Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I use a 55” 1080p plasma from about 4 feet away and I’m fine with the text but if you sit across the room then lol sorry better grab some binocs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Over There posted:

Lmao I just noticed it's not hitting the edges of my screen either

Go to PS4 settings -> Sound & Screen -> Display Area Settings. hth

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's really bizarre how some games compensate for overscan and some don't-- and how some games abide by the display settings if you use the PS4 to adjust and some don't.

And by bizarre I mean loving annoying b/c it means some games I can't play on my room TV without it being annoying as gently caress and cutting off UI sometimes lolll

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

esperterra posted:

It's really bizarre how some games compensate for overscan and some don't-- and how some games abide by the display settings if you use the PS4 to adjust and some don't.

And by bizarre I mean loving annoying b/c it means some games I can't play on my room TV without it being annoying as gently caress and cutting off UI sometimes lolll

More silly is the fact that some LCD TVs still have overscan you can't disable (and a large majority of them have it enabled by default, even though it's poison for image quality).

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Fame Douglas posted:

Go to PS4 settings -> Sound & Screen -> Display Area Settings. hth

It did thank you!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fame Douglas posted:

More silly is the fact that some LCD TVs still have overscan you can't disable.

The one in my room is old as gently caress at least, but yeah. But then again that's what the system settings are there for-- unlucky fucks like me who do a lot of gaming on a TV from around 08. Just a pain when not all games work with it.

At least I have another TV for when that issue pops up, but if I didn't it would b l o w.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

L2 has long been the standard aim button for all the fine chick with bow games and is the most natural thing in the world to me. Circle is the one true roll button tho fukkk X.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, idk why it bugs me so much in this game.

I think I keep expecting L2 to be a shield bash lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh check it out you can use triangle instead of right on the d pad to ready your axe. Handy

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

So I left off a bit into getting to Alfheim last night, and this game's real drat pretty.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

precision posted:

i feel really bad for anyone who doesn't have a giant rear end TV and/or doesn't sit close to it because the text in this game is hilariously tiny

There are options to give the subtitles a background to them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is the lake the only hub area or do more open up later?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Game is good but I'm not really seeing the things that set it apart from other great games released recently other than being pretty. It's for sure a great game, but I'm just not having the same 10/10 experience so many reviewers seem to have had. Either this game's acclaim needs to be bumped down a bit or other titles need to be bumped up, I'm just not seeing the clear separation in quality.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

new phone who dis posted:

Game is good but I'm not really seeing the things that set it apart from other great games released recently other than being pretty. It's for sure a great game, but I'm just not having the same 10/10 experience so many reviewers seem to have had. Either this game's acclaim needs to be bumped down a bit or other titles need to be bumped up, I'm just not seeing the clear separation in quality.

How far have you gotten? It gets better as you keep going.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Calaveron posted:

Nightmares are the wooooorst

LMAO if you're not upgrading Atraeus.

I can just stand in the sidelines and have that little spider monkey gently caress up everything for me by spamming the square button and I'm still farting around in the lake of nines.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
What's the issue with nightmares? They die so easily.

I guess everyone plays different but I'm mostly chucking my axe at them.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Over There posted:

How far have you gotten? It gets better as you keep going.

About 4-5 hours in. Just saw the midgard serpent and I'm going through the area with the poison and stuff. I feel like I'm throwing my axe too much and the melee lacks oomph. Especially after the heavy draugr showed up. It's not that I can't beat them, the combat just gets kind of tedious and I'm coming off of MonHun where it's pretty tight and rewarding as you adapt. It's a fantastically paced cinematic experience and story, it feels like I'm watching Clash of the Titans in the 80s or something and the art design is loving amazing, the combat just feels a bit clunky at the moment. This is just me bitching about the perfect acclaim, mind you. I'm not unhappy with the money I spent or anything, but I feel like the new Zelda was probably more deserving of that universal acclaim as a complete game than this.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I've been slamming my dick into a sliding glass door trying to play on Hard in the tutorial zone, so I'm going to bump down to Balanced.

The default controls are more of a Soulsborne set up (with Circle and X being swapped). There are options in the controls to change the mapping to more like Nioh, where the face buttons are the attacks. I'm comfortable with both methods of controls, but it seems like the speed of this game is more like Nioh, and I found those default controls handled well. Has anyone tried the different controls and have an opinion here?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

new phone who dis posted:

About 4-5 hours in. Just saw the midgard serpent and I'm going through the area with the poison and stuff. I feel like I'm throwing my axe too much and the melee lacks oomph. Especially after the heavy draugr showed up. It's not that I can't beat them, the combat just gets kind of tedious and I'm coming off of MonHun where it's pretty tight and rewarding as you adapt. It's a fantastically paced cinematic experience and story, it feels like I'm watching Clash of the Titans in the 80s or something and the art design is loving amazing, the combat just feels a bit clunky at the moment. This is just me bitching about the perfect acclaim, mind you. I'm not unhappy with the money I spent or anything, but I feel like the new Zelda was probably more deserving of that universal acclaim as a complete game than this.

I've noticed that once I started to unlock more skills and the boy gets less useless, combat feels a lot better. Like really good. I think I was feeling the same as you at that point.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
First criticism: I miss the orbs system.

I hate crafting systems. It drove me nuts in Prey. Not everything has to be Skyrim.

Give me the shotgun then maybe give me a booster for it. Otherwise give me the shotgun, then the machine gun, then the BFG.

I'm spending way too much time in a menu screen for a hack and slash game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At the risk of sounding like an edgelord, I wish this game was gorier. GOW 3 went way too far with it, but the glowing neon monster blood in this one isn't really doing it for me. Just makes me feel like I'm fighting robots or something and the rare vs human fights seem to intentionally have the violence toned way down.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 21, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

At the risk of sounding like an edgelord, I wish this game was gorier. GOW 3 went way too far with it, but the glowing neon monster blood in this one isn't really doing it for me. Just makes me feel like I'm fighting robots or something and the rare vs human fights seem to intentionally have the violence toned way down.

The charge R2 axe attack has a super sick nasty decapitation move. It rules.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guess it's not that I wish it was gorier. I just think it would be cooler if these undead dudes were spraying black tar blood all over the place instead of Splatoon ink

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Damnit I caved and bought this even tho I’m balls deep in yakuza 6 but I guess there’s worse things then juggling 2 dope rear end games.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

precision posted:

Oh check it out you can use triangle instead of right on the d pad to ready your axe. Handy

Pressing triangle summons the axe to your hand wherever it is. Including off your back. I love this game.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
If anyone wants to cheese an infinite money loop, here's an easy spot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghN74d4nzHQ

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Klisejo posted:

If anyone wants to cheese an infinite money loop, here's an easy spot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghN74d4nzHQ

I'd lose my mind after 5 minutes of this.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

veni veni veni posted:

I'd lose my mind after 5 minutes of this.

Me too but it's a pretty good tip.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man Hard mode is kicking my rear end. I've just got done meeting Brok and the journey thus far was full of "how am I gonna do this" moments lol. The Draug pit coming to life was tough but I never thought I'd get past that fight with the spearwielder guys and then 4 more dudes come out. Any suggestions for must-have skills at the start? I upgraded the bow once for Atreus and have 2 of his stun assist skils.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
holy loving balls the dragon battle at the top of the mountain.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

No one spoil it for me but, I’ve got a mistletoe arrowhead and a grudge with Baldur. I’m going to start Ragnarok aren’t I?

All that reading about Norse mythology when I was younger is weirdly useful.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 21, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For those that were having trouble with that flame troll, there's a berserk/special pick up right there where you fight him. So what I did was throw my ax at him for a bit until I had the flaming fists, then went to town on him. He's really weak to it and it stuns him instantly. Then I picked up the power up and immediately popped it again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like a dumbass but I can rarely find all 3 tunes for the runic magic chests. I’ve just gave up on half of them

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like a dumbass but I can rarely find all 3 tunes for the runic magic chests. I’ve just gave up on half of them

same. I was obsessively doing them for a while but it’s been 3 or 4 in a row now I’ve just given up because I can’t figure out how to hit all three in time

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

For the Flame Troll you just gotta be careful and stay back a little bit. You can't stay on top of him and dance around because he'll just fire stomp a bunch, and even if you avoid them you slowly burn to death. If you try and stay away and kite he'll do the leaping stomp a bunch which is kind of tough to avoid. If you stay near him but outside of stomp range he'll start swinging his rock around, you can get a few easy hits in, step back, repeat.

In Alfheim can I get back to the rune chest in the lower area? I ran into the next room looking for seals and some poo poo happened and I can't find any way back.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Where is this flame troll? I can't tell if I'm at the same area as you guys or not.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Also I find the reward of extra health too valuable to give up on the rune chests.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Over There posted:

Also I find the reward of extra health too valuable to give up on the rune chests.

Ive only passed on a few and they were all in optional areas I’ll be visiting again.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Every time I hit frustration with a rune cheat I spot the last one. I've got them all so far (unless I've overlooked a whole chest).

I'm liking the puzzles a lot. The rune chests with a puzzle or timing element can be hard but they're fair. A good tip is that some of the rune bells seem to toll longer than others which gives you a better chance to succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Over There posted:

Where is this flame troll? I can't tell if I'm at the same area as you guys or not.

He’s at the end of a side area that starts with a V but I can’t remember what it’s called. There’s a chained up dragon there