Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What other hobbies? :confused:

...:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Is anyone else using the latest beta Corsair software (the one they're calling iCUE) with their K-series and is it just as much of a pile of poo poo as it is for me? Every time I try to change color presets the entire application locks up for minutes at a time before randomly deciding to start working again.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Good ol' CUE, Corsair boards are actually pretty decent except for that piece of poo poo trash-rear end garbage software (see post history for more)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got one of the Havit low profile boards to try out the low profile Kailh switches and I have to say I really like them. I could take or leave the Havit board itself; the lightning seems flickery and the on-keyboard buttons to control it (while better than software which will definitely not be compatible with anything in 20 years) are confusing with their poorly translated manual that is essentially a pamphlet. The low profile switches are definitely nice feeling and I'm that guy who only likes Model M's, Cherry MX Greens and blacks, and ALPS clicky. I think the shorter travel makes the actuation feel more definitive.

I'd love to do a project to fit these onto a laptop but that's one of those things I'll probably never get around to because it would involve a bunch of heavy chassis modification and 3d printing a whole fat middle piece for the laptop.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Rexxed posted:

I got one of the Havit low profile boards to try out the low profile Kailh switches and I have to say I really like them. I could take or leave the Havit board itself; the lightning seems flickery and the on-keyboard buttons to control it (while better than software which will definitely not be compatible with anything in 20 years) are confusing with their poorly translated manual that is essentially a pamphlet. The low profile switches are definitely nice feeling and I'm that guy who only likes Model M's, Cherry MX Greens and blacks, and ALPS clicky. I think the shorter travel makes the actuation feel more definitive.

I'd love to do a project to fit these onto a laptop but that's one of those things I'll probably never get around to because it would involve a bunch of heavy chassis modification and 3d printing a whole fat middle piece for the laptop.

I have the full size variant (HV-KB395L), and it’s pretty decent. The switches are a bit too light for me though.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I have pretty intense calluses on my left fingerpads because I'm cool and play guitar. The 2 WASD kits I've tried aren't aggressive enough to differentiate from the standard sets, but I added a tiny skateboard griptape square to the W and it feels awesome. Are there any keycaps out there with that ~90 grit sandpaper feel?

mewse
May 2, 2006

spider wisdom posted:

I have pretty intense calluses on my left fingerpads because I'm cool and play guitar. The 2 WASD kits I've tried aren't aggressive enough to differentiate from the standard sets, but I added a tiny skateboard griptape square to the W and it feels awesome. Are there any keycaps out there with that ~90 grit sandpaper feel?

PBT is rougher in texture than ABS but I don't know if it's 90 grit rough.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

spider wisdom posted:

What you want are PPS keycaps but AFAIK they're a special groupbuy only kind of thing.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Interesting. I'd like to try 'em out but dunno if I can take that plunge. Maybe I'll try my hand at DIYing/retrofitting what I have.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Got my Velocifire TKL01. It's going to take some adjusting since the keys are actually slightly smaller than the keyboard I was using before, but it's nice. The spacebar is really light, though. The switch itself doesn't seem any lighter than any of the other ones when I take the bar off and press the switch itself, is it just that the extra mass of the space bar causes it to be easier to actuate? It's also not too much louder than the keyboard I was using before, which is nice.

Any recommendations for a cheap wrist rest for a tkl board? This is much taller than I'm used to and I think my wrists are at a bad angle.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 21, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Got my Velocifire TKL01. It's going to take some adjusting since the keys are actually slightly smaller than the keyboard I was using before, but it's nice. The spacebar is really light, though. The switch itself doesn't seem any lighter than any of the other ones when I take the bar off and press the switch itself, is it just that the extra mass of the space bar causes it to be easier to actuate? It's also not too much louder than the keyboard I was using before, which is nice.

Any recommendations for a cheap wrist rest for a tkl board? This is much taller than I'm used to and I think my wrists are at a bad angle.

Does it have feet? The glorious gaming wrist rests look ok, and the grifiti ones on amazon get good reviews.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mewse posted:

Does it have feet? The glorious gaming wrist rests look ok, and the grifiti ones on amazon get good reviews.

Yeah, it does have feet. Unfortunately I just noticed that the Y key is working really intermittently unless I really bash on it. Is there anything I could check on there to see if it's something I could fix rather than having to send it back as broken? I'd rather not have to wait another week or so for a replacement.

E: Huh. Switched keycaps with another key, it still did the same thing. Switched them back, now it's working. I guess it just wasn't seated right, and I must have put it on more firmly?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 21, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Some keyboard makers use a heavier switch of the same type for the space bar to combat the extra weight. For example, the MX Green is the spacebar switch for a MX Blue keyboard, Black for Red, Grey for Black, Clear for Brown, etc. Not every manufacturer does that but it used to be common before the new mechanical renaissance (like 2012 and on when everyone started making them). I think Cherry was probably surprised when people started buying hundreds of their spacebar switches for full board use.

mewse
May 2, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: Huh. Switched keycaps with another key, it still did the same thing. Switched them back, now it's working. I guess it just wasn't seated right, and I must have put it on more firmly?

Switch internals may have worked themselves in now

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Might be. It always worked when I pressed directly on the switch.

What’s the heavier version of a brown? I might see about snagging one of those in a while. I keep accidentally jumping in games because I’m used to resting my thumb on the space bar.

E: I'm dumb, just noticed you said that's a clear.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 22, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Might be. It always worked when I pressed directly on the switch.

What’s the heavier version of a brown? I might see about snagging one of those in a while. I keep accidentally jumping in games because I’m used to resting my thumb on the space bar.

E: I'm dumb, just noticed you said that's a clear.

Single switches are pretty cheap (I mean, buying them in bulk is a lot cheaper but if you just need one or two paying WASDkeyboards' markup isn't bad).
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts.html

You can also mod them with heavier springs (which again are usually bought in bulk) but since it requires desoldering the original switch it's probably just less trouble to swap it for a clear if you want to.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
I don't know if this is a dumb question, but do all mechanical keyboards require a lot of force to operate? I have really bad fingers/wrists/elbows, and stiff keyboards make my pain a lot worse, so I'm looking for something that's light and easy to use. I have an Apple Magic Keyboard at work and it's pretty okay, there isn't much travel distance on the keys and they move pretty easily. Any suggestions?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

GenJoe posted:

I don't know if this is a dumb question, but do all mechanical keyboards require a lot of force to operate? I have really bad fingers/wrists/elbows, and stiff keyboards make my pain a lot worse, so I'm looking for something that's light and easy to use. I have an Apple Magic Keyboard and work and it's pretty okay, there isn't much travel distance on the keys and they move pretty easily. Any suggestions?

no, look for Cherry Red or Brown switches to try out, both are 45g actuation which is pretty light. Or Topre makes a board that ranges from 30-50 depending on key position. Much pricier though

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Or speed silvers
https://www.cherrymx.de/en/products/mx-speed-silver.html

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Brown switches are actually lighter than my old came with the computer rubber dome keyboard.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Clicky switches can be very nice for light-touch keyboarding, too. The highest resistance can still be lower than what you'd find in a lot of rubber-cup keyboards.

I think Cherry MX Blues have a pretty light touch, personally, and they're easier to try out if you have a Best Buy or something around that stocks mechanical keyboards. If you want to go lighter, Kaihua (aka Kailh) Gold and Bronze switches may be worth looking into.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I'm buying an Niz Plum EC keyboard with 35g switches. Can anyone weigh in on if 10g springs under each key might be a better/worse typing experience than replacing the silicone sheet with 45g domes?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Just bought some box jades and SA Miami nights set to go with my double numberpad clueboard. We'll see how that turns out and if my neighbor breaks in to destroy the thing for waking him up.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Awesome, click bar + SA profile is awesome

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

GenJoe posted:

I don't know if this is a dumb question, but do all mechanical keyboards require a lot of force to operate? I have really bad fingers/wrists/elbows, and stiff keyboards make my pain a lot worse, so I'm looking for something that's light and easy to use. I have an Apple Magic Keyboard at work and it's pretty okay, there isn't much travel distance on the keys and they move pretty easily. Any suggestions?

While it's not really a thread favorite, the proprietary Logitech switches seem like they fit what you're looking for:
https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/articles/romer-g

When I tested them in a Best Buy, I found them to be too light and too short-travel to be good for me to type with in a business setting (though because of that, probably decent for gaming). That's my take, but I was exclusively looking for something heavy at the time, too.

Since Logitech has gone almost exclusively to those in their gaming keyboards, a demo keyboard should be really easy to find if you have a Best Buy nearby. However, it does look like they also have a "business looking" keyboard that uses those switches as well:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP6P08011

Gun Metal Cray
Apr 27, 2005

Pillbug
Soo... Any hot takes for deece rubber domes?

Been using an old KeyTronic ErgoForce as my daily driver for about a month, and I'm really liking it.
It absolutely sucks for gaming, but the typing experience is solid; smooth travel, surprisingly crisp tactile bump, no mushiness and nice thock-y sound as the key bottoms out.
Of course I'd much rather drive buckling spring, but as a silent and tactile board, it's great.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Gun Metal Cray posted:

Been using an old KeyTronic ErgoForce as my daily driver for about a month, and I'm really liking it.
It absolutely sucks for gaming, but the typing experience is solid; smooth travel, surprisingly crisp tactile bump, no mushiness and nice thock-y sound as the key bottoms out.
Of course I'd much rather drive buckling spring, but as a silent and tactile board, it's great.

Topre.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Gun Metal Cray posted:

that was the one cheap rubber dome people generally liked 5-10 years ago, and i don't see any reason that would change. Keytronic is a wonderful dinosaur. I love their garbage website https://keyboards.keytronic.com/home/keyboards/keyboards.html

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Zarin posted:

While it's not really a thread favorite, the proprietary Logitech switches seem like they fit what you're looking for:
https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/articles/romer-g

When I tested them in a Best Buy, I found them to be too light and too short-travel to be good for me to type with in a business setting (though because of that, probably decent for gaming). That's my take, but I was exclusively looking for something heavy at the time, too.

Since Logitech has gone almost exclusively to those in their gaming keyboards, a demo keyboard should be really easy to find if you have a Best Buy nearby. However, it does look like they also have a "business looking" keyboard that uses those switches as well:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP6P08011

Thanks, I bought one of the Havit low profile boards posted a little earlier in the thread. Unfortunately it's still too heavy. Heavier than my Apple Magic Keyboard and it's definitely a little straining for me to type on. I do like the low-profile aspect of it though.

I think I'll try the Logitech next, and if that's still too heavy I can try something with speed silvers. I'm not sure if I prefer linear/tactile/clicky, I guess we'll find that out.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Massdrop ALT keyboard drop is up. Basically a much better version of the WhiteFox with in-switch and underglow RGB or a 65% version of the Massdrop CTRL.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
That low profile is just ugly.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I really dislike that acrylic strip look

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

GenJoe posted:

I think I'll try the Logitech next, and if that's still too heavy I can try something with speed silvers. I'm not sure if I prefer linear/tactile/clicky, I guess we'll find that out.

Let me know how it is!

I figure I'll get one someday when my current gaming keyboard dies, but I'm in no rush for that just yet. My next purchase will probably be a WASD in company colors with MX Clears.

Unless I quit before my next promotion :v:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does anyone have the Logitech G513, and could comment on Romer tactile vs. Cherry MX Browns?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Ynglaur posted:

Does anyone have the Logitech G513, and could comment on Romer tactile vs. Cherry MX Browns?

Not the same model but the guy does comment on the switch extensively:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbW4OT7aDuA

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Wow that guy hates both Romer and Cherry Browns. I'll probably just have to find a Best Buy with one on display.

mewse
May 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ25-gUTzQk

Chyro's teardown of box royals

Ynglaur posted:

Wow that guy hates both Romer and Cherry Browns. I'll probably just have to find a Best Buy with one on display.

Romers are weird because they were designed around a light pipe down the center but dampened tactile switches are generally pretty nice (I've got gateron silent browns in my work keyboard)

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Hi I'm on the market to get a new keyboard now, and I want a simple mechanical keyboard. The last one I got was a K70 lux, and now its ESC and F1 keys are beginning to chatter (I use both of those keys pretty regularly while gaming, Though I'm also having some problems confirming if this is actually chatter or not).

There's a ton of other stuff I didn't like about the keyboard, such as:
- Its firmware and the Corsair Utility Engine being buggy and not updating properly
- If my computer ever loses power and regains it my keyboard suddenly lights up and refuses to take any input until I unplug and replug it in while the computer's on. Also if this happens the keyboard will start flashing all its red key lights in a wave like some stupid lightshow
- Various status lights on the keyboard such as capslock or numlock get stuck on, even though capslock/numlock might not actually be on.
- Apparently having this keyboard plugged in sometimes causes my computer's BIOS screen to last longer (i.e. slower boot time).

So I'm looking for something a lot less complicated, more utilitarian for gaming. The board I use right now I think uses cherry blues? I read the OP and clear/brown sounded pretty good too.

So in this day and age what's a good simple 100%-size keyboard? The WASD choice in the OP would be good if even the most basic options on it weren't so expensive.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro L in the variant that matches your budget. Don't worry, you don't need to install the software if you don't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
The white variant's price range looks like it's in my ballpark, thanks.

The CoolerMaster site has variants that don't have any LEDs at all, but they aren't the 'Pro' type (they're just 'Masterkeys L' instead of 'Masterkeys Pro L White LED'). What's exactly the difference there aside from LEDs?