Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/959113144663764992

If this isn't the new movie I don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The MSJ posted:

This looks like big news. And big news has big guts. Rip and tear.

https://twitter.com/ninabergman/status/986377088989937664
I don't know who this is is and I don't think I've ever seen her in anything but she has loving rad hair

I can't wait to see her wield the BIG loving GUN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6boljtalKDA

Also I hope there's another Nine Inch Nails song in this one

Also if Mick Gordon could score it, that'd rule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHRuTYtSbJQ

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
If they could squeeze a little MF Doom in that would be cool too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mick Gordon definitely needs 1 or 2 tracks in the new Doom movie. 2016 Doom was fuckin' rad as hell.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gonz posted:

Mick Gordon definitely needs 1 or 2 tracks in the new Doom movie. 2016 Doom was fuckin' rad as hell.

It was a really surprising thing that it was not just good, but loving outstanding.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JethroMcB posted:

TWIST: Joe Chill never existed and Bruce killed his own parents to give himself a "reason" to be a monster.

(somebody's done this in the last 80 years right)

I think it's been the backstory of at least one 'Bruce Wayne but evil' type character. Possibly Hush? And Owlman, kinda.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it's been the backstory of at least one 'Bruce Wayne but evil' type character. Possibly Hush? And Owlman, kinda.

Michael Keaton will have his revenge on Gotham

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's hundreds of different versions of Batman, many of them with twists on how his parents were or weren't killed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_versions_of_Batman

quote:

Li'l Batman appeared in Superman/Batman #51-52 (October to November 2008). He is from an alternative universe inhabited by childlike versions of the main DC Earth. In this universe, Bruce Wayne becomes Li'l Batman after his parents are pushed down by a bully

quote:

The Batmage of Earth-33 was from a world of magic. His parents were murdered by the sorcerer Cobblepot who cursed him into his world of darkness, from which he made himself a master of the dark arts and an avenger of justice.

quote:

In the opening of the DC Bombshells continuity set during World War II, Bruce's parents are saved from Joe Chill's attack thanks to the baseball superheroine known as Batwoman.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The best Bat is the insane post 9/11 Miller

It transcends the cowl

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Grant Morrison and Lazerbot of Tails Gets Trolled fame both came up with different stories where Alfred is the true villain

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

quote:

In the opening of the DC Bombshells continuity set during World War II, Bruce's parents are saved from Joe Chill's attack thanks to the baseball superheroine known as Batwoman.

Ok now I need to know more

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ok now I need to know more

"DC Bombshells" is an entire line where various female characters are designed in the style of old bomber pinup art, and then this set of one-off images got its own weird continuity, and things like "a baseball superheroine, because there is literally no other reason she'd be named Batwoman" came about.

Hawkgirl is basically titty-Rocketeer. It only gets weirder.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That whole line started out as some pin-up/40s nosecone art/rockabilly fan art that some random guy was selling at a con back in 2011:

Some DC guy saw them and went "Hey they're actually pretty cool" and commissioned an official release of statuettes based on them and also released some variant covers for their current books in that style and they went over pretty well so the characters were given their own ongoing comics title.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One comic has Batman save an alternate timeline Bruce Wayne's parents from getting killed and it's implied that Bruce Wayne becomes Batman out of awe and gratitude to save people like the mysterious masked stranger saved his parents.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So many timelines, but they couldn't find one where superhero comics are worth a drat.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Grant Morrison and Lazerbot of Tails Gets Trolled fame both came up with different stories where Alfred is the true villain

Gaiman came up with a story where Alfred pretends to be the Joker to keep Bruce occupied:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hush cut the brakes on his parents car. Hates Bruce Wayne because his dad (before his death) saved them, iirc.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So many timelines, but they couldn't find one where superhero comics are worth a drat.

That probably the DC Universe where the mass murderer Superboy Prime got banished too, which he spend his days powerless in his parents house posting on message boards. This isn't a joke either.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Gaiman came up with a story where Alfred pretends to be the Joker to keep Bruce occupied:

Oh, yeah, it was Gaiman not Morrison. They both like to get weird with Batman so that's why I got them mixed up.

Alfred did a better job than Cesar Romero too.

Here's the Tails Gets Trolled version.

Rirse posted:

That probably the DC Universe where the mass murderer Superboy Prime got banished too, which he spend his days powerless in his parents house posting on message boards. This isn't a joke either.

The most meta of villains, he hated the direction DC Comics went in and wanted to 'fix' it.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My idea for a twist on Batman's origins has always been "some powerful and unscrupulous figure came up with the idea of a Batman, became extremely attached to it, and then successfully implemented a convoluted plan (which included, among other things, killing Bruce Wayne's parents) to make Bruce believe that it was his own idea". Guessing that this has already been done at some point?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

21 Muns posted:

My idea for a twist on Batman's origins has always been "some powerful and unscrupulous figure came up with the idea of a Batman, became extremely attached to it, and then successfully implemented a convoluted plan (which included, among other things, killing Bruce Wayne's parents) to make Bruce believe that it was his own idea". Guessing that this has already been done at some point?

That sounds almost like what Amanda Waller tried to do in the DCAU but the would-be killer (the Phantasm oddly enough) backed out at the last minute. Also secret genetic fuckery to turn another man's sperm into Bruce Wayne's sperm was involved. And the kid turned out to become the new Batman anyway.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

21 Muns posted:

That's basically what happened to Terry McGinnis in Batman Beyond. Amanda Waller wanted to create a new Batman since Bruce was getting old so she took Bruce's DNA and altered a guy (Terry's dad, without his knowledge) so that any child he had would basically be Bruce's kid. They then waited until Terry was born and then around the age Bruce was and hired Andrea Beaumont (the motherfucking Phantasm) to replicate Bruce's parent's death. Although she ends up refusing to do it. Then Terry ends up becoming Batman through happenstance.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Must there be a Batman?

Yeah looks like it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Batman Beyond Gotham was objectively lovely without Batman around so, yeah. Also future Superman got mind controlled which probably wouldn't have happened if there was a Batman on the League.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Possibly not on purpose but the future Justice League had a skeleton crew compared to the old one, possibly implied that mind controlled Superman's been killing off potential members for years.

Though there were also cryptic references to the 'Near-Apocalypse of '09' where Ra's Al Ghul's original body finally died and possibly a good chunk of the original League.

They shoulda expanded and recruited Zeta.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Bombshells comics are actually really good!

They did a line of male Bombshells/pin-ups too, which were pretty neat.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The best Batman is the one that never existed and the second best is the timeline that Frank Miller's DKR wasn't cribbed from or had influence.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Best Batman was Zorro.

Followed by The Shadow.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Best Batman is Bat-Mite.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I like the one where it's the future and Damian-Man sells his soul to Satan or whatever

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Grant Morrison Grayson-Bats is peak Batman and I will fight anyone who crosses me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Grant Morrison Grayson-Bats is peak Batman and I will fight anyone who crosses me

My Batman Fucks

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I think you will all find the best Batman is Batman of the Future

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
In real countries it's called Batman Beyond, but yes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Best Batman is Batman Forever. Batman's at his best when he's camp.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cythereal posted:

Best Batman is Batman Forever. Batman's at his best when he's camp.

Batman forever is really bad camp tho.

The only one that really did camp well was the West version.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah Batman 666 is the best one.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

In real countries it's called Batman Beyond, but yes.

No it is Batman of the Future

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Bed, Bat, and Beyond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...