Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Reiley posted:

Remember when "a jar of piss" was an April Fool's joke weapon idea?

This but "a jet pack for the Pyro".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Countblanc posted:

This but "a jet pack for the Pyro".

Napalm you put on the ground and light on fire, for area denial.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
i was pubbing against a sniper with a pocket med and when i jumped him he threw piss on me

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

mabels big day posted:

Speaking of fun, have they unnerfed the caber and loch n load yet?

this is what killed my desire to play. loch n load was my favorite weapon

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Inescapable Duck posted:

I just use the Homewrecker. Occasionally even against enemy buildings.

this became my goto after the axtinguisher nerfs, and the game became 200% more satisfying when i could spend a round pissing off spies sapping the other side of a teleporter.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Simsmagic posted:

valve bring back arena mode

Lemuria forever!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dieting Hippo posted:

this became my goto after the axtinguisher nerfs, and the game became 200% more satisfying when i could spend a round pissing off spies sapping the other side of a teleporter.

I mean if you're using a pyro melee weapon then either you're doing something weird or something's gone horribly horribly wrong so you might as well pick something with utility.

Well, there's either that or the Neon Annihilator to go all pyroshark on Banana Bay, which is always hilarious.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

If your pyro melee isnt something that gets rid of sappers then i wont associate with you.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

so comp queues post update have gone from like 10 to 30 minutes to infinity and there is no sign that valve knows or cares that this is the case, and whatever they did to casual matchmaking to include a hidden rank seems to have just made every single match a complete stomp in one way or anothe

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

cock hero flux posted:

so comp queues post update have gone from like 10 to 30 minutes to infinity and there is no sign that valve knows or cares that this is the case, and whatever they did to casual matchmaking to include a hidden rank seems to have just made every single match a complete stomp in one way or anothe

They haven't outright said anything about it, but they are aware.

https://twitter.com/PazerFromSilver/status/979222075834429441

As for casual I haven't really noticed a difference, so maybe I've just been getting lucky.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

cock hero flux posted:

??? I've had much better casual matches since the update

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

??? I've had much better casual matches since the update

So far every match I've had has lasted exactly as long as it takes for one team to walk to and capture the point. Like, just disgustingly one sided. The sort of horrific stomp I used to see one out of every 10-15 matches now happens every match.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm finding just the opposite :shrug: I haven't played in months but I was used to steamrolls being the norm, I'm seeing a lot more back-and-forth now. There's still the occasional roll but they're always something obvious like "that team has 6 spies" that usually corrects itself.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
One odd thing that happened to me in casual today was when I was queuing with EU friends and we ended up in a Virginia server, even though again, we were all EU. :psyduck: Did all the Stockholm servers briefly die?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Butt Detective posted:

One odd thing that happened to me in casual today was when I was queuing with EU friends and we ended up in a Virginia server, even though again, we were all EU. :psyduck: Did all the Stockholm servers briefly die?

I've had that happen before I set a maximum ping when it comes to picking servers. I'd rather wait longer for an EU server than end up on a Virginia server with like 120+ ping.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
I imagine there will be an adjustment period while everyone's casual rank gets worked out before matches stop being one-sided stomps

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I played for a few hours last night and I thought the match making was vastly improved.Loads of close games with a high skill level. Medics hitting me with arrows from distance when I was low (having competent medics makes the game so much better).

I'm very impressed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Lemuria forever!

Who move watercooler?

edit: I'm playing this again for the foreseeable future on my glorious fanless $200 windows netbook of the future, look me up and let's go play

https://steamcommunity.com/id/hadlock11/

Or simply "Hadlock"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New patch came out today:

quote:

Matchmaking Changes
The initial load time into a match no longer counts against a player's abandon timer
Changed the timeout before a missing player is marked as having abandoned a competitive match to be three minutes from the first time a player disconnects from the server, rather than from the moment the match is formed
Queue times should now be significantly faster when dealing with large numbers of placement and recently-placed players in queue
Moved the Competitive MMR change notification so it no longer overlaps your rank
Fixed continuing to receive the prompt to rejoin a match after you have been dropped from said match
Fixed a case where players would receive a rank change in matches that dissolved due to abandon

General
Added a stomp animation to Pyro that plays when coming down after blasting off from the Thermal Thruster
Added HLPugs.tf tournament medals
Added Gette it Onne! tournament medals
Added TFCL tournament medals
Added Copenhagen Games tournament medals
Fixed Medics having an accelerated bercharge build-rate when healing full-health Snipers who are using The Razorback
Fixed being able to capture control points during setup time
Fixed the Golden Wrench not having an offset when using minimized viewmodels
Fixed the Private Maggot Muncher hiding the Soldier's hat when equipped
Fixed the Medic's auto-call feature not including enemy Spies disguised as the Medic's team
Fixed The Lugermorph not displaying when inspected in the backpack
Fixed unusual effects on the Brass Bucket rendering in the wrong spot
Fixed Mann vs. Machine late-join failing for parties of two or more
Fixed the Short Circuit orb not changing particle color after being deflected
Fixed the Short Circuit orb not being able to destroy rockets/grenades during the first 0.25 seconds of their lifetime
Updated models and materials for the Private Maggot Muncher
Updated the localization files
Also, here's a lengthy oral history of Quake Team Fortress if you're old or want to know what spawned this mess.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
decided to play a bit of solly, since it's the most reliable class to come back to after long breaks imo. first game i land 2 airshots im insanely proud of.

anyway, with that out of the way i started playing, wasn't doing all that great, but was top on my team. After a while, 2 guys with a matching clan tag and a guy with an epic ironic xXxXSniperAnimeSlayerXxXx tag all go spy, and backstab me, the console showing their only activity is killing me.
The people who play this game are so petty and spiteful it's honestly amazing.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

To be honest I wish more people would open their minds to the idea that TF2 is fun to play even if no one is mad at you.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

tf2 is a game about dominating other players and then smugly continuing to own them as their frantic attempts to kill you become more and more pathetic, tears and snot streaming down their furious red face as they flail and scream at their keyboards in a futile struggle to regain their dignity, while you yourself do not even deign to acknowledge their presence

it is also a game about becoming increasingly angry as that cheating gently caress neverendingly destroys you both physically and emotionally until you finally manage to get the drop on him and take your terrible revenge, the 400 rockets streaming towards you as you taunt over the corpse of your defeated opponent being a mere afterthought in the tale of your glorious vengeance

basically if you aren't RPing as either ahab or the white whale you aren't playing right

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I mean but that is like 40 years old and it's been done to death. Rocket jumping + meatshots still rule though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I like killing people and dying in funny ways.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

King Lazer posted:

I mean but that is like 40 years old and it's been done to death. Rocket jumping + meatshots still rule though.

Actually, Moby Dick is close to 170 years old :spergin:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
from hell's heart I market gardener thee; for hate's sake I spam my last keybind at thee

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I treat TF2 like competitive Jackass.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

tf2 is a game about dominating other players and then smugly continuing to own them as their frantic attempts to kill you become more and more pathetic, tears and snot streaming down their furious red face as they flail and scream at their keyboards in a futile struggle to regain their dignity, while you yourself do not even deign to acknowledge their presence

it is also a game about becoming increasingly angry as that cheating gently caress neverendingly destroys you both physically and emotionally until you finally manage to get the drop on him and take your terrible revenge, the 400 rockets streaming towards you as you taunt over the corpse of your defeated opponent being a mere afterthought in the tale of your glorious vengeance

basically if you aren't RPing as either ahab or the white whale you aren't playing right

tf2.txt

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
What about those of us who find delight in going onto public servers and being a medic the whole time? (I love how tough it is to keep a team of randoms alive compared to a genuine team).

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
It's a shame you can't view the profile of someone suspicious any more. Used to be you would check and it they only had something like 50 hours, or private, despite headshotting everyone, you could be fairly confident of them cheating. Now everyone is private unless they go out of the way to publicize everything.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i enjoyed the 2 days where i could find comp matches between them fixing the bug and me getting placed at 2000 mmr where there are apparently no players because I am once again getting 5 hour queues in what I would have thought would be prime time

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
This is still the best SFM ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzEemp1SLOM

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Another how it feels to play by Lazy Purple. Heavy Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_mwNcxuxwY

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

sorry man but it's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qZvIVsgJ_4

actually nvm rewatched your video and it wins

Jinh fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 21, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
we don't deserve modern lazypurple videos

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I'm never going to stop playing this stupid, ancient, dead, broken game, am I?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Same here. I’d say you’re in good company but we all probably need to be committed.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SilverSupernova posted:

yes, when you're dead, you will stop playing

unless hell is real, in which case no

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

SilverSupernova posted:

It's fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

SilverSupernova posted:

It's the best multi player shooter ever in my opinion. The art style means it never looks dated and the mechanics are so varied and fun.