Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ewen Cluney posted:

There's also the part where the protagonist's online best friend who he thought was a guy turns out to be a black lesbian (presumably so he doesn't even have to think about whether he'd consider getting romantically involved), though in the movie it's painfully obvious that it's a woman pitch-shifting her voice.

Also I liked how the evil corporate badguy blew up a trailer to target the protagonist, killing hundreds of people, and when he shows up in the neighborhood and is confronted with the people there whose family members and friends he murdered, the people don't tear him apart. Never mind that he's the CEO of a massive corporation in a cyberpunk dystopia, let's hope the cops take him in.

A couple of the guys from RiffTrax did a podcast appropriately titled 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back where they read, discuss, and mock RPO and then Cline's newer book Armada, which answers the question, "What if The Last Starfighter was a huge wad of nerd references and really sucked?" Along with all the other stuff, Cline is just kind of bad at putting words together.

A Ready Player One sequel is already being written thanks to the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Dagon posted:

Its me! (and everyone that actually writes the lists which is like a third of the posters here).

Looking at my taxes, I made just shy of $800 last year. I can't get to the numbers right now, but I haven't put up a new list in like 2 years, and the money is still trickling in. Its nowhere near anything like a real income, but it supports my other hobbies well enough and has gotten me lunch quite a few times and out of plenty of tight spots.

Gem generator sounds like one of ours. Horse generator, I wish I had thought of.

You do make sure to pay self-employment tax as well as take all of your applicable expenses to offset the income.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
$216 is a lot for what sounds like some story hooks based on gimmick handouts. I mean, presumably there'll be art in there and all that, but...

... bear in mind Invisible Sun isn't even out yet, and they're pushing a "Season Pass" of largely unknown content. The full current preorder price of the game content planned, with main kit, 4 player kits (presuming you're applying the GM "discount"), and the directed campaign, is $587 plus shipping.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Wow, this sounds like something that could finally burn Monte's meal ticket, but who knows.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I get the impression Monte made enough money on high-end products like Ptolus: City on the Spire ($120) and Numenera Reliquary Boxes Set ($120) that he's one of the few in TRPGs with the experience of building and shipping high-price products like these.

But you never know, of course.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
who the hell is giving monte cook of all people hundreds of dollars at a time. that is way worse than that mask thing

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Uncle Monte's appeal will forever elude me. The most interesting stuff he's ever done is, what, Dark*Matter and The Great Modron March?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
His stuff is so dull. Nicely presented, and there's a lot of it, but every time I try to read something of his I can feel my imagination withering and shutting down.

He's really good at building a name/brand for himself and cultivating a dedicated audience and giving them what they want, and I appreciate his willingness to explore the high end of the RPG marketplace, but the appeal of his actual work is utterly lost on me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I feel that way about a lot of stuff over the years, and Cook exemplifies it--stuff with an exciting premise, but when you actually read it, there's either a whole lot of nothing underneath, or a lot of piddly boring bean-county rules that just suck all the oxygen out of that premise.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Halloween Jack posted:

Wow, this sounds like something that could finally burn Monte's meal ticket, but who knows.

I'm not sure why anyone would think so. Invisible Sun itself was a massively successful Kickstarter where people gave him $200 for a bunch of vague pseudomystical bullshit as a sales pitch and, at some point much later, a plastic hand and a deck of cards.

Halloween Jack posted:

I feel that way about a lot of stuff over the years, and Cook exemplifies it--stuff with an exciting premise, but when you actually read it, there's either a whole lot of nothing underneath, or a lot of piddly boring bean-county rules that just suck all the oxygen out of that premise.

Yeah, the gonzo sci-fantasy elevator pitch of Numenera had me briefly interested, but then it's literally just a badly designed rules-light version of D&D with "technomagical" jargon on some stuff. Too bad all that good and even sometimes great art and art direction is wasted on such a nothing of a game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ptolus is a solid product, but I always found it funny how many hard walls it sets up against high-level spellcasting / metagaming due to being d20 (particularly against stuff like teleport, plane shift, and summons) in order to make certain spaces stay locked, or at least require PCs to enter by foot.

That I guess sums up how I feel about Monte products: high production values, very detailed, and deeply risk-averse. A lot of hard work obviously goes into them, but I don't expect much in the way of surprises. They tend to be very much "what's on the tin".

And granted, I imagine the audience for this isn't gonna be huge, like, a thousand to several thousand people is probably what they're aiming for. I'd be curious to know how much of this stuff they're printing beyond the kickstarter.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
He makes "D&D 3.5 but with a twist" over and over and at a higher threshold of quality than your average d20 shovelware. If you walked into a physical bookstore / hobby store in the the early 2000s a book with Monte Cook's name on it would be more interesting than vanilla D&D (or depending on the exact year, "one of the better vanilla D&D books") and more functional than d20 Modern or what the gently caress ever, and that makes for a positive association. Basically everything people are citing as a negative is actually the appeal for his audience.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

That Old Tree posted:

Yeah, the gonzo sci-fantasy elevator pitch of Numenera had me briefly interested, but then it's literally just a badly designed rules-light version of D&D with "technomagical" jargon on some stuff. Too bad all that good and even sometimes great art and art direction is wasted on such a nothing of a game.
This is Robin Laws' fault. He really, really hit the mark with The Dying Earth Roleplaying Game, and in so doing he sucked all the ambient literary intelligence out of the air. No other designer will ever actually get Dying Earth style fantasy. Well, maybe the Fragged Empire guys.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 20, 2018

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jimbozig posted:

Those are very 80s things. Maybe he is just nostalgically transphobic!

Somehow all the 90s kids I know have managed not to be nostalgic over Limp Bizkit and Ace Ventura and are rightly embarrassed for having liked those things. Why can't the gen xers have the decency to admit how lovely their media was?

30 year cycles are bigger than 20 year ones. The Lisa Frank movie will come soon enough (no it won't be about how they were abusive coke fiends)

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Halloween Jack posted:

This is Robin Laws' fault. He really, really hit the mark with The Dying Earth Roleplaying Game, and in so doing he sucked all the ambient literary intelligence out of the air. No other designer will ever actually get Dying Earth style fantasy. Well, maybe the Fragged Empire guys.

That game is absolutely amazing and should get far more love than it gets.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

I'm not sure why anyone would think so. Invisible Sun itself was a massively successful Kickstarter where people gave him $200 for a bunch of vague pseudomystical bullshit as a sales pitch and, at some point much later, a plastic hand and a deck of cards.

I feel like the last decade or so of RPG output has made it clear that rules light is not the fix is once was thought to be. Hopefully rules good is the next trend.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Kemper Boyd posted:

So is the Gaean Reach game, but it's even moreso for a "fervent niche audience" as it says in the intro page.

remusclaw posted:

I feel like the last decade or so of RPG output has made it clear that rules light is not the fix is once was thought to be. Hopefully rules good is the next trend.
I think something we're seeing more of is games that aren't so hung up on being consistently rules-heavy or rules-light, but are complex and specific in places that matter to the tone of the game.

For example, Apocalypse World 2e isn't at all hung up on the little details of combat that would be represented in a table of modifiers in an older game, and a poo poo-ton of stuff falls under "act under fire" or "seize by force." But then it has specific moves for stuff like leaping onto a moving vehicle because that's the genre.

Sometimes this is aggravating--I don't like the way Trail of Cthulhu is a very simple system that then has a lot of weird little fiddly rules tacked onto it. Night's Black Agents is a better implementation of the same framework.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 20, 2018

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
...poo poo, they did a Gaean Reach RPG?

I _AM_ that niche audience.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Quandos Vorn must die!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kemper Boyd posted:

It's loving superb.

Someone should write it up for F&F.

The spinoff games (Gaean Reach and Skullduggery) are also excellent. It's Laws's best system design, IMHO.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stopped by my local game store hoping to find the 5e starter set, but no luck. Found the Blades in the Dark book and the Dungeonesque set, but the former seemed a little complicated and the latter apparently doesn’t have good reviews. v:v:v I was considering coming away with just the PHB, but the 5e books were like 50 bucks apiece, and wowwwww.

Maybe someday I will actually play a game with people.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Stopped by my local game store hoping to find the 5e starter set, but no luck. Found the Blades in the Dark book and the Dungeonesque set, but the former seemed a little complicated and the latter apparently doesn’t have good reviews. v:v:v I was considering coming away with just the PHB, but the 5e books were like 50 bucks apiece, and wowwwww.

consider yourself morally correct for not supporting mike mearls' cocaine habit

e: blades is ok i guess consider it next time

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BitD is much less complicated than 5e, IMO. It's a different sort of complicated, but the number of little mechanics that you have to keep track of is way way smaller.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Blades in the Dark is significantly less complicated than 5e, honestly, if only because there are a lot fewer numbers and stats to worry about. It's just a very different kind of game, so it might look kind of "out there" if you're expecting something that looks kind of like D&D. It's also super good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Blades is also a much better-designed game than D&D 5.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
D&D 5e is a bad game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Harrow posted:

Blades in the Dark is significantly less complicated than 5e, honestly, if only because there are a lot fewer numbers and stats to worry about. It's just a very different kind of game, so it might look kind of "out there" if you're expecting something that looks kind of like D&D. It's also super good.

I have little to no TRPG experience so I have no real perspective on how hard something is to play. :v: Regardless, I don't have anyone to play with, but if I come across the book again I might just pick it up.

I still have to actually rope some people into playing Dungeon World, though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I still have to actually rope some people into playing Dungeon World, though.

It stinks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

Uncle Monte's appeal will forever elude me. The most interesting stuff he's ever done is, what, Dark*Matter and The Great Modron March?

Monte Cook produces the products he says he will, on time, builds up a brand name and customer loyalty, and knows how to monetize his products.

We wring our hands at how his products aren't "good", but he's running a business. It's like Paizo discovering the subscription model for RPG books.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Honestly, for all that this forum rags on 5e, it's a perfectly serviceable game if your goal is just casual social gaming. The $50-a-corebook price tag does feel kind of harsh, though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Monte Cook produces the products he says he will, on time, builds up a brand name and customer loyalty, and knows how to monetize his products.

We wring our hands at how his products aren't "good", but he's running a business. It's like Paizo discovering the subscription model for RPG books.

He's the anti-Luke-Crane.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Antivehicular posted:

Honestly, for all that this forum rags on 5e, it's a perfectly serviceable game if your goal is just casual social gaming. The $50-a-corebook price tag does feel kind of harsh, though.

Wow what a rave review, definitely spend your money on dungeons and dragons 5th edition

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antivehicular posted:

5e isn't priced for "casual social gaming", nor is it designed for it (to the extent that 5e has any thought put into its design at all).

If you just want to sit around a table, shoot the poo poo and roll dice to frame a loose narrative around, there are a zillion better alternatives.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm playing with my normies friends it and it's serviceable but I wish I had convinced those retards to play 4e or strike instead

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Hot take: 5e is no worse than any other version of D&D

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hotter take: 5E is worse than the other editions of D&D because it's the first edition to have a designer contribute to a harassment campaign.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hottest take: All D&D is bad, but 5e is more bad because it supported a man who death threated a trans women into closing her competting business

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Zurui posted:

Hot take: 5e is no worse than any other version of D&D

Here's something hot for you *throws boiling oil on your face*

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Covok posted:

Hottest take: All D&D is bad, but 5e is more bad because it supported a man who death threated a trans women into closing her competting business

What the gently caress? This I did not know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

What the gently caress? This I did not know.

Short version: Zak S is a douchebag who's been banned on almost every RPG site online for being a whiny bitch who constantly argues. He was brought in as a consultant to appeal to grognards because he has sway with them. They gave him special thanks in the front of the book and paid him.

He had previously started harassment campaign against the creators of Last Stand. He outed the creator as a trans woman. He then adviced his fans to send death threats to them.

Mike Mearls was made aware of this by many concerned individuals. He told the General Public that he asked Zak and Zak said he didn't do it so he thinks that he didn't do it.

The creator of Last Stand closed her business.