Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Could someone explain the different between the Soviet DD lines to me?

So the Khaba line has cruiser-level stealth, high-evasion, high-range gunships with yolo torps. They are terrible cappers (for a DD), but harassers par-excellence.

The Groz line is a little like a modified Gearring, but slower-firing, much straiter trajectories, slightly worse torpedoes and comparable AA. The biggest difference is engagement distance - Groz wants to be further out using its trajectory advantage, Gearring likes to be in knife range leveling its full dps advantage. Which you prefer in this case comes down to small play-style differences, but they're quite similar in a lot of respects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ironically, Udaloi fits the Khabarovsk line better than Trashcan. However, Trashcan gets 49s torpedo reload so there is that. Udaloi is amazingly fun, but Grozovoi is the worst tier 10 destroyer currently.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MYAGyZlBY0
:shepface:

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
Zao Trip Report:

Was worried after the Ibuki grind that the ship wouldn't live up to expectations.

I was wrong to doubt. The upgrade is massive by the difference in shell velocity and arc alone. It has workable armor, unlike Ibuki's "just-enough-to-catch-everything-everywhere" layout. Because shell accuracy is so good
at range it has a huge increase to fires in distance scenarios despite having almost the same fire chance. It shits all over every BB but a conquerer in an open-water 1v1 unless they get the personal blessing of RNJesus, and that's mostly
because you can't leverage range and concealment as well against conq. It's Simple-Simon easy to eradicate destroyers from a very comfortable range. AA isn't super but it's firmly in "good enough" territory with DFAA, same as Ibuki.
Only big downside is not having an option of 10km torps, but I can live with that (especially considering they're stupidly fast in compensation).

Always loved the Atago play-style.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Game over.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

I'm still extremely bad at this but this was three straight games. The Alsace is bonkers.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

I'm so, so sorry. I can't stop laughing. Of all the luck.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Insert name here posted:

You understand that the rendering delay isn't like, an actual game mechanic and instead varies from person to person based on how potato their computer is yeah?

Absolutely; however, we already have to concede that it is not entirely hardware dependent, because otherwise nothing Wargaming does would ever “fix” the issue.

There are steps they can take with rendering priorities to minimize the problem, which as we’ve pointed out involves speeding up or slowing down different processes.

My statement regarding client communication is just to say this, before your client on your machine knows to render someone who is just spotted, it has to receive information from the server that someone has been spotted.

This presents serious issues to the idea that, in all cases, as soon as someone meets the criteria “spotted” they can be instantly rendered. Given that, what is really the big deal if they “slow down” the minimap to make sighting, rendering, and map appearance as simultaneous as possible on each client?

That is what I do not understand.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

ZombieLenin posted:

This presents serious issues to the idea that, in all cases, as soon as someone meets the criteria “spotted” they can be instantly rendered. Given that, what is really the big deal if they “slow down” the minimap to make sighting, rendering, and map appearance as simultaneous as possible on each client?

That is what I do not understand.

It gives people a second or two extra of total stealth, which can be a big difference in certain situations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

davejk posted:

It gives people a second or two extra of total stealth, which can be a big difference in certain situations.

But an even playing field of big difference, as opposed to "lol sorry your computer wasn't OP enough" people blapping someone who literally can't see them yet.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

toadee posted:

But an even playing field of big difference, as opposed to "lol sorry your computer wasn't OP enough" people blapping someone who literally can't see them yet.

Think about how a 2-3 second spotting delay applies to these situations:

- A DD with 5.4 concealment pushing a cap against one with 6.* - you wouldn't have a window to outspot the enemy DD and turn before entering detection range

- Short-duration radars, like Chapayev/Donskoi/Moskva - 20% of your radar duration would be entirely useless rather than just mostly useless

- Trying to evade incoming fire from an unspotted battleship by observing the minimap - you'd lose maybe half your reaction time

I'm sure there are other weird edge-case situations like this where it'd be an unintentional nerf to a lot of ships. It sucks as it is, delaying the minimap to match would just remove one of the tools you have to work around it sucking.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

It's all moot because flamu sperged hard enough that they went back on the change. They minimap will update as it does in 0.7.3, the 3 model and 3d effects are synced with each other, and they are going to work toward syncing the model as close as they can to the minimap.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Easiest solution: REMOVE MINIMAPS

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

I keep trying other cruisers but then keep coming back to the Graf Spee because it is exactly what cruisers should be. It sucks rear end at fighting battleships and the HE might as well not exist, but in exchange it is an excellent skirmisher, shits all over other cruisers, and can bully dd's off of caps whenever it wants.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

DonkeyHotay posted:

I keep trying other cruisers but then keep coming back to the Graf Spee because it is exactly what cruisers should be. It sucks rear end at fighting battleships and the HE might as well not exist, but in exchange it is an excellent skirmisher, shits all over other cruisers, and can bully dd's off of caps whenever it wants.

Have you considered the Cleveland instead? It does all of that AND ALSO fights battleships and eats aircraft for breakfast.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Cobbsprite posted:

Have you considered the Cleveland instead? It does all of that AND ALSO fights battleships and eats aircraft for breakfast.

I have a Cleveland but I can't seem to make floaty shells work and I'm opposed to HE on general principle

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

DonkeyHotay posted:

I have a Cleveland but I can't seem to make floaty shells work

use the mousewheel to zoom out

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

:q:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

DonkeyHotay posted:

I have a Cleveland but I can't seem to make floaty shells work and I'm opposed to HE on general principle

Learn to lead, makes everything easier. Based on time to target I generally lead battleships by 1x, cruisers by 1.5x, and destroyers by 3x

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Damnit, just went pink because I didn't notice a Tirpitz was wandering right in front of me while I was spamming HE in smoke and of course the 2 shells that hit him caused a fire (meanwhile the 86 that landed on the enemy didn't). He didn't even die, but he didn't repair. I realize in a perfect world I wouldn't be so tunnel visioned on the scope view, but we were completely roflstomping and I was just sitting there in smoke capping and spamming. Sigh.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
Becoming pink is very easy right now. I think the threshold is like 10k damage which is not a lot.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Herr Bazooka posted:

Becoming pink is very easy right now. I think the threshold is like 10k damage which is not a lot.

It really is easy, especially when people do everything in their power to get underfoot and gently caress with you.

Makes me wonder how the new system with punishment levels is really going to shake out. I'm never really salty enough to kill someone on purpose but if there's an enemy that needs to Die Right Now, sometimes you have to take a risky shot for the sake of your team.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Learn to lead, makes everything easier. Based on time to target I generally lead battleships by 1x, cruisers by 1.5x, and destroyers by 3x

This is good advice for Cleveland. Practice makes perfect, and practicing in the Cleveland is just plain FUN. You get to poo poo out buttloads of shells, and watch them rain down all day long. It's such a deep, visceral pleasure.

And to be honest, you've got decent AP against battleships at closer ranges. You need to aim for their superstructure instead of the belt armor, but you can give them a really hard time.

fake edit: okay, I'll get off my Cleveland fan-wagon. I was getting really discouraged with CA gameplay after taking the IJN line all the way up to the Myoko, but Cleveland solved all my frustration. I'm just in love. I hope the switch to the new CL line doesn't hurt my baby.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Cleveland's going to get put in a much nastier MM bracket, but all accounts suggest it's going to get extremely more dangerous. 6.5 second reload, a full toolkit incl. radar, and probably more stuff I've forgotten.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

what the gently caress is the design philosophy behind the conqueror? no citadel, bullshit strong he that means you never have to shoot ap, and a super strong heal?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

DonkeyHotay posted:

what the gently caress is the design philosophy behind the conqueror? no citadel, bullshit strong he that means you never have to shoot ap, and a super strong heal?

:britain: :supaburn:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DonkeyHotay posted:

salt farming

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

To get torpedoed repeatedly by me.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

is this the flippant way of saying who cares about balance?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

DonkeyHotay posted:

It's not really unbalanced though, just unfun to play against.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

DonkeyHotay posted:

"let's take everything bad about this game, turn it up to 11, and put it on one ship"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DonkeyHotay posted:

yeah sure let's keep going down this path, it has potential

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

christ gently caress tier 10 matches

match before my team had two shimakaze, one with 900 games played in it with a 33% w/r, the other with 250 games played, also 33w/r in it. we did not win.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Wolfy posted:

It's not really unbalanced though, just unfun to play against.

It's incredibly unbalanced for any number of reasons. Sure, from a pure "winning games" perspective it may not technically be OP due to being somewhat weak at directly leading a push or diverting fire from the weaker ships, but as an actual ship it is incredibly bullshit.

Just to start with, there is absolutely no reason it should have had an underwater citadel and 1/4 penetration with its HE - both could be heavily changed without making the ship underpowered at all.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

yeah sure let's keep going down this path, it has potential

ok, as far as i can tell it actively rewards or even encourages lazy, thoughtless gameplay.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

DonkeyHotay posted:

ok, as far as i can tell it actively rewards or even encourages lazy, thoughtless gameplay.

yes, this is world of warships. you must be new here.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

DonkeyHotay posted:

I believe that they wanted to make a line of anti-battleship battleships because all the other ones are effectively immune to each other.

They kind of didn't ever consider what those ships would do to cruisers/destroyers though.

See also : AP dive bombers, deep water torpedoes.

They really need to realize that they have to nerf battleships directly, because these indirect attempts are seriously not working out.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DonkeyHotay posted:

match before my team had two shimakaze, one with 900 games played in it with a 33% w/r, the other with 250 games played, also 33w/r in it. we did not win.

How!? Are they actively shooting up their teammates as much as they can?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ST. New campaign.

New permanent campaign "Hit hard! Hit Fast! Hit often!" is added to the game. The campaign tells about the military career of Admiral William Halsey Jr.

ST. New commander.

William Halsey is added to the game as a unique commander. He has both talents and improved skills.

Expert Loader skill
-75% (up from -50%) to reload time when shell type is switched

Expert Marksman skill
+3 (up from +2.5) deg/s to traverse speed of guns with a caliber up to 139 mm
+1 (up from +0.7) deg/s to traverse speed of guns with a caliber above 139 mm

Hit hard! talent
After receiving the Confederate achievement, the ship under Halsey's command gets following bonuses:
-20% to the main battery reload time
-20% to plane service time
-10% to torpedo reload time

Hit fast! talent
After receiving the Double Strike achievement, the ship under Halsey's command gets -10% to base detection radius, which can accumulate if a player receives the achievement multiple times during a battle.

The ship that William Halsey is assigned to will have a unique pennant and colored tracers for the main battery shells. Upon receiving achievements that activate the talents, fireworks will be launched from the ship.

--

and to balance up the IJN

ST. Yamamoto Isoroku commander.

Yamamoto Isoroku receives improved skills.

Expert Marksman
+3 (up from +2.5) deg/s to traverse speed of guns with a caliber up to 139 mm
+1 (up from +0.7) deg/s to traverse speed of guns with a caliber above 139 mm

Preventive Maintenance
-45% (up from -30%) to the risk of incapacitation of modules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

It's incredibly unbalanced for any number of reasons. Sure, from a pure "winning games" perspective it may not technically be OP due to being somewhat weak at directly leading a push or diverting fire from the weaker ships, but as an actual ship it is incredibly bullshit.
What does this even mean? If something is unbalanced it’s better at winning games than other ships. All the conq does is rack up tons of repairable damage. The guns are incredibly difficult to punish broadsides with the dispersion and AP that seems to not want to find battleship citadels.

I agree that it’s absolutely terrible when a conq decides to shoot your battleship, but I don’t think that’s a balance issue, just lovely gameplay.