Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

I Love Annie May fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What are sa jiao women

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Buy new maps y'all, Swaziland is no more

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

What are sa jiao women

http://www.heredg.com/2016/05/sa-jiao/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This sounds insanely annoying.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

1999 called and wants it's domains back.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
#eSw@tini.com

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spazzle posted:

1999 called and wants it's domains back.
It's right next to iSimangaliso too.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Pirates for Beijingers was a nice touch.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Goddamnit I thought I turned off cultural title names.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

I know nothing about China and cannot say how accurate any of these are; this just kind of turned up on Imgur.

This is accurate and made me chuckle.

However, the raging alcoholic portion of the map is too narrow.

They sell 4 liter plastic bottles of 60% abv down at the convenience store. Somebody has to be buying those.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 21, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Phlegmish posted:

What are sa jiao women

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc9uGg6IErI&t=3s

Basically China's version of the creepy Japanese thing where childishness in women is seen as hot.
From what I've heard more of a thing in southern China (like the maps hint at).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I get most of these, but what's the Hawaii joke in #7?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Elyv posted:

I get most of these, but what's the Hawaii joke in #7?
Nice, clean, modern tropical paradise - at least relative to the industrial wasteland of most of eastern China?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
For people bringing up Sichuan, the thing to know is the place is basically a huge hole shaped valley behind the eastern mountains in China.
Stands out like hell on most topographical maps.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sichuan is a basin. :eng101:

But it is drained by the Yangtze.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sichuan is where Liu Bei hangs out in the Three Kingdoms period, isn't it?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sichuan is where Liu Bei hangs out in the Three Kingdoms period, isn't it?

Yup

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

There are few maps which show the details of European conquest of Africa. I couldn't find much anything showing the campaigns in East Africa.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 22, 2018

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

"Strong girls who can actually do all these things on their own, single or not, are jokingly called tomboys (nü han zi), which doesn’t relate to sexual orientation here. "

Does it relate to sexual orientation other places? I'm pretty sure when Americans refer to a woman as a tomboy they aren't implying she's a lesbian. My wife said she was a tomboy growing up, but now she's very keen to insist she's incapable of killing bugs on her own so I guess we need an English phrase for sa jiao.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Does she also throw fits in the middle of the street when you don't buy her jewelry

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Phlegmish posted:

Does she also throw fits in the middle of the street when you don't buy her jewelry

No she knows full well I can't afford jewelry.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Then its cool by me

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

davebo posted:

Does it relate to sexual orientation other places? I'm pretty sure when Americans refer to a woman as a tomboy they aren't implying she's a lesbian.

In my own experience, the vast majority of the time I've heard "tomboy" used to describe someone it's for a preteen (or < 15) year old girl with no particular sexual orientation implied, and the few other times it's used by women to describe themselves when talking about enjoying camping or not caring about dirtiness or bugs or whatever ("I'm a bit of a tomboy). Same for garçon manqué.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, growing up tomboy was just "girl who likes things that traditionally boys tend to like" but definitely never with anything about sexual orientation implied.

I've never heard the term used since I became an adult, I'm pretty sure.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Randarkman posted:

Well, the whole place smells like cheez doodles (cheese fondue) and there's no place that accepts credit cards, and there are like 5 ATMs total in the whole city.

I didn't realize Geneva was in Belgium

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

All of Europe is in Belgium now

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

FreudianSlippers posted:

All of Europe is in Belgium now

Belgium doesn't exist

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

davebo posted:

Does it relate to sexual orientation other places? I'm pretty sure when Americans refer to a woman as a tomboy they aren't implying she's a lesbian. My wife said she was a tomboy growing up, but now she's very keen to insist she's incapable of killing bugs on her own so I guess we need an English phrase for sa jiao.

Tomboy in Chinese means lesbian, specifically of a butchy type. It's commonly just abbreviated to T.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Rumda posted:

Belgium doesn't exist

When everyone is Belgium, No one will be.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ForeignPolicy/status/988968341346902018

Blue is ambassador is in place, Yellow is ambassador is awaiting confirmation, Red is no ambassador appointed, Grey is no embassy to that country.

Politically loaded because the map recognizes Somaliland.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
The Mexican ambassador is in a quantum superposition of existing and not.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rumda posted:

The Mexican ambassador is in a quantum superposition of existing and not.
It clearly just means some guy went to Mexico and proclaimed himself ambassador, hence ambassador in place, but no ambassador appointed.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It clearly just means some guy went to Mexico and proclaimed himself ambassador, hence ambassador in place, but no ambassador appointed.

***herself

quote:

An immigration crackdown, threats to withdraw from the North American Free Trade Agreement, and, of course, that wall: Perhaps no foreign country has borne the brunt of Trumpism more than Mexico. On March 1, the U.S. ambassador, Roberta Jacobson, tendered her resignation. When she formally leaves the post in May, she will join an exodus of capable career diplomats. Her resignation letter contained few details, but given the sorry state of U.S.-Mexico relations under Trump, it’s not hard to intuit her motivations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Most of the red countries should have career FSO ambassadors. Are there just too few qualified SFS officers left or what?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Map already out of date; the guy awaiting confirmation as ambassador to Australia has been reassigned to South Korea. Which, admittedly, should probably be a higher priority than Australia...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

stone cold posted:

***herself
That's almost the opposite of what I said.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

Most of the red countries should have career FSO ambassadors. Are there just too few qualified SFS officers left or what?

I think I've read a few stories about how many of them are quitting (and now many fewer recruits they're getting).

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 26, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

I think I've read a few stories about how many of them are quitting (and now many fewer recruits they're getting).

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/dapperhistorian/status/989182290508107777?s=21