Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I just had the ending spoiled for me.

Don't let this happen to you.

Youtube is basically a no go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Nightmares are the wooooorst

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

paint dry posted:

Any PS4 Pro owners getting ridiculous fan noise with this game? Like, unbearably loud.

Yeppers

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Since the stranger ive died no less than 3 times per combat area and ive loved every loving minute of it.

Long way to go though ive only gotten the one tutorial upgrade

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So the compass is worse than worthless, huh
I'm in I assume the first hub area, after meeting the world serpent, on an island where I have to destroy three shrines to release a dragon and the compass completely freaks the gently caress out and will point me in the direction of the last shrine supposedly but apparently I'm getting away from it then it will freak out and move the marker all over the compass wheel.
Also I don't appreciate how a bunch of puzzles are just pixel hunts

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I haven't checked how many hours I've got invested yet but I've just hit the part where you get the second arrow type and so far this game has been a pretty big disappointment. It's not bad, just really doesn't live up to the hype.

The story completely fails to provide any meaningful sense of engagement. Lots of unanswered questions which could certainly help or be partially addressed by now, but at this point the entire driving factor is to fulfill the mothers last request. That would be fine, except you know nothing about the mother by this point. Never even seen her. The only investment the player has in the story is that Kratos and Atraeus apparently feel it's worth it.

The higher difficulties are hard, but not challenging. I think this may just be because I've only played a couple games where the controls were a limiting factor in the past couple years (on a console at least). I constantly feel like if I just had a mouse where I could rapidly shift my view (aside from just a complete 180) and aim quickly the game would be pretty drat easy. I get that the whole point is you don't have that ability but it makes the challenge feel artificial and not rewarding to me.

I've unlocked a good chunk of the skill tree but I rarely use any of the abilities granted by it, at least until I lowered the difficult and felt the game offered me the chance to do so. The shield stun bonus, block break, and evade sweep attack I use constantly, but a lot of the rest I ether forget about because they don't seem that effective or take extra time to setup (like the bit R2 attack or the multiple enemies with a single throw) that you just can't afford to use when a single hit or two can be devastating. I haven't unlocked the stance skills yet, so we'll see how that goes but otherwise I don't think about the skills much.

nessin fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 21, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've bumped down to the easiest mode. And I completed Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1 & 2 and most of 3 and loved every second. My only complaint on this game is the difficulty is just WAY too uneven. I've kinda given up on the gameplay aspect now and I'm just in it for the story. The easy mode is so easy, but I've actually had some fights where I've died quite a few times. It doesn't seem like they balanced this out very well, and that's hugely disappointing.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
It's weird because some moments when I'm really thinking about combat it's very smooth and easy, but when I'm either not paying close enough attention or I'm tired I gently caress up a lot. It's very rewarding but very punishing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s insane how within the first few hours it was pretty obvious this game was going to be my GOTY but it keeps getting massively better every hour. Good loving job Sony. This is exactly why I jumped ship from Microsoft and I couldn’t be happier about that choice.

When the game opens up with the (early not big deal spoiler) world serpent part, good lord. The camera work, the voice, the way Atreus is the only thing clearing up the fact that you’re not about to get wrecked. It’s all very awesome. The camera/perspective transitions are so well done when it comes to keeping you aware of your place in the world.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Over There posted:

It's weird because some moments when I'm really thinking about combat it's very smooth and easy, but when I'm either not paying close enough attention or I'm tired I gently caress up a lot. It's very rewarding but very punishing.

this. It feels very balanced to me. Ive only felt "cheated" once so far

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

paint dry posted:

Any PS4 Pro owners getting ridiculous fan noise with this game? Like, unbearably loud.
It seems like they didn't FPS cap the menus. Whenever I talk to the dwarf or want to look at the map it takes about 3 minutes to spin down to acceptable levels.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

nessin posted:

I haven't checked how many hours I've got invested yet but I've just hit the part where you get the second arrow type and so far this game has been a pretty big disappointment. It's not bad, just really doesn't live up to the hype.

The story completely fails to provide any meaningful sense of engagement. Lots of unanswered questions which could certainly help or be partially addressed by now, but at this point the entire driving factor is to fulfill the mothers last request. That would be fine, except you know nothing about the mother by this point. Never even seen her. The only investment the player has in the story is that Kratos and Atraeus apparently feel it's worth it.

The higher difficulties are hard, but not challenging. I think this may just be because I've only played a couple games where the controls were a limiting factor in the past couple years (on a console at least). I constantly feel like if I just had a mouse where I could rapidly shift my view (aside from just a complete 180) and aim quickly the game would be pretty drat easy. I get that the whole point is you don't have that ability but it makes the challenge feel artificial and not rewarding to me.

I've unlocked a good chunk of the skill tree but I rarely use any of the abilities granted by it, at least until I lowered the difficult and felt the game offered me the chance to do so. The shield stun bonus, block break, and evade sweep attack I use constantly, but a lot of the rest I ether forget about because they don't seem that effective or take extra time to setup (like the bit R2 attack or the multiple enemies with a single throw) that you just can't afford to use when a single hit or two can be devastating. I haven't unlocked the stance skills yet, so we'll see how that goes but otherwise I don't think about the skills much.

One thing I’d like to address is story engagement. The more I play it the more it’s clear the story is tailored towards the people who played thru the series as it came out and now are at the age of having kids/etc. The story is very engaging from my perspective. Seeing Kratos transforming from the rage beast who would murder anyone without question if it helped him to a father trying to show some sort of control is worth it.

Also, everyone should read the day 0 comic included with release.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Calaveron posted:

Soul eaters aren’t fun to fight, at least the one you fight in that mine as a favor to Brok. Small window to slightly hurt him while he can two shot you with his fast ranged aoe attacks
I shot an oil jar near him, I think it destroyed like 90% of its life and triggered the R3 finisher, I only got a couple of axe shots at him beforehand. There may or may not have been an exploding draugr nearby, but since there were oil jar all over the place I believe it's the intended way to kill those. I have more problems fighting the nightmares or the poison witches since it require aiming.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
So I just got a 4K TV I've never had to choose between performance or resolution mode before. Does it make a difference on performance mode or should I just use resolution and enjoy the graphics?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

HotBobaloo posted:

So I just got a 4K TV I've never had to choose between performance or resolution mode before. Does it make a difference on performance mode or should I just use resolution and enjoy the graphics?

Try both but I prefer resolution mode for this, and performance mode for monster hunter.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The optional quests make this game.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Christopher Judge's incredible voice telling the story of the tortoise and the hare :kimchi:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Christopher Judge's incredible voice telling the story of the tortoise and the hare :kimchi:

I thought I would miss the old Kratos but Judge is really good. Way better honestly considering the story and writing.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Lid posted:

The optional quests make this game.

Just hit my first one. Good to know they keep getting better.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Upgraded all my poo poo by.. like.. a ton. Bought a pile of moves.

Bumped the difficulty back to normal and I'm feeling like it's where it should be so that I don't lose my mind and move on to the "next big thing".

I'm finding when you're doing attacks both melee and ranged and you angle your thumb over the square (your son using his bow) do that when you hit an attack your son simultaneously shoots, it really, really helps. He's constantly stunning and distracting the guy you're attacking and you can just chew through guys real nice. It would be easy to have a toggle so that every time you hit an attack button he simply just shoots an arrow at your target.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I'm so conflicted about the combat changes in this game. I want the series to evolve mechanically, but I feel super claustrophobic sitting so close and so off center behind Kratos. I find myself missing the reach of his classic chain weapons a lot, and so the combat feels a bit... stifling? Everything looks so good, and we're just smashed up too close to it, IMO. Everything else about the presentation and story is loving incredible though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Fighting a troll that has homing splash damage aoe attacks with little windup that knock off two thirds of my health

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
SHUT THE gently caress UP ATREUS

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Fire troll in the Dwarf king castle? That dude really hosed me up

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HotBobaloo posted:

Absolutely performance mode; after playing in performance for a while, resolution (30 FPS) seems like a slideshow.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I love how I can not be paying attention for an hour and have like 1 million XP

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I feel like I'm defaulting to fighting most things with ranged combat and when I get up in the poo poo I get worked pretty good.

I just axe threw fire troll to death

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the combat is awesome other than I cannot loving remember that L2 is throw and L1 is shield. I throw my axe on accident probably 90% of the time

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Acelerion posted:

I feel like I'm defaulting to fighting most things with ranged combat and when I get up in the poo poo I get worked pretty good.

I just axe threw fire troll to death

Yes but it's so tedious and at any time the troll can decide to launch his teleguided volcano sole in the general vicinity of your existence and kill you instantly

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Mandrel posted:

the combat is awesome other than I cannot loving remember that L2 is throw and L1 is shield. I throw my axe on accident probably 90% of the time

Oh my god this every god drat time

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Over There posted:

Yeah, it's just not intuitive. What i'm wondering is are we in the minority (are our brains hosed) or is it just something that isn't considered during testing.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Kin posted:

Yeah, it's just not intuitive. What i'm wondering is are we in the minority (are our brains hosed) or is it just something that isn't considered during testing.

Yeah I'm not sure. There are so many different abilities sometimes I find myself just doing random poo poo to kill enemies, not really button mashing though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh Christopher Judge is the voice of Kratos?

That is the first thing I've heard that makes me look forward to playing this actually

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Also WHAT'S THAT RUNE SAY BOIIII

i fuckin' love Atreus and his journal. best kid. ellie has serious competition now.

the game eventually leaves this behind but the first 3-4 hours reminded me VERY MUCH of Hellblade, not just the setting but even the enemies, attacks, presentation, everything. I know it wasn't done on purpose just saying it really did remind me of it.

also holy poo poo this game gets brutally hard. i was not expecting it to be anywhere near this hard. i'm glad i'm playing on Normal, especially since i suspect this will be a "replay 5 or 10 times" sort of game like TLoU and the Uncharteds

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kin posted:

L2 is the aim button and R2 is the shoot button in just about every game ever. I took to GoW’s controls pretty fast.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Lmao I just noticed it's not hitting the edges of my screen either

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Enemies have way too much health, even on normal.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mandrel posted:

Over There posted:

Kin posted:

I've been having the same issue. I wish we could customize the button remapping instead of having the presets. I would move my quick turn to R3 or something and swap aim and block asap.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i feel really bad for anyone who doesn't have a giant rear end TV and/or doesn't sit close to it because the text in this game is hilariously tiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

i feel really bad for anyone who doesn't have a giant rear end TV and/or doesn't sit close to it because the text in this game is hilariously tiny

Yeah, I'm sitting pretty close to the TV in my room and the text is soooo small. I'm not sure how much better it would look on the bigger TV tbh b/c I had the same issue with Witcher 3 which I played mostly in the living room.

Think my roomie's big plasma may be technically 720 or 1080i tho so