Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kragger99 posted:

Welp, finally got a switch tonight. Loving it so far.
Grabbed Mario, and Zelda BOTW, and also Binding of Isaac. Killed mom on my first try. I guess 140 hours on the PC version paid off. Saw a few new things I've never seen before, so that makes it even more worthwhile.
Just a question regarding the DLC for BOTW - is it more tailored to end game/NG+, or can I play/access everything at the start?

The DLC is spread throughout I guess. It adds a bunch of unique collectible items and outfits to find right off the bat (none of which can be upgraded so its most useful early on). The meat of the DLC is mid-game (Master Sword Trials require you to have gotten through a fair chunk of the game) and late game (The Champion's Ballad stuff is all after beating the four big dungeons of the game).

Its good but by no means required :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Raserys posted:

does giant bomb like anything because whenever I see them brought up its about how much they hate x

All Systems Goku is a good podcast and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Zore posted:

The DLC is spread throughout I guess. It adds a bunch of unique collectible items and outfits to find right off the bat (none of which can be upgraded so its most useful early on). The meat of the DLC is mid-game (Master Sword Trials require you to have gotten through a fair chunk of the game) and late game (The Champion's Ballad stuff is all after beating the four big dungeons of the game).

Its good but by no means required :shrug:

on the other hand the DLC gets you Hero's Path, which is just a blue line that shows you where you've been since you started your file. You can see it all at once, or you can play the timeline from the beginning if you want to see your progress in action

imo Hero's Path is absolutely required if you are enjoying the game enough to want to see most of the landscape/come across a much larger chunk of shrines than you otherwise would have in a single file

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
giant bomb liked mario odyssey and botw so their taste is pretty bad imo

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
that's it, this thread has insulted my friends one too many times

I'm gonna sign up to giant bomb premium just to spite you lot of jerks!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hero’s path is literally worth the cost of the DLC

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wish they’d at least recognize that it has an issue and fix it.

They... Did. There are three hardware revisions.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kragger99 posted:

Welp, finally got a switch tonight. Loving it so far.
Grabbed Mario, and Zelda BOTW, and also Binding of Isaac. Killed mom on my first try. I guess 140 hours on the PC version paid off. Saw a few new things I've never seen before, so that makes it even more worthwhile.
Just a question regarding the DLC for BOTW - is it more tailored to end game/NG+, or can I play/access everything at the start?

Mostly mid to end game stuff but there’s a few outfits you can use early.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It seems like the revisions still have issues though?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Thanks for the replies on the BOTW DLC!

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
The Pro Controller D-pad is fine. The problem is Tetris is programmed to do a drop when you press diagonal up.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

yet i hear it's still not fixed

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Apparently the pro controller put me in a rage-induced fugue state during which I ordered the SN30 Pro from 8bitdo. Turns out it’s really excellent! The ergonomics are a little weird, cramming all those extra controls on a pad that shape, but the d-pad is excellent. I immediately loaded up KOF and was ripping out Scum Gale -> 3x Deadly Flowers with no issue. Then popped into Mark of the Wolves and did a bunch of 360s with Rock. It felt so good.

I still wish it had 6 face buttons for when the Street Fighter collection shows up. Maybe Hori will do a wireless Fight Pad?

creationist believer posted:

The Pro Controller D-pad is fine. The problem is Tetris is programmed to do a drop when you press diagonal up.

It’s wild how wrong you are.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 21, 2018

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

It actually really sucks, sorry.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

(I may have said it in this thread before) but I work in a peds burn unit and they reward kids' recuperation with toys, sometimes very expensive toys (like, $150 Lego sets or Xbox 360/1st gen Ones). I'm all for rewarding therapy, and have floated the idea of Labo sets and an in-house Switch. Nintendo just revealed the price of the replacement robot body is like $14, which is NOTHING in comparison to a lot of the stuff they give out. Hell, we have replacement VR visors (there's a little VR setup in the playroom) that cost more than that.

There are four main points to the rewards and why they choose specific toys. They:

1: Distract from the painful recovery/procedures

2: Add "normalcy" to a hospital stay

3: Promote educational or physically-therapeutic play

4: are patient-specific. Things like game consoles can get shared around (as long as they are disinfectable), but other things like Lego are given. You can't really clean and share Lego for another patient.

It sounds really dumb, but Labo is near-perfect for something like that. Judging from the Tested Labo review videos, the different kits can take awhile to assemble, but have milestones during the assembly. Since they are (relatively) cheap cardboard, they are obviously kept by the patient and not shared, and assembling things can really give a sense of accomplishment to a kid, as well as work their hands (hands are the most commonly burned body part, and especially with kids you NEED to keep them using their hands -- if they don't they'll contract during healing and they'll end up with permanent disabilities).

We already get donations and have those Starlight Wii/Xbox One carts that get moved around (called Starlight Fun Centers). Starlight doesn't have any Switch carts yet (they only got the WiiU in 2015), but I'm hoping something comes to fill that gap. The Switch works great while offline, whereas the Xbox One units are garbage and always want 1+GB online updates from our lovely hospital internet that takes literally 3-4 days to download, meaning the kids can't play Minecraft or whatever.

❤️❤️ not a lot to say here except that I love this. Hope Labo is cool for the kids you're working with, that seems like an awesome fuckin use case

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hate to be a buzzkill, but the labo robot pack has multiple replacement kits. All of them combined make a complete unit.

Straps/string/grommets and washers 10
Knobs 6
Main body 14
reflective stickers 2
sliders 10
visor/feet/joycon holder 6
straps 6
weights 8

comes to 62$ plus tax

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat960195

The cartridge can probably be disinfected and reused easily.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
remember when everyone was like 'no biggie when your three year old stomps it, replacement packs will be like $12'

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Thought I was in the giant bomb thread for a minute.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Stan Taylor posted:

It actually really sucks, sorry.

No need to be sorry for me, I'm too busy experiencing flawless controls with my Pro Controller on my flawless Nintendo Switch.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doorknob Slobber posted:

remember when everyone was like 'no biggie when your three year old stomps it, replacement packs will be like $12'

That applies to the variety pack, not the robot.
You can get the entire piano cardboard set replaced for 12.

But you might also need the 10 dollar accessory pack for variety kit specific reflective stickers, grommets, and sponge stickers.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Doorknob Slobber posted:

They are. Some are even cheaper. The fishing rod is only $9 and the piano and motorbike are exactly $12. But if you frick an entire robot instead of just a part of it, of course that is going to be more expensive. I don't think anybody was saying the cardboard in the $80 kit was only $12.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And if you only need to replace the cardboard, and the grommets/rubber bands/string and such are fine, then you only need a replacement pack, and a 3 dollar sheet of reflective stickers.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Seeing the GB video now and yeah, the robot is pretty drat involved. Plenty of kids will absolutely gently caress it up during their first try

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
the piano looks extremely my jam however, kinda wish I could buy it standalone for $20 or something because ehh $70 is a bit rich for the variety pack

I could also get a handful of sweet titles from my wishlist for $70, meh

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Pharohman777 posted:

Hate to be a buzzkill, but the labo robot pack has multiple replacement kits. All of them combined make a complete unit.

Straps/string/grommets and washers 10
Knobs 6
Main body 14
reflective stickers 2
sliders 10
visor/feet/joycon holder 6
straps 6
weights 8

comes to 62$ plus tax

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat960195

The cartridge can probably be disinfected and reused easily.

Nah, that's okay. If we ever do it, it'll most likely be the variety pack, because that has more time investment/variety of activities, and like that poster said you can get replacements for the individual ones for cheap.

For a burn patient, whose bills regularly run into the million dollar range (thanks, USA - though they often pay much less it's still absurd) foundations donating a few hundo apiece to kids is chump change, on the order of a rounding error.

I personally really like the robot kit, but I don't know of too many patients that could be served with the full-body suit. Plus, playtimes are often on the order of a few hours tops, spread into multiple sessions during the day, due to how medications and dressing changes affect the kids, so smaller projects are probably more their jam. Plus, often not having full-body movement available (and if they do, we have the VR setup which is way cooler than a robot, sorry Nintendo). But the RC cars, house, and even piano I could see as being a mass-purchase for playtimes. It's the first thing I thought of when I saw the reveal trailer.

The Lobster posted:

They are. Some are even cheaper. The fishing rod is only $9 and the piano and motorbike are exactly $12. But if you frick an entire robot instead of just a part of it, of course that is going to be more expensive. I don't think anybody was saying the cardboard in the $80 kit was only $12.

I kinda misimplied that, sorry. Didn't mean to turn the conversation that way.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I would pay $140 for the look on my dad's face when that little bug/car started moving. Like a kid on Christmas. Once an engineer, always an engineer. He hasn't stopped talking about it all day. I told him tomorrow we'll make the fishing rod and he'll really see something cool.

E:

I kinda misimplied that, sorry. Didn't mean to turn the conversation that way.

No biggie!

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 21, 2018

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Please details on the fishing game when you finish.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
All those replacement part prices sound pretty fair, I was expecting replacing that stuff to be quite expensive. That's pretty cool. I've several posts from parents on twitter who are doing LABO stuff with their kids and all of them are like "this poo poo rules my kid is loving it"

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

bushisms.txt posted:

If I'm the first one done, sure thing!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

if your kid breaks their poo poo for no reason, it's 100% free to not replace it and also probably better parenting

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wish they’d at least recognize that it has an issue and fix it.

Mine had the problem and I did the firmware update on the controller thing which I didn't know about before, and it actually fixed it.

Not saying this works for everyone but it's worth a shot.

Edit: whoops missed a page of argument about this. Anyway give it a try?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

if your kid breaks their poo poo for no reason, it's 100% free to not replace it and also probably better parenting

It’s cardboard I don’t think it’s fair to blame a clumsy six year old for breaking it.

Unless you Ayn Rand.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No need to be sorry for me, I'm too busy experiencing flawless controls with my Pro Controller on my flawless Nintendo Switch.

Wow cool

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Who the gently caress wants Night Trap on anything including Gods Switch?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

bushisms.txt posted:

I lust for the fish details as well

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
how do i get super mario world

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

Me. I was very sad that it wasn't there for the initial rerelease and now I'm gonna buy it again.
Hopefully it supports the touch screen.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Junkie Disease posted:

Gonna be a lot of novelty purchases.

Including me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s cardboard I don’t think it’s fair to blame a clumsy six year old for breaking it.

Unless you Ayn Rand.

I still have some cardboard things from when I was six. Unless your kid is an ogre or has some sort of disability, they can be careful with their poo poo.

It might break, but you shouldn't expect it all will unless you haven't taught your kid to loving be careful

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Labo is cool and good, I made the RC car with my kids today and we made part of the motorcycle that we'll finish tomorrow. Seems like the RC car needs a certain surface to really work well though. Also, maybe I didn't put it together properly but it seemed like the joy cons didn't totally fit properly into the chassis? Seemed like it affected performance of the red joycon.

I wonder if we'll see any third party knockoffs of the cardboard layouts sometime soon. Doesn't seem like it would be difficult to do if you have the hardware to make them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Lobster posted:

I would pay $140 for the look on my dad's face when that little bug/car started moving. Like a kid on Christmas. Once an engineer, always an engineer. He hasn't stopped talking about it all day. I told him tomorrow we'll make the fishing rod and he'll really see something cool.

E:

No biggie!

The amazing thing about the HD rumble is that it is so strong it can create crude music as well as move a little rc car.

• Locked thread