Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's like slim charles on the wire. his name is just charles but he's never called that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

RugClockVexx posted:

I may be wrong but isn't Jim's name "Jim" in Huck Finn? Not "friend of the family Jim?" People refer to him as a "friend of the family" BUT that's not his name. His name is just Jim. Its like Frankenstein's Monster. Frankenstein is the doctor, the monster is just the monster. Its a common misconception.

I don't have my hard copy handy, but you might be right on this. I think he was mostly Jim in the book. The epithet is super prevalent throughout the book, though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the dumb gently caress is having jordan peterson on.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Groovelord Neato posted:

the dumb gently caress is having jordan peterson on.

Jordan Peterson is a dumb gently caress, but it's also dumb to want a debate show with only people you agree with.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

maybe not have brain dead peeps on.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I hope it has the same effect on his career as it did for Milo. lol

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Super Deuce posted:

Jordan Peterson is a dumb gently caress, but it's also dumb to want a debate show with only people you agree with.

Debating Racist Kermit is loving futile and this is hilariously loving dumb.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Matt Zerella posted:

Debating Racist Kermit is loving futile and this is hilariously loving dumb.

Burying your head in the sand is worse.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Super Deuce posted:

Burying your head in the sand is worse.

No, giving a platform and legitimacy to alt right diet nazis is worse.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56UmHs_6Cfs
In which Jordan Peterson answers The Jewish Question

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

theCalamity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56UmHs_6Cfs
In which Jordan Peterson answers The Jewish Question

I'll give him credit, no one saying heinous poo poo like this makes me laugh harder. It's like Kermit after he went through a bad divorce with ms piggy and lost his kids and now vlogs all day about dads rights.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Matt Zerella posted:

No, giving a platform and legitimacy to alt right diet nazis is worse.

Look, Peterson is possibly one of the dumbest humans I've ever heard speak, however relative to those who are of an overall similar mind to him, at least he can form full sentences. They'll be nonsense, but at least they're mostly words.

To beat your enemy you must know your enemy. Ignoring that mentality exists contributes to any destruction their mentality would cause. He's not Alex Jones, he's not Sean Hannity. Peterson will at least cite fact, regardless if his assessments are always wrong.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Super Deuce posted:

Look, Peterson is possibly one of the dumbest humans I've ever heard speak, however relative to those who are of an overall similar mind to him, at least he can form full sentences. They'll be nonsense, but at least they're mostly words.

To beat your enemy you must know your enemy. Ignoring that mentality exists contributes to any destruction their mentality would cause. He's not Alex Jones, he's not Sean Hannity. Peterson will at least cite fact, regardless if his assessments are always wrong.

No.

Well spoken transphobia, sexism, and antisemitism, even masked in FACT AND REASON, still doesn't deserve a loving platform you dolt.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Matt Zerella posted:

No.

Well spoken transphobia, sexism, and antisemitism, even masked in FACT AND REASON, still doesn't deserve a loving platform you dolt.

Right, so let's pretend it doesn't exist and it will all go away.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'll set the over under on bill agreeing with him at 3.5 times.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Peterson hardly ever cites fact. He just says something without backing it up. He said that work relations between men and women have deteriorated over the last forty years without anything to back it up. He said that made up pronouns are Marxist words. He said he wouldn't support gay marriage if it was backed by cultural Marxists

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Super Deuce posted:

Right, so let's pretend it doesn't exist and it will all go away.

Nowhere am I pretending it doesn't exist, deny platform and legitimacy is not pretending it doesn't exist. It's saying, he's a gross, heinous person, and shouldn't be amplified.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 19, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

theCalamity posted:

Peterson hardly ever cites fact. He just says something without backing it up. He said that work relations between men and women have deteriorated over the last forty years without anything to back it up. He said that made up pronouns are Marxist words. He said he wouldn't support gay marriage if it was backed by cultural Marxists

Yeah but he strings together sentences in a way that makes him sound smart. Bill, who is very dumb and has gotten worse as he's gotten older will eat that poo poo up.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah but he strings together sentences in a way that makes him sound smart. Bill, who is very dumb and has gotten worse as he's gotten older will eat that poo poo up.

Bill is going to focus on college campus culture more than anything

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

theCalamity posted:

Bill is going to focus on college campus culture more than anything

This is the truth.

Peterson absolutely does cite facts. He just doesn't understand what the facts show. To compare it to hockey, there are dumb fans who think +/- is "useless". Those fans simply don't understand what statistics are. Jordan Peterson is to politics what a +/- hater is to hockey.

So, Peterson could say that black illiteracy is higher blah blah blah, but not comprehend that it's related to other things. He's a vacuum statistician. People who think one statistic defines anything by itself.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Super Deuce posted:

This is the truth.

Peterson absolutely does cite facts. He just doesn't understand what the facts show. To compare it to hockey, there are dumb fans who think +/- is "useless". Those fans simply don't understand what statistics are. Jordan Peterson is to politics what a +/- hater is to hockey.

So, Peterson could say that black illiteracy is higher blah blah blah, but not comprehend that it's related to other things. He's a vacuum statistician. People who think one statistic defines anything by itself.

You have your analogy wrong. Peterson is the equivalent of someone who thinks plus minus is the be all end all way to judge a players value. Plus minus has tons of external factors that make it up. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong or it's contorted.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Matt Zerella posted:

You have your analogy wrong. Peterson is the equivalent of someone who thinks plus minus is the be all end all way to judge a players value. Plus minus has tons of external factors that make it up. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong or it's contorted.

I'm saying his statistics exist by themselves. Not that he'd be a +/- zealot in either direction. He simply has the brain of one.

To be honest, it's not just a problem with Peterson. It happens with nearly every conservative. I'd even say it's a fundamental quality of their politics. People who are unable to connect, or see connections between things. So while they may have correct information, it's essentially useless in their hands.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk4EIVgEe5U

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I am willing to bet that Peterson and Maher together will be Extremely Bad and I wish Maher and the show's staff would exercise better judgement regarding not having toxic assholes like that on. Maher is tolerable, but only when his moron guests don't bring out the very worst of his impulses.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
I've never heard of Jordan Peterson before so I checked out a few videos of him on YouTube, and... he doesn't seem really that bad? Nothing I would remotely label as "toxic."

What am I missing about him?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Rand Ecliptic posted:

I've never heard of Jordan Peterson before so I checked out a few videos of him on YouTube, and... he doesn't seem really that bad? Nothing I would remotely label as "toxic."

What am I missing about him?

He's transphobic, sexist, antisemetic, and a modern eugenicist.

He's really loving bad and is playing to the fantasies of incel white men.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!

Matt Zerella posted:

He's transphobic, sexist, antisemetic, and a modern eugenicist.

He's really loving bad and is playing to the fantasies of incel white men.

Well, that'll pretty much do it. Thanks.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
he sounds like a leaky balloon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPnwctVXEcs

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rand Ecliptic posted:

he got famous for lying about a canadian lie about harassing transpeople by saying it'd be illegal to even accidentally misgender someone.

he makes at a minimum something like $40,000 a month off patreon alone and it's pretty much just from that initial fame from his transphobia.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rand Ecliptic posted:

He's a particularly insidious form of human trash because, unlike someone like Alex Jones or Donald Trump or Ben Shapiro, it's not immediately obvious that he's an awful person. He's very adept at seeming reasonable while espousing terrible, terrible opinions, and that's a big reason I think his appearance on Bill Maher is going to be a complete garbage fire.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh great another dirtbag white supremacist is going to be on? I wonder if bill will try to suck his dick like he did Milo Yanpoloswhatever.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Hell yeah dude.

I prefer Felix and Will's impression of him on Chapo but goddamn the Cum Boys always deliver.

https://youtu.be/Kk4EIVgEe5U

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

IRQ posted:

Oh great another dirtbag white supremacist is going to be on? I wonder if bill will try to suck his dick like he did Milo Yanpoloswhatever.

That' the problem lately. It isn't necessarily a debating show when complete morons shout at each other over nonsense. It was the reason Jon Stewart was able to easily take down the annoying pundits on CNN's Crossfire years ago.

When Bill was at his best, he was able to discuss well thought out, well discussed (and debated) possible solutions to current problems with intelligent people. Then it dropped in quality when he started having the token moron go against him and two other guests, which would slow the show down. Now its a dumpster fire on top of a train wreck next to a plane crash.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Anyone wanting a little laugh, check out the Cum Town take on Bill Maher's little fiasco with the N-word. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyLj2gHkzoI

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Apoplexy posted:

Anyone wanting a little laugh, check out the Cum Town take on Bill Maher's little fiasco with the N-word. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyLj2gHkzoI

Am I being an old man yelling at a cloud when I say:
What the gently caress is this.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Well, half of it is 'Bill Nye The Science Guy' with obvious lyrical change to accommodate Bill Maher. The other is Stav's fat rear end laughing like a retard the whole time, either enhancing or ruining the bit depending on how acclimated you are to Cum Town.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why has Kermit the frog tucked his tie into his pants? What a pillock.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I just caught the tail end of OT, and Bill seemed to push back a little bit from Peterson. How was Bill overall? Did he hold Peterson's feet to the fire, or did they wash eachother's balls?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

IRQ posted:

Am I being an old man yelling at a cloud when I say:
What the gently caress is this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nickmullen/status/798553102961942528

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mr Interweb posted:

I just caught the tail end of OT, and Bill seemed to push back a little bit from Peterson. How was Bill overall? Did he hold Peterson's feet to the fire, or did they wash eachother's balls?

Ball washing? I'd never heard of the guy and the comments about him had me worried, but they just talked about how people are too easily offended and didn't say too much that was unreasonable. You got some peeks at the crazy stuff (lol birth control made children lovely?) but he seemed well spoken. Not the Milo explosion I was looking forward to.
:shrug: