Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The next God of War should just be an American Gods adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I release the dragon in Viethguard? I killed the boss and unlocked everything on the island?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I like how they get around having to depict heroic gods by just killing Tyr before the game started. While we're on the subject, I'm curious if the depictions of the as of yet unseen Norse gods will as relatively complicated as Freya and Baldur, or as simplistic as Magni, Modi, and how Mimir and Freya describe the Aesir.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Are there any discounts available for this anywhere? Looks like greenmangaming is about the cheapest, at 10% off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Le Saboteur posted:

I felt bad about killing Jesus.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

moree games should have puzzles you solve by throwing an axe at them

I've only played for about 40min and I alrdy agree

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I like that some ancient dudes built a puzzle door that can only be opened if a) specific areas of the spinning disc mechanism have corroded and fallen off and b) you have the ability to freeze and unfreeze gears from long range

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
drat this game is tough, and I’m only on normal. Does everything just one shot you on the highest difficulty?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ok so that boss fight was definitely not what I expected. Way different from fighting the colossus of Rhodes or Poseidon but very cool. Challenge was satisfying when I got him 3 tried in, no fuckin way would I have been ready for give me god of war

Feel like I won’t have as much “oh cool there’s ___” since I know just about nothing regarding Norse mythology though :(

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

psychoJ posted:

Atreus is a good kid with a good head on his shoulders, how dare u

I see your sarcasm, but truth be told, once Ellie hit in Last of Us there was no going back to little dumbass kids as companions.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RatHat posted:

drat this game is tough, and I’m only on normal.

it really is

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
The game feels awesome but why is there only one stun grab kill animation per enemy type?!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

I would play the gently caress of that game.

My first what the hell this is awesome has been the dragon. It made me just happy to see the big and powerful byte the dust.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I poop socked this for easily 5+ hours today. It's pretty awesome, although a little messy. It's kind of trying to do everything. It really wears it's Naughty Dog and Dark Souls influences on it's sleeve. I just ditched the main quest to go do random poo poo once it was available and it kind of felt like a weird Frankenstien of every popular game mechanic of the last 5 years. It's drat fun though. I do like it a lot, but I also find myself going "ok, this is from this game, and this is from this game..." as opposed to thinking it's doing anything noteworthy.

The axe is really cool and probably the most individualistic thing about it. Otherwise it kind of feels like a "best of" playlist of 2010's games. It's not a bad thing, but it's super blatant where they looked for inspiration. And God of War was not particularly high up on the priority list.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 21, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This lady's house is dope.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Witch? Yeah that was amazing looking inside and out.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

The witch’s sanctuary was breathtaking, especially when you get to her actual house

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Mandrel posted:

The witch’s sanctuary was breathtaking, especially when you get to her actual house

Shes waifu material. I hope we get to meet many smart womens to build a cool harem. But this is god of war. Realistically it will be weird if kratos dont end murdering everything we see in the game

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 21, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How does this loving game just get better and better as you go. The only way my brain can frame this game is that it's the video game rendition of steadily ascending heavy metal riff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

These side areas are amazing. You think you're just doing cleanup detail for some dead guy next thing you know you're ascending a mountain while a dragon breathes fire at you to epic choir music.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also the combat gets very spicy once you are powered up. It's a good dynamic as you progress. Suddenly you are in full blown battles throwing an axe, using your skills (you are frosty Thor and Atreus is Rocket Raccoon) and are acting like a god of war.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm digging the combat the more I play of it, but I wish I could crank my look sensitivity up juuust a smidge sometimes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also WHAT'S THAT RUNE SAY BOIIII

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

BOY-EH

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dad in the middle of Atreus playing in the big game "ACCEPTABLE".

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh, Teal'c, you're such a gruff dad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

JBP posted:

Also the combat gets very spicy once you are powered up. It's a good dynamic as you progress. Suddenly you are in full blown battles throwing an axe, using your skills (you are frosty Thor and Atreus is Rocket Raccoon) and are acting like a god of war.

Once you start incorporating everything in your moveset you really start to feel like a boss. When I first started out I favored the axe, but now I've maxed out my shield talents because Kratos' fists are just as good and shield parries are awesome. Setting up those R3 grabs with Atreus, knockin' dudes off cliffs and into walls, get rekt (when I'm not dying 8 times in a row to wolves).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Once you start incorporating everything in your moveset you really start to feel like a boss. When I first started out I favored the axe, but now I've maxed out my shield talents because Kratos' fists are just as good and shield parries are awesome. Setting up those R3 grabs with Atreus, knockin' dudes off cliffs and into walls, get rekt (when I'm not dying 8 times in a row to wolves).

The shield slam into shield megaslam (accomplished by punching shield) is off the hook.

E: good skills are also the ones that pull the axe back and perform an attack. I just wish there was a quick throw axe button because you can twirl that baby like a baton.

JBP fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 21, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
BOY

WildChyld
Dec 20, 2003
Entirely too metal for one hand: \mm/
jesus loving christ i think i made a mistake playing on the hardest difficulty. this game is insanely hard. I spent about 7 hours playing thus far and am only on the “escape the river” portion of the game. it just seems overly punishing by making enemies HP sponges and this whole enemy level upgrading mid-fight mechanic.

does anyone have any tips for this game mode? upgrades? moves, etc? id rather not start this game over. is there light at the end of the tunnel with upgrades, weapons/gear or do i need to continue to be a masochist?! help me!!!

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:sweatdrop:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 21, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Soul eaters aren’t fun to fight, at least the one you fight in that mine as a favor to Brok. Small window to slightly hurt him while he can two shot you with his fast ranged aoe attacks

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I just had the ending spoiled for me.

Don't let this happen to you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

LoS him behind a pillar and toss your axe into his chest, then go punch him until he fall down go night night.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao I think my DS4 is failing, getting left stick weirdness and Kratos walks forward whenever I hold down L2 lmao. Hope it's low bat bs but my luck it finally gave out after all dat carball.

Guess I need to buy a new one after work tmw RIP.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I am not very good at the combat in this game but it is a very pretty and good game and I am getting better at it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I accidentally aim instead of block every time. I don't know why I can't get it into my skull since I really want to parry then punch poo poo in the face with the shield.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Any PS4 Pro owners getting ridiculous fan noise with this game? Like, unbearably loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

paint dry posted:

Any PS4 Pro owners getting ridiculous fan noise with this game? Like, unbearably loud.

Only time I've noticed it is in the menu playing for a shirt stint before.