Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

MrUnderbridge posted:

I love that the molecule says "no, no, no, no!"

In the dangerous chemistry world, "NO2" = YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Well yeah, that's a side effect of making GBS threads yourself inside-out.

As a pH indicator it's typically in an ethanol solution. Booze!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Mustached Demon posted:

As a pH indicator it's typically in an ethanol solution. Booze!

My Chem 101 prof said it's often used to denature the lab ethanol -- doesn't affect most of its uses as a reagent, and makes it really easy to tell who's stealing some for free booze without causing permanent damage.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
So was reading around on wiki some. Looks like our old unstable friend Hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane has another trick up it's sleeve.

quote:

CL-20 covalent chains
In 2017, K.P. Katin and M.M. Maslov designed one-dimensional covalent chains based on the CL-20 molecules.[9] Such chains was constructed using the CH2 molecular bridges for the covalent bonding between the isolated CL-20 fragments. It was theoretically predicted that their stability increased with the efficient length growth. Therefore, the formation of CL-20 two-dimensional layers or crystalline covalent solids seems to be energetically favorable, and CL-20 molecules are capable of forming not only molecular crystals but bulk covalent structures as well. Numerical calculations of the CL-20 chains electronic characteristics revealed that they were wide-bandgap semiconductors.

whole new meaning to explosive computing.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

shalafi4 posted:

So was reading around on wiki some. Looks like our old unstable friend Hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane has another trick up it's sleeve.

whole new meaning to explosive computing.

Halt and catch fire explode.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Is this the secret to Sega's Blast Processing?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's what Starfleet uses.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
"Smithereens" is an excellent word that doesn't enter into day-to-day vocabulary nearly enough

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I love the Weekly World News. :allears:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

13Pandora13 posted:

I'm looking for a chemical for a stupid art project. Not literally the chemical, but the name of one. I'm looking for something with an interesting molecular structure that is both explosive and highly mutagenic. The chemical model is going to get painted onto a lab coat. Any recommendations?
I'm late, but Tery Butyl Peroxide earns the elusive 444 fire diamond.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

GWBBQ posted:

You mean tert-butyllithium, surely. Peroxide earns a mere 234 OX diamond.

darthbob88 has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Aug 11, 2018

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

GWBBQ posted:

What would anyone ever need this for :stare:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Take the case of di-tert-butyl peroxide. Let's do what Derek Lowe did not initially, and imagine that someone somehow managed to cram another O in between the 2 Os holding the center of the molecule together. Now we've got some decomposition products that look like they're ready to party (a few CH3s bound to a C that's feeling cranky) and some fresh oxidizer that's ready to mingle (that single O from the middle of the chain), and the real fun can begin :byoscience:

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

13Pandora13 posted:

The question isn't why, but why not

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

13Pandora13 posted:

Because "death by science" should be how all BS and chemistry Ph.Ds should check out.

"I have terminal cancer. Welp, time to see if I can find any new fun azides. Screw cooking meth!"

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

darthbob88 posted:

You mean tery-butyllithium, surely. Peroxide earns a mere 234 OX diamond.

He probably meant t-butyl hydroperoxide, though the exact classification varies on source (e.g. pubchem lists t-butyl hydroperoxide as 1-4-4, but cameochemicals has it as 4-4-4)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Because "death by science" should be how all BS and chemistry Ph.Ds should check out.

"I have terminal cancer. Welp, time to see if I can find any new fun azides. Screw cooking meth!"

It's a bit like a Viking ship burial, but instead you take the lab with you.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

StandardVC10 posted:

Welp that's how I want to go when it's my time to venture to labhalla.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Another Variation Is The Moonshine And Meth Special.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Welp that's how I want to go when it's my time to venture to labhalla.

Every morning at the Klapötke lab.

https://i.imgur.com/xXWaJ6R.gifv

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I realize this is a more apt question for a general chemistry thread, but this is the one I lurk so here goes:
Why is it that a mol of ideal gas' volume at STP is 22.4 liters? It seems with the "1 Atmosphere of pressure" term there could have been room to fudge it a bit to end up at a rounder volume. Was 1 atm already agreed on by convention as 101.3 kPa?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ssthalar posted:

Every morning at the Klapötke lab.

https://i.imgur.com/xXWaJ6R.gifv

Too much going on in this gif, you've angered the fragile nitrogen bonds down the hallw-

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nth Doctor posted:

I realize this is a more apt question for a general chemistry thread, but this is the one I lurk so here goes:
Why is it that a mol of ideal gas' volume at STP is 22.4 liters? It seems with the "1 Atmosphere of pressure" term there could have been room to fudge it a bit to end up at a rounder volume. Was 1 atm already agreed on by convention as 101.3 kPa?

That's just the number that works out based on what you define STP to be. The standard atmosphere came first, as the agreed-upon height of a column of mercury. The Pascal came later as a Newton per square meter and 101.3 of them equalled an atmosphere.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm fairly certain that the standard atmospheric pressure was arrived upon by averaging years of measurements anyway. It's not necessarily representative of anything on any specific day, but it's not really arbitrary either.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Icon Of Sin posted:

Too much going on in this gif, you've angered the fragile nitrogen bonds down the hallw-
Yeah, more likely the Klapotke veterans have gone Buddhist, forsaking attachment to Earthly things. Like their fingers, spectrometers, and walls.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Pressure was a tool to measure something like an ideal gas in thought experiments. Not the other way around to define it.

Physics has a way of laughing at people looking for even numbers.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

zedprime posted:

Pressure was a tool to measure something like an ideal gas in thought experiments. Not the other way around to define it.

If you aren't a tau day fan and firmly believe you were taught wrong growing up i don't even what to say.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

zedprime posted:

I remember a thread where someone was tearing their hair out over some decently complex physics calculations that kept giving results that were off by almost, but not quite exactly, an order of magnitude.

Turned out he had forgotten to include acceleration due to gravity at earth's surface...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bhodi posted:

If you aren't a tau day fan and firmly believe you were taught wrong growing up i don't even what to say.

I'm sorry that you can't understand semicircles.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

kirtar posted:

He probably meant t-butyl hydroperoxide, though the exact classification varies on source (e.g. pubchem lists t-butyl hydroperoxide as 1-4-4, but cameochemicals has it as 4-4-4)
Yep, that was it. 444 OX

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Too bad there isn't a 6/28.3185307... as an actual day on the calendar.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was reading the fart stories thread in GBS, and it got me wondering. What better place to ask, than a bunch of chemistry-inclined goons?

Why do farts in the shower smell more awful and more moist, for lack of a better word, than farts outside in the dry? I'm sure being in a small enclosed space has something to do with it, but at least for me it definitely also changes the character of the fart, vs. let's say a dutch oven. Are there actually chemicals in a toot that would smell different if they got hydrated (not sure if I'm using the word right there)? It's pretty goddamn dry where I live, would a ripper on a 100% humidity day smell more similar to a shower fart?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I would bet it's more macro scale than chemistry. You've got a ton of air currents & aerosol droplets in the shower.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Sulfurous molecules are literally the stuff of egg farts. They are mildly acidic which creates a one two punch to the nose: the water droplets end up being acidified slightly increasing the kick, and the sulfurous part is potentiated by that missing hydrogen to really buzz the hell out of your nose.

Add in that a shower is a kinetic whirlwind from your butt to your nose and shower farts hit fast and hard.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I'm not sure how to word this but in addition to that other stuff heat increases scentsitivity.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
also it doesn't have to diffuse through clothing

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FFT posted:

I'm not sure how to word this but in addition to that other stuff heat increases scentsitivity.

Increased heat can assist with volatilisation of certain compounds. Like the difference between drinking ice-cold vodka and warm vodka. The second one will be far harsher on your nose/throat.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

zedprime posted:

Sulfurous molecules are literally the stuff of egg farts. They are mildly acidic which creates a one two punch to the nose: the water droplets end up being acidified slightly increasing the kick, and the sulfurous part is potentiated by that missing hydrogen to really buzz the hell out of your nose.

Add in that a shower is a kinetic whirlwind from your butt to your nose and shower farts hit fast and hard.

Pyf dangerous chemistry: shower farts hit fast and hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

honda whisperer posted:

Pyf dangerous chemistry: shower farts hit fast and hard