Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have other posts gotten rid of the executive branch framed portraits everywhere? I think the JBLM post commander got sick of looking at pissbaby's scowl so now all the frames are gone and it's just a single poster with the JBLM commanders on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I don’t know. That place is really hit or miss. Don’t forget about Graham.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
don't buy a bmw cash.

pay $239/mo for it

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

bulletsponge13 posted:

I went through OSUT, and if I had a dollar for Everytime I heard "You'll learn this at your unit" or some similar variation, I probably could have bought a BMW in cash.

There were whole things I didn't learn there. I never got to family fire a 50 or Mk. I didn't get the class on anti armor weapons (besides the AT-4). Nothing on ID'ing enemy equipment, enemy weapon capabilities, or tactics (I know we fight everyone, but nearly everyone we would fight are based on Soviet poo poo). Nothing on Uniform wear, military courtesy beyond parade rest and salute officers. Nothing on thermal sights, laser designators, or night fighting. I didn't even see a pair of NODs there. The only battle drill we were taught was squad assault on fixed postion. No call for fire training, no 9 line. I wasn't taught poo poo on a Bradley or Humvee. I know I went through loving forever ago, but none of that poo poo, and even other important poo poo- that's just off the top of my head- was ever taught to me. I ended up deploying within a month of getting assigned to my unit, and was in combat within two months after finishing leave.
I am completely ok with making our dudes more effective with longer training.

poo poo, I spent about a year in TRADOC and still most of what I wound up doing at my two duty stations had nothing to do with what I learned in basic/AIT. Maaaaybe 5% of what I routinely did had anything to do with TRADOC training.

Amusingly, my job now probably has more to do with what I learned in AIT than my MOS did.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
room clearing is one of those things that, to someone who hasn't got a clue, seems like it is the same in every unit. but actually doing it in several units was hair pulling. when i got new guys i heard "in basic we did this" more than should be appropriate.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Same, but change basic to the 82nd, and room clearing to everything.

And then arguments for the next 3 hours and no training actually being done.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

bulletsponge13 posted:

I went through OSUT, and if I had a dollar for Everytime I heard "You'll learn this at your unit" or some similar variation, I probably could have bought a BMW in cash.

There were whole things I didn't learn there. I never got to family fire a 50 or Mk. I didn't get the class on anti armor weapons (besides the AT-4). Nothing on ID'ing enemy equipment, enemy weapon capabilities, or tactics (I know we fight everyone, but nearly everyone we would fight are based on Soviet poo poo). Nothing on Uniform wear, military courtesy beyond parade rest and salute officers. Nothing on thermal sights, laser designators, or night fighting. I didn't even see a pair of NODs there. The only battle drill we were taught was squad assault on fixed postion. No call for fire training, no 9 line. I wasn't taught poo poo on a Bradley or Humvee. I know I went through loving forever ago, but none of that poo poo, and even other important poo poo- that's just off the top of my head- was ever taught to me. I ended up deploying within a month of getting assigned to my unit, and was in combat within two months after finishing leave.
I am completely ok with making our dudes more effective with longer training.

We did all these things at 19d osut which was uhh 19 weeks or so. I'm not saying it was good training, but still. I'm kind of shocked that 11b doesn't. What the gently caress are those "follow me" douches even doing??

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It's been routinely shown that while scouts can get weird, 19-series training is just way better than 11b, in my personal experience.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hey there, bad decision buddy.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

We learned a lot of good stuff, but none of it prepared me for combat. My DS did their best to teach us pertinent stuff, and better than what TRADOC dictated, but there was never enough time to get into the dirt of things. It was always a bare scrape of the surface. It did teach me that I will waste hours of my life checking boxes on things that don't matter and can be done in five minutes more effectively...which came in handy when we later had to do SHARP training every three loving weeks.
In fairness to TRADOC, I went through in summer 2002, so the lessons learned in the Forever Wars hadn't been learned or passed down yet.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mods change my name posted:

What the gently caress are those "follow me" douches even doing??

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bulletsponge13 posted:

In fairness to TRADOC, I went through in summer 2002, so the lessons learned in the Forever Wars hadn't been learned or passed down yet.

And now TRADOC is stuck saying "stop teaching lessons of the forever war; they won't apply if BM-30s are raining hellfire on you from 80+ kilometers out based on your dumb FOB layout is being spotted by UAS."

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

bulletsponge13 posted:

In fairness to TRADOC

lol

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I deployed about 4 months after I got out of cav scout OSUT and had like literally no pre mob training. Straight from the hood to Iraq and was put in an infantry platoon to bolster numbers. I felt pretty on par with a bunch of dudes who had a few months of pre mob training, it was mainly learning their SOP's.

But we were all guard so it's not like we're talking about a competent force

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

mlmp08 posted:

It's been routinely shown that while scouts can get weird, 19-series training is just way better than 11b, in my personal experience.

Not for 19Ks. I dont think MANOUVER EXCELLENCY CENTER of excellent excelling has yet churned out a single tanker that knew How to do their job on Its entire span of existence. gently caress tradoc.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It’s kind of weird how many of us are/were scouts

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
In retrospect I'm really mad at myself for not taking Patriot Systems something or another with a $20k bonus that was offered to me at meps in 2003

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

In retrospect I'm really mad at myself for not taking Patriot Systems something or another with a $20k bonus that was offered to me at meps in 2003

I got a $20k bonus in 2006.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

I got a $20k bonus in 2006.

How's your Camaro now?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

How's your Camaro now?

BAZINGA

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

How's your Camaro now?

I used the first half of the bonus to pay off credit card bills and the second half on a new laptop and... I think credit card bills.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

fire in the hole!

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
That seems like a great way to get super cancer

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That seems like a great way to get super cancer

Still not as good as a burn-pit, though :smith:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Icon Of Sin posted:

Still not as good as a burn-pit, though :smith:

"At least u got a combat patch " - some e2 at Riley

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

fire in the hole!

Read about the French Soldier who got tungsten poisoning while doing something similar.

http://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lancet/PIIS0140-6736(05)62194-0.pdf

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 14, 2018

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
SECURE THE GROG

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah I feel like the rocket fuel residue in an at4 is bad for your health

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

yeah I feel like the rocket fuel residue in an at4 Army is bad for your health

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

yeah I feel like the army is bad

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

fire in the hole!

backblast area all beer heyooooo

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Holy gently caress

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

Holy gently caress

:catstare:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Naked Bear posted:

Holy gently caress

That was my basic training battalion :catstare:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Neo-Nordic pagans are the worst

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
God drat, we just had to send the company that has no UMO trained or experienced people that wait until the last minute to coordinate the return of their equipment despite me giving them the POCs to plan this the day after they get there.

"Why can't our tricons just magically appear in the motor pool on a Sunday???"

Thank you for planning your poo poo to return on a weekend when nobody is working and not letting me know until literally the day before.

If this poo poo could arrive one day later none of this bulkshit would even matter.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
One of the better phrases I heard in the Army was, "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
yeah the best phrases you learn in the army usually have nothing to do with the army.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

One of the better phrases I heard in the Army was, "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."

Prior planning prevents piss poor performance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Prior planning prevents piss poor performance

gently caress you, got mine