Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
The worst super hero

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43840505

'World's worst' super-gonorrhoea man cured

Not only is he super-gonorrhoea man, he's the worst of them all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

New Zealand is a fictional place created by J.R.R. Tolkien, duh. :rolleyes:

Can confirm :

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BgRdMchne posted:

Can confirm :

Japan doesn't exist either! I loving knew it! Anime was created by the US government to try to create more virgins to fight global overpopulation!

It all adds up.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

kiwanime

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jesus it's like this came true

quote:

The Republican gubernatorial nominee apologized today for an off-the-cuff remark suggesting that some victims of rape should ''relax and enjoy it.''

The candidate, Clayton Williams, had initially played down the remark as being a joke.

Women's groups and political opponents of Mr. Williams strongly criticized the candidate for the comment.

It ''questions his ability to understand the kinds of problems faced by the people of Texas,'' said Ann Richards, the State Treasurer and a runoff candidate for the Democratic gubernatorial nomination. ''Rape is a crime of violence.''

Mr. Williams made the remark on Saturday while preparing for a cattle roundup at his West Texas ranch. He compared the cold, foggy weather spoiling the event to a rape, telling ranch hands, campaign workers and reporters around a campfire, ''If it's inevitable, just relax and enjoy it.''

Mr. Williams Apologizes

Later on Saturday, Mr. Williams said it was merely a joke and apologized ''if anyone's offended.''

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The weird headline part is that they considered "I'm sorry that you're offended" to be an apology

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, those are really expensive "gaming" chairs that are a point of pride to own, despite being less comfortable than a regular office chair.

Don't most streamers of note get that poo poo sent to them for free by the companies that make them? Sad, if tons of people are actually buying them .

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

The weird headline part is that they considered "I'm sorry that you're offended" to be an apology

Considering that Ann Richards preceded Bush that might have been an og "sorry. not sorry"

Sure the Greeks probably did it first but it must be some kind of precedent

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Japan doesn't exist either! I loving knew it! Anime was created by the US government to try to create more virgins to fight global overpopulation!

It all adds up.

I know Japan is real, it's the small country with monkeys AND snow.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/987209513395740675

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
US National Guard members reprimanded for 'disrespectful' dinosaur puppet oath

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I thought this was how Pastafarians pledged oaths. :confused:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oaths are creepy and weird and wtf punishing someone for saying the oath theyre supposed to say. what if she had the puppet behind her back, or the guy crossed his fingers? OH NO THE WORLD IS ON FIRE

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Krankenstyle posted:

oaths are creepy and weird ...

I think this part is mostly on you.

Agree with the rest.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that is on me, yeah.

i just wonder why it doesnt make you uncomfortable to say an oath or sing a song?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Krankenstyle posted:

that is on me, yeah.

i just wonder why it doesnt make you uncomfortable to say an oath or sing a song?

Cause it don't mean poo poo.

I can say the words without embracing their meaning especially if it'll get me a job I want or just get me through the day if it's some official nonsense

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Burkion posted:

I can say the words without embracing their meaning especially if it'll get me a job I want or just get me through the day if it's some official nonsense

That's how I feel about life. :shrug:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Burkion posted:

yea i can say the words too, its the idea of it man

otherwise if you dont care, i want you to sing the first two verses of Deutscland über alles or something

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Krankenstyle posted:

otherwise if you dont care, i want you to sing the first two verses of Deutscland über alles or something

Why would I sing something that isn't even acknowledged as part of their national anthem anymore?

Unless you want to twist this into some weird Godwin bullshit

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Krankenstyle posted:

Why yes, swearing an oath to the United States is exactly like swearing one to the Third Reich. :pwn:

If you know this is your hangup I'd have thought you wouldn't try to pretend it's rational or normal.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

making children say the pledge of allegiance is p hosed up imo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

making children say the pledge of allegiance is p hosed up imo.

Oh, are we moving the goalposts already?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Why yes, swearing an oath to the United States is exactly like swearing one to the Third Reich. :pwn:

If you know this is your hangup I'd have thought you wouldn't try to pretend it's rational or normal.

Congrats, you’re normalized to indoctrination! :cheers:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

Oh, are we moving the goalposts already?

im just saying man, having children pledge allegiance to something they cannot understand is p hosed up.

e: also this and that post were in no way ironic.

Roobanguy has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Apr 21, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

if it dont mean poo poo then sing the nazi song ... you can even pretend you did and just post that you did without doing it, its fine

after all, you dont have to embrace the words

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So you're trolling then.

Actual godwin in TYOL 2018 Christ

You couldn't even make it like, the NAMBLA pledge or something? Maybe whatever the gently caress the current ultra right wing bullshit is?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dude

im not trolling, im asking you to consider the consequences of your words

you can say the nambla pledge if you want to i guess

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Krankenstyle posted:

dude

How about the Green Lantern pledge

Because here's the problem with what you're doing- either all pledges are equivalent, meaning that the dumb comic book superhero pledge about how nightlights will save us from the dark is exactly the same as the screed of a people duped into following a maniac who wanted to, and did, commit mass genocide.

Or you're making false equivalencies to try and make a belabored point about why you dislike the idea of them despite the fact that 99% are inane at worst.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

im just saying man, having children pledge allegiance to something they cannot understand is p hosed up.

e: also this and that post were in no way ironic.

Hey, I understand and agree. But let’s not muddy up the waters and distract from Krankenstyle’s strawman regarding someone from the military taking their oath of service.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Burkion posted:

How about the Green Lantern pledge

Because here's the problem with what you're doing- either all pledges are equivalent, meaning that the dumb comic book superhero pledge about how nightlights will save us from the dark is exactly the same as the screed of a people duped into following a maniac who wanted to, and did, commit mass genocide.

Or you're making false equivalencies to try and make a belabored point about why you dislike the idea of them despite the fact that 99% are inane at worst.

green lantern pledge is fine. any pledge is fine, if you stand by it and youre not forced to say it...

that was my whole point: its gross to make children say pledges but its ok to be an adult and say a pledge if you like it (even if it is a little weird still)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Proteus Jones posted:

Hey, I understand and agree. But let’s not muddy up the waters and distract from Krankenstyle’s strawman regarding someone from the military taking their oath of service.

who cares about the military you weirdo

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wtf weird derail is this, knock it off you buggers

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Did this get any coverage in the thread, I don't remember:

https://twitter.com/winnersusedrugs/status/987806011221131265

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wtf weird derail is this, knock it off you buggers

I pledge allegiance to knocking it off.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"buggers" is an extremely problematic invective

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

"buggers" is an extremely problematic invective

Orson Scott Card has a lot to answer for

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

dude

What point are you even trying to make? I just sung the first verse, it's just words. And the consequences are that I'll get arrested if anyone overhears cause I'm German.
It's such a weird kind of projection to go "oh yeah you don't care???? but I think words are bad and wouldn't do it so surely you must be the same" when the guy specifically told you he didn't care.