Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

bloom posted:

i hope guts cuts someone in half

The only thing he will be cutting in half, are the prices at his own grocery store. He will eliminate the commpetition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

lobster22221 posted:

The only thing he will be cutting in half, are the prices at his own grocery store. He will eliminate the commpetition

Sacrificing his sanity to the Idea of Savings to offer these low low prices.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Crossover chapter with One Punch Man

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

bloom posted:

i hope guts cuts someone in half

... and the horse they rode in on.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
does anyone know what the scan quality is like on the darkhorse stuff offered through comixology that was mentioned earlier in the thread? some of the old free scan floating around are really rough, but i don't want to drop a huge amount for official scans that are barely an improvement.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
I bought a few volumes digitally, and I have absolutely no complaints about how they look.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah, the official scans look good.

I've read up through Volume 14 so I suppose I'll put down my thoughts here for now as I won't be getting the next volume until next month.

I can see why the anime cut off when it did. Immediately after that moment a bunch of things are introduced and talked about that would require another episode or two to go into. I'm really happy that Rickert is okay, and I can't believe Miura teased us with the Skeleton Knight and Zodd's confrontation like that. I'm really curious to find out exactly what kind of being the Skeleton Knight is. He doesn't seem to make Guts' brand bleed, so he's not a demon at least. I'm really curious to see what other kinds of magical creatures are in this world. So far we've got demons, ghosts, and elves.

The entire situation surrounding Casca is hosed up and sad, but I'm glad she's staying with some good people for now and I hope they don't die protecting her.

Guts does seem to be a little different in present day from the Guts that we were first introduced to before the Golden Age flashback, I imagine because the Golden Age arc helped Miura to pin down his personality more. He's still a moody bastard but he's not quite as cold as he seemed before the flashback.

Now that I've experienced the Band of the Hawk for a second time, I think the loss that hit me the hardest was Judeau. Just a really nice guy, and I feel like he would've had interesting tidbits to share about some of the things Guts is encountering on his journey.

I'm looking forward to learning more about these weird Misty Valley "elves". I guess they're demon bugs of some kind that just look like elves? Previously I was just assuming that there were some evil elves that allied with the demons. I suppose there's nothing really to say that an elf couldn't become an apostle just like a human could, though. I wonder if all of the Godhand began as humans.

Also wanna learn more about these knights sent from the Holy See. I wonder how equipped they are to deal with demons.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Viridiant posted:

I'm looking forward to learning more about these weird Misty Valley "elves".

You're in for a treat, friendo. :stonklol:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Viridiant posted:

I've read up through Volume 14 so I suppose I'll put down my thoughts here for now as I won't be getting the next volume until next month.

Man I think volumes 15-21 are the best set of volumes in the story. Prepare your wallet for a bunch of page-turners. The whole sequence of events in the middle of volume 20 still gives me chills every time I read it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
My personal favorite chapter is 117 in volume 16.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Mraagvpeine posted:

My personal favorite chapter is 117 in volume 16.

Can you spoiler and tell me which page that is?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

lobster22221 posted:

Can you spoiler and tell me which page that is?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Lost Children is still what I consider peak Berserk, even though it has very little plot relevance. Kind of weird.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lost Children is kind of like a redux of the original Black Swordsman stuff, but with better art and a better sense of where the story was coming from and where it was going.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Professor Wayne posted:

Lost Children is still what I consider peak Berserk, even though it has very little plot relevance. Kind of weird.

I don't think Berserk has peaked.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I would say Lost Children is really solid archetypical Berserk. Everything before is golden age mercenary political drama, everything after is gods of darkness fulfilling the evil pope's prophecy. Lost Children was the last time we got a story of P U R E M O N S T E R S L A Y I N G

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Lost Children is a really good self-contained chapter which is a nice contrast to the massive sprawl that is the overall story. It's got good monster slaying action as mentioned and the ending is a bit of a tearjerker.

Lost Children owns.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

does anyone know what the scan quality is like on the darkhorse stuff offered through comixology that was mentioned earlier in the thread?

Two volumes deep and there looks to be rare white dots on a few panels. Otherwise seeing this in image quality greater than crumpled newsprint is phenomenal.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Lost Children is also great because it features the absolute best instance of the villain realizing how utterly hosed they are

Fighter jet demon impales the black swordsman, you can see the relief on her face but, oh no
You didn't kill him
You just skewered half his face
And now he's angry AND IN MELEE RANGE

:black101:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Professor Wayne posted:

Who needs plot relevance when you have thematic relevance?

Oh yeah that chapter is incredible.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Guts biting things is the hypest poo poo.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Lost Children might have the best reaction shots to Guts doing his thing. The demon tiger at that party much later on is funnier, but Puck and whatsherface's sheer horror at Guts really helps sell the fact that this guy is not entirely ok.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Lost Children threw me for a loop as to where the story was headed, and I mean that in the best possible way.

I thought all the other arcs in the manga would follow the same pattern of Guts wandering to a place with an apostle, killing them in brutal fashion, and an innocent onlooker's life being irrevocably changed by the encounter, for better (Jill) or worse (Theresia). I was feeling some archetypal Lone Wanderer poo poo ala the Mad Max movies, where Guts' character might change a bit over the arc, but we'd always find him in the same place at the beginning of each story, and it's more about how he'd change the character of those around him than any changes to himself.

I ended up being very wrong, but I can't say I'm disappointed. It's been great to watch Guts mellow out and embrace the role of Squad Dad.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

My Cuck Dad posted:

I thought all the other arcs in the manga would follow the same pattern of Guts wandering to a place with an apostle, killing them in brutal fashion, and an innocent onlooker's life being irrevocably changed by the encounter, for better (Jill) or worse (Theresia). I was feeling some archetypal Lone Wanderer poo poo ala the Mad Max movies, where Guts' character might change a bit over the arc, but we'd always find him in the same place at the beginning of each story, and it's more about how he'd change the character of those around him than any changes to himself.

You're describing Violence Jack.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I would say Guts is in the middle between Jack and Kenshiro.

EDIT: Bit off-topic, but I'm suddenly wondering how violent a crossover between Violence Jack and Fist of the North Star would be.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 20, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mraagvpeine posted:

EDIT: Bit off-topic, but I'm suddenly wondering how violent a crossover between Violence Jack and Fist of the North Star would be.

Depends who's in who's world, if it's Kenshiro in Jack's, there'd be a whole, whole, whole lot of already dead men.

Magnificent
Jun 17, 2005

I was not programmed for friendship.
Nap Ghost

My Cuck Dad posted:

Mushishi, except it's Guts.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Magnificent posted:

God Mushishi is so loving good.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The berserk musou is flawed but god drat is it fun

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Magnificent posted:

Hell yeah

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

My Cuck Dad posted:

i'm really glad it didn't

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Who loving cares about the Kentucky derby

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Edit wrong thread lmao

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Good soup! posted:

The berserk musou is flawed but god drat is it fun

It turned Wyald into a genuinely good character. That’s pretty impressive.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Good soup! posted:

first time I've heard the horse scene described this way

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Good soup! posted:

fuckin lol if you don't care about the kentucky derby and its fantastic horse names

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

U-DO Burger posted:

first time I've heard the horse scene described this way

And they're off; with Did Nothing Wrong in the lead, followed by Slab of Iron, Too Elf for this World, Whips for Bird Jesus and CLANG! dragging in the back as always!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i want to see miura do a kentucky derby manga

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
do you think by the time guts reaches midland again rickert will have built a ganishka sized wooden robot and also made out with all the hot ladies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

do you think by the time guts reaches midland again rickert will have built a ganishka sized wooden robot and also made out with all the hot ladies

Guts will come back to the mainland to find out that 50 years passed while he was on fairy island, Rickert has defeated Griffith and the other Godhand by rallying all the people against them, and has so effectively demonstrated the strength of human spirit that the combined optimism and hope for the future carried by all the population of the world has turned The Idea of Evil into The Idea of Good.