Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MizPiz posted:

Gotta admit, he looks like the chumpiest Rogue Traders in the galaxy. How am I supposed to take him seriously when he can be out dressed by a grunt in the Scintillan Fusiliers?

That said, the hams are absolutely wrong.

Well, the Rogue Trader isn’t ~*~F.a.n.cY~*~ enough imo, but Hams are always wrong about everything and always the loving worst.

E: Also this:

Foxtrot_13 posted:

You are missing the most important point that makes him under-dressed. No hat!

How can you take a Rogue Trader seriously without a magnificent hat!

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
You can forgo the hat but if and only if you have a cybernetic eye that looks like a stylized pirate eyepatch.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

unseenlibrarian posted:

You can forgo the hat but if and only if you have a cybernetic eye that looks like a stylized pirate eyepatch.

Servo Polly want a cracker?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

MizPiz posted:

Gotta admit, he looks like the chumpiest Rogue Traders in the galaxy. How am I supposed to take him seriously when he can be out dressed by a grunt in the Scintillan Fusiliers?

That said, the hams are absolutely wrong.

It’s almost like they only see him as being some fraction of a proper Rogue Trader. Somewhere around 3/5.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is that a Howling Banshee sword?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Well, if it is it'll be hella awkward if the Eldar try calling him mongkeigh.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

That's no Rogue Trader!

That's better.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
That dude looks like he either just started out as a rogue trader or he’s navy. Not nearly enough bling. Awesome art though, he does look like a badass.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Lone Badger posted:

I can only see five skulls! That man is practically naked.

I see 13.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jack B Nimble posted:

It looks great. I like any rpg art that isn't overly stylised. Is there a place I can see more?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/WrathandGlory/photos/?ref=page_internal

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Most of the art is good, it's just that having a clean style fights against drawing a rogue trader.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He shouldn't have trousers on, like Zapp Brannigan.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Foxtrot_13 posted:

You are missing the most important point that makes him under-dressed. No hat!

How can you take a Rogue Trader seriously without a magnificent hat!

I would also add no glorious longcoat. We're trying to stay on brand here, people.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rockopolis posted:

I just realized how little I'd ever want to carry an Imperial plasma weapon that close to my junk. All it takes is forgetting to let it cool off after a firefight...

Hey, they're safe now. Someone found the "doesn't overclock cooling systems" setting switch in 8th edition.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cythereal posted:

Hey, they're safe now. Someone found the "doesn't overclock cooling systems" setting switch in 8th edition.

Plasma is so busted in 8th. There's no reason to take anything else if you have the choice.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Cythereal posted:

Whoops. Well, DH2 still uses the old kind, so puritan bitching about Tau pulse weapons being "for the weak of faith!" still stands.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's just to lull people into a false sense of security, so that when a Mek deploys his Awesomely Energetic Light-show Field (destabilises all unshielded plasma generators to create cool looking sparks, makes things blow up as a pleasant side effect) they freak the gently caress out.

Yes it has the acronym of "Aelf", no that is in no way intended to be a plot hook scrawled on a number of papers found around dead bodies that the players think is leading them towards some intricate plot of subtle Eldar interference.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rockopolis posted:

Whoops. Well, DH2 still uses the old kind, so puritan bitching about Tau pulse weapons being "for the weak of faith!" still stands.

Also, the Tau now have overheating weapons that can explode and fry them. :v:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Yeah, at minimum his coat should be half unbuttoned and two feet longer.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

goatface posted:

Is that a Howling Banshee sword?

I kind of love that Rogue Trader art for this reason. Does he look a little understated compared to previous art? Perhaps. But he's got skulls to the nines and he has a goddamn Howling Banshee sword (or at least an Eldar Power Sword) - he doesn't need a long coat or a jacket, the drat sword (and Plasma Pistol next to his junk) is the statement.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The guys art style is great. Here's his DA page. https://bryansyme.deviantart.com/gallery/ This poo poo is on point.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

S.J. posted:

The guys art style is great. Here's his DA page. https://bryansyme.deviantart.com/gallery/ This poo poo is on point.

You have no idea how hard I was wishing that he'd made the corner of the parchment she's holding be smoldering slightly.

It's RIGHT above the loving candle!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

S.J. posted:

This is a different artist. The Rogue Trader artist is Alberto Bontempi (deviantart).

They've also been posting art by Florian Stitz (deviantart).

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Felime posted:

You have no idea how hard I was wishing that he'd made the corner of the parchment she's holding be smoldering slightly.

It's RIGHT above the loving candle!

Isn't the Ecclesiarchy's paper made out of human flesh? Would that burn the same way wood based paper does?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

MaliciousOnion posted:

This is a different artist. The Rogue Trader artist is Alberto Bontempi (deviantart).

They've also been posting art by Florian Stitz (deviantart).

poo poo, that's what I get for not paying attention. Thanks.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

MizPiz posted:

Isn't the Ecclesiarchy's paper made out of human flesh? Would that burn the same way wood based paper does?

You mean parchment, or vellum, right? Which people used, and still use in real life.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Sormus posted:

You mean parchment, or vellum, right? Which people used, and still use in real life.

I just remember hearing or reading somewhere that almost all paper in the Imperium comes from humans, and as far as we know it could be closer to skin than actual paper.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

They've already got servo-skulls, so might as well use the rest.
:eng101: Anthropodermic Biblopegy
I like the example of a dude who was like "I tried to rob you once but you were pretty brave, so hey, here's my memoirs, bound in my skin!"

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The book of logar is written on the flayed skin of loyalist space marines slain at istavaan

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Waroduce posted:

The book of logar is written on the flayed skin of loyalist space marines slain at istavaan

All I ever wanted was the truth to find a guy who didn't have backcne...

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Sormus posted:

I guess you might get parchment that long if you spiralled a full grown cow, but their skin tends to be tougher than usual parchment sources.

I suppose a grimderp genetically modified parchment snake-mammal that they slit open and roll up for the big pieces is possible.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Idiot doesn't even have any digiweapons, not going to last long.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Rogue Traders are supposed to be 300-year-old insane commodores, they should at least give that guy some robot parts and a big hat or something

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

He's a 1st level Rogue Trader. The big hat will come.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The average Imperial Guardsman has more bling than that guy

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I think that dude needs at least a servoskull or grapplehawk or to otherwise look like he's in 40k. I think the clean minimalist look is the exact opposite of what 40k is about as a setting. Everything is deeply lived in, there have been generations of humans before you and there will be generations after you, as long as you don't gently caress up. The RT corebook has a dude who looks like a rogue trader as the interior art.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 27, 2018

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cythereal posted:

Also, the Tau now have overheating weapons that can explode and fry them. :v:

? Did they forget how plasma worked between editions? Are they close combat dudes now or just worse in general?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I'm going to have to agree that that dude is terribly underdressed for a guy important enough to be using an Eldar sword.
But we all know that isn't the reason most of the dickheads on Facebook are mad.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Going at it from the wrong angle - 40K is totalitarian enough that he can order people to admire his finery on pain of excruciation. A bit like the Emperor's New Clothes, though the 40K version would be wearing a force field and a bunch of strategically placed digital weapons to display the glory of the human form :heysexy: and also spray incandescent plasma from his dong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Relevant Tangent posted:

? Did they forget how plasma worked between editions? Are they close combat dudes now or just worse in general?

They're about the same as they ever were, but they have more weapon options now and ion weapons, now a widespread weapon type available to infantry and battlesuits alike, include an overcharge setting for more damage at the risk of frying their user.