Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

He’s at the end of a side area that starts with a V but I can’t remember what it’s called. There’s a chained up dragon there

There's also one when you leave the ruins early in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

First criticism: I miss the orbs system.

I hate crafting systems. It drove me nuts in Prey. Not everything has to be Skyrim.

Give me the shotgun then maybe give me a booster for it. Otherwise give me the shotgun, then the machine gun, then the BFG.

I'm spending way too much time in a menu screen for a hack and slash game.

I pretty much agree.

While i've cranked the difficulty down to easy because the combat was getting a bit too frustrating for it to be fun, i'm not really finding any value in the multitude of tweakable setups for marginal gain.

It all really just makes the collecting poo poo a chore because of how much trash you can end up finding despite there being a limited number of things to collect.

I'm hoping there's some kind of payoff but at the minute i find myself just hoarding all of my money because i've no idea if there's a better item round the corner or if i should just waste it on upgrading a piece of poo poo.

edit: I'd rather i just came across plot gear that made me stronger to be honest or one set of armor i just keep upgrading for me and the boy based on the enemies i'm killing.

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 21, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

He’s at the end of a side area that starts with a V but I can’t remember what it’s called. There’s a chained up dragon there

Hmm I'm not sure.. I don't think I saw that. I just got off the peak of the mountain

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kin posted:

I pretty much agree.

While i've cranked the difficulty down to easy because the combat was getting a bit too frustrating for it to be fun, i'm not really finding any value in the multitude of tweakable setups for marginal gain.

It all really just makes the collecting poo poo a chore because of how much trash you can end up finding despite there being a limited number of things to collect.

I'm hoping there's some kind of payoff but at the minute i find myself just hoarding all of my money because i've no idea if there's a better item round the corner or if i should just waste it on upgrading a piece of poo poo.

edit: I'd rather i just came across plot gear that made me stronger to be honest or one set of armor i just keep upgrading for me and the boy based on the enemies i'm killing.

You're fine upgrading individual armor sets and keeping them for several hours, tbh. The main bottleneck for crafting isn't hacksilver, its the resources and the best armors in the game are going to require resources from specific places/enemies. Fortunately, said resources can't be used for any thing other than their associated armor pieces.

The crafting system as a whole is pretty pointless and definitely feels like more of a scratch-off-a-bulletpoint rather than a well-thought out system. Hopefully they just scrap it for the next game.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like a dumbass but I can rarely find all 3 tunes for the runic magic chests. I’ve just gave up on half of them

They are the only place to get items to upgrade your health/rage bars so I wouldn't give up so easily

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It says you can sell the artifacts your collect (Lost Toys, Ship Heads, etc) and that they're useless otherwise. They are all part of their own mini-quest tho, so if I only have 6/7 of the heads, and I sell the 6, and I find #7 later, will the quest still end with fireworks or just be lol sorry you sold the others you have found 1/7 now. I'm guessing I can sell them, but games can be frustratingly stupid at times.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Philthy posted:

It says you can sell the artifacts your collect (Lost Toys, Ship Heads, etc) and that they're useless otherwise. They are all part of their own mini-quest tho, so if I only have 6/7 of the heads, and I sell the 6, and I find #7 later, will the quest still end with fireworks or just be lol sorry you sold the others you have found 1/7 now. I'm guessing I can sell them, but games can be frustratingly stupid at times.

You can safely sell them before completing the set

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I switched to Classic combat controls and man it is way better. Square and triangle are your light and heavy and R1 is call axe and you press R2 to Boy. I find it a lot more natural feeling.

Also holy crap I just met baba yaga???

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

1stGear posted:

You're fine upgrading individual armor sets and keeping them for several hours, tbh. The main bottleneck for crafting isn't hacksilver, its the resources and the best armors in the game are going to require resources from specific places/enemies. Fortunately, said resources can't be used for any thing other than their associated armor pieces.

The crafting system as a whole is pretty pointless and definitely feels like more of a scratch-off-a-bulletpoint rather than a well-thought out system. Hopefully they just scrap it for the next game.

It says "crafting" but it's literally a purchasing system with a bottleneck component (like svartelheim steel) to make sure you're solving chest riddles to earn stuff. It's not like your farming mats. Solve the chest puzzles because they're fun and then buy everything in the shop because a new tier of steel is probably around the corner. Your xp and hacksilver income skyrockets as you go, so just spend it. Also sell the poo poo you find that's marked useless.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
can atreus

SHUT
THE gently caress
UP

when im fighting

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

JBP posted:

It says "crafting" but it's literally a purchasing system with a bottleneck component (like svartelheim steel) to make sure you're solving chest riddles to earn stuff. It's not like your farming mats. Solve the chest puzzles because they're fun and then buy everything in the shop because a new tier of steel is probably around the corner. Your xp and hacksilver income skyrockets as you go, so just spend it. Also sell the poo poo you find that's marked useless.

I guess it's more that all of those items i'm unlocking feel like they're marginally different which makes it over complicated on what to equip.

At present i've just gone with everything that raises strength because i can't be hosed doing any kind of min/maxing and i've barely touched the runes or enchantments or whatever because i've got loving loads of them and i really can't be arsed swapping things in and out all the time.

For example, i just found out that when you fill a slot on a piece of gear then swap out the piece of gear the thing you put in the slot isn't auto transferred over. So you've gotta manually swap that poo poo about. It's tedious.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

I switched to Classic combat controls and man it is way better. Square and triangle are your light and heavy and R1 is call axe and you press R2 to Boy. I find it a lot more natural feeling.

Also holy crap I just met baba yaga???

Think I may try this out when I get home from work. Didn't mind the Dark Souls-esque control scheme but shoulders suit a slower action game more. Now I'm getting more abilities and the combat is speeding up I'm thinking face buttons will feel a whole lot better.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MY DUDES please don’t encourage taking away the loot and crafting in the future, it is fiercely my poo poo <3

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
why is the combat stiff as gently caress

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Kawabata posted:

can atreus

SHUT
THE gently caress
UP

when im fighting

Actually he lets you know when you're about to be hit from behind so you can dodge.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kin posted:

I guess it's more that all of those items i'm unlocking feel like they're marginally different which makes it over complicated on what to equip.

At present i've just gone with everything that raises strength because i can't be hosed doing any kind of min/maxing and i've barely touched the runes or enchantments or whatever because i've got loving loads of them and i really can't be arsed swapping things in and out all the time.

For example, i just found out that when you fill a slot on a piece of gear then swap out the piece of gear the thing you put in the slot isn't auto transferred over. So you've gotta manually swap that poo poo about. It's tedious.

I assume later on it will matter more but I did the same. I took the highest strength and focussed on smiting anyone that needed to be smoten. I guess try not the sweat that detail too much. I was a bit like holy poo poo there is so much to think about, but those stats seem most useful way later on for unlocking particular rune upgrades (like having 100+ in a stat adds an effect to particular attacks etc)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kawabata posted:

you can cancel into a parry at almost any point in your movement, that's like the opposite of stiff

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Over There posted:

Actually he lets you know when you're about to be hit from behind so you can dodge.

No kidding. When Atreus says to dodge, just dodge. Don’t think about it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kawabata posted:

How far in? After the game opens up you'll find yourself in classic god of war battles against shitloads of enemies and you axe will behave a bit like the chaos blades did with upgrades.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Over There posted:

the indicator does that already, and it's silent

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Kawabata posted:

the indicator does that already, and it's silent

You sound like a stiff

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Combat feels great to me, but the camera movement feels pretty stiff for how much you're doing.

And I swear quick turn doesn't face me backwards half the time and instead he turns to the side.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wish you could hit a toggle so Atreus will shut the gently caress up when you die because shut the gently caress up Atreus I know I’m dead

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Over There posted:

You sound like a stiff

sorry i insulted your favorite videogame, will try to be more careful in the future

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Calaveron posted:

I wish you could hit a toggle so Atreus will shut the gently caress up when you die because shut the gently caress up Atreus I know I’m dead

yeah when im about to get hit it's borderline ok to always yell at me but huh atreus i know im not looking so good

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Honestly though, Atreus’ audio cues are really well done. Whether it’s in or out of combat it’s a smooth flow of info.

Plus his smart rear end comments are great.

A:. “You gonna carry that thing everywhere?

K: “...I just might”

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

esperterra posted:

Combat feels great to me, but the camera movement feels pretty stiff for how much you're doing.

And I swear quick turn doesn't face me backwards half the time and instead he turns to the side.

Yeah quick turn is not working for me either and while I like the fact that you can dodge mid animation, it's a weird mix of weighty axe swings and tekken-like comboing enemies while in the air that looks and feels, huh, awkward? Maybe I need to get used to it, I don't know.

This looks like an incredible game, I'm just not as impressed by combat as I am by everything else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Hey look something over here!"
"SHUT UP BOY I'M COLLECTING GARBAGE"

I like that Atreus, like Ellie, lets you know which way is the Continue The Game path so you can explore side stuff at your leisure.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Atreus is perfect and if you hate him please return your copy of Dad of War.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

precision posted:

"Hey look something over here!"
"SHUT UP BOY I'M COLLECTING GARBAGE"

I like that Atreus, like Ellie, lets you know which way is the Continue The Game path so you can explore side stuff at your leisure.

He pointed out one of the runes for the chest I couldn't find, which was nice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Over There posted:

He pointed out one of the runes for the chest I couldn't find, which was nice.

Yeah, he's cool. I hope he kills a god at some point.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

The Kratos/Atreus exchange during the whetstone sidequest is amazing in a way I never thought a GOW could pull off.

A: What kind of person kills his own father!
K: Shut up boy.
A: Seriously though!
K: I said shut up! You just don’t get it!
K: Moving on...

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Holy poo poo Veithurgard. Having to dodge dragon shots while killing draugr fast really teach yu about dodging and using your arsenal
Also good lines with Brok
Brok : If I wanted business with Aesir, I would have put a shop outsitde a brothel. Or a fighting pit.
Disappoing Son : Did he say Aesir ? Like... gods ?
Dad of the year : No.
Kratos does not want his son to learn about god habits.

Zanael fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 21, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oh man the part where the elves grab your boy and Kratos goes into a rage and you KO like 20 elves owwwwwnnnnnnss.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just a yes/no for those who have already beaten it:

Does the game ever actually explain the basic premise? I mean does it ever explicitly tell you who BOY's mom was, how Kratos knew her, why Kratos is in Nordicland, etc?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also: does it wrap up well or end with dangling sequel bait?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Calaveron posted:

Nightmares are the wooooorst

The power that let's you tag up to 3* enemies with the R1 throw makes them trivial to deal with.

*you can tag 5 with the 2nd level.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

revenants are pure loving cancer

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Kawabata posted:

revenants are pure loving cancer

They are pretty easy. Atreus' arrows knock them solid and stop them teleporting so you can easily whack them to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Hahahaha to that guy who was asking if you get new weapons, oh, you get a new weapon