Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
From what I gather, their main innovations were centred about battery tech and charging tech, and also showing that electric cars didn't have to be small, slow things that are unpleasant to drive.

I think electric cars were inevitable, but Tesla helped to move things forward. At the same time, I don't see them maintaining that kind of leadership, because other companies are benefitting from their technology, but they're by and large not benefitting from the collective knowledge of the automotive industry in other areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i would. but it was unrelated to my point.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ccs posted:

How much has Tesla done for the popularization/adoption of the electric car? From an idea that seemed dead 10 years ago to its popularity now with other car companies getting involved, Tesla seems to have been a driving force. But I'm not sure if that's just the way they like to spin it and electric cars were an inevitability.

I think they totally made electric cars a thing in people's mind. Nice electric cars, not tiny weird things.

Now that they've done this the people who already know how to produce cars in volume, while making a profit, with fewer quality control problems, with interiors befitting the costs of the vehicle and with established sales and service networks are likely to take over.

Thanks, Tesla!

Confusion
Apr 3, 2009

PT6A posted:

From what I gather, their main innovations were centred about battery tech and charging tech, and also showing that electric cars didn't have to be small, slow things that are unpleasant to drive.

I think electric cars were inevitable, but Tesla helped to move things forward. At the same time, I don't see them maintaining that kind of leadership, because other companies are benefitting from their technology, but they're by and large not benefitting from the collective knowledge of the automotive industry in other areas.

I don't think Tesla contributed much technologically. The one thing you can credit them with is making an aspirational electric car, one that people want not just because its electric, but because it is a status symbol in its own right. Basically they did good marketing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PT6A posted:

From what I gather, their main innovations were centered about battery tech and charging tech, and also showing that electric cars didn't have to be small, slow things that are unpleasant to drive.

None of this is true. Their battery tech is the same slapping together commodity lithium everyone else was already doing. Their charging is completely typical too, except that they insist on using different charging ports from the main standards. And they hardly invented the fast ok to drive electric car either.

Mostly it just seems like you're reading off their latest PR sheet unthinkingly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fishmech posted:

None of this is true. Their battery tech is the same slapping together commodity lithium everyone else was already doing. Their charging is completely typical too, except that they insist on using different charging ports from the main standards. And they hardly invented the fast ok to drive electric car either.

Mostly it just seems like you're reading off their latest PR sheet unthinkingly.

On the battery tech, yes I will admit I was wrong on that, but in terms of charging they did specifically create a good "network" of supercharging stations for their cars. Which I suppose isn't the same thing as the technology itself, but it did help to drive adoption.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PT6A posted:

On the battery tech, yes I will admit I was wrong on that, but in terms of charging they did specifically create a good "network" of supercharging stations for their cars. Which I suppose isn't the same thing as the technology itself, but it did help to drive adoption.

A network that only works for their cars, of which they haven't sold very many in comparison to other electric vehicles like the Nissan Leaf, or increasingly the many European models of electric cars.

Mainly because Tesla vehicles are still massively expensive.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Confusion posted:

I don't think Tesla contributed much technologically. The one thing you can credit them with is making an aspirational electric car, one that people want not just because its electric, but because it is a status symbol in its own right. Basically they did good marketing.

it helps that the press has been repeating their marketing line nonstop for years now

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Moatman posted:

If you were offered 100 million dollars to run Yahoo would you turn it down? Even if you knew it would end as badly as Mayer's term?

Separate rich idiots from 100 million dollars, in exchange for sitting in a comfy chair for a year or two? Why is this even a question.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Chances of Tesla running low on funds and being bought by say Honda or Toyota? (With Musk exit, of course.)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eschaton posted:

Chances of Tesla running low on funds and being bought by say Honda or Toyota? (With Musk exit, of course.)

Extremely low, what would be worth buying? Any patents could be licensed or purchased more cheaply than buying the entire company debt and all. And I doubt Toyota wants NUMMI back after Musk got his... uh, musk, all over it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TheFluff posted:

The Internet Was A Mistake, featuring Rich “Lowtax” Kyanka, Richard Stallman, et al
I loved how they went to print with Lowtax making a Las Vegas shooter joke

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

enki42 posted:

Hating on Marissa Mayer seems almost quaint now. She did what, took a garbage fire of a company and maybe poured a little gas on it so it could burn faster?
It's worth noting that Mayer did exactly what the board wanted her to: dump the company's remaining resources into a desperate push to reinvent itself, recreate the glory years, and become relevant again.

The alternative would have been to give up early, close down the nonprofitable product lines, down-size, and milk the last few dollars out of current lines of business. Then give investors the remaining money and let them put it in other companies that can actually grow.

It may be a career ender, but I'd be happy to become CEO of some dying company that knows it's dying and doesn't waste time trying to get people interested in buggy whips again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Extremely low, what would be worth buying? Any patents could be licensed or purchased more cheaply than buying the entire company debt and all. And I doubt Toyota wants NUMMI back after Musk got his... uh, musk, all over it

A factory that murders people to transfer employees you hate to?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Barudak posted:

A factory that murders people to transfer employees you hate to?

The perfect crime...

This sounds like it should be a Roger Corman film.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I thought Tesla had opened their patents up to accelerate adoption of electric cars.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I thought Tesla had opened their patents up to accelerate adoption of electric cars.

Probably not an obligation that transfers to whoever purchases the patents in a chapter 7.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ShadowHawk posted:

It's worth noting that Mayer did exactly what the board wanted her to: dump the company's remaining resources into a desperate push to reinvent itself, recreate the glory years, and become relevant again.

Yes, but she was bad at it. See her big bet on Tumblr, for instance. It might be okay to make the purchase, but then you need to follow through immediately and monetize.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yes, but she was bad at it. See her big bet on Tumblr, for instance. It might be okay to make the purchase, but then you need to follow through immediately and monetize.

Tumblr has been monetized for years though?

Mercury Ballistic posted:

That's just more marketing fluff, the big thing they "opened" was some patents on charging mechanisms that are irrelevant as they don't meet industry standards (and it was clear they were doing that to try to get more people to build charging systems compatible with Tesla cars).

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

But Tumblr is going to be the next PDF!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

eschaton posted:

But Tumblr is going to be the next PDF!

the next windows, even

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I can't remember who posted the link to "The Internet was a Mistake" but thanks for the link. I'm only part-way through it, but it's excellent and thoughtful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It really comes down to that the foundations of the modern internet are sand, superficiality and an advertising bubble, leading to a race to the bottom where platforms are terrified of doing anything to deal with bad actors or allow the formation of stable communities when it might reveal the emperor has no clothes.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It really comes down to that the foundations of the modern internet are sand, superficiality and an advertising bubble, leading to a race to the bottom where platforms are terrified of doing anything to deal with bad actors or allow the formation of stable communities when it might reveal the emperor has no clothes.

This but literally all media ever.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

hobbesmaster posted:

I've said it before,the tesla brand might be worth it for a oem looking to bolster their profile,mainly in the us.VW for example.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Ccs posted:

How much has Tesla done for the popularization/adoption of the electric car? From an idea that seemed dead 10 years ago to its popularity now with other car companies getting involved, Tesla seems to have been a driving force. But I'm not sure if that's just the way they like to spin it and electric cars were an inevitability.

Tesla made EV's cool.

Many of the Teslas I see in the wealthy areas are 'P' models, purchased for their superior performance.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

PT6A posted:

Here's the history, in brief.

GM's EV1 innovated control systems with basically a massive amplifier delivering AC to the motor. When the EV1 was killed, the folks who worked on that formed AC Propulsion. ACP created a "proof of concept" called the T-Zero, a sports car loaded with LiOn laptop batteries that was quick enough to out drag race Ferraris and Corvettes (see YouTube for videos).

Musk bought those folks in and launched the Roadster using a Lotus 'mule'. That enabled him to fund the development of the S.

The real achievement was launching the Tesla Model S into the luxury sedan market, the first real car Tesla released, and beating Mercedes Model S, BMW 7-Series etc. in sales.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

It's a shame Musk infested Tesla, and rewrote its history but I don't know how it would have gotten as much investment without the Cult of Musk.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

The most amazing thing about this chart is that the Genesis G90 is on it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

GEMorris posted:

The most amazing thing about this chart is that the Genesis G90 is on it.

Starting MSRP $68,350

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

VideoGameVet posted:

Starting MSRP $68,350

so... close....

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I don't love tesla or musk, but it is hard to under emphasize the model s for a cultural perspective. It was the first ev that anyone besids nerdy envo types wanted.
The only real competition at the time was the leaf and while those were not terrible, they were ugly and had short range. A nice, fast, ev, that most important, would do 300mi on a charge, was goddamn amazing when it came out.
Oto, if you get on a model 3 waitlist when the bolt exists, you are a fool.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nm posted:

I don't love tesla or musk, but it is hard to under emphasize the model s for a cultural perspective. It was the first ev that anyone besids nerdy envo types wanted.
The only real competition at the time was the leaf and while those were not terrible, they were ugly and had short range. A nice, fast, ev, that most important, would do 300mi on a charge, was goddamn amazing when it came out.
Oto, if you get on a model 3 waitlist when the bolt exists, you are a fool.

You can drone on about how much you like the hastily slapped together garbage Model S and how ugly you think the Leaf is all you want (at least the Leaf's panels fit properly). There's still been far more Nissan Leafs sold than all Tesla models put together (namely, Nissan hit 300,000 Leafs sold in January this year, while Tesla is nudging up against 200,000 by the end of this quarter if they meet their own projections).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

fishmech posted:

You can drone on about how much you like the hastily slapped together garbage Model S and how ugly you think the Leaf is all you want (at least the Leaf's panels fit properly). There's still been far more Nissan Leafs sold than all Tesla models put together (namely, Nissan hit 300,000 Leafs sold in January this year, while Tesla is nudging up against 200,000 by the end of this quarter if they meet their own projections).

Wow, they sold more $30k cars than $80k cars?
The tesla was very important in changing the conversation around evs, both because it made it a status symbol and actually got people over range anxiety.

Edit: nissan build quality is only good compared to tesla (and fca).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nm posted:

Wow, they sold more $30k cars than $80k cars?
The tesla was very important in changing the conversation around evs, both because it made it a status symbol and actually got people over range anxiety.

Yeah that's why all the jerking off over Tesla is irrelevant.

No, Tesla "changing conversations" is entirely unimportant. When you look at what's actually being bought its not much in the way of expensive fast high range cars like the Teslas, it's mostly cheap not particularly fast short or medium range cars like the Leaf etc. The Bolt stands out right now as cheap but still high range, but it's already been joined in that market segment by some other manufacturers globally.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Hey, you know if you admit that Musk is a marketing wizard, it doesn't mean you have you admit Tesla is good.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nm posted:

Hey, you know if you admit that Musk is a marketing wizard, it doesn't mean you have you admit Tesla is good.

If he was such a marketing wizard, he'd be selling better. Instead he's just building hype among a small subset of nerds and a dwindling group of investors.

Joe Consumer isn't being lead to his Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf or BMW i3 by Elon Musk.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
His problem isn't with generating demand for the product though, it is with actually shipping it out the door.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Raldikuk posted:

His problem isn't with generating demand for the product though, it is with actually shipping it out the door.

Exactly. People are buying bolts because they can't get model 3s. The bolt is a better car, but being a better car isn't enough, the automotive world is littered with better cars that didn't sell as well as a well marketed lovely car.
There were wait lists on pt cruisers for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the porsche 918 spyder sold its entire stock in months, making it the most culturally important ev. checkmate