Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Aurubin posted:

Once you complete the 4th ritual you're locked into permanent war with all the vortex seeking factions just to say.

I should have mentioned this is Mortal Empires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
So what I do to Kislev all the time as Empire if they end up with territory that’s rightfully mine: cancel the treaties and wait the ten turns, then strike as soon as they wander away from the territory - ideally when they are under threat somewhere else so you can restore the treaties as part of the peace deal.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

So what I do to Kislev all the time as Empire if they end up with territory that’s rightfully mine: cancel the treaties and wait the ten turns, then strike as soon as they wander away from the territory - ideally when they are under threat somewhere else so you can restore the treaties as part of the peace deal.

What are the major determining factors of peace treaty acceptance? I assume relative strength is a major factor?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I mean, if you've unlocked Volkmar you could use that as a pretext to do his Jade Griffin quest as well. Kislev will be hosed by the Varg, Clan Moulder and the Chaos Invasion anyway so they're really not a useful buffer compared to having the Erengrad docks and Bohka palace for yourself.

As Empire I've found that you're basically forced to play triage for the Old World. Support the Dwarfs and they'll retake a few holds while Kislev gets hosed. Declare war on the Varg early and Kislev will be ok while the Dwarfs probably get reduced to Karaz-a-Karak and parts of Karak Azul. I generally go for the former because at least you get to reconquer cities with pleasant climates, for the most part.

Aurubin fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 18, 2018

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Aurubin posted:

Once you complete the 4th ritual you're locked into permanent war with all the vortex seeking factions just to say.

Not necessarily permenant, if you have vassalize anyfaction mod you can force them down to one settlement then subjugate them. Then they will be diplomable. l think you can do something similar with liberate as vassals mod.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wish you could take settlements for an ally, at least if they have other settlements in the same province. Since the AI seems averse to resettling ruins, the best odds you have at the moment is just to sack it and hope they move in and finish it off themselves.

Also the "Oops, one of your war targets defensive allies had a trade agreement with you so you're unreliable now lol" mechanic is obnoxious, you don't even get a warning for it when declaring.

Truecon420 posted:

Not necessarily permenant, if you have vassalize anyfaction mod you can force them down to one settlement then subjugate them. Then they will be diplomable. l think you can do something similar with liberate as vassals mod.

Well, everything is possible with mods, it's impossible in the base game.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 19, 2018

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Also the "Oops, one of your war targets defensive allies had a trade agreement with you so you're unreliable now lol" mechanic is obnoxious, you don't even get a warning for it when declaring.

I was so sick of this kinda stuff on my last campaign that I installed a mod to keep you at steadfast no matter what, and just opted to play normally instead of abusing it. It was a lot less frustrating. The AI is already stupidly reluctant towards diplomacy, and if any number of weird bullshit interactions brings you down a single reliability level, you basically don't get to engage in diplomacy at all. Also you are the only one who has to deal with this.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've happily triggered an all-out war with the dwarfs as Empire after 80+ turns of peace/alliance because they took Shwarzhafen from the Vampires and I needed it. It's happened enough times that I feel nothing when I backstab dwarfs. At least some dorf factions are content just staying home and trading goods with me.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, I just picked up WH1 for Mortal Empires, do I need to install it and add the free DLCs to unlock them in the ME campaign?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Broken Cog posted:

So, I just picked up WH1 for Mortal Empires, do I need to install it and add the free DLCs to unlock them in the ME campaign?

You don't need it installed to play ME, but you might need to install it to activate all the TWW1 free DLC, yeah. Easy way to check, just start up TWW2 and see if you can play as the Von Carsteins or whatever.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

John Charity Spring posted:

You don't need it installed to play ME, but you might need to install it to activate all the TWW1 free DLC, yeah. Easy way to check, just start up TWW2 and see if you can play as the Von Carsteins or whatever.

Yeah, I checked, and they are locked. Kinda silly that the free factions are locked by default, but what can you do. Cheers.

Edit: I managed to add all of them... except for Bretonnia, somehow.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 19, 2018

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Is Norsca ready yet

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Amuys posted:

Is Norsca ready yet

End of May

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Out of curiosity, what are people's favourite factions to play as? I'm almost ashamed to admit that I keep going back to the High Elves, or more specifically Teclis. They just have such a well rounded roster, and I found that their specialized top tier lords can make for some pretty fun gimmick armies.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

End of Times

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Broken Cog posted:

Out of curiosity, what are people's favourite factions to play as? I'm almost ashamed to admit that I keep going back to the High Elves, or more specifically Teclis. They just have such a well rounded roster, and I found that their specialized top tier lords can make for some pretty fun gimmick armies.

Vampire Counts / Vlad.

Not having to build any recruitment buildings is liberating. You end up with more diverse armies and better economy, which makes it easier to afford additional lords.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dwarfs, with Empire as second. Dwarfs always have Greenskins (and with mods, Skaven) to fight in an eternal hellwar, and I love their guns. The irony is that while Dwarfs will end up fighting 90% of all their battles against Greenskins, at least the sheer bedlam in the Badlands means something is always happening; my Empire games always ended up the same way, and only ME has made fighting against Greenskins from the south an actual thing compared to before when it's you fishing for weaknesses against Elector Counts you want to take over and eventually getting into your own hellwar against the undead.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm a big high elf fan girl and the high elves have been translated decently so I remain with them. I think Teclis's Vortex campaign is the most interesting in terms of foes, but I tend to play Tyrion more because I like him better. Being able to become a god of war in campaign is great. Teclis's spells are kind of the epitome of boring but effective to me. Though I also love Alarielle so my opinion is probably off on that. (Alarielle dlc in May pleaaaaase)

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Re: Favorite Factions

For Vortex, I think Skaven are probably the most fun of the available factions. Especially now that not-Africa is filled out and Queek has more friends to play with. The ritual and food mechanics work very nicely together in a way that the other factions don't have an equivalent for. Food scarcity gives you both a priority for which regions you want to expand to, and creates a soft cap on what size of an empire you can reasonably sustain. Being able to rebuild an entire ruined province with an injection of cash & food reserves makes an unlucky Chaos spawn a reasonable challenge rather than the invitation to reload your last save that it is for other species.

For ME: I'm often drawn to the WElves and Bretonnians because they have a victory condition other than mindless map-painting. However I have the most genuine fun with Skarsnik. Interesting start position, fun roster, clear objectives. Fun for the whole family.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I love the high elves in theory but other than Teclis Vortex I hate their starts, so dorfs for me. I want Alarielle too but I hope she gets a massive affinity boost with Tyrion so they tend to team up and halve the time they have to spend beating down other high elves before you do anything else.

My least favourite might be Empire, even though I love the idea of them. After the neoconfederates and Marienburg, unless you want to keep conquering other humans, the campaign feels so reactionary, like you're kind of relying on the AI to do poo poo so you can respond to it.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 21, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
My favorite factions to play are definitely Lizards, Skaven and Tomb Kings.

Least favorites are Dwarves. gently caress those guys imo

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Dwarves are a cancer in multiplayer and hell I dunno probably single player

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
i always seem to end up playing vampires. Them and Skarsnik are my two favorites. love the skaven too

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I'm the kinda guy who likes everything but lets see.

Love the High Elves but really want a new LL to play with, Tyrion's start is boring and I'm tired of playing Teclis.

Dark Elves are ok but I also kinda hate their current lord choices/start positions.

Lizardmen are rad, looking forward to the Prophet of Sotek making a skink/ranged army a hopefully more viable thing in campaign. Give me Salamanders.

Skaven are also really fun but I get worn out playing long campaigns with them.

Empire with Volkmar or Gelt was the Warhammer 1 campaign that kept sucking me back in.

Also quite fond of Dwarves, Wood Elves, Brettonia, (Fey Enchantress especially) and Vampires.

I enjoy playing Greenskins, Beastmen and even Chaos once in a blue moon but it's definitely something I gotta be in the right mood for.

Tomb Kings are too new for me to give an unbiased opinion on, and I can barely remember what playing Norsca was like, once upon a time.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
The key to fun Empire is to set specific goals for it and work towards that - my favorite is have an upgraded East conquered and ready for the chaos invasion.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What's the key to getting off the ground with the HE Tyrion start? Keep in mind I'm not very good at this game. I feel like I'm constantly running out of cash as I try to upgrade my settlements and get access to more interesting units. I've got four full provinces, three or four other settlements and Eagle gate, and I'm running around with three stacks. Each stack is 2 bolt throwers, 2 cavalry (usually silver helms, but I'm atrocious at remembering to sue them and they often get a little eaten up by bows), a lord, and a huge pile of spears backed up either by archers (some in armor) or lothern sea guard. Average income is about 1k/turn, which is barely enough to cover my one noble and one mage doing covert actions. (Influence and research, usually.)

I want to add some of the fancy toys, but I'm poor and I'm not sure which ones are good at what. I have been having fun with Tyrion's free bomber phoenix. The idea of dragons sounds amazing. I just worry they'll get chewed up by the higher-tier halberds or something.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

treeman jihad in the chaos wastes

then drunk ice dwarfs with shotguns, but that was a mod so I dunno if that counts

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Arcturas posted:

What's the key to getting off the ground with the HE Tyrion start? Keep in mind I'm not very good at this game. I feel like I'm constantly running out of cash as I try to upgrade my settlements and get access to more interesting units. I've got four full provinces, three or four other settlements and Eagle gate, and I'm running around with three stacks. Each stack is 2 bolt throwers, 2 cavalry (usually silver helms, but I'm atrocious at remembering to sue them and they often get a little eaten up by bows), a lord, and a huge pile of spears backed up either by archers (some in armor) or lothern sea guard. Average income is about 1k/turn, which is barely enough to cover my one noble and one mage doing covert actions. (Influence and research, usually.)

I want to add some of the fancy toys, but I'm poor and I'm not sure which ones are good at what. I have been having fun with Tyrion's free bomber phoenix. The idea of dragons sounds amazing. I just worry they'll get chewed up by the higher-tier halberds or something.

You might have 1 too many stacks? although 1k profit/turn is ok. Keep expanding. Remember you can confed fellow elves by spending influence to curry favor

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Ammanas posted:

You might have 1 too many stacks? although 1k profit/turn is ok. Keep expanding. Remember you can confed fellow elves by spending influence to curry favor
Up until this post I had literally forgotten influence has any purpose beyond buying better lords and heroes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arcturas posted:

I think you're playing Vortex cuz of the phoenix, right? Ithilmar chariots (from the upgraded bolt thrower building) are an unsung hero of the high elf roster that are cheaper than dragons and such but do amazing work. Unlike most chariots, they're drat near invincible and will plow through just about anything. I have no qualms about sending them head on into anti-large units, other than elite halberds like Black Guard. I only ever used them because Mortal Empires Tyrion starts with them instead of the phoenix, otherwise I'd never have looked at them. Have them charge into something, click behind it till they pull through, then drive away and charge something else. They don't even start to lose models until they're at like 25% hp and that almost never happens, and unlike most chariots, if they get stuck they can still survive and fight.

Other good units are dragons of course. Swordmasters are amazing and you'll want to build mage towers anyway, so they're a great pick. Phoenix Guard are among the best line-holders in the game. White Lions and eagle swarms can be good mid-game units until you can build up and support swordmasters and dragons, and conveniently can be dropped in a minor settlement. Never take one eagle though, take like 3 and use them together.

One of the high elves' strengths though is that your basic spears/archers/sea guard can serve well the whole game. You sound like you're doing fine. Maybe just cut down on the agent actions, you don't necessarily have to do them every turn, especially when money is a concern. 1000 income is solid for early-mid game, that's usually where I like to hover around. Especially in vortex, try to make nice with as many high elves as you can. Only conquer the ones that won't trade/nap/ally. The game gets more fun when you are fighting Malekith and friends, and fighting in land you don't necessarily want to conquer means megabuxx from sacking their cities.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Asehujiko posted:

Up until this post I had literally forgotten influence has any purpose beyond buying better lords and heroes.

Influence is actually incredibly powerful and awesome because it actually lets you interact with diplomacy in ways that aren't "dump 10,000,000 gold into one guy and have him be your buddy". It's pretty easy to trick enemy megafactions into going to town on each other.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I really like the dark elf loyalty pop ups and really wish they happened more often since that is the source of their crafted items.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I loving love dilemmas and I want a whole lot of good and fun dilemmas. In SFO they have a number of dilemmas which are great, for example one that makes all the Empire Provinces be unable to declare war on one another (but you can't declare war on them too). Is there any mods that add a bunch of dilemmas like the High Elf/Dark Elf dilemmas to other factions?

I really like text-based adventure games like King of Dragon Pass, why do you ask?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
A high-loyalty dilemma getting me some gold-level stuff as Skaven is one of the things that I am looking forward to when they FINALLY ADD SKRYRE COME ON GIVE ME MY GUNS

EDIT: Speaking of Skaven, this mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1364680813) changes the Warp Lightning Cannon's projectile to the actual Warp Lightning used by Ruin magic-users. It looks loving rad...that is, when the target is within 200 range. Unfortunately the graphic doesn't extend past that, so instead you see the lightning stretching only so far while the targets suddenly explode when they're not near enough. When it works though, goddamn does it look badass.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 21, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
"Prepare your defenses!" *fart noice*

:cmon:

Edit: On the plus side, I discovered that a Loremaster with regeneration and stacked MD is basically unkillable.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 22, 2018

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

toasterwarrior posted:

A high-loyalty dilemma getting me some gold-level stuff as Skaven is one of the things that I am looking forward to when they FINALLY ADD SKRYRE COME ON GIVE ME MY GUNS

Yeah, my only real complaint about the way the Skaven were implemented in WH2 is that their units don't go far enough into all the weird tech stuff that they do. A species with a working spaceflight program should not be fielding as many slingers as they do in combat.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, my only real complaint about the way the Skaven were implemented in WH2 is that their units don't go far enough into all the weird tech stuff that they do. A species with a working spaceflight program should not be fielding as many slingers as they do in combat.

why

when you say skaven have technology, you mean very few of them have technology and then sabotage it so no one else can have it, not even their selves

Skaven space ships might just be fancy ways to get rid of rivals for very powerful skaven, not the average slave

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Acute Grill posted:

Skaven technology is advanced but also horribly unreliable and expensive and mostly the province of one specific great clan(Skryre) who rents it out to the rest for exorbitant prices rather than something that the species as a whole has access to. The vast majority of the skaven race doesn't have access to the fancy technology. That and when a majority of the forces you're fielding are trash slave fodder you're going to arm them as cheaply as possible and not give them anything fancy for both cost reasons and also because if you give a garbage skavenslave a gun he might use it to avenge himself on his masters. Rocks and pointy sticks are free.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
How do people survive / prosper in the first 20 or 30 turns of a dwarf legendary campaign. I just quit out of one where I crushed stack after stack after stack of orcs (like 10+ victories against both a full ordinary and waagh stack) but couldn't hold anything or expand because too many stacks were coming from multiple directions, Grimgor is constantly coming back and is a nightmare to deal with, and then the Vampire Counts who got huge declared war on me too and I couldn't afford to field more than one army, which can't be everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Acute Grill posted:

As others have said, not every Skaven clan is necessarily advanced to the WW1 war crime wonder weapons of Skyre. If you read the Iron mine under Skaven control, it says that only a few clans are even capable of metalworking period, with the rest needing to Barter for equipment.

And given their treacherous nature, Skaven innovators are more likely to steal, sabotage, or hoard technological innovations. Since advances are not widely adapted and constant infighting is undoing much of the progress, only a few developments really get seized on through time.

Slings are cheap and it is easy to teach a smoothbrained rat slave to throw rocks. Exotic weaponry invites jealousy, paranoia, and suspicion.