Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Thotimx posted:

Episode X: 2350-2373

Update that doesn't end in a multiple of 25 = :allears:

I've only been Human'd like that once, but it is really frustrating when it happens. Usually the game itself does a great job of keeping you from being in 2nd place, heh, but here we are. I guess there's no point in me playing this one, because you actually seemed to be off to a great start before, y'know, the Council took it away. If you made it to 2425 you'd be golden I'm sure. Here's to the next one! :patriot:

Edit: Next page snipe again! Update's here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

drat, that sucked.

If you hadn't been a nominee, would all the other races still have voted for the humans?

In other words: Did you screw yourself by recovering so quickly?

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Next time. Next TIME!!!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Wow, just wow.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

idhrendur posted:

Wow, just wow.

It's like the RNG took a look at Thotimx' last playthrough and went "Okay, so apparently I wasn't sufficiently blatantly unfair enough"

What's next? Homeworld getting the supernova event five turns in?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

kaosdrachen posted:

It's like the RNG took a look at Thotimx' last playthrough and went "Okay, so apparently I wasn't sufficiently blatantly unfair enough"

What's next? Homeworld getting the supernova event five turns in?

Game bugging out and the Guardian deciding to take a road trip over his capital turn 2.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The winning move is now not to even play

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Omobono posted:

Game bugging out and the Guardian deciding to take a road trip over his capital turn 2.

The game randomly generating 5 opponents of the same race, deciding they're all one empire actually, and immediately entering into Final War?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That just about sums up my thoughts.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That was just plain RNG screwing you over. I mean, what are you supposed to do in that situation? Somehow spam the universe and get veto before the first council comes to pass with a poo poo hand like that?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

General Revil posted:

That just about sums up my thoughts.

Alternative summary:

https://i.imgur.com/XFF781t.mp4

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Palladium posted:

The winning move is now not to even play

I should flip out now and say 'screw this I quit this LP'. Just to see what would happen in the thread.

kaosdrachen posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much the size of it. It's the synergy really. This wasn't a strictly unwinnable game, but the Guardian situation is bad enough that you need to not have runaway Humans on top of it. If they hadn't expanded as fast much could have been different, but the way it happened to work out here was particularly unkind.

Wayne posted:

If you made it to 2425 you'd be golden I'm sure.

Probably. Survive the first couple of votes and it's a whole new ballgame.

DTurtle posted:

If you hadn't been a nominee, would all the other races still have voted for the humans?

In other words: Did you screw yourself by recovering so quickly?

Well at least one of them wouldn't; they always vote for themselves, so whoever the second nominee was wouldn't have voted Human. In this case that might have just meant a 14-6 vote instead of 17-3, but at that point the margins are a lot better and all you need is one race abstaining instead and everything's fine. Another factor was Humans having 7 votes and almost everything else with three; the one-sidedness of that comparison. But yeah, your question is pretty much right; I screwed up by having the gall to not lie down after the bad start. Go figure.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Thotimx posted:

I should flip out now and say 'screw this I quit this LP'. Just to see what would happen in the thread.

To be fair, after the last comeback/win, we'd probably just say "hey, good job, loved the LP."

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Wayne posted:

Update that doesn't end in a multiple of 25 =

Especially when it wasn't even Episode X, but XI. I think I'll switch to just calling them 'Part 7' or whatever -- that way I don't give away when it's over right at the start of an update. I wondered if anyone would pick up on that.

Ok so the record moves to 6 wins, 5 losses, and once again my streak of never losing twice in a row with the same race is under pressure.

Episode XII: Opening Plus

Starting Save File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqo2ncotu6fd32t/SAVE2.GAM?dl=0

The Alkari return under Farseer, large galaxy, blah blah blah. Now right off the start I need to put out a PSA: I had a computer crash which lost me most of the first half-century. So what you'll see here is briefer than usual. I still have all the screenshots but for the most part I don't remember exactly what order they came in, and so I'm basically just going to hit the high points and give what information I can that I recall.

Klackons are the only strong race here: no Psilons once again, no Humans to worry about, etc. Overall a pretty good draw of enemies. We're on the left flank with the lower-left looking very empty. Pretty even distribution of homeworld locations otherwhise. Cutting off other races from this area will be paramount.

The green above and left, and the blue above and right are the two stars we have a shot at initially. Once again I play the odds and send the Colonizer out to the green one, while the scouts will try to push into the middle of the galaxy, the other direction. Also pretty unique here is having Altair be in the middle of a nebula. Fighting here could be problematic, although if things come to that I'll probably have bigger difficulties.

Well, it's not the Guardian. But I can't say a whole lot more for it. I only even took this system because of the significant chance the other one is hostile, and even then I seriously thought about waiting to see what the other one was.

Good thing I didn't wait. Let the record show that the last three opening systems I've run into(last two games, leaving aside Orion last time), have all had minimum-size population maximums. I really did tick off the MOO RNG by winning that Sakkra game. This is also four consecutive bad or worse starts in a row. Everything since that Meklar cakewalk has been a case of just 'come get your medicine now. Have an extra helping of pain, why don't ya!'

So the main difference between this game and last game is Proteus does increase range(towards the galactic rim). That's basically it. For all the normal purposes such as building Recons, population incubating, adding a bit to research, it'll be virtually worthless. It is a small, but very small, bonus to the economic situation over not having a second system at all.

This was better news, and the next one I reached. You can see here that the Recon Rush has just started, and to the right of Berel and Omicron there is a dark-space gap. That makes this a key point to hold, and it's a fine system in economic terms as well. The synergy of finding a system that is both economically and strategically valuable is not something that happens much.

Another nice one. Going downwards is looking more enticing by the moment.

This was our only hope for another planet within range. That hope is now gone, so it'll be research next up.

Meh.

Five parsecs out. If we're going to cross dark space in an upward direction, it'll almost assuredly have to be here. A big research planet ... eventually.

Rather yuck. Soon after this the Sakkra came to visit Berel with a scout, our first indication of another race. The first range increase that came in was Hydrogen Fuel Cells, after which we were able to get moving again.

This now raised a rather thorny situation. Proteus couldn't supply enough population to get Exis going, never mind any more systems. But if Altair sent people, we'd be weakening our only industrial base. I got some more colony ships out, and then sent out transfers from the homeworld only when I'd run out of obvious, immediate options. Laan, Berel, anything we could get.

Escalon was needed to get range to Berel, but it also provided a moment of kindness from the RNG: a few years after we landed here, the population distribution process was given a nice shot in the arm when Escalon became fertile. After these colony ships went out, I'm able to rejoin the original narrative in the late 2340s:

At this point I need Altair to do a bunch of things which it can't do adequately, but I've got to do what I can. I want to get Falcons out to a few worlds; I've identified 4-5 of them that are of reasonable strategic importance. I'd like a few at each system but realistically that's not going to happen. I'm also going to research Improved Eco, transfer enough population out to get the new colonies going, and put some money into the reserve to help them there as well.

As can be seen here there's not a great deal of investment in each area, but I don't really have much choice in that. Proteus is worthless and the other colonies have a long way before they can contribute.

Here's another one we can get. It's in range so that one Colonizer that is out there will head here. About a third of Altair's population goes out over the next two years, some to Berel and some to Escalon. That should give us the jump-start we need.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I like the year markings, just lie if the game is about to end imo.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Hmm. Well how about with no end date? Such as, just '2450' or '2450-?' indicating it's 2450-2475 or else 2450-End of Game.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Just giving the start date seems like the best way to handle it.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Very rare to start in a nebula, but after the initial planets, looks like you've got a friendly star distribution, and that's the biggest thing.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The nebula was unexpected, but this looks like you can get a solid foothold from the start.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode XII: 2350

The green-circled areas are the systems that I'd like to defend for strategic reasons. The ones above we just need more range to reach, while the two Tundra worlds seem vital to an attempt to curl around the lower side of the map and hold off Sakkra expansion. As we start the second half of the 24th century there's a Falcon headed to the tundra systems, and I'll build a few more. Once again I'm in a position where I don't think I can afford more than one for each, and that won't hold for long. I'm just hoping it buys enough time to get some of our colonies up and running. The blue star above the Tundras already belongs to the lizards.

Now I'll need a new Colonizer: I expected this to be a hostile system, but now that I know it's habitable I definitely need to seize it ASAP. That means reserve funding will have to be halted for the time being. Good heavens this is a slow build. It's exactly why I almost never transfer population off of the homeworld once it's full; this is the first time I can recall doing it, and only because Proteus is so useless. 36 million Alkari will spend the next several years in transports, producing nothing.

I thought this might happen. That pretty much rules out any expansion into the centre. Rotan(95M). Nice planet, but they've been here a while. I also run into a Meklar scout at one of the Tundras.

And this, a long-term goal down in the corner. We should be able to effectively cut off all rival access.

Oooh. This is where we may have a chance to 'turn the corner'. But we'll probably have to fight for it. Aurora is six parsecs out so I can't do anything to settle it now. I plan to send multiple ships there if at all possible.

Seven. Slowly but surely we grow.

Had to chase off a Meklar scout, so they will probably come here. I may shift my focus from the tundras above to Cygni and Aurora.

Same year as the last two images; 2356. The hits just keep on comin'. Good news is that Exis, our most populous colony, is almost ready to start population transfers to Rhilus. We'll start kicking up some momentum.

Finally. Tundra/Dead/Death Spores are the next set of choices. Tundra landings are the only useful one and the cheapest, so it's one of those decisions that makes itself. It's late enough in the game that I need to be doing a general research now, but I'm not sure if I can afford to do so. I need Deuterium Fuel Cells and Tundra Landings both. Each would get us two systems. I may well pay a price for it, but I'm at least going to crash the fuel cells, which are cheaper.

:siren:
https://youtu.be/_SroA93O15k
:siren:

Cygni here. That's a rather amusing battle. We didn't hit them much ... but didn't get hit at all! Laser vs. laser. That Cutlass had been hanging around for several years. No longer.

2367: All the colonies are either poor or at a minimum nearing equal numbers of factories and population. That's enough bootstrapping for now: Altair gets out of the transfer business. I've also stopped building Falcons, with eight of them in service.

The end of a decade-long, uneventful journey. The fuel cells come in 2372; Nuclear Engines is the only option now. The question is whether to rush Tundra or not. And frankly I think I have to. It could be worth four systems, since if we take the tundra pair we can then have the range to reach Cygni and Aurora. I've never done tech-rushing this late into things. A bold(and perhaps stupid) experiment?

We currently have 8 systems -- if all goes well I could swell that number to a respectable 14, with more to be added once we get the right hostile tech. That's a competitive number.

The next year, Exis is finally ready to start contributing. Almost three generations to get a quality off-world colony going. It'll shoulder much of the research load now and hopefully accelerate our progress, then help with getting the Colonizers out ASAP once that's done.

75 years and still we haven't met any other empires. The isolation of our starting position may have worked for us in this case. Some lipstick is appearing on this pig of a start.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
You've managed to grab a pretty large section of the galaxy unopposed, it's going to be interesting to see what the rest of the landscape looks like when you break out of your corner.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Lot of small to medium generally not great planets, but you have a zone!

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode XII: 2375 -

More good news to start out as Laan joins the research party in 2376. All aboard the Tundra Train!!

It'll take a while to get any population up here, and half of forever to develop this system. More taxpayers and voters though, as always. With all the Poor systems we are collecting, I forsee a research focus.

First contact comes in 2378 ... with an initial trade deal of 225 BC. That's hefty. Aggressive Expansionists, allied with the Sakkra. They have no interesting discoveries to trade.

At least they've slowed down after their quick start. But yeah, that tech situation is worse than usual. Which is saying something.

Spreading their tentacles everywhere it seems. A dozen systems, while we hold nine now.

Looks like Tundra will be our last environ for a while. Terraforming is next, and finally we will settle in to the standard research distribution. Meanwhile, we've got some Colonizers to build.

You don't say. I have other priorities right now, so this will have to wait.

We had to wait for an armed Bulrathi colony ship to leave. I doubt we'll get this, but maybe we can delay the others grabbing it.

2383. Let's take another look at the picture.

Doesn't look like they'll be much trouble.

Sandwiched by us and the Klackons basically. If we do get those Tundra systems -- and the first Colonizer just got sent out for them -- we'll really box them in. Pacifistic Ecologists, allied with the Mrrshan but no longer the Klackons. I see little reason to be concerned, and sign a 225BC trade deal. We hand over Improved Eco in exchange for +10M Terraforming. It'll be a while before we get the bigger +30, and we can use the boost now.

Now we should be able to scout out those planets in the very upper-left, and see if somebody got stuck out there.

Time is of the essence in settling some of these newly-reachable systems. The merchants can go sit in the corner and be patient.

Uh huh. Pacifists. Sure.

So far so good -- this is the first of the next wave. Four more Colonizers are on their way to various destinations, and we're starting to get missile base defenses up. It's 2390.

Another year, and the slow climb up the tech ladders begins with ECM I and Industrial Tech 9 arriving. You know I have to go with Robotics III here, and Industrial Tech 8 shows up next. Also ...

Good grief. This is a lot more concerning. When we get the chance we'll try to bribe ourselves back into their good graces. We have something to do it with now, a little too late. Getting ganged up on at this point could really sideline the progress we're making. Sakkra and Klackons are allied -- along with the Mrrshan and Bulrathi. Another danger here is simply that we could have enough population to get voted against in the first High Council, since basically everyone is turning against us.

The long-term picture looks good ... IF I can stabilize the diplomatic situation. Also worth noting is that the pirates remain in Altair, disrupting trade. Even though there isn't any to disrupt anymore. I'm not sure exactly how that's even possible, but whatevs.

Nothing.

Somebody blew up a few factories on Altair the same year. Things are really heating up.

Looking more and more like we're the only real rival to the Klackons.

It seems these dorks have some nice range tech. No allies or wars, Xenophobic Ecologists. No advances worth getting, but we sign a 325BC trade deal. Hopefully this one lasts a bit longer.

The Sakkra sent a couple cruisers at Berel and seized Aurora the same year(2394). We did at least learn that they have missiles, but they took down some of our Falcons due to sheer numbers. They only have a few ships at Berel though, so I'm building more ships in the hopes of driving them off there.

This kind of thing we can survive for quite a while. Nuclear Engines come in, with Sublight the only option to continue.

This should do a lot better job of defending our territory than the Falcon. The anti-missile focus is a response to Sakkra deployments. Unfortunately I found a few years later that this was ineffective against their Titan cruisers. Perhaps in huge numbers, but we aren't going to be able to accomplish that. Tech is just too low.

2398. The Sakkra seized Cygni the same year, so that pretty much locks us in to 13 systems right now, if we can hang on to Berel. Which is only going to happen if I can get peace soon. That's a passable number. It's clear our current efforts are useless, so shipbuilding is halted except in Altair where I want to clear out the pirates.

A full century passes without a Council vote, a first for this LP. That's a sign of just how disjointed this galaxy is.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm slightly worried that you're going to get nominated, get second place, and then have everyone vote against you.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

General Revil posted:

I'm slightly worried that you're going to get nominated, get second place, and then have everyone vote against you.
As if that could ever happen. ;)

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

DTurtle posted:

As if that could ever happen. ;)

I literally laughed out loud.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Shall we resume?

Episode XII: 2400 -

We have more territory than anyone else after the woeful start. Just bizarre. The ships I built were mostly wasted -- just one Klackon fighter-class was destroyed. But perhaps they served as a deterrent. And keeping the Klackons off from Cygni only delayed things and let the Sakkra have it ... though that was still useful given that I'd rather have the lizards get the system. It is another poor one also, so it's not worth crying over it that much. Bulrathi and Mrrshan we still haven't met yet. I've seen a couple Bulrathi ships, none of the Bears.

Sakkra and Klackons are still allies, and I haven't got anything good enough to tempt either one to break that arrangement. This is the biggest problem, by far.

The Sakkra already have Class V shields, and appear to have deployed something close to that level. Our weapons are obsolete, and so will this Gatling Laser be. Fighting isn't an option.

Until an opportunity presents itself to make peace, the pressure on Berel will continue. Their fleet has grown in orbit here, and is enough to do more damage(a couple million pop, about 10 factories a year). We can grow that many, but the transports are starting to flow and more ships will arrive in a few years. I think we have less than a decade to make peace or lose the system. Bolstering ourselves elsewhere might be the best we can manage.

26 Sakkra transports landed on Berel the next year, taking about 35M defenders with them. They have Zortrium Armor, but otherwhise are equally equipped.

With the Gatling Laser in, we need help for our bases and something cheap. Hyper-X Rockets are the obvious choice.

Of course you are. I'm wondering just now how much of this has to do with the pirates, which I still haven't managed to eliminate.

There's still no trade to disrupt, but at least the job is nearly done. Meanwhile the Sakkra-Klackon alliance is gone ... but they are both joined with the Meklar. It's going to be really hard to get peace here.

We finally manage this, although it may be too late for Berel. The only remaining lizard alliance is with the Mrrshan. Klackon-Meklar still allied and still at war with us. This cost all three techs we could offer(Deuterium Fuel Cells, Tundra Colonizing, Industrial Tech 9). A bargain at 10 times the price though. A trade deal of 400 BC will hopefully secure it ... if we can finish off the pirates. Sauron is even willing to sign a NAP.

Finally, in 2408. We can get rid of the now-useless Space Gulls built only for this purpose over the last 15 or so years. This was fairly expensive. Planetary transfers to developing colonies are now almost finished as well. Growth should be able to accelerate. And on that note ...

Imagine how good we'd look if Proteus hadn't been utter crap. Time to see who has what.

** Sakkra(4) -- Abstain. I thought we might get them on our side.
** Klackons(10) -- Nearly a veto bloc.
** Bulrathi(4) -- Kaxal. Allies I think.
** Mrrshan(2) -- Kaxal.
** Meklar(5) -- Kaxal. That gives them 21 votes.

We have 8 votes. Clear second place. And the final tally is 21 out of 22 needed for Kaxal. I survive ... narrowly. And of course abstain. If I hadn't made peace with the Sakkra, it would now be over. There's still a diplomatic mountain to climb, but paths to both military and Council victory remain. I've got to hope I can grow enough to stave off defeat in the next vote ... or split off the Meklar so they will at least abstain.

At Berel, the Sakkra fleet remains in orbit, but no more transports are coming and the bombardments have stopped. Just by the hair of our chin, we maintain our empire without losing anything so far. That's a win.

Uxmai requires attention now. The question is whether's it worth building a capital-sized Colonizer to reach it. Answer: we need everything we can get. It's within range of the Meklar and I have to think they come for it eventually. Altair will require 12 years to build it -- hopefully the system isn't taken from us by then. We aren't getting more range anytime soon.

A step backwards in the diplomatic arena. We gave the Sakkra our reserve savings(700 BC) and Gatling Laser, the only things they were interested in -- but they still wouldn't break the renewed alliance. The next year, they signed one with the Meklar as well. The Klackons and Meklar have made no moves to attack, but it's not looking good for our efforts to achieve peace. 2410, 15 years till the High Council votes again. Right now, they'd almost certainly give Kaxal the crown.

Two years later, the Klackons dissolve their alliances with the other two. Time to get our bribe game on. ECM I and Industrial Tech 9 are enough to secure peace ... and a trade deal(425 BC).

This looks a lot better now -- but that Sakkra-Meklar alliance is still in force, and is enough to cause everything to unravel. So far the lizards have not been willing to break our agreements. Maybe their Pacifistic code is finally kicking in. The current trade deficit is rather sizable; an eighth of the economy currently goes to setting up the necessary infrastructure. These deals better hold.

2417: The Meklar-Sakkra Alliance goes away. INT-286 drives a hard bargain, refusing peace even with relations at Neutral and four tech bribes having been given. Most aren't as good as what they already had, but still. Bastards. The Sakkra in particular are snatching up hostile planets that we can't acquire -- both they and the Meklar have Toxic tech.

It's the most expensive option, but I'm going with Reduced Waste 60% here. We just got Industrial Tech 8, and the repair system wouldn't help us right now. Ecology spending is still way too significant, around 30% on developed systems.

Uridium(Range 8) or Fusion are next. We just keep improving our speed; the range isn't useful at this point. Haven't missed a single engine upgrade yet, but I've missed most of the rest of the propulsion tree.

We made it! It's too late for it to make a difference in the next vote, but if we survive that one it will matter more.

The Sakkra had the same 4 votes as before, as do the Klackons. The galaxy gained three overall though.

** Bulrathis(4) -- Abstain
** Mrrshan(3) -- Kaxal. This seems to be a more permanent association.
** Meklar(6) -- Kaxal. As expected, and they are +1 this cycle.

We are +1 to 9 as well, and also abstain. Kaxal got only 19 of 36 this time, just over half. The situation is looking a lot more stable with all the abstentions. I feel at this point that I've gotten my teeth into the game and have a solid chance at victory. It'll be a long climb up the tech ladder to the point where we can fight effectively, but engines are good enough to support the spoils of war strategy already if conflict breaks out among the others before we want to join it, which it probably will. Diplomatically I might get the Sakkra on our side, but I'd need more than that to win. There's still that possible path though.

Or, Kaxal could just throw a fit over us not handing him the victory. Real reason is that they signed a new Meklar alliance.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man, everyone in this universe seems to hate birds.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, everyone in this universe seems to hate birds.

How could anyone hate birds?

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the littlest prince posted:

How could anyone not hate annoying flying rodents that poo poo all over the place?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So what you're saying is, the Alkari are spacefaring pigeons. Yeah, okay.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

General Revil posted:

How could anyone not hate annoying flying rodents that poo poo all over the place?

Those are bats.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Xenocides posted:

Those are bats.
Birds aren't bugs

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Birds and bats can face off, guano-a-guano, at any time.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

We shall fight in air and in space. We shall never surrender! :hist101:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

the littlest prince posted:

They won't until the Asian Koel wakes them up too early in the morning every motherfucking day

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm not sure i've ever seen a game get so hot so fast. those pirates HAD to have something to do with this.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Rappaport posted:

We shall fight in air and in space. We shall never surrender!

Very nice propaganda poster. I heartily approve.

coolguye posted:

those pirates HAD to have something to do with this.

They injected some solid comedy into the situation at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

This update will be a little unusual, as it's the other period where a crash wiped out part of the writeup.

Episode XII: 2425 -

I manage to swing one useful tech trade: Sublight to the Sakkra for Reduced Waste 80%. It's not a lot but it'll help. Also, fun fact: nobody has Planetery Shields yet. After 125 years.

A solid base, but definitely well behind in most areas despite it.

It was about at this point that other races starting snatching the hostile Inferno-and-worse systems.

Finally, we are almost to the point of our first robotics upgrade.

When I did arrive, I think I took Improved Space Scanner here. HyperX Rockets came in shortly afterwards as well.

Didn't get to finish it though. This rather droll agent stole it from the Klackons.

And, probably fueled by a moderate amount of bribing, we started working our way out of the conflicts with this deal.

With the Sakkra now sending transports to Berel every second or third year(proving that NAP is basically useless other than maintaining goodwill), these will actually be pretty important in reducing the number of people I have to regularly transfer in. This may be the dumbest undeclared war I've yet seen. Also, Fusion Drives.

Class IV Deflectors and Impulse Drives -- that's 4-for-4 on engine upgrades -- arrive next. The Meklar now appear to clearly have the upper hand in the race for second Council nominee, so any designs on a quick diplomatic win have been shelved. No matter, we're progressing and I'm feeling confident in an eventual win. Definition of 'eventual' in terms of the timeline may vary.

The latest defense, about the 10th one(roughly). Typically we've been slightly outgunned. This time they lost 52 million, with only 39 million Alkari deaths. For now, the PDS has granted us a significant advantage. Five colonies in the surrounding area regularly send in more colonists/troops, and it would be nice to have more of those reinforcements focused on matters of economic importance. This will help, but it's a situation that will bear regular monitoring in case the lizards upgrade their capabilities.

The year before the vote, so this won't help us there -- but with 14 planets at 20M more each, this is a significant boost. The next choice is between Controlled Radiated Environment and Soil Enrichment. Both will very much be helpful but the sooner we get Radiated tech the better.

As anticipated, INT-986 is our foe here instead of Kaxal. Given his xenophobic tendencies that's a bit problematic.

** Sakkra(5) -- INT-986, as expected given their alliance.
** Klackons(5) -- Redwing. Oh, how the winds have changed. Politics makes strange bedfellows and all that. And this is just half of the voting power the bugs previously possessed.
** Bulrathi(4) -- Abstain.
** Mrrshan(4) -- Abstain.
** Meklar(7)

Look at how evenly the galaxy is distributed now! We have 9 votes, a number I expect to be significantly higher next time around. With the count 12-5 out of 34 possible, we can just barely be the smarmy manipulators you all know and ... well, you all know. We vote INT-986, leaving the Meklar one vote shy of victory and the Klackons scratching their heads. It's a vote for extending peace.

I'll probably throw another update up tomorrow given how short this one was, to move things forwards with a little more substance.