life of poverty, takes to it with enthusiasm and turns his life around, then suffers a crippling injury that destroys his newfound confidence and has to rebuild his shattered life from the ground up. If that isn't already an Oscar-bait movie it'd make a great one.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Gatekeeper posted:

oh and on the subject of wrong opinions about Vic Fontaine, an awesome dude who only fools dislike, i always thought mirror Vic was an android instead of a hologram. everyone always says he was a human, but i distinctly remember seeing all sorts of sparks and poo poo when he got shot. my reaction was "ahahaha awesome, mirror Vic is an android instead if a hologram, that's so perfect" and i was super confused afterwards when i read poo poo online and everyone was saying "wtf, mirror Vic is a human, thats weird as heck!" i still prefer my interpretation of the scene bc android Vic owns and human Vic is just meh.

I figured it was human Vic, and assumed that in the non-mirror universe he had been a real swing singer who had died and some entrepreneur made him into a hologram who really thought it was 1955. And mirror Vic was just the "what if he hadn't died and become Elvis-grade memorabilia?"

The writers probably just went "lol wouldn't human vic be a laff" and didn't think any further

simplefish fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 21, 2018

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Owlbear Camus posted:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

simplefish posted:

I figured it was human Vic, and assumed that in the non-mirror universe he had been a real swing singer who had died and some entrepreneur made him into a hologram who really thought it was 1955. And mirror Vic was just the "what if he hadn't died and become Elvis-grade memorabilia?"

The writers probably just went "lol wouldn't human vic be a laff" and didn't think any further

No.

Yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's funny either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I bet they kicked themselves after they realised they could have done a third dimension where holographic characters are humans and humans are holograms.