Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Paavo is teaming up with Harkimo, you heard it here first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
gently caress you Paavo you turncoat, we need you to keep pissing in Sipilä's cereals while Hjallis is doing the same to Orpo! Kepu pettää aina :argh:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nenonen posted:

gently caress you Paavo you turncoat, we need you to keep pissing in Sipilä's cereals while Hjallis is doing the same to Orpo! Kepu pettää aina :argh:

I voted for you Paavo! :qq:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

DarkCrawler posted:

I voted for you Paavo! :qq:

:same:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's funny how Corporation Now (or should it be Business Now?) is exactly the sort of thing that has been tried in countries like the US where it has failed miserably; "radical centrism" that is trying to gin up anti-system appeal by embracing the trappings of a populist "people's party" movement while having the same old neoliberal policies.

In short, it's pölhöpopulismi only when it's something op-ed writers and Björn Wahlroos don't like.

edit: e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americans_Elect

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 21, 2018

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I don't know if anything can save SDP at this point but getting rid of Jungner is a good first step

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Didn't Macron just conquer Ranska with some such?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The existing parties were exceptionally terrible with very bad candidates and Macron actually formed a party; Business Now apparently is not interested in forming a party and seems to be aiming for a Muutos 2011 style strategy. Anti-system rhetoric loses its power if you are running a party of your own.

I don't see things going quite that horribly for the Finnish parties in the next election. Rinne is bad but not Benoit Hamon or Francois Hollande bad (plus the PS had had the Presidency which made things even worse). France was kind of like a perfect storm since the PS was crippled and the non-Macronist right-wing parties were embroiled in scandals.

In retrospect Macron's elevation/election feels like a Trump type black swan event, including the ephemeral surge of popularity that took both candidates over the line just, but which has gone with the wind when the reality of governing set in.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sulphagnist posted:

(plus the PS had had the Presidency which made things even worse)

:confused:

:aaaaa:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

doverhog posted:

Didn't Macron just conquer Ranska with some such?

Makarooni voitti koska toinen ehdokas oli natsi.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Makarooni voitti koska toinen ehdokas oli natsi.

Kind of like how Trump won.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Speaking of France, the court in Lyon refused to return a family of refugees to Finland because they would most likely be sent to Afghanistan. France considers the country a danger zone, and sending them back to Finland would only work as a proxy route, since Finnish authorities consider the unstable state safe to live from their interpretation of the same data French and Finnish authorities use. Thus this would be considered a way to circumvent an order to not send back vulnerable people. This is actually the second time in a year a decision like this has happened, the first one being Iraqi asylum seekers in January. This is by no means unique to just Finland, but it does highlight how countries still take differing approaches to the migrant crisis.

Internal minister Kai Mykkänen (cock.) finds it "distressing" that a big European country doesn't trust our asylum process, and has started an internal survey on the issue.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I can already write the selvitys for you:

"In both instances this is a single appellate court in one country. All the courts in Finland are a-ok with this, as are all the other countries in the Dublin system, so it's just an aberration." Or read between the lines, "there's one or two crazy judges in Lyon making everyone else look bad."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Eivät Paavon manööverit Paavon, Keskustan ja Suomen pelastamiseksi (tässä järjestyksessä) näytä toteutuvan, taaskaan:

quote:

- Tämä on keskustalta aika ratkaiseva askel. Tarjouduin tukemaan Sipilää, että hän olisi saanut jatkokauden pääministeriksi, mutta ehdotukseni tuli hylätyksi.

Väyrynen tarkensi myöhemmin Iltalehdelle, että hänen ehdotuksensa - eikä hän itse - tuli hylätyksi.

Väyrysellä oli myös näkemys keskustan tulevaisuudesta.

- Nyt keskusta etenee kohti raskasta tappiota.

Oi kunpa.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Voi vittu, koko kansan Teuvo on taas pulassa.

Nyt on tulossa syytteet pahoinpitelystä ja ahdistelusta.

Voi Teuvo minkä teit.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Eikö tämä Teuvon ahdistelu jo ala riittämään???

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Hallis must loathe Hakkarainen and people like him. They are the complete opposite of the pseudointellectual messaging he represents. Then again they bring in votes, so maybe not.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

doverhog posted:

Hallis must loathe Hakkarainen and people like him. They are the complete opposite of the pseudointellectual messaging he represents. Then again they bring in votes, so maybe not.

He needs him more than ever, because social democratic parties in Europe are adapting anti-immigration policies. This is in part is eating the far-right parties voter bases, so we might hear Antti Rinne calling for tighter restrictions (if it even is possible) which will probably resonate with the blue-collar workers that used to vote for SDP but later on took their vote to TF. Of course, in the end it all depends on if the working class considers Hakkarainen as one of them or an embarrassment.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

A blue MP is crossing the aisle to join kokoomus. The blues are making a big dog and pony show of being upset but I'm not holding my breath on anything actually happening because of this, given that they've already committed to riding this trainwreck all the way to cushy jobs or candidacies in kepu and kokoomus. Kaj Turunen just took a head start on that.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

He needs him more than ever, because social democratic parties in Europe are adapting anti-immigration policies. This is in part is eating the far-right parties voter bases, so we might hear Antti Rinne calling for tighter restrictions (if it even is possible) which will probably resonate with the blue-collar workers that used to vote for SDP but later on took their vote to TF. Of course, in the end it all depends on if the working class considers Hakkarainen as one of them or an embarrassment.

Eh, for the unbelievable shitheads who vote for him this is probably a mark of pride or something. Showed those feminazis!

Sulphagnist posted:

A blue MP is crossing the aisle to join kokoomus. The blues are making a big dog and pony show of being upset but I'm not holding my breath on anything actually happening because of this, given that they've already committed to riding this trainwreck all the way to cushy jobs or candidacies in kepu and kokoomus. Kaj Turunen just took a head start on that.

every loving day with this goddamn government :allears:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Looks like the NC heads knew of Kaj Turunen's elopement for two weeks in advance. Sampo Terho is furious and accusing NC of rocking the boat.

Just another day in the parliament, then.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

DarkCrawler posted:

every loving day with this goddamn government :allears:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The blues are totally hapless and cornered and they have no way out of this outside of shooting for the moon and pulling down the coalition, which they don't have the guts to do. It's kinda funny that a bunch of former persu MPs, of all people, is somehow imagining that staying in government with steely eyes and acting like valtionhoitajapuolue will get rewarded at the ballot box. That only works for kokoomus.

If you're a blue and not planning to switch parties and defect, you also have no plans of continuing in parliament after the next elections, or you're a moron, or all of the above since you're in the blues.

I really wonder if Terho has drunk the kool-aid or if he's so frustrated and bitter because he realizes there's gently caress all he can do about kokoomus picking them off one by one.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Meanwhile on Yle Puhe today there was some economist explaining that the economy improving is proof that the kiky-sopimus worked. Except when the journalist asked questions about how it worked it was really about how it was the correct time for it. The correct time being the global economy improving and improving the Finnish economy along with it. And that growth had been going on for a while before kiky. But really it was the kiky-sopimus that did it, honestly.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I think it's one of those crazy internet challenges, "belong to three or more different parties within a year" sounds about as reasonable as snorting a condom.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Darkest Auer posted:

Meanwhile on Yle Puhe today there was some economist explaining that the economy improving is proof that the kiky-sopimus worked. Except when the journalist asked questions about how it worked it was really about how it was the correct time for it. The correct time being the global economy improving and improving the Finnish economy along with it. And that growth had been going on for a while before kiky. But really it was the kiky-sopimus that did it, honestly.

Economy going good is because of us, not because of the world. Economy going bad is because of the world, not because of us. Basic right-wing economist mantra.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Sad trombone.wav

That was a pretty quick #hallituskriisi.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Sulphagnist posted:

Sad trombone.wav

That was a pretty quick #hallituskriisi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BinWA0EenDY

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What's this I hear about Finland ditching universal income? Did the experiment fail?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's this I hear about Finland ditching universal income? Did the experiment fail?

VASTIKKEETONTA RAHAA

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Arvatkaapas kenen vuoro on tänään pitää oma tiedotustilaisuutensa eduskunnasta?!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

punk rebel ecks posted:

We decided to stick to just doing it for the rich as usual, to the tune of 4 billion a year I think.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I mean, was it working at all? Like reducing poverty and upping social mobility.

Darkest Auer posted:

VASTIKKEETONTA RAHAA

I don't speak Finnish.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't speak Finnish.

Speaking is what foreigners do.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean, was it working at all? Like reducing poverty and upping social mobility.

It wasn’t even really tried

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't speak Finnish.

Basically they set up a tiny little experiment to show that they were totally seriously considering UBI, really guys! We won't get the results until next year, but they'll say that UBI just doesn't work and we need more active social security or whatever they'll be calling it at that point. If the results happen to say something else, they'll ignore them and say we need more active social security or whatever they'll be calling it at that point.

Silly unemployed, government handouts are for corporations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
So far the results are inconclusive, but the anecdotal evidence points that the basic income like system helps some people to get a job while with others nothing has changed. But since we have a right-wing government, they just poo-poo the results and go straight for the sticks.

Incidentally, I read some blog posting in YLE in remembrance of the 100th anniversary of the Finnish civil war, and some shmuck who very much believes in the whole alternative Freedom War moniker thinks the active model is today's version of violently culling the revolutionary reds after the war. Which is, uh, an interesting historical point of view.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Finance sector is hosed up, news at 11

Eat the rich posted:

Investointipankki Merill Lynchissä valuuttakauppiaana työskennellyt Stenfors vääristeli sijoitussalkkunsa arvoa finanssikriisissä 2009. Viikkojen ajan hän ilmoitti ostojensa ja myyntiensä erotuksen sadalla miljoonalla dollarilla suuremmaksi kuin se oli.

Se oli mahdollista, koska kukaan ei valvonut hänen toimiaan. Hän valvoi itse omaa kirjanpitoaan.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

Stenfors tunnusti lopulta itse tekonsa esimiehilleen. Hänen lasketaan aiheuttaneen työnantajalleen runsaan 400 miljoonan euron tappiot.

Häntä ei tuomittu, hän ei saanut sakkoja eikä hän joutunut vankilaan toisin kuin monet muut vilpistä kiinni jääneet välittäjät, koska hän ei rikkonut lakia.

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://m.iltalehti.fi/politiikka/201804242200900110_pi.shtml

Hahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHA