Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://my.mixtape.moe/pqwfdv.webm

Pavlov is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Stick100 posted:

Get the SteamVR Beta, and the WMR Steam integration Beta. They just added reprojection in one or the other.

Excellent, I'll give it a shot, thanks!

In other news, I just tried The Talos Principle VR, having never played the non-vr version and it's incredible. This has become a must buy for me. Lucky it's on sale. Anyone that hasn't played it, give it a shot since it's free for the weekend on steam.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
considering how popular recroom remains, I don't think mii style avatars are that much of a detriment outside of this thread.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Excellent, I'll give it a shot, thanks!

In other news, I just tried The Talos Principle VR, having never played the non-vr version and it's incredible. This has become a must buy for me. Lucky it's on sale. Anyone that hasn't played it, give it a shot since it's free for the weekend on steam.

It is quite good, the only long VR game I've played.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Has anyone played "The Wizards"? I really liked The Mages Tale, and it looks kinda sorta similar to that, just curious if there are any issues with it and the Rift and if people think it's worth the $15.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Other folks with WMR, does your WMR driver for SteamVR show up as a title in Steam? I have it installed, and it's working fine, but I cannot find the application anywhere in Steam. It's not in the VR or Tools section. I'd like to know how to find it, should I have to reinstall it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Protocol7 posted:

Other folks with WMR, does your WMR driver for SteamVR show up as a title in Steam? I have it installed, and it's working fine, but I cannot find the application anywhere in Steam. It's not in the VR or Tools section. I'd like to know how to find it, should I have to reinstall it.

It's under "Software."

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Shine posted:

It's under "Software."

Jesus Christ, it is. :downs:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Is Fallout VR in a workable state for Rift owners? I don't mind doing some configuring at the beginning but I don't want to tweak things constantly after I start playing.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FBS posted:

Is Fallout VR in a workable state for Rift owners? I don't mind doing some configuring at the beginning but I don't want to tweak things constantly after I start playing.

Once you set it up I hear it’s fine. I still haven’t bothered though. I should. But I guess it’s not as bad as before to setup either.

Twibbit posted:

considering how popular recroom remains, I don't think mii style avatars are that much of a detriment outside of this thread.

Goons hate cute/childish?

I think it’s nice. Easy to look at.

Goons are weird. This thread can be weird.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

FBS posted:

Every time you start it you have to redo the controllers (basically just selecting the profile and applying it for each hand) but then you're done. It's still super janky and even on sale at $42 it's not worth the trouble, just play Skyrim until they bother patching Fallout.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

Has anyone played "The Wizards"? I really liked The Mages Tale, and it looks kinda sorta similar to that, just curious if there are any issues with it and the Rift and if people think it's worth the $15.

It's okay. Worth the 15$ it costs currently. Spellcasting via gestures is fun, and it looks nice. The gameplay was mostly wave shootery though - At least the bits of it I got to before I had to stop because of pain in my elbow caused by repeatedly jerking my hand from side to side throwing fireballs.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Geisladisk posted:

It's okay. Worth the 15$ it costs currently. Spellcasting via gestures is fun, and it looks nice. The gameplay was mostly wave shootery though - At least the bits of it I got to before I had to stop because of pain in my elbow caused by repeatedly jerking my hand from side to side throwing fireballs.

Awesome, appreciate it!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Grabbed a vive and am enjoying it a ton so far with pretty much just Super hot and Scanner Sombre :toot:

I love fast action games like God Hand, Devil May Cry, Vanquish, Bayonetta, etc. Anything that can help scratch that itch in VR?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CodfishCartographer posted:

Grabbed a vive and am enjoying it a ton so far with pretty much just Super hot and Scanner Sombre :toot:

I love fast action games like God Hand, Devil May Cry, Vanquish, Bayonetta, etc. Anything that can help scratch that itch in VR?

Get Sairento right this instant.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sounds like you need Gorn.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

homeless snail posted:

Sounds like you need Gorn.

aka TV destruction simulator 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hey Serious Sam VR is fantastic and you should get the Croteam VR Bundle for :50bux:

I'll try Talos Principle when I'm done murdering aliens.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Daynab posted:

I'll pass on the feedback y'all have given me to the team and see what we can do to polish it further particularly. I appreciate it, knew you wouldn't mince words.
I was very excited by the idea of being a gesture wizard in this game. I never got to that point, nearest I can tell it takes at least 20 hours of grinding or so (and "cheating" by looking up exactly where to go).

I did get past a bit of the low level UI jank and tried to play this game with a friend. I ended up phyically taking off my headset and going back and forth between the two VR rooms to try and coordinate since there's no way to chat with eachother until you're "in a party". He ended up spawning on a different shard of the same area, so even though we were telling eachother "meet me by the signpost" we just weren't there.

Finally we managed to get on the same shard somehow and group up, then go around killing rabbits. At this point some random 11 year old started excitedly talking to us about killing rabbits and I realized that I really don't want to play a game where I have to tell literal children they can't play with me.

And I never even got to try being a wizard.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get Sairento right this instant.

Yes, absolutely yes. Sairento is basically "man, I wish I could do all that stuff they do in the cutscene" except you're doing all of that stuff. It's insanely cool, and your spouse will think you look adorable playing it.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Re: Orbus criticism from this morning, sorry I hadn't responded yet, had a busy day today but I'll pass all the feedback on to the team. Bottom line is we need a lot more early user experience polish and that's our weakest spot for sure, and whoever said sorry for being harsh, don't worry about it - that's why I posted here, I know goons are always pretty direct in game criticism.

ShadowHawk posted:

I was very excited by the idea of being a gesture wizard in this game. I never got to that point, nearest I can tell it takes at least 20 hours of grinding or so (and "cheating" by looking up exactly where to go).

I did get past a bit of the low level UI jank and tried to play this game with a friend. I ended up phyically taking off my headset and going back and forth between the two VR rooms to try and coordinate since there's no way to chat with eachother until you're "in a party". He ended up spawning on a different shard of the same area, so even though we were telling eachother "meet me by the signpost" we just weren't there.

Finally we managed to get on the same shard somehow and group up, then go around killing rabbits. At this point some random 11 year old started excitedly talking to us about killing rabbits and I realized that I really don't want to play a game where I have to tell literal children they can't play with me.

And I never even got to try being a wizard.

I'm sorry for the bad experience :( the jank of being in the same instance is definitely an issue during an event like this because our zones cap out at a hundred players - you automatically get put into the same instance as your party members but since the first time you aren't on each other's friends lists to invite each other it's annoying. It's too late now but the workaround we tell people until we implement invite through name search is to put up an LFG listing through the menu and then your friend can message you from there and invite them. Once you are on each other's friends lists it's easy since you can just join party through that.

For the runemage, you can unlock it by going outside highsteppe to the waterfall (follow the lakeside, it's about 30 seconds away) and do a short quest chain. We don't have it unlocked by default because it's kind of an advanced class in terms of practice but everyone tends to gravitate towards it anyway since it's the most unique one. I hope you decide to give it another shot and have a better time. You can mute people who are being annoying as well, or report them if they are rude/aggressive and such. We try to be on top of that for bans.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

aka TV destruction simulator 2018

Turn on strict chaperone it's worth it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Used guardian editor to fix my guardian boundaries. SteamVR is correctly using the new layout, but it's still exhibiting the problem of my boundary being bigger than it should be. It's like it took my boundaries and scaled them by 1.25x. Is there a way to manually fix this?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PerrineClostermann posted:

Used guardian editor to fix my guardian boundaries. SteamVR is correctly using the new layout, but it's still exhibiting the problem of my boundary being bigger than it should be. It's like it took my boundaries and scaled them by 1.25x. Is there a way to manually fix this?

Use the chaperone editor thing then save a profile in advance settings. That’s basically the way I have to do it anymore.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Warbird posted:

The sale has caused a sobering realization that the “I own everything I remotely give a gently caress about” problem I get during sales now extends to VR. I need to get in itch.io and get me some weirdness. I did pick up Skyrim, so fiddling with that should be interesting.

I did the itch.io scrape recently, search via the VR tag, and it will get you most everything.

There is some interesting stuff there. But it's mostly experimental stuff that is trash except for one well done system

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

I'm no Viveologist but if ReVive works well with Robo Recall you absolutely must give it a go. You can launch enemies with a good melee hit/throw and then juggle them in the air with your guns. You'll be Dante-ing it up in no time

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 21, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Songbearer posted:

I'm no Viveologist but if ReVive works well with Robo Recall you absolutely must give it a go. You can launch enemies with a good melee hit/throw and then juggle them in the air with your guns. You'll be Dante-ing it up in no time

Be aware that it's not free through ReVive though, it's a full-price game.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Why doesn't every VR FPS do scopes like Serious Sam VR does? The sniper rifle's got a scope on top of it that you can look through and shoot enemies onehanded, or you can click the offhand shooty button to hold the rifle end with that hand to control it with both hands for more accuracy. I'm jumping around and if I see a scorpion or bull or something I want to quickly oneshot with the rifle, I can swap to it and without even closing an eye or bringing the rifle to my face I can just point the rifle at the target until they show up in the scope and shoot, or if they're far away I can stop and aim and get them in the sights reasonably quickly.

lol Fallout is such a crappy port in comparison, how did it get released with zero scope functionality? The patched scopes aren't even particularly good either.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hellsau posted:

Why doesn't every VR FPS do scopes like Serious Sam VR does? The sniper rifle's got a scope on top of it that you can look through and shoot enemies onehanded, or you can click the offhand shooty button to hold the rifle end with that hand to control it with both hands for more accuracy. I'm jumping around and if I see a scorpion or bull or something I want to quickly oneshot with the rifle, I can swap to it and without even closing an eye or bringing the rifle to my face I can just point the rifle at the target until they show up in the scope and shoot, or if they're far away I can stop and aim and get them in the sights reasonably quickly.

lol Fallout is such a crappy port in comparison, how did it get released with zero scope functionality? The patched scopes aren't even particularly good either.

Thats how every game but Fallout does it. Scopes just work like scopes should.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hellsau posted:

Because Fallout 4 is a badly-coded game on its own special snowflake gamebryo offshoot that was never intended for VR.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Daynab posted:

Re: Orbus criticism from this morning, sorry I hadn't responded yet, had a busy day today but I'll pass all the feedback on to the team. Bottom line is we need a lot more early user experience polish and that's our weakest spot for sure, and whoever said sorry for being harsh, don't worry about it - that's why I posted here, I know goons are always pretty direct in game criticism.
Very cool to see you taking on feedback like this. From my layman's perspective it seems like you're in the same trap as almost every MMO I've ever seen - wanting to focus on adding new features & content because the impression is that that is what brings in new players/keeps people playing, whereas in fact the most important factor in generating interest and a player base is about how well the core mechanics are constructed and how good/poo poo they feel.
This is awesome. Pavlov is indeed fun.

Hellsau posted:

Because Bethesda is a poo poo company

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I hate to kick something thats already been getting flack, but my biggest problem with orbus every time I tried it, back through early beta tests was the magic system.

I know after putting work into something like that, they'd be loath to scrap it but its just such an awful feeling way to cast spells, especially in vr. For those unaware you draw symbols in the air and (when it works) it then casts the spell. Its basically a system like I remember from some old dos RPG's that had you draw spells with the mouse, or some nintendo DS games, and it just feels so wrong, boring and flat. It doesn't feel adapted to VR at all.

Compare it to something like The Unspoken, which is the best spell casting in VR I've seen, and it falls even more flat. In that game you have basic low power attacks that are easy to cast and you have to throw and aim. Then you have more powerful spells that need mana, where you have to do motions to activate, like crossing your breaking them apart for a shield, doing a sort of haduken push with both hands for a powerful homing spell, and doing a spread hand then back kind of thing for an area effect spell. Lastly you have sort of "reagent" based spells that are the most powerful, and each is activated a different way: fire javelin you grab a hammer that appears and hit the spots that light up on an anvil that appears floating in the right order before you can throw it, or drawing a sigil, folding paper, assembling a sort of golum, etc.

They're all very physical, fun, and engaging in VR. They're different, they don't get repetitive, and they feel powerful. With Orbus, its all the same, draw a flat shape in the air with your stick, only problem is how finicky the system is so half the time the spells don't go off. I think that part could be fixed by say, instead of free drawing, have a sort of sigil of 8 points or whatever appear in front of you and connect the dots in different combinations to do different spells. That would at least solve the problem of it feeling inconsistent and frustrating, but it would still leave all the spells bland and boring to use in VR.

I really think they need to take their magic system, and rebuild it from scratch. I'm sure thats not fun, or something they wouldn't want to do when they could add new dungeons, etc, but its such a weak aspect of the game it kills it for me. If they aped Unspoken, and had basic low power easy attacks, attacks that used mana and were motion based (twirl your hands for a whirlwind, cross for a shield whatever), and then more powerful reagent based spells that involved manipulating objects, an ammo of some sort, in unique ways.

Just, I mean... use VR for gods sake, don't treat magic like a nintendo DS game, let people feel like powerful wizards. It would go a long way to improve the game in my eyes. Theres other issues, but people have already mentioned them so I just wanted to blab a little about my own personal annoyance with the game for some time.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Stick100 posted:

Anton has said it will not be on sale while it's in early access. I don't know how much longer he's discussed it being in early access.
And I hope it never gets out of Early Access! Normally I am a person who tells anyone who might listen to never under any circumstances buy a game that is in early access or as it should be called "We're trying to figure out how to make a game so here's a Unity | Havok | Cryengine | GameMaker demo and you can pay us to learn that games are hard". You're paying for something that is not a game and you'll grow tired of it before it has enough content to be considered one and then the maker will just stop updating because everyone has lost interest.

H3VR is always evolving into new things and Anton is delightful, creative, and a consistently productive developer. I bought it back when it first debuted and was underwhelmed with it being a lackluster realistic shooting gallery. Since then a constant stream of new and evolving features have made this a title I can come back to time and time again. Wurstworld has been my favorite so far with its mix of horseshoe-pitching challenges, shooting skill tests, puzzle mechanics and wacky old-timey firearms with regular silliness thrown in. Everybody should buy this game so he keeps getting $15 enough to continue to produce new content and systems.

With everyone playing Skryim VR I have to bring up my favorite thing from pancake Skyrim which is this bit of fan fiction I refuse to let die:

Dragon Bron: "Can I get new armour?"
Sure.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Tell me about rifle stocks for the Vive. I've been looking at the protube stock but I'm really wondering how the bar underneath the controllers interferes with reloading in games like H3VR.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mr. Peepers posted:

Tell me about rifle stocks for the Vive. I've been looking at the protube stock but I'm really wondering how the bar underneath the controllers interferes with reloading in games like H3VR.

I have one with the Oculus cups and it does sometimes interfere with reloading but I get used to it quickly and it becomes a non-issue.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Mr. Peepers posted:

It sounds like magnetic cups are going to be available soon so it might be worth waiting a bit before buying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of curiosity, are there any general recommendations for a stand for a Vive headset? Possibly one with charging stands for the Wands?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
So got my Widmo Lens Inserts for my Oculus and wow that’s so much better than trying to get my glasses in and out of the headset constantly they look perfect and easily snapped inside the headset.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any general recommendations for a stand for a Vive headset? Possibly one with charging stands for the Wands?

Personally, I'd suggest against a stand instead get a hook then you can always hang your Vive such that any water/sweat would drain out instead of stay near the display.

Ex. https://www.command.com/3M/en_US/command/products/~/Command-Large-Wire-Hook/?N=5924736+3294529207+3294772780&rt=rud I use this and it works well. You can usually pick them up for like $2.5 each at Walmart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Edison was a dick posted:

It sounds like magnetic cups are going to be available soon so it might be worth waiting a bit before buying.

Mamut also has a stock that is already magnetic and the guy who makes it is nicer.

http://mamutvr.com/